Game #26 - URI vs. La Salle, in-game!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: Game #26 - URI vs. La Salle, in-game!

Unread post by neil »

The view from 205
1. I think I've seen this game before, play well in the first half, fall behind, try to come back, lose by less than ten, play hard.
2. LaSalle guards were tough both on the offense and defense.
3. Maybe our shooting percentage went up because we were actually making some layups.
4. Mike A. might have deserved the start in the first place.
5. Nice to see all the students, most did not leave at half time.
6. Where is the mob?
7. Mike P, got swallowed up by bigger guards. Next year we will have a number of alternatives.
8. Forgot, one more "deja vu all over again" - make some foul shots.
9. Brooks, one for two on alleyoops, and 0 for three from the stripe.
10. Bobby spent a couple of minutes talking with Pappy before the game, nice to see.
11. Speaking of Pappy, for you newcomers, Horace "Pappy" Owens, inch for inch and pound for pound might be the best player to ever put on a Ram uniform. I know that's a risky thing to say, but I've been watching since '61, The only thing our P.A, announcer did when introducing Pappy was to say "Horace Owens" louder than the other assistants. Pappy deserved so much more. How about informing the arena? At the very least, how about "we welcome back one of the all time Ram greats, Pappy Owens". Maybe he doesn't get the credit that the Garricks, Williamson's, Williams and Odoms,because he didn't go to the dance When his buddy Mark Upshaw went down with an injury, he literally carried a team on his back, leading the team in rebounding, and scoring, being a 6-4 two guard. I don't know whose fault it is, but he deserves better.
12. Go Rhody!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Pappy was recruited to URI by Jack Kraft, to play with Sly Williams.
He was a McDonald's AA out of Philly.
He was snakebitten, in that, Kraft had a heart attack, and retired,
changing URI basketball fortunes downward.
Sly went pro.
Then a very talented Marc Upshaw destroyed his knee at the PCC, and was never the same.
Pappy mainly played on mediocre teams for a mediocre coach, with very little help.
His senior year was remarkable, in that he really carried his team that season.
Pappy is generally overlooked in Ram history, not because he wasn't a great player,
but because he played on forgetable teams.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice crowd over 5 K !!

Good effort but the more talented LaSalle team won out in the 2nd half
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

To finish up Rod's story...
Upshaw was hurt in a thanksgiving tournament held in Providence. The organizers thought they were going to make a bundle. Colgate vs. Uri in one game and Ohio and PC in the other. They figured they would fill the place for the final game. However, Ohio upsets PC. So, at best, the dunk was half filled. I think early in the final Upshaw went down, never to be the same high flying player he was. Owens was fantastic but the rams fell in overtime by two. After the game, they announced the all tournament team and Pappy was not on it. I was furious. It was only after they announced that he was MVP did I relax. Pappy averaged 23 points a game his senior year and on senior night Coach Chaney of Temple came over to congratulate him. -- and we couldn't give this guy more recognition yesterday!!!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

neil wrote:To finish up Rod's story...
Upshaw was hurt in a thanksgiving tournament held in Providence. The organizers thought they were going to make a bundle. Colgate vs. Uri in one game and Ohio and PC in the other. They figured they would fill the place for the final game. However, Ohio upsets PC. So, at best, the dunk was half filled. I think early in the final Upshaw went down, never to be the same high flying player he was. Owens was fantastic but the rams fell in overtime by two. After the game, they announced the all tournament team and Pappy was not on it. I was furious. It was only after they announced that he was MVP did I relax. Pappy averaged 23 points a game his senior year and on senior night Coach Chaney of Temple came over to congratulate him. -- and we couldn't give this guy more recognition yesterday!!!
I was at that game, and was so upset that he wasn't on the team, that I shamefully booed after they called the last player, and then was embarrassed when they announced that Pappy was the MVP. One momemnt in time that I would like to forget.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Unlike Rod and Neil, I only go back to the 1970s, but that day against Ohio Pappy carried a Rhody team on his back more so than anyone I've ever seen. And that includes the day Sly dropped 44 on Detroit (who had Earl Cureton and Terry Duerod).
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rambone 78 wrote:Whether it's a lack of effort, or being late, or an altercation with other players, it really doesn't matter.

Like Rod said, it's happened before. Hare will have a decision to make after this season. Hurley will only tolerate so much. Dan might make the decision for him, and it won't have anything to do with his potential.
I wouldn't make too much of it, especially when you consider where they had Hare sit on the bench.

