Week #17 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #17 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

Indiana remains the nation’s top team in both polls with Gonzaga in the two spot.

The A-10 had a good week with Saint Louis, on the strength of their win over Butler, moving into the rankings with # 18 in the AP Poll and #19 in the USA Today Coaches Poll. Butler moved down to #20 and # 21 in the two polls respectively. While VCU dropped out of the AP poll, they are ranked #25 in the USA Poll. This gives the A-10 three teams in a poll for the first time this season.

The A-10 RPI remains at #7 and Butler has the best RPI at #31, trailed closely by Saint Louis at #35, VCU at #36, and La Salle at #37. Using the current RPI as a barometer, the A-10 may get 4-5 teams into the NCAA.

URI’s RPI is at #191, down from #181 last week. The URI SOS stands at #79, second in the conference to Temple whose SOS is #41.

Only relevant action tonight is Villanova at Seton Hall, giving the Pirates another shot at defending their home court in what is turning out to be a disastrous BE season for them. On ESPNU at 9 PM.

In the evening's big game, #12 Syracuse is at #22 Marquette. On ESPN at 7 PM.

Also of interest, Bryant plays a re-scheduled home game against Sacred Heart. The Bulldogs will be looking to avenge an earlier loss to SHU.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Week #17 - Games of Interest

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i believe right now the A10 has 5 teams in (most bracketologist agree) Butler, SLU, VCU, La Salle, and Temple are in with Charlotte on the bubble out right now
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Bryant won the game versus Sacred Heart, 84-68 avenging an earlier loss to this below .500 NEC team. Bryant got another boost tonight when Central CT State rallied to beat Quinnipiac, 67-65, to give Bryant sole possession of second place. This sets up a big game against first place Robert Morris at Bryant Thursday night. A win will give Bryant a tie for first place with RM and given the NEC tiebreaker rules, Bryant will get the top seed in the NEC tourney. Gaining the top seed is critical because it will give Bryant home court advantage for as long as they stay alive in the tourney. A dance invitation is clearly in sight for the Bulldogs. What a great turnaround for Tim O'Shea.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah,
You do a great job with this weekly report....thanks.
Some games that I think are interesting this week:
Tuesday: #19 Memphis @ Xavier
Saturday: #5 Miami @ #3 Duke. Jimmy Larrannaga has done a phenomenal job at Miami this year.
Saturday: Butler @ VCU
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KevinMcNamara33 Good to see @CoachCooleyPC and the Great Steve McDonald-Don Kaull in the House at Bryant tonight.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Zaga # 2 in the country way to go Zags !!!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Will the Zags still be referred to as a Cinderella story in march?
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Because Gonzaga is not BCS football, they will always be a Cinderella story....

....you can probably count the number of non-BCS schools getting to the final four in the recent memory on one hand
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks ramster.

Bryant is a real feel good story. It is also interesting that the emergence of Bryant gives this small state four Division 1 schools. My prediction is that these four will be joined by a fifth in the future - Johnson and Wales. This will not happen tomorrow, but count on it in future. You have some big thinkers heading up that school as any conversation with them will reveal.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Definitely rooting for Bryant. Would love to see some team from RI make the dance. Except PC. Never, ever PC.
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

Obadiah wrote:Bryant won the game versus Sacred Heart, 84-68 avenging an earlier loss to this below .500 NEC team. Bryant got another boost tonight when Central CT State rallied to beat Quinnipiac, 67-65, to give Bryant sole possession of second place. This sets up a big game against first place Robert Morris at Bryant Thursday night. A win will give Bryant a tie for first place with RM and given the NEC tiebreaker rules, Bryant will get the top seed in the NEC tourney. Gaining the top seed is critical because it will give Bryant home court advantage for as long as they stay alive in the tourney. A dance invitation is clearly in sight for the Bulldogs. What a great turnaround for Tim O'Shea.
It's also critical because the tiebreaker gives them not just the regular season NEC title and home court advantage, but also the automatic NIT bid as well. Just awesome, baby!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great point on the auto-NIT bid.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

twisted3829 wrote:i believe right now the A10 has 5 teams in (most bracketologist agree) Butler, SLU, VCU, La Salle, and Temple are in with Charlotte on the bubble out right now
Agree on four. I'll feel better if Temple can close strong...they still have some work to do including a very dangerous game against Detroit on Thursday and finishing with VCU. If they win one of those two games they can breath a ltitle easier. Lose 'em both and they've got work to do in Brooklyn.

