Big East - Basketball Only Schools Leaving

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Big East - Basketball Only Schools Leaving?

Unread post by BFC »

I haven't really had a problem with the content of superfly's posts, it's the repetition of stating his position, over and over the same thought in three paragraphs. Is there anyone who doesn't know where superfly stands at this point?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

BFC wrote:I haven't really had a problem with the content of superfly's posts, it's the repetition of stating his position, over and over the same thought in three paragraphs. Is there anyone who doesn't know where superfly stands at this point?
If you think that is bad, imagine the thoughts going through my head?

It's the problem with being able to type over 100 words per minute.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

wakefield wrote:I left Dayton off the list based on this article. http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/spo ... c-7/nWHYQ/
I am starting to think more and more that Dayton is very much in danger of being left behind once again (they got screwed when the Great Midwest collapsed and they were one of its only teams not invited to CUSA). While Dayton has great facilities and a great following/attendance record, there are some issues which might override them. Dayton is not a particularly large tv market. It is also right between Cincinnati (Xavier) and Indianapolis (Butler). Would a league being put togther for tv want a small market and three schools in such close proximity to one another? Furthermore, Dayton does not have much NCAA history in the last 20 years. They have but 4 NCAA appearances in that span and only one NCAA win. That is less than URI's NCAA resume during this time (4 bids and 4 wins). They have been similar to URI in being a perrenial NIT team with 7 appearances in the last 20 years (URI also has 7 NIT bids). I therefore am beginning to think that Dayton being a no-brainer to be included in the Catholic CYO league is not so. The selection of the more attractive pair (larger tv markets and more recent NCAA success) of Butler and Xavier could keep them out.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

More baloney.
Every thread hijacked by this guy and his buddy, peeps.
Who cares what they think about our coach, our players or our program?
They have a five page thread on how moronic we are.
Not ONE of us went over there to bother trying to reason with such
pap.
Take a hint, and stay on your own board. You showed your true colors by that
"Hey Darth, look at these idiots!" post.
Now let us enjoy our win, and go away. Too much discussion about you.
I'm here for URI RAMS BASKETBALL, and to trade thoughts with my fellow Rhody followers.
Not to debate whatever some PC fans think, because we already can read what they think, elsewhere.
Now for the cloying response........
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Reading the Dayton board tonight...these guys are funny, but VERY knowledgeable.

If we thought we were spending too much time and effort talking about realignment, go to that board.

They seem to think that they might not be invited due to their lack of success recently.

They also think that the A10 teams that are rumored to go to the C7 stick together, and form a united front demanding equal TV money with the C7.

If not, create their own league with 5 or so other strong programs, just like the C7 are doing.

Maybe, just maybe, we could be a part of that. That may be the only way to create a strong enough league to get better TV money, and get rid of the weaker programs.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

So the top A10 schools are going to forgoe a league with strong schools in it and a contract that is already down the road, to forge out on their own and find 5 strong schools to go with them? Even if this were true and they wanted URI, you'd be ok with it?
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There are rumors out there, that this could be happening. Butler and X, for sure, are not happy about the proposed 2 tiers of TV money. They don't like the idea of playing 2nd fiddle to the bottom of the C7. And you know who they are. Butler and X have done WAY more in the NCAA tourney then they have.

The C7 NEEDS the top A10 schools, to make their league. Without them, their whole deal could be in doubt.

I'd say that if the top A10 schools decide to form THEIR own league, and add say 5-7 more good programs, why wouldn't URI join them if asked? Especially if that results in a lot more money for all of them. There are several networks involved here.

I'm not saying it's likely to happen, just saying that it may become an option. Other news is, other schools like Gonzaga are looking into possibly wanting in. Everybody is going to want a piece of the big money pie.

This may end up benefiting an up and coming program like URI's after all. When this all shakes out, there may be 2 good BB centric leagues formed. There may be an A10, or maybe not. As long as URI can end up in one of them, great!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I don't think the fans like the two proposed tiers of TV money, but the schools can understand it based on the fact they are paying jackola towards to start-up costs of the new league.

