2012-13 Prediction Contest Summary

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Re: 2012-13 Prediction Contest Summary

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

8-8. I think that is doable. Lets go Rhody!
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With the defeat by Charlotte, URI suffers its 10th loss and rhodylaw is eliminated from contest.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hate to say it, but 6 conference wins ain't happening. I've been back and forth on this, but after today, we'll be lucky to win 4 games.

No Barclays. It's going to be tough on the Hurleys, losing 20 games, but it's safe to say it will never come close to happening again while they're here!

There will be bright spots for sure the rest of the season, but there will be many more of the other kind. The holdovers are just not good enough to make a difference.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I have to agree. I felt after the Georgia State game, we were in pretty good shape
for the A-10 play. The OOC seemed to be tougher than A-10 play.
Then came the St. Mary's debacle, an ugly win vs. Brown, and now two conference losses.
This game today was disturbing.
Hare is not improving. he hit his peak at PC, and hasn't done much since.
If he improved from PC to now, he could have made a real difference.
Nik? What happened? He was always a good scorer, if nothing else.
When Munford is off, like today, it's Mission Impossible.
VCU turned Dayton over 26 times the other night. Scary prospect.
What i thought could be 6-8 wins, in reality, seems more like 3-4 wins.
Just not enough offensive options. Just not enough interior defense or offense.
Not enough rebounding.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe 5-11 is hat we finish ??
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Hurley Show is eliminated with URI upset of SLU (every game will result in an elimination from here out)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bye bye Hurley show bye bye !!!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

It's so fun to go back and read how we all overreact for every win/loss.

I still think an 8-8 finish is very possible.

Should Wins: SLU, GW, Fordham, Bonnies, @dukes, LaSalle, UMass

Possible wins: @umass, Dayton, X, @Temple, @joes

And who knows...maybe we bring it when VCU comes in here
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Six wins, tops.
St. Joes? I've seen them take VCU into OT at VCU.
Tall and talented.
Temple? Same.
UMass is huge.
Xavier? When was the last time we beat them? I think Harrick was coach.
Dayton? Maybe. We seem to have their number, like St. Louis'.
Bonaventure won't be easy. They beat Temple at Temple.
Lasalle has a load of scorers, and a good bigman. Not easy.
We match up with teams that are like us.
Perimeter shooting, without big frontlines.
Bottom line. No sure wins. Hurley would be the first to tell anyone that.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will say 5 or 6 wins

We probably lose a game we should win and win a game we should lose

Dont say that 10 times fast !!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Essam drops off with last night's loss.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With the loss to Fordham, rhodyRams08, ramswin, SDRam, and Seawrightspostgame are eliminated from the contest.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Last years team went 4-12 in the A-10 and 7-24 overall. Do we match conference wins this year?? I think so and I don't see us getting any more than 5 conference wins.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
RamJam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamJam »

IM still going strong... dont like my chances though
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The season is now more than two thirds complete and 20 of the 85 participants in the contest have been officially eliminated: 2 on the pessimistic end and 18 on the optimistic side, a fact which confirms the overall optimistic bets placed in contest. I have to assume this optimism was generated basically because of the arrival of Dan Hurley as URI coach.

Last season, URI at 7-24, .226 had one of the worst seasons in history. Because the Rams play two less games this year, the 24 losses of last season cannot be exceeded, but a worst case, 6-23 record, would give a winning percentage of .207, lower than last year’s disaster. URI has now lost 5 straight games and 7 of their last eight, a losing streak matching the one that opened the season. The UMass loss also guarantees a second straight losing season for URI.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I predicted 10 wins but I now believe 8 will be the number based on losing some I thought we would win....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Versus Dayton URI secured its 7th win of the season matching the win total of last season with six games left to play. Rhody's record now moves to 7-16 and UCH21377 is officially eliminated from contest. BTW, UCH, if the numbers in your username refer to the date of your birth, then Happy Birthday!.......or Happy Anniversary!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I figured out that those of us who predicted 9-20 with a 5-11 conf. record (5 of us including myself) can not win. If they end up at 9-20, our friend Isaac would win because they would have to go 4-12 in conference. Isaac is the only one who predicted that.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

9-20 is now looking very likely.