Anyone who hasn't seen "The Street Stops Here", there's a point where Hurley Sr. erupts on the team and kicks them all out of practice (he commonly kicks individual players out of practice), as soon as the team is out the door, he starts laughing with the other coaches and says something like Ok, now we've got them as ready as we can get them.

I don't know the specifics of Hare's punishment but Dan Hurley is not going to miss any opportunities to send a message and set the tone this year.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Out of the last ten games, Rhody has trailed only two at halftime and, yet, has only won two. Yesterday, LaSalle had three guards play over 35 minutes. Going to have to bet better next year at halftime adjustments and end of game offensive sets, when defenses knuckle down just a little bit more. from 39-39 until the end of the game, Rhody took ten jumpers and made only two while only taking three shots close to the rim. The last ten minutes of all of these games is Groundhog's Day.
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

If that is the case you wouldn't think that it came down to not having fresh legs in the second half? A lot of our starters are playing high 30s in minutes and we don't have much depth. these guys are playing both sides of the ball and being asked to rebouond over guys much taller than themselves for almost 40 minutes. Let's not expect too much here, we had tempered expectations coming into this season and now I feel as though some of us thought we would be beating up on powerhouse teams in the A10 year 1. Next year we will have more depth at every position and so long as we can get some good shooting we'll be a lot more competitive. The fact that this team has more wins then last years team speaks volumes about what Hurley has been able to do for this team. We had a much more talented and complete roster the year prior and they completely tanked. A roster with Orion, Nik, Wilson, Baron, Holton, etc. shouldn't have only won 7 games- that's underperforming.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

RhodeIslandBred wrote:If that is the case you wouldn't think that it came down to not having fresh legs in the second half? A lot of our starters are playing high 30s in minutes and we don't have much depth. these guys are playing both sides of the ball and being asked to rebouond over guys much taller than themselves for almost 40 minutes. Let's not expect too much here, we had tempered expectations coming into this season and now I feel as though some of us thought we would be beating up on powerhouse teams in the A10 year 1. Next year we will have more depth at every position and so long as we can get some good shooting we'll be a lot more competitive.
I don't disagree. Sure, it would be better to have a deeper rotation but people make this out to be way out of the ordinary in college hoops. Rhody has an eight man rotation and plays at one of the slowest paces in all of D1 hoops. Blaming it on tired legs is becoming, well, tired. Taking contested long jumper after contested long jumper is no way to close out games. I agree, wholeheartedly, that there will be more talent next year. I'm just not loving what I see in the end game and halftime adjustments. Smart, Stevens, Dunphy, Martelli, etc. These guys can flat coach.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Then I guess is, what you're saying is that Hurley is lousy at making halftime adjustments. Basically being outcoached so to speak.

I'll reserve judgement on that one, until we have more talent and more depth, and more options to go to. Right now, when teams try to take away what we're doing well, we don't have any options to fall back on.

If we still struggle after halftime by the second half of next year, then what you're saying might have legs. Until then, he gets a pass.

Ever seen any first round NCAA tourney games? Many times a #15 seed will have played a #2 seed tough in the first half. Then the 2nd half comes, and the more talented team pulls away. Does that mean the #2 seed has a better coach? Not really. The talent difference makes the difference. The less talented team simply doesn't have the ability to deal with the better team's adjustments.

That's the hand that Hurley's been dealt so far.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I thought the same thing as Neil about the Pappy announcement. We need to remember and honor our past!
Billy Hahn should get a ton of credit for recruiting Pappy. Notre Dame was among the schools that wanted him and URI got him! Hahn was the best recruiter in the history of the program. With Claude and Hahn recruiting and Kraft closing the deal -- it hasn't got better than that.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I've moved over to the side that would like to see TJ get more minutes at PG. I don't see how it could've been worse on both ends of the court yesterday.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One other thing, GBG.

We have NO inside game. When crunch time comes, teams with no inside game are relegated to throwing up 3 pointers, especially trying to catch up.

We don't have good outside shooters [duh]. Nik and Munford are too streaky. Other teams are going to pressure those guys trying to shoot.

This isn't rocket science.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hurley Sr. throws players out of practice almost daily. He even threw Bobby out, the best player on the team. I wouldn't make too much of this. Danny was sending a message to Hare and everyone on the team.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggy, we can only hope that the Hurleys can approach that level. It really was too bad that Kraft had to quit.

I agree with you about the Hare situation, except that it seems to be a recurring problem. Hopefully Jordan has gotten the message by now.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:Then I guess is, what you're saying is that Hurley is lousy at making halftime adjustments. Basically being outcoached so to speak.