That said, if this idea were to happen, why wouldn't URI want to be a part of it? I think it would be best case scenario. Keep the best, marketable A-10 teams, and build a conference around them, and in the meantime drop the dead weight. They would likely miss out on some TV money, but therefore build a comparable conference to the C7 (whose TV contract would likely drop). Then it would be a free for all for the best of the remaining teams (Creighton, George Mason, etc.).

The problem: If they are looking at 6 teams, who is a part of it: VCU, St. Louis, Butler, Xavier, and Dayton seem to be virtual locks. That would leave one, maybe two openings (if they went to 7). My guess, they would want one of the Philly teams (likely St. Joseph's), leaving 1 opening to split between the rest (Richmond, URI, Duquesne, Fordham, George Washington, LaSalle, St. Bonaventure).
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'll have to add that there would have to be at least 7 A10 teams that leave as a group, like the C7.

Of the remaining 13 teams [assuming UMass is leaving] who gets left out if this happens?

That's the biggest question. URI is on the bubble imo. If 7 leave, questionable. If 8-9 go, then there's a better chance.

Oops, 66 you answered my question.

The top 5 you mentioned would be locks. Richmond would be #6 imo. #7 would be close among several schools, but a Philly school would be likely. LaSalle getting good right now might help them, but StJoe's has the better recent history. After that, URI leads the rest. Having the Hurleys, with the program about to be vastly improved, and good facilities would make the difference imo.

Having 8-9 schools leave and form their own conference, is probably the only way to get rid of the weakest links.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I would think that the C7 would have to eventually buckle on the two-tier thing, I just can't imagine that league without Xavier.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, from what I've heard, if they don't, the A10 teams won't join.

Hope the C7 stays stubborn.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just read tonight that as many as 6 A10 schools could conceivably join the C7. That's if they go to 14 teams, which isn't likely, but I guess remains a possibility. TV money will call the shots.

That includes, X, Butler, VCU, Richmond, Dayton, and StLouis, with Creighton being the 14th team.

If that happens, folks, URI is toast. T-O-A-S-T. Unless some miracle happens, they go to 16, and URI is invited.

Talk about a crappy conference if all that's left of the A10 is 7 teams. With a bottom of Duguesne, GW, StB., and Fordham. Then StJoes, LaSalle, and us. The CAA would be better. Hello MAAC and the NEC.

Don't want to think what will happen with the Hurleys, if that happens....

Let's hope not. Let's REALLY hope not.

Thorr and Dooley had better be doing all they can.....

It's really beginning to look like either of 2 things will happen. Either they all go to the new BE, or the A10 breaks apart, leaves the bottom teams behind, and forms their own new league with a better TV deal. For URI, that looks like the only way out.

I already wonder if recruiting is being affected by all of this. The Hurleys would know by now.

Rod?
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I don't buy it. My guess is the C7 goes to 10 teams...12 max. If the top A10 teams have problems with the money, the best way to give them a bigger share is to keep the amount of teams at a lower number (going for quality and not quantity). Dayton's team is a joke right now. In my opinion, if anyone leaves the A10 it might be Butler, Xavier and maybe...just maybe VCU. Personally if the top A10 teams wanted a tougher conference it would make more sense for them to talk with the A10 about dropping some of the dead weight like Fordham and Duquesne. It would be more cost effective then trying to buy their way out of the conference or than attempting to form their own.
It's just my hunch. Who knows...I"m sure this stuff will sort itself out soon.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!
BUCK! BUCK! BACAW! BUCK BUCK BACAW!
Wow , what if the C7 take every A-10 school but URI????
I think I'm calling 9-1-1!!!! Maybe the Pentagon!
Maybe a higher authority, like Oprah!
How can Hurley recruit anyone? Is it too late to go Dlll?
Is Hurley packing to go back to St. Benedicts?
Can we get Baron back?
SOMEBODY GIVE ME A VALIUM!!!!!!!! No wait, MORPHINE!
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Yes, this whole deal of taking as many as 14 teams seems to have come out of nowhere. Hard to believe that they would take Richmond and VCU since Georgetown is so close to the Richmond area. Duquesne would make some sense for the Pittsburgh market, but Duquesne isn't any good. I'm pulling for you guys being included, I imagine that PC is blocking you guys though. I'm just hoping that we don't get left out.
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

I thought Georgetown wanted Richmond to join the C7. The A10 should start raiding the CAA and the Horizon as soon as possible.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Link to article about the C7 taking 12-14 teams:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ources-say
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know you don't want to hear it Rod, but it's going to affect us big time, if the top half of our conference leaves for the new BE.