As for Charloote, what justifies putting them on the bubble? They've lost 4 of their last 5, 5 of the last 7 and gotten blown out in their last two by 17 and 20. Plus, they just dismissed their leading scorer, DeMario Mayfield, from the team. They aren't on any bubble.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rambone65 wrote:I'll feel better if Temple can close strong...they still have some work to do including a very dangerous game against Detroit on Thursday and finishing with VCU.
What about URI, 65? We'll be catching the Owls with only one day off after their matchup with Detroit. If we've proven anything this year its the fact that on any given night we can hang with anybody.

That being said, I think we lose by 15. But wouldn't it be ironic if we destroyed their NCAA dreams...

I can't wait for when getting beat by Rhody will no longer be considered a "bad loss."
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I was basing that off of the bracket project matrix (average of all the bracketologist out there)

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

sf2010 wrote:
Rambone65 wrote:I'll feel better if Temple can close strong...they still have some work to do including a very dangerous game against Detroit on Thursday and finishing with VCU.
What about URI, 65? We'll be catching the Owls with only one day off after their matchup with Detroit. If we've proven anything this year its the fact that on any given night we can hang with anybody.

That being said, I think we lose by 15. But wouldn't it be ironic if we destroyed their NCAA dreams...

I can't wait for when getting beat by Rhody will no longer be considered a "bad loss."

Right on SF. If playing spoiler is the goal for the next few weeks, I'm all in too!!!!!
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

twisted3829 wrote:I was basing that off of the bracket project matrix (average of all the bracketologist out there)

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm

Haven't seen anybody else credible putting them on the bubble anymore. Don't see ihow. They are running out of gas and they lost their leading scorer. Maybe if they beat Dayton and St Joe's...but even then their RPI will still likely be around 60.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

they definitelt have a lot more work to do and if anything Umass has a better chance than Charlotte of making the tourney
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Maybe I am crazy but I want us to be in a league which gets 4,5,6 teams into the NCAA tournament on a yearly basis....

....it is good for many reasons, not the least of which is financial....

....if we have a shot at an NCAA bid then I want to beat everyone.....if we have no shot it is a conflict of interest for us for teams with poor RPI's to beat teams that have a shot at a bid.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

A10 has consistently gotten 3 teams in the NCAA with a few years of 4 bids. We are losing 1 team that got bids almost every year (Temple) and 1 that never got to the NCAA in the A10 (Charlotte) and are replaced with 2 schools that have consistently gotten to the NCAAs. That would put us around 4 bids each year with possibilities of 5 bids
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Ramulous wrote:....if we have a shot at an NCAA bid then I want to beat everyone.....if we have no shot it is a conflict of interest for us for teams with poor RPI's to beat teams that have a shot at a bid.....
I feel that way with regards to all the other teams in the A10. I want Butler/VCU/Temple/Xavier/LaSalle etc to win out. EXCEPT when they play us. Even when we suck. Even when we're a "bad loss."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Playing spoiler just costs Rhody money in the end... hate to say it but Ramulous is correct. Conflict of interest, indeed!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Playing spoiler just costs Rhody money in the end... hate to say it but Ramulous is correct. Conflict of interest, indeed!
Oh he's definitely right about the conflict, I never claimed that my perspective was logical or reasonable :)
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

twisted3829 wrote:A10 has consistently gotten 3 teams in the NCAA with a few years of 4 bids. We are losing 1 team that got bids almost every year (Temple) and 1 that never got to the NCAA in the A10 (Charlotte) and are replaced with 2 schools that have consistently gotten to the NCAAs. That would put us around 4 bids each year with possibilities of 5 bids
I agree with this. Unfortunately if - as looks to be the case -- there is a serious chance that we lose Xavier, Butler, Dayton, and St Louis to the Vatican 7, and UMass to the used-to-be-BIG EAST, then what's left will be a conference that will be lucky to catch two in a good year.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I agree but who knows what's going on with realignment
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

For those in the New England area, Pat Skerry's Towson squad is playing George Mason on Comcast SportsNet.