I'll reserve judgement on that one, until we have more talent and more depth, and more options to go to. Right now, when teams try to take away what we're doing well, we don't have any options to fall back on.

If we still struggle after halftime by the second half of next year, then what you're saying might have legs. Until then, he gets a pass.

Ever seen any first round NCAA tourney games? Many times a #15 seed will have played a #2 seed tough in the first half. Then the 2nd half comes, and the more talented team pulls away. Does that mean the #2 seed has a better coach? Not really. The talent difference makes the difference. The less talented team simply doesn't have the ability to deal with the better team's adjustments.

That's the hand that Hurley's been dealt so far.
I'm with you. I just think that some people assumed, because his name was Hurley, that he was a great tactician. From (admittedly in the cheap seats) my viewpoint, he hasn't done a great job so far. Too many jumps shots in critical moments. A very strange usage of timeouts. Opposing coaches have taken away what works in the first half of games. I think you can see talent on the way but you still need to win close games to make the dance.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote:One other thing, GBG.

We have NO inside game. When crunch time comes, teams with no inside game are relegated to throwing up 3 pointers, especially trying to catch up.

We don't have good outside shooters [duh]. Nik and Munford are too streaky. Other teams are going to pressure those guys trying to shoot.

GBG has made it very clear that he is a Baron Lover/Hurley Hater. It's the same comments over and over again.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Pappy will always be my favorite ram. We've never had a nicer, classier player (no disrespect to others). Anyone remember the white souvenir cups with Pappy's and Upshaw's picture on them? They may have come from that PCC tournament. I've had- and used- them (I had a lot of them) until about a year ago. The pictures finally faded.
It's a shame he had to play every position except the off guard, due to our lack of talent. He told me once that if he knew how his career was going to play out, he probably wouldn't have come here.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Anyone who watched these games all year would realize that we have enough talent to stay close,
and not enougth to compete with deeper teams as the game wears on.
GBG, tell the whole story, not just the baloney about how Hurley can't coach.
Lasalle had Tyrone Garland get 14 points in 29 minutes, off the bench, and Galloway played 23 minutes, and
was the guy who blew the game open with his contested 3's. Yes, CONTESTED 3's, which they made all night.
It's called being a better shooter.
We got four points from two starters. Their backups got nine points. 13 points from two positions.
Aaman outscored a very talented Wright. In case you missed it, they were all inside the paint.
We also shot a higher percentage than Lasalle in FGs and 3's!
The difference was at the free throw line, where Lasalle had an 11 point edge. We missed 8!
Must be Hurley's shitty coaching.
Try watching the game, instead of a gametracker.
Oh and regarding Pappy, there was a major influence on his recruiting, named Bob Terino, who
promised Pappy would be in his will, if he came to URI. Bob kept his word, by the way.
True story.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:One other thing, GBG.

GBG has made it very clear that he is a Baron Lover/Hurley Hater. It's the same comments over and over again.
I'm sorry. I keep forgetting. Any critique of Hurley gets you banished to the Baron-lover category. It's actually the same comment I made in November that everyone yelled at. I don't think we can assume that he is a great coach or even a good gameday coach, for that matter. I said that before he even coached a game for Rhody. So far, he has not done anything to disprove that.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Anyone who watched these games all year would realize that we have enough talent to stay close,
and not enougth to compete with deeper teams as the game wears on.
GBG, tell the whole story, not just the baloney about how Hurley can't coach.
Lasalle had Tyrone Garland get 14 points in 29 minutes, off the bench, and Galloway played 23 minutes, and
was the guy who blew the game open with his contested 3's. Yes, CONTESTED 3's, which they made all night.
It's called being a better shooter.
We got four points from two starters. Their backups got nine points. 13 points from two positions.
Aaman outscored a very talented Wright. In case you missed it, they were all inside the paint.
We also shot a higher percentage than Lasalle in FGs and 3's!
The difference was at the free throw line, where Lasalle had an 11 point edge. We missed 8!
Must be Hurley's shitty coaching.
Try watching the game, instead of a gametracker.
Oh and regarding Pappy, there was a major influence on his recruiting, named Bob Terino, who
promised Pappy would be in his will, if he came to URI. Bob kept his word, by the way.
True story.
I know you go to brunch every Sunday morning with the Hurleys and play Trivial Pursuit every Thursday night. So, I expect you to carry their water. I mean, you literally haven't had one piece of constructive criticism this entire year about the job he has done. That's worse than bashing him. Just closing your eyes and believing he is the Messiah. You have an excuse for every single second half meltdown this year. And not one involves laying any blaming at the feet of Saint Daniel. Please. Open your eyes.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hmm, let's see:
"Dan Hurley has a high basketball IQ. He was a cereberal player and puts it all toghether with his coaching philosophy" - Hubie Brown
"Dan Hurley brings a wealth of knowledge, boundless energy and is a tremendous competitor. Just a great hire by Rhode Island"-
Dick Vitale.
"Dan Hurley is an outstanding basketball coach, and an even better person" Jay Bilas.
Dan Hurley stinks - GBG
Wonder who to believe?
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