2 more wins, one this Saturday and one more at home.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Obadiah wrote:Versus Dayton URI secured its 7th win of the season matching the win total of last season with six games left to play. Rhody's record now moves to 7-16 and UCH21377 is officially eliminated from contest. BTW, UCH, if the numbers in your username refer to the date of your birth, then Happy Birthday!.......or Happy Anniversary!
Obadiah thanks for the thought, but actually it's neither. Born much earlier, married a few years later. But I'll take the early wishes (Anniversary July, BDay Oct)!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With the URI win over Duquesne tonight, the Rhody record is now 8-16 and Section(105) and RamJam are officially eliminated from the contest. The Rams have now exceeded the win total of last season!!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With the loss to La Salle, the URI record is now 8-18 and the following have been officially eliminated from the contest:
Rhody10ltu09 , RAM67, skwalk, sf2010, reef , NHRamFan, Iggy1979, McRam, STC, Sweep The Leg, ATPTourFan, RhodeRule, jmck, Twisted 3829, and Shinze88 .

Others also eliminated due to prediction of overall record and conference record not in sync are:

From the 11-18 bettors pool; jaywin86, URI_05, rodfromcranston, and mmp136 are eliminated.

From the 10-19 bettors pool; Bos8, urirx, uri78, and Ramulous are eliminated.

From the 9-20 bettors pool; Billyboy78, NY2Rhody, URIGonzo, bjornsupremacy, Rhody D are eliminated.

From the 8-21 bettors pool; SmartyBarrett, bpaz11, RIhoopz14 are eliminated.

If my reckoning is correct, this leaves about 16 contestants still in the hunt, but given that two of the three remaining games are on the road and given the W/L record of the opponents, not all 16 have an equal shot. Both Issac and CTRamFan have the best chances, but who knows.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have been officially eliminated but I had a blast participating
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With today's loss to Temple, 80 of the 85 participants in the contest have been eliminated. Here are the remaining five particpants with a shot to win: adam914, URI96, MERam, Issac, CTRamFan.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

It might be a photo finish.....coming down to the wire.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Haven't looked at this thread since I made my prediction a long time ago, and couldn't even remember what i guessed. Looking back, I'm pretty happy with my 8-21 4-12 prediction even though i've been eliminated. Good luck to the rest.....
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Obadiah wrote:With today's loss to Temple, 80 of the 85 participants in the contest have been eliminated. Here are the remaining five particpants with a shot to win: adam914, URI96, MERam, Issac, CTRamFan.
OB, I believe adam914 and MERam are out. URI needs to win out for their predictions to come true, but both have picked UMass to win the last game of the season. If Rhody wins out, URI96 would be the winner. (sorry Adam and MERam)

So if Rhody goes:

2-0: URI96 wins
1-1: Issac wins
0-2: CTRamFan wins
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Obadiah wrote:With today's loss to Temple, 80 of the 85 participants in the contest have been eliminated. Here are the remaining five particpants with a shot to win: adam914, URI96, MERam, Issac, CTRamFan.
OB, I believe adam914 and MERam are out. URI needs to win out for their predictions to come true, but both have picked UMass to win the last game of the season. If Rhody wins out, URI96 would be the winner. (sorry Adam and MERam)

So if Rhody goes:

2-0: URI96 wins
1-1: Issac wins
0-2: CTRamFan wins

Dude you just crushed all my hopes and dreams...I thought this was the year!!
MERam
Jim Eitner

Unread post by MERam »

Damn it! I changed my prediction at the last minute because I didn't want to see them reaching the dreaded 20 loss plateau trench?) again. Serves me right for letting my heart and hopes get the best of my head.