Raiding the MVC, CAA, and Horizon is going to do what exactly? Could we even do that? If the A10 is decimated, you can say bye-bye to the new TV contract they just signed. Who would want to join?

Even if the A10 were to replace some of the teams leaving, with those Midwest schools, then you have a conference that is spread out all over the place, with major travel expenses involved for all.

Other schools' message boards are all over this too. At least most of them are rumored to be going. Most scenarios don't include us. Even Dayton's fans are really worried they won't go, unless the new league goes to at least 12 teams. Most of them would prefer to stay in the A10 if possible. I hope they're right.

A scenario that might work for URI, would be if the CAA and what's left of the A10 merge, and they drop the weakest programs from both conferences. Even though there would be more travel involved, then URI would be in the combined conference in all sports including football. Maybe there could be a CAA/A10 North and South division for BB too, with say 16 teams total. This new league wouldn't be as strong as what we have now, but it could be good for 2-4 bids a year. Who knows, maybe VCU and Richmond would be a part of it?

I could live with that.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Seems like it is more important for the start up sports channels that are trying to compete with ESPN to be able to land the new C7. Just considering the established tradition and their brand already having clout. ESPN doesn't need the C7 that bad.

I am guessing that ESPN could easily replace the C7 with A10 basketball and people wouldn't know the difference really. **I am talking C7 NOT the actual BIG East as we have known it. Depaul vs Villanova isn't more interesting than Dayton vs St. Joes

If the C7 cant land the cream of the A10 then I just feel like the A10 can fill the space they leave on ESPN.

Just saying. ESPN makes college basketball go around, they have the best coverage and they do an amazing 24/7 job of hyping anything they want to. Watch ESPN long enough and you will think that athletes run the country or something.

I should change my handle to Hopeful URI fan but I think we can come out of this better if our losses are mitigated and the C7 takes up with a network that isn't ESPN. Weekly wednesday night game on ESPN?? the A10 can roll out 1 good matchup each night. The leagues games are always down to the wire for some reason, the A10 is great viewing. Guard-centric league that is easy to watch.

does anyone realize Creighton is in Nebraska? I get confused that people think they are a viable option. Nebraska is a 4 hr flight from NYC, thats 8 hrs travel for the johnnies girls soccer team and any other team.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In the final analysis, all a school has control over is their own resources and vision. In this respective I give URI only a C. I know it may sound ridiculous given URI 's current attendance woes, but the Ryan Center should have been built larger with a capacity close to 10,000. When you look across the country and see 10,000 seat arenas at schools who have had a small impact on the national scene - Boise State, Evansville, Liberty, Middle Tennessee are just a few that come to mind - you get a perspective of what I mean.

The second important aspect is the size and quality of the fan base. Here is where the Baron years really hurt URI. JB was handed the Ryan Center in his second season and did nothing remarkable with that asset in his tenure and last year's attendance was Ryan's all time low. URI has good potential to correct this, but we are not there yet and our timing is not right given the on-going re-alignment developments.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Personally I think it would be dumb for A10 teams such as St. Louis and Richmond to leave. They will become the new basement in the C7 conference. I hope some of these teams that are mulling the possibility of leaving the A10 (outside of Xavier and Butler) understand that they won't have much in the way of NCAA appearances if they are going up against great basketball schools like Georgetown, Marquette and Villanova on a consistent basis. Then you throw in Butler and Xavier and the conference is going to be a mediocre mess record-wise come conference play. Someone has to win and someone has to lose. Someone has to be at the top and someone has to be at the bottom. Somehow I don't see Georgetown, Xavier, Butler, Marquette being at the bottom anytime soon. That would make up 4 bids if all those teams made the NCAA Tournament. There's no way they get more than 5..6max bids from that conference. There's going to be one extra conference than in years past, which will make bids most likely a little harder to come by. I think 5 bids is even a stretch, but who knows these days. Crazier things have happened.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
wakefield
Steve Chubin

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I pretty much don't have the energy to consider realignment until something is actually finalized, but this part was funny (what a vote of confidence!):

"The man who has been charged with piecing together the new league is Georgetown President John J. DeGioia, a job handed to him, according to those who know, in large part because of a lack of interest on the part of the presidents of St. John’s, Villanova, Seton Hall, DePaul, Marquette and Providence."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Lack of interest? Then why are they doing this?