rodfromcranston wrote: Oh and regarding Pappy, there was a major influence on his recruiting, named Bob Terino, who
True story.
Nowadays that'd be a recruiting violation lol
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Dick Vitale? OK.

You believe in twitter feeds. I look at actual results. You may notice that I didn't say he was a bad coach at the beginning of the year. I just said I wanted to see actual results before forming an opinion.

Were you really shocked to see X jacking up jump shots and losing another close game? I can see Danny and Bobby over the dinner table talking about how to change the late game results? "Well, X makes 38% of his shots, everyone knows he is getting it, let's run a set where he takes a contested 17 footer" (high fives, smiles).
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

At this point it seems like GBG is taking the contrarian stance on DH and is selecting losing efforts to prove his point. Almost seems like he's trolling you Rod, don't fall for it.

On the other side we have fans who can see no fault in Coach Hurley. In reality he probably falls somewhere in the middle. Regardless, I don't think it can be argued that he's a great fit to reform this program and set URI on the right track.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I hear you KB.
My viewpoint is, I'll judge what kind of coach Dan Hurley is, when he
has HIS team on the court.
When he had an inside game and depth at all positions.
Anyone who thinks he can make all these miraculous adjustments, or that Hare is the answer to
taking more shots than Munford, just has no clue.
I'll take a guy like Don Kaull telling me, "You have the best idea of anyone on that board, as to what Dan's trying
to accomplish here", over GBG's shots at me.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Well, there have been more 2nd half meltdowns than comebacks. By a large margin. However, I came on here after the loss to St. B's and lauded X because he had gotten to the line 14 times. I don't disagree that he is our best option. What I cannot stand is the settling for jumpers because 1. he isn't very good at making them and 2. He is actually pretty good at getting to the line. Whether that is coaching or X, i don't know.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:I hear you KB.
My viewpoint is, I'll judge what kind of coach Dan Hurley is, when he
has HIS team on the court.
When he had an inside game and depth at all positions.
Anyone who thinks he can make all these miraculous adjustments, or that Hare is the answer to
taking more shots than Munford, just has no clue.
I'll take a guy like Don Kaull telling me, "You have the best idea of anyone on that board, as to what Dan's trying
to accomplish here", over GBG's shots at me.
So, you will take a guy who tells you you are awesome over someone who takes a different stance? Imagine that.

This is the same talent that he has winning these games at half time, Rod. This isn't the 1985 Big East. Rhody gets outscored in the 2nd half of almost every game. They have been ahead at halftime of the majority of their games this year.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'll take a URI Hall of Famer, with real credibility and basketball knowledge over some
anonymous poster. All day long!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

GBG, I personally have no issue with your constructive criticism of Hurley's coaching, but there are times when it does not appear to be constructive or reasonable.

I find it difficult to believe that you can accurately speak on your primary criticism of Hurley, that being his in-game coaching ability, when you admitted that you do not watch the games. You seem to only attempt to make inferences from the box score/shottracker. You lost a lot of credibility with me there.

It is difficult to draw up effective offensive game plans when URI is overmatched in at least 4 positions on the court at all times. I think this is more apparent through watching the games than it would be by following online.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hey GBG, didnt you mention in another thread recently that you don't get to watch many of the games? While everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, it seems odd to me that someone can consistently feel so strong about "in-game adjustments" and coaching decisions without even seeing the games.

It doesnt make you right or wrong, or anything like that, it just seems a little strange to me. Like others have said, it seems like you may just be trying to rile some people up around here.

