Hurley's Late Game Record With Wagner

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hurley's Late Game Record With Wagner

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wagner posted a 25-1 record when leading with five minutes to play in games.
When leading at half time, they finished with a 21-2 record.
Collectively over two years at Wagner, 34-3 with a lead under five minutes.
Guess Hurley got stupid when he came to URI, right?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Hurley's Late Game Record With Wagner

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Really, Rod. Come on. You can do better. You know they have close and late stats in the NBA. Give me that. Having a 20 point halftime lead and landing the plane is nothing. The fact is that most of Rhody's halftime leads were close. Games where coaching decisions have huge impacts. And, Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart, etc are strolling the NEC sidelines.

Are you going to give me his Saint Benedict's record next? 145-2 when leading at half? Too funny.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hey Rod why don't you "go and die." Like seriously how could you say that to Peeps on an online message board? I have no idea who Peeps is, but I couldn't just let that comment slide. That's the most pathetic thing a human can do. Like really? Wish death upon someone? You really have to get a grip as to what's acceptable to say on this cus that line you used was utterly ridiculous and you're the sole reason why I don't read this board that much anymore.
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

GBG, those are facts. Deal with it. It makes your hypotesis that Hurley can't coach late game situations ,
look ridiculous.
As for Rhody 15, I'm the reason you don't post? That's pretty lame.
As for what I wrote, if you think I was serious, that's what's ridiculous.
Go over to the PC board, where people are talking about people's mothers,
and challenging each other to bathroom stall fights, if you really want to see over the top
stuff.
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

I feel privileged. Rod only told me to go take a shit!

Sorry, Rod....! Coudn't resit. :)
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Don't you guys know the rules by now?

1. Everything Rod says is law
2. If you disagree he will go tell you to die
3. See Rules 1 and 2.
4. Hurley will have two miracles attributed to him in life, bypass established canon law, and be canonized on July 1, 2013 in saint Peter's square.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's OK 65. I get it.
You know, I could have combined the two and said,
"Eat shit and die".
GBG, don't go away mad. Just go away.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rod, I don't care what happens at the PC Scout board. I would like to think we can do better here. Your comment was over the line. You at times make yourself an easy target for these other posters who push your buttons with your over the top responses.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree, 100% ATP.
That whole story really got me going.
It was an over the line remark, for sure.
Having posters like peeps coming here for the sole
purpose of taunting us, over and over, unchecked, is
also over the line.
As for me being an easy target,
I'm not trying to win a popularity contest.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Rod is the type of fan that every school loves and, frankly, is good for the board. The natural tension between Kool-Aid drinkers and those that want to interject some reality into the arguments makes for a good message board. I hope he doesn't change. I could do without the name callling but I am a big boy. Whatever you think of the article, dismissing the idea out of hand is just naive. Coaches do this ALL THE TIME. I don't care what he says. The is coach speak. These guys look out for the career and family first. Nothing wrong with that if the school and fans hold them accountable for results. It's what strikes the natural balance.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Peeps is a troll, and I condone Rod's comments.

Good for you Rod!
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

In Hurley We Trust! All Else, Speak At You Own Risk!....Its not like he doesn't warn you!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's ironic for me to be in the Koolaide drinking category, after
13 years of being on the other side of the coin.
My opposition to Jerry D, began when he was an assistant coach, who thought he was
too good to stay in practices, or sign a little kid's autograph book.
Baron? I never like his hire from when I heard he was interviewing for the job.
I thought he did a good job at the beginning, but it became apparent to some
of us, that he just wasn't the man to get us to where we wanted to go.
So, yes, I wanted Hurley even when Baron was still here last year.
I'm in full support of him and his goals for the program. I like him as a person. I
like his no holds barred, no nonsense approach. I like his frankness.
If he accomplishes his vision, I'll be happy to continue to drink the Koolaide.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:It's OK 65. I get it.
You know, I could have combined the two and said,
"Eat shit and die".
GBG, don't go away mad. Just go away.
PS It does offend me that you used the words of a great American philosopher, Vince Neil, in such an untoward manner. I would rather you tell me to go and die.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, I don't think Hurley's high school coaching record can be overlooked. 9 years and just 20 losses is not a small sample size.

Even with better talent than most opponents, they played a national schedule against the best competition available (like his dad's team).

I don't think you achieve that kind of consistently very high winning percentage over almost a decade by ONLY having better talent. Coaching know-how comes into play to get a winning rate so high.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:Getting back to the original topic of this thread, I don't think Hurley's high school coaching record can be overlooked. 9 years and just 20 losses is not a small sample size.

Even with better talent than most opponents, they played a national schedule against the best competition available (like his dad's team).

I don't think you achieve that kind of consistently very high winning percentage over almost a decade by ONLY having better talent. Coaching know-how comes into play to get a winning rate so high.
The answer is that it depends. The hard part is building the program and getting kids, which I think he will do at Rhody but most of those Saint Benedict's wins with him at the helm were William Wallace with a war hammer on a horse going after an unarmed Englishman on the ground. Plus, again, he was coaching against guys who taught 5th period English not guys who get paid $1MM to coach.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We can deal with the bullying, disingenuous troll peeps in many ways.....I would refrain from wishing anyone bodily harm....I think Rod just got a bit carried away not knowing that peeps was just trying to help us know our place....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Mea culpa! Mea culpa! Maxima mea culpa!
I failed to see that peeps was just showing us the way, the truth
and the light!
How can I ever repent?
Sack cloth and ashes?
Being forced to watch Jersey Shore?
Listening to (c)rap?
Having my ex-wife visit?
What?
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I was just going to say Ramulous is throwing the same bait out over and over waiting for someone to bite...and then I saw Rod's response lol
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

RG, it was like a hanging curveball, just waiting to be hit out.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It is more poking fun at peeps than anyone here on our board.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It is funny to see Rod put in the "Kool Ade" category. The guy spent the last decade being called Mr. Negative. Anyways, I don't pin the clear second half struggles on Hurley. When you're playing with such a short roster you're going to run out of steam, and when you don't have a super-talented roster you can't build insurmountable leads. I felt coming into this year that this was a bridge year that we were playing only because the games were on the schedule, so in that sense I can be happy just that we are in so many games. I didn't think we would be. If these second half struggles continue to occur next season, I may entertain the idea of worrying about it.