Read John Feinstein's article about this tonight. He thinks Butler, X, StLouis, Dayton, and Richmond are going. VCU will stay in the A10. There is some talk about Siena [Siena?] being invited, but that doesn't look likely. No A10 Philly schools. No Gonzaga or Creighton, too far away. [I don't believe that about Creighton, where the fuck is Marquette?]

He also thinks something will be announced around the time of the Final Four.

More fodder for specualtion.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

ace wrote:
I pretty much don't have the energy to consider realignment until something is actually finalized, but this part was funny (what a vote of confidence!):

"The man who has been charged with piecing together the new league is Georgetown President John J. DeGioia, a job handed to him, according to those who know, in large part because of a lack of interest on the part of the presidents of St. John’s, Villanova, Seton Hall, DePaul, Marquette and Providence."

Haha...why do I get the distinct feeling this whole thing is going to end up being a train wreck in the making?? Cue, the drum roll please.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like the football BE is going to re-sign with espn, for pennies on the dollar compared to what they were offered a couple of years ago.

Something like 1.8 mil a year, which will be LESS than what the C7 BB schools will get from Fox Sports.

How the mighty have fallen. No wonder Cincy and UConn want out. BAD. BE football will become the WORST BCS conference in the land by far, if they weren't already.

The top FB leagues are getting close to 20 mil per team per year. A massive difference indeed.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Don't be shocked if UConn ends up with the C7 in the new conference for all sports (except football obviously).
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Catholic 7 AND Big East ready to make plans
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5238
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've been saying that for a while. Both UConn and Cincy may end up there.

While UConn's FB program will never be confused with big time, their BB [men's and women's] program IS big time, and are their flagship programs, just like our men's BB program is ours.

That might suffer if they remain where they are for very long. Everybody knows they want out in the worst way, but where do they go, if they can't join the ACC?

I would think TV would want them included with the C7. I hope both schools do join, would mean less A10 schools lost.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Interesting article.

The sands continue to shift. The C7 only wants a 10 team league?

I would be OK with losing just X and Butler. If the C7 wants 12 teams, then make UConn and Cincy those two. Would be a hell of a league.

I doubt StLouis and Dayton are very happy with these developments. Richmond? I would think Creighton would get the nod there. If Creighton is left out, the A10 should try and get them on board big time.

StLouis might leave and go elsewhere, since they would be left out alone in the Midwest, unless the A10 were to add a couple other Midwest teams to replace Butler and X.

Keeping Dayton and VCU would be great news for the A10 and Rhody. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

They could add Cleveland State or some other Midwest school, to replace X in Ohio.
Don't think Dayton or VCU is going anywhere.
I hope you heard Hurley tonight on the Mews Tavern show, saying the realignment
has had zero affect on his recruiting.
Wow! Duke is shooting 75% from 3! Just like us last night.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Yep, not looking good at all for Dayton joining the c7. I'm hoping maybe Cincinnati and UConn join the c7 to minimize the A10's losses. But, Cincinnati and Connecticut seemed destined for the ACC eventually.
wakefield
Steve Chubin

daytonflyerfan wrote:Yep, not looking good at all for Dayton joining the c7. I'm hoping maybe Cincinnati and UConn join the c7 to minimize the A10's losses. But, Cincinnati and Connecticut seemed destined for the ACC eventually.
It seems that the Mountain West and the ACC will pick apart the Big East but this will be after the C7 is formed. I wonder what Temple was thinking!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I'd be very surprised if the C7 extend invites to Cincy and UConn. Both have their eyes on fball, so it would be the same thing all over again. Wake me when it's all over
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

seanmc94 wrote:Wake me when it's all over
Yes, basically this, but I did think the idea of a smaller conference for the C7 to allow for more bigger OOC tv games was an interesting one, though.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe even URI can get in on that eventually.