EDIT: Looks like me and SF were posting the same thing at the same time...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Observations from the game:
- It was good to see Thom Spann and Ray Williams honored at halftime - brings back some great URI football memories
- Sad to not see Jordan Hare on the floor. While some on this board have never cared much for his ability, he is a guy with a lot of potential. Big guys take a while to develop and don't often make huge impacts their Freshman year. I for one hope he remains at URI. Agree with Iggy that Hurley has a history of sitting guys out as did his father - so not as big as deal if, for example, it was Jim Baron who once you got in his doghouse you rarely got out - ie Hazleton and Daniels, among many others. Hare is a long armed, lanky guy who can be a force inside given time. He has the most upside potential of anyone on the team imho.
- Jerrell Wright killed us inside. 15 rebounds in 26 minutes. In his last game against Temple he had one(1). I guess we are not Temple. He averages 6.6 rpg on the year.
- Disappointing to me is that I don't see progress being made in our weakest area of the game - rebounding. I don't see focus on boxing out - fundamentally getting position. Wright had a field day because nobody was putting a body on him the whole game.
- Mike Powell got schooled by Duren. Duren is a good player, taller, physically stronger but Mike just couldn't handle him.
- Duren and Gallaway are just good shooters. Duren is 40% and Gallaway 42% on three's for the year - we don't have those kinds of shooters - yet
- Our lack of depth may be showing in the level of fatigue. I thought that the intense preseason training was going to make us the stronger team inthe last 10 minutes of games - looks quite the opposite
- I agree on playing TJ more at PG. He is the best passer on the team. TJ would have been a better matchup against Duren who is 6' and quite physical. Still too much dribbling by one individual - never changes and not many good results or passes come out of all that dribbling.
- The team runs more with TJ and Munford at the guard spots. Might as well try something different - nothing to lose now.
- As always, our 4 transfers show good support and enthusiasm for the guys playing the game
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

sf2010 wrote:GBG, I personally have no issue with your constructive criticism of Hurley's coaching, but there are times when it does not appear to be constructive or reasonable.

I find it difficult to believe that you can accurately speak on your primary criticism of Hurley, that being his in-game coaching ability, when you admitted that you do not watch the games. You seem to only attempt to make inferences from the box score/shottracker. You lost a lot of credibility with me there.

It is difficult to draw up effective offensive game plans when URI is overmatched in at least 4 positions on the court at all times. I think this is more apparent through watching the games than it would be by following online.
It was that particular game that wasn't available anywhere down here. I would say I have probably seen 70% of the game action this year. Sure, I have missed a few due to coaching or kids stuff but I have seen enough of the live action to form a reasonable opinion.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

adam914 wrote:EDIT: Looks like me and SF were posting the same thing at the same time...
Great minds, Adam...
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
sf2010 wrote:GBG, I personally have no issue with your constructive criticism of Hurley's coaching, but there are times when it does not appear to be constructive or reasonable.

It was that particular game that wasn't available anywhere down here. I would say I have probably seen 70% of the game action this year. Sure, I have missed a few due to coaching or kids stuff but I have seen enough of the live action to form a reasonable opinion.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll just go back to thinking that you're wrong instead of uninformed :)
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I've thought from his very first post that GBG is not a fan of URI.
That said, we have to remember that Hurley is in only his third season as a Div. 1 head coach. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't get better with more experience.
I didn't think yesterday was his best game. URI didn't look prepared for LaSalle's overplaying/ball denial defense and their drive and kick out offense. And at a key point in the second half he had a lineup with Buchanan, Brooks and Bigby, which killed them offensively. And there's no way Mike P. should have played 35 minutes.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Come to think of it, it's not so bad having GBG on this board.

Not everybody can agree on everything. If we did it would get boring fast.

He's entitled to his opinion, whether we agree with it or not.

Let's see what happens next year. If we are winning games late, I suspect we won't hear too much from him. If not, then maybe he has a point.

I'm firmly on the Hurley side of the argument, for now. Winning close games will be the difference between an NIT and NCAA berth next year, imo.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

On a different note, DJ Peterson of LaSalle was one of five players URI brought in to look at during Baron's last summer as they had one scholarship still open. They couldn't get Peterson or Williams (CCRI) into school and ended up taking Rayvon Harris, who was a good student but .... Peterson looks like a decent if not great player. Has started 9 games for LaSalle.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggs, that lineup did suck, but at some point Dan has to run them out there. Maybe not at a critical time in the game, but his options are so limited sometimes his hands are tied.

There sometimes are just NO scoring options out there. In the X game, that was true literally, no one could score.