For me, Hurley gets a pass on everything this year (an idea I am comfortable with only because I know he doesn't give himself or his team a pass), and if anything this team has exceeded my expectations. We can't be happy that the guy has managed to make this collection of "talent" competitive in almost every game? We have to bitch that we can't hold up in the second half? A lesser coach would routinely get blown out with this team, and ironically he would escape the criticism and people would chalk it up to "we're just not very good," which we aren't.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote:It is funny to see Rod put in the "Kool Ade" category. The guy spent the last decade being called Mr. Negative. Anyways, I don't pin the clear second half struggles on Hurley. When you're playing with such a short roster you're going to run out of steam, and when you don't have a super-talented roster you can't build insurmountable leads. I felt coming into this year that this was a bridge year that we were playing only because the games were on the schedule, so in that sense I can be happy just that we are in so many games. I didn't think we would be. If these second half struggles continue to occur next season, I may entertain the idea of worrying about it.

For me, Hurley gets a pass on everything this year (an idea I am comfortable with only because I know he doesn't give himself or his team a pass), and if anything this team has exceeded my expectations. We can't be happy that the guy has managed to make this collection of "talent" competitive in almost every game? We have to bitch that we can't hold up in the second half? A lesser coach would routinely get blown out with this team, and ironically he would escape the criticism and people would chalk it up to "we're just not very good," which we aren't.
To kind of hammer this home a bit, looking beyond the Ws and Ls - URI is being outscored by 4.2 points per game this year. Last year, with an arguably more talented team, it was 6.9 points per game. Obviously, a bit of that is due to pace, but the Rams aren't really getting blown out in many games, and they're staying competitive with ranked and NCAA tournament teams.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm in Colorado.

Drinking and powder and altitude have me not able to read. I stand by whatever Rod said, as troll city ran rampant.

And seriously? people get offended at what people say on internet message boards? sheeeeeet people, it's the internet. If someone hasn't told you to die, eat shit, or eat shit and die - you're doing it wrong.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Blue Man, what kind of powder?

:P
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As I am now as a fan, I was from Calverley, through Kraft, through Penders, through Skinner, and finally Harrick.
Ask Chuck Wilson, ask Don Kaull, ask Gresh, ask Cordischi or anyone who had a sports show, who's still living.
Ask any sports writer, past or present at the Journal.
I was the guy in the studio with Bob Ryan, defending Sly Williams with him, against the onslaught of PC fans on the Gus Parmet show in 1978. I was the one who predicted NCAA wins over Missouri and Syracuse in 1988, to the derision of Chuck Wilson.
Always touting URI Rams basketball. As Don Kaull referred to me, "The voice in the wilderness".
Negative over Jerry D and Baron's last years? You bet, and I believe, with good reason.
Most of you have only known me on these boards in the last several years. Before then,I was a fanatical Rhody fan.
I have returned to that, once more. Do I resent people trying to throw cold water on the rebirth of URI basketball, and the
architect of that revival? Damned straight!
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

i should get into marketing. i made like 5 posts that lead to 169 responses and i'm sure plenty of hits for golocalprov. scott should thank me.

but seriously rod... you have a problem with anger. it's just college basketball. it's entertainment meant to be fun. i haven't put anyone "in their place" and don't come here for "the soul purpose of taunting". i posted an article that it didn't look like anyone on the board had an opportunity to read. you have since read and discussed it ad nauseum. you're welcome. i am a facilitator of discussion.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

All sports are idiotic if put into the context of real life.
We're a bunch of people rooting for and arguing about athletes playing children's games.
Most of the time, those athletes, whom we worship, couldn't care less about we their fans.
Games which we have no control over, yet are addicted to.
In the case of collegiate athletics, people who are just past legal age in most cases.
Yet, we get wrapped up in it. Hundreds of soccer fans die each year in insane rioting.
Billions of dollars are spent on sports in numerous ways.
It is supposed to be entertainment and fun, and most of us here take it all too seriously.
Remember fan is derived from fanatic.
I'm as guilty as anyone. Sometimes I think, "boy is this illogical!", to care so much about a given team. To lose sleep when they lose.
To get into heated arguments with opposing fans. To worry about whose playing and how well.
It's all overdone. We're all enablers of it, like it or not.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It is a game. But there is nothing wrong with showing a passion for that game. I have a passion for many things in life. URI basketball just happens to be one of them. Passion for my family comes first. But my passion for music and my sports teams aren't far behind.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Never, ever forget this graphic about the Internet, which is always true, even if it's a forum about cats:

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will drink the DH Kool aid all day long

He will win big at URI just stay patient
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rod, over 2 seasons Wagner won 38 games with DH as coach. Do your statistics mean that his teams only won 4 games coming from behind with less than 5 minutes to play? If so, is this percentage of come-from-behind wins good or bad in your opinion?
NCAAs or Bust!