That's after we get good.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DFF, I agree with you about Cincy. But unless the ACC twists BC's arm or something, UConn's not going to the ACC. Maybe someday, but not soon.

Cincy is really lobbying the ACC right now. They've got the inside track it looks like.

Also, after reading your board, it looks like a lot of Dayton fans would rather stay in the A10. That's good.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:They could add Cleveland State or some other Midwest school, to replace X in Ohio.
Don't think Dayton or VCU is going anywhere.
I hope you heard Hurley tonight on the Mews Tavern show, saying the realignment
has had zero affect on his recruiting.
Wow! Duke is shooting 75% from 3! Just like us last night.
What's the guy supposed to say publicly? Kids want to play in big games and losing the top 4 from the A10 would hurt URI. No way around this. Now, the sky won't fall. There will still be a season in 2014 but not being able to sell games against Butler, X, etc. will hurt the brand. Remember, we want Hurley to be mixing it up with the BCS conferences in recruiting, not Saint Bonnie's, and that is the first thing these other coaches are going to say. "You want play against Fordham and Duquense or at MSG and the Verizon Center?"
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

So how desperate are UConn and Cincinnati? Play football in the ACC, you get $19 million a year from TV rights. Play football in the "Big East", starting next year you get $1.8 million a year.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... media-deal
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What a mess! College sports has become a whore's game.
I really liked hearing on Basketball Tonight on CBS Sports, how the bottom of our league is,"Garbage".
Thanks, Baron.
It looks like VCU and Dayton are safe, anyway. I hope the A-10 is laying the groundwork to replace whoever leaves.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

The fight for the name and how that impacts the deals will be interesting. Notice ESPN writes the Catholic schools are leaving the "Big East" instead of splitting with the football schools.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

GBG, what he said last night in public, is the same thing he told me
face to face Tuesday.
Plus, the trio I was talking to, all agreed, nothing they've heard makes 100% sense.
So far, it's all hypothetical, until after the season, and shoes start dropping.
It's not as if the A-10 hasn't taken hits before, and survived.
Like telling a recruit Seton Hall-Depaul is bigtime, over VCU-St. Louis in the A-10.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The football schools are done-zo.

The only thing they can hope for is that the rumors of ACC teams like UNC headed to B1G are true, which would then open them up pretty profitable football/basketball spots in the ACC. I would then envision the ACC becoming like a Big East football-only conference between the holdovers and the new teams. If the ACC were to lose UNC and say Duke to the B1G, what incentive does FSU, Miami, V-Tech have to stay?

The Big East for a long time has killed themselves with their own indecisiveness. They could not stabilize the football conference, and now football-wise, they aren't even a BCS conference. They have lost that title, so they are simply a decent mid-major football conference. It at least went from a promising one with Boise to now simply average, and then they wonder why the Big East basketball schools didn't want to play with UCF, East Carolina, Tulane, etc.

Furthermore, if Hurley is as good of a recruiter as we all believe, then realignment where it stands right now won't really have a large effect on most. Maybe once things finalize, but not now. He and his staff are dynamite, they have already made a huge impact, and can only continue to improve. With a pretty young team with the ability to grow into a consistent NCAA tourney competitor over the next 4 years, winning cures all. If you can win at that level and the conference remains decent, you can recruit there.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Butler and Brad Steven went to two straight NCAA championship games, from the Horizon Conference.
VCU and Shaka Smart, and Jim Larranaga went to the Final Four both from the CAA.
There's no reason Hurley can't recruit in the A-10, minus Butler and Xavier.
Also, how big does the Big Ten intend to get? More schools means a smaller piece of the pie for everyone.
UNC to the Big Ten doesn't make a lot of sense. Not saying it won't happen, in a time when San Diego State and SMU actually joined the Big East.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Butler and Brad Steven went to two straight NCAA championship games, from the Horizon Conference.
VCU and Shaka Smart, and Jim Larranaga went to the Final Four both from the CAA.
Also, how big does the Big Ten intend to get? More schools means a smaller piece of the pie for everyone.
UNC to the Big Ten doesn't make a lot of sense. Not saying it won't happen, in a time when San Diego State and SMU actually joined the Big East.
Of course they can succeed in a league without, say, X/Butler/Dayton/SLU. But you can't really argue that it won't be harder. Kids want to play in big time games. It will make it harder for at-large teams from the A-10 just to make the tournament. And, let's be honest, it would be a lot easier to keep DH around if Rhody is in a hyper-competitive A10.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Butler and Brad Steven went to two straight NCAA championship games, from the Horizon Conference.
I think most people subscribe to the 4 major conference of 16 theory ... 2 more teams to the Big 10 would give them 16 (because of Rutgers and Maryland already).