As for Powell, he's shot. Maybe the 6 days off this week might help him finish the season on an up note.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

sf2010 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll just go back to thinking that you're wrong instead of uninformed :)
Fair enough!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

GBG, a serious question......what are your credentials regarding basketball? How many years did you play and what level did you reach? How many years have you coached and what level have you reached? I'm just curious. If you give us a little background about yourself, it might help with your credibility.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It's a win-win with Hare. He wises up and stays - URI wins because he will make the commitment to himself and the team to be a better basketball player. He doesn't wise up and leaves - URI wins because he wouldn't help us anyways and is a waste of a scholarship.
NCAAs or Bust!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:GBG, a serious question......what are your credentials regarding basketball? How many years did you play and what level did you reach? How many years have you coached and what level have you reached? I'm just curious. If you give us a little background about yourself, it might help with your credibility.
I am from Rhode Island originally and played at a small D-3 college. So, being that I didn't go to a school with a big time program, I never stopped rooting for Rhody as my favorite team. As for coaching, I coach my kids. Under 10! As I said before, I am saying all of this from the cheap seats. I don't have the bona fides of the Hurleys. Not by a long shot but I do feel like I have enough of a background and have seen enough games where I can participate in these discussions. And, really, I am just sticking with my original thought of the hire. I don't like assuming anything in life. I want the facts to unfold. There are a million different things/reasons for closes losses in any sport but I keep watching these games unfold differently. And, for the most part, they haven't and I am growing more and more suspect of his in game abilities. Certainly, you can get better. To be fair, they are practically newbies as for as coaching D1 goes. Tommy Amaker was abysmal at Seton Hall in games but has sharpened the saw over his stints at Mich and Harvard. Now, he is pretty good. Not great but pretty good. Nothing is stopping Hurley from getting better at his craft.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Regarding Jordan; I/d like to think P-Murph is doing some taking Jordan under his wing, and getting his head where it needs to be......the buffer role of some assistant coaches with their prize recruits.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It's difficult to make adjustments when the players themselves are so limited. Powell struggles to drive and create plays, Hare's best thing is going from standing still to dunking, Brooks can only catch the ball (let alone score) every now and then, Nik can't seem to drive without lowering his shoulder and taking out a couple of defenders. I couldn't care less if someone thinks Hurley is a poor coach. Solid arguments can't be made in a vacuum, though, you have to acknowledge the complete situation. The minutes discussion, for example... it's not so much that they're tired, it's that giving that many minutes to not great players is not going to work. But what are the alternatives? You coach the players you have.

Hurley's good in that he has a short memory with players who have messed up. Every practice is a new day. If he's kicking him out, it means he hasn't give up on him.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:GBG, a serious question......what are your credentials regarding basketball? How many years did you play and what level did you reach? How many years have you coached and what level have you reached? I'm just curious. If you give us a little background about yourself, it might help with your credibility.
I am from Rhode Island originally and played at a small D-3 college. So, being that I didn't go to a school with a big time program, I never stopped rooting for Rhody as my favorite team. As for coaching, I coach my kids. Under 10! As I said before, I am saying all of this from the cheap seats. I don't have the bona fides of the Hurleys. Not by a long shot but I do feel like I have enough of a background and have seen enough games where I can participate in these discussions. And, really, I am just sticking with my original thought of the hire. I don't like assuming anything in life. I want the facts to unfold. There are a million different things/reasons for closes losses in any sport but I keep watching these games unfold differently. And, for the most part, they haven't and I am growing more and more suspect of his in game abilities. Certainly, you can get better. To be fair, they are practically newbies as for as coaching D1 goes. Tommy Amaker was abysmal at Seton Hall in games but has sharpened the saw over his stints at Mich and Harvard. Now, he is pretty good. Not great but pretty good. Nothing is stopping Hurley from getting better at his craft.
Hey, that's cool. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm just betting that next year, this coaching staff will prove you wrong. And if you are a Rhody fan, as you claim, you yourself must be hoping that you are wrong.....just curious, what school did you play high school ball in RI? I played mine in RI too, albeit almost 40 years ago.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

My family had just moved when it was HS for me. I played at Centreville HS in Fairfax County, VA.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Gonebarongone wrote:My family had just moved when it was HS for me. I played at Centreville HS in Fairfax County, VA.
Wasn't that where Dustin Hellenga was from? And didn't he wind up at a Division 3 school (Grand Valley State?)?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:My family had just moved when it was HS for me. I played at Centreville HS in Fairfax County, VA.
Wasn't that where Dustin Hellenga was from? And didn't he wind up at a Division 3 school (Grand Valley State?)?
He is from the area but went to a different high school and was several years after me. He definitely didn't go to Centreville HS. Yes, he ended up at Grand Valley State.