Even with less talent, they played harder, better and smarter than last year. Next season could be fun.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Good get, SmartyBarrett. I got cross eyed and missed that URI 96 had picked URI in final game. After tonight the contest will be down to two.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With URI's 20th loss, the contest is officially down to two - Issac and CTRamfan. An upset by URI will be needed to give the prize to Issac.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Would be funny if Cindy Baron, uhh, I mean Issac, won the contest.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

STC wrote:Would be funny if Cindy Baron, uhh, I mean Issac, won the contest.
Speaking of Cindy Baron, her artwork is being featured in some exhibit in EG, I believe. It was weird to read when I got the press release for it.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am pulling for Ike !!!
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I hope Isaac wins. I want a victory on the court today.
It has been a much, much better year than last, in terms of effort. Motivated players and really good coaches. A standing "O" for those graduating and Bigby, for giving it their all.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With the loss to UMass, the final URI record for the 2012-23 season is 8-21 and that combined with the Rams' A-10 record of 3-13
makes the contest winner..... CTRamfan
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Thanks to Obadiah again for his/her generosity in running this contest and supplying the prizes.....

......may it come back to you manyfold!!!!!!!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes, absolutely. Many thanks once again for the great competitions!!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Congrats CTRamfan (you pessimistic bastard!), and many thanks to Obie as always. Very early entry for next year: 20-11*

*I reserve the right to amend before next fall.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great contest, congrats to CTRam fan
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Wow. 85 predictions with 76 projecting a better record than what Rhody finished with. Seems most all were very overly optimistic. A coach cannot win games by themself. They need talent. Hopefully next year the combination of a good coach and some talent will yield entirely different results.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:Wow. 85 predictions with 76 projecting a better record than what Rhody finished with. Seems most all were very overly optimistic. A coach cannot win games by themself. They need talent. Hopefully next year the combination of a good coach and some talent will yield entirely different results.
RF1,
4 posters predicted the exact win total of 8
76 posters predicted a higher than the actual win total
5 posters predicted a lower than the actual win total

The weighted average win total was 12.1

61 Posters predicted URI would make the A10 Barclay's Post Season Tournament. 24 said URI would not make it.
1 Poster predicted 4 wins in Brooklyn
5 predicted 2 wins
24 predicted we would win one game in Brooklyn

What I read a lot of on the Board was how we had good talent but Baron did not get the most out of it that he should have. The belief was that Hurley would take the talent we had and do great things with it. The preseason physical drills were cited as a big difference between Baron and Hurley in addition to the basic Coaching abilities, etc.
Maybe it was unfair to expect so much out of Hurley and Company at the end of the day. Also I think that the value of Billy Baron, Jonathan Holton and possibly even Dominique McKoy were in general underestimated. In fairness I think Baron was so soured upon by our Board members that they were delieriously happy and anticipating miracles at Kingston - can't blame them - kind of like seeing mirages in the desert after going without water for 12 years. Munford turned out to be better than most expected - a pleasant surprise and a good boost for next year to anticiapte.
All in all, here at the end of a disappointing 8 win season the Board is pleased with the Coaching Staff which is a good thing considering an 8 win season. All are pleased with the effort, the Coaching style, the aggressive play, the defense, the transfers and the two incoming Top 125 ranked recruits.
Interesting below is the original Preseason Coaches poll. Note the Coaches predicted the exact finish for the last 4 teams with URI at 15. So it's not like we disappointed - other than our own Keaneyblue Prediction Poll.

1 Saint Joseph's
2 Saint Louis
3 VCU
4 Temple
5 UMASS
6 Butler
7 Salle
8 Dayton
9 Xavier
10 Richmond
11 St. Bonaventure
12 Charlotte
13 Geo. Washington
14 Fordham
15 Rhode Island
16 Duquesne
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

They were correct on the last three teams. The 13th place team this year was SBU and not GW.