Looks like Baron need Skerry more than Skerry needed Baron.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Best career move Skerry ever made. We knew he could recruit, it also looks like he can coach.

Good for him.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Skerry to Rutgers !!!!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

X with a big game tonight against Memphis
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Would love to see X pull this one out....HORRIFIC free throw shooting by both teams. Real ugly last few minutes.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Xavier wins

Indiana loses
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Some incredible games tonight.

#1 Indiana falls at Minnesota, 77-73. Minnesota was 6-8 in Big Ten entering game.

And Xavier in a big win for A-10 as the Musketeers beat # 19 Memphis, 62-60 snapping Memphis' 18 game win streak. Memphis is 13-0 in Conference USA.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

X is still going to need to do some damage in NY to get in, even with this win tonight.

I think they are NIT bound.

Minnesota is the ultimate tease team. Just when you think they've done enough to get in, they lose a couple games. This one helps them a lot, as long as they don't go in the tank again from now on.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Towson beats George Mason 85-81 in OT. First win at GMU by Towson since 1977. Where are all the Skerry nay-sayers/Baron supporters now.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Skerry doing very well this year after last seasons nightmare

Nice win by X
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Good job, Skerry! Always liked him.

Watched 2nd half of Gophers/Indiana. Didn't realize they did that raised floor thing like NCAA does in those huge Regionals and Final Four venues. I would definitely trip myself every time I sprung up to get onto the floor.

Xavier, in their most "down year" in a decade, still beats mighty Memphis from CUSA. Excellent message from A10 to rest of college hoops. It's a shame A10 can't dictate these upcoming changes in conference affiliation.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I/m liking St Joe's with the points at SLU.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It's the NBA, but with 9 minutes left,
Steph Curry has 41 points against the Knicks, on 8-10 from 3.
Best shooter since Ray Allen.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dayton beats Charlotte, outscored them 59-33 in the second half to win 88-67.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Charlotte is crashing. They are pulling their best Baron routine again. Collapsing just like we used to every February. They and Dayton [except tonight] have been the other 2 A10 programs besides us, that have had that tendency for a while.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Curry finishes with 54 points on an incredible 11-13 from 3.
One of the greatest pure shooting performances ever.
Tyson Chandler got 28 rebounds for the Knicks.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

11 3's by one player is got to be the record for one game, isn't it? NBA or NCAA or both?

They still lost. 28 rebounds by Chandler reminds me of the days of Wilt and Russell. Those two used to do that all the time. Didn't Wilt AVERAGE that for one season, besides his 50 PPG?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wilt AVERAGED 22.7 for his career and had a couple of seasons with 27 RPG.
He once got 55 rebounds against Bill Russell and the Celts.
Curry is fun to watch. Plays with a smile. Can drive, handle and pass, and can
create his own shot.
He was the best shooter in college, and now he's the best in the NBA.
92 points in 24 hours!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Whoa... will look for those highlights! 11-13 3FG is nasty!

Chicks dig the longball...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Didn't we compare Jimmy Baron to Curry at one time?

The two best shooters around. Of course, Curry can do so much more, like Rod said.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

55 rebounds in one game is mind boggling.

Even more mind boggling, is that he did it against Russell, who was basically one of only 2 or 3 centers at the time, that could hold a candle to him rebounding-wise.

That, and the year he averaged 50 points a game. That stat blows everything away imo.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wilt played in the Golden Age of Centers.
Nate Thurmond, a 6'11" super defender.
Walt Bellamy 6'10" amazing scorer.
Willis Reed, nuff said.
Of course, Russell. All Hall of Famers.
We live in a time when the only traditional center is Dwight Howard.
No Olajuwons, no Moses Malones, no Jabbars, no Waltons, no Parrishes, no Shaqs.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ive got to admit I always thought Curry wouldnt be much of an NBA player coming out of college. Figured he would just kind of be a role player to hit the deep ball at times. Man was I wrong, guy has become one of the best PGs in the league. Top 5-7 probably. Has even had a couple triple doubles I believe.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Steph Curry is a beast !!

54 pts at MSG unreal !!
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Golden State Assistant coach Jerry D must have been working with him on his jump shot. That's my only explanation.