If that is the case, it frees up a bunch of schools from the ACC to the Big 12 or SEC .. V-Tech, Florida St., Miami, G-Tech, maybe even places like NC, Virginia, or some of the newer schoosl come into play.

I think eventually Boise, BYU and a few others will end up in the PAC-12.

I'm with you Rod, this stuff is wacked out crazy. But I guess people will do crazy things for millions of dollars.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

VATech, Florida St., Miami, G-Tech. NC State, can dominate ACC football forever.
Why would they want to be small fish in the giant SEC pond?
I think Maryland was foolish to go to the Big Ten, and kill all their natural rivalries.
Why would Virginia leave? Great school, but nothing special in athletics, these days.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:VATech, Florida St., Miami, G-Tech. NC State, can dominate ACC football forever.
I think Maryland was foolish to go to the Big Ten, and kill all their natural rivalries.
Why would Virginia leave? Great school, but nothing special in athletics, these days.
Money talks. They can be that big fish in a crappy pond, or go to the B1G or SEC or B12 and be a small fish but make more than $10 million more per season based on old contract estimates.

You can tell how much these schoos lack foresight though. 4 teams make the "new" playoff system. There will be the BCS-type seeding system, but you basically have to win your conference to guarantee a bid. Any conference winner in the top 6 gets an automatic bid unless 4 spots already taken, so the only way a 2nd team from a conference gets in is if in the top 6, there are not 4 conference winners.

Being in a tougher conference doesn't really benefit you, but alas, money still talks.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:VATech, Florida St., Miami, G-Tech. NC State, can dominate ACC football forever.
Money talks. They can be that big fish in a crappy pond, or go to the B1G or SEC or B12 and be a small fish but make more than $10 million more per season based on old contract estimates.

You can tell how much these schoos lack foresight though. 4 teams make the "new" playoff system. There will be the BCS-type seeding system, but you basically have to win your conference to guarantee a bid. Any conference winner in the top 6 gets an automatic bid unless 4 spots already taken, so the only way a 2nd team from a conference gets in is if in the top 6, there are not 4 conference winners.

Being in a tougher conference doesn't really benefit you, but alas, money still talks.
No way the SEC, who drives the bus, goes for this. They have 3,4,5 teams every year in the top ten final BCS rankings. Why would they give away those spots to champs of lesser conferences. Also, it will be over the dead bodies of UGA and UF before FSU (or Miami or even g Tech get SEC invites).
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Gonebarongone wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

No way the SEC, who drives the bus, goes for this. They have 3,4,5 teams every year in the top ten final BCS rankings. Why would they give away those spots to champs of lesser conferences. Also, it will be over the dead bodies of UGA and UF before FSU (or Miami or even g Tech get SEC invites).
I agree about FSU and Miami. I think most of those teams will be headed for the B12 if anything.

And I guess they changed the way they were going to select teams. That was the way they were going to do that at first. My fault on the bad info.

Just happened to catch this Brett McMurphy piece from a few weeks ago:

BCS executive director Bill Hancock said the selection committee would consist of between 14-20 members, including at least one individual representing each of the 10 FBS conferences.

Finding more than a dozen individuals interested won't be a problem. But finding individuals that are interested and qualified to be on the committee might be a tougher task.

The committee will resemble the NCAA men's basketball tournament's selection committee, except there will be a great deal more pressure and scrutiny on the football committee determining which four teams can compete for the national title.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... 20-members