Big East - Basketball Only Schools Leaving

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Big East - Basketball Only Schools Leaving?

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, the sky DID fall!

Last weekend, to be exact.

Over 2 feet of it! :P

P.S. Rod, when you see the Hurleys again, ask them what they think of this realignment stuff, maybe they will drop a tidbit or two in your lap. Maybe see if it's impacting recruiting a little bit, or whatever. Can't hurt!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I wish I'd asked him about it. There were so many things I did cover,
but yes, that's a big one.
I know, one of us or all of us can ask him the question through the
link for the Thursday show.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sounds good to me. Another question would be, breaking down why this team can't finish games. Talent wise, yes, this team is in the bottom 4 of the league, but they should have been able to win at least a couple of these close games lately.

I mean, if JB was still here, we'd be blaming him, but Hurley gets a pass so far, and he should, imo anyway. We all know that Dan and Bobby are doing all they can to try to win these games.
Last edited by rambone 78 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rambone 78 wrote:Sounds good to me. Another question would be, breaking down why this team can't finish games.

I mean, if JB was still here, we'd be blaming him, but Hurley gets a pass so far, and he should, imo anyway. We all know that Dan and Bobby are doing all they can to try to win these games.
They can't finish because they're in the games due to smoke and mirrors. Not talented enough to win. No post threat, terrible rebounding, average foul shooting, and only one legit outside shooter.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

96, and one big reason:

They fall apart under pressure. The bad habits reappear at the worst times.

You've heard the saying "you can't fix stupid?"

Well, you can't fix not having much talent, I guess.

When a team like the Bonnies scores 21 points in the last five minutes, after you've played good D all game, something's not right.

Kate Upton could score on us at will. Come to think of it...that's not a bad idea! :twisted:
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

I'm assuming other programs were telling recruits not to come to URI anyway, because...well that should be really obvious.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

My man Rod. I like you, you are a good poster, passionate for sure, even if we don't agree on how long Big Hurley will be at URI.

Your thoughts on posters who post under multiple handles? I think they are pretty lame.

Real question though:

I love the Ryan Center -- It's a great on campus facility, IMHO. That said, do you think the administration sort of backed themselves into a corner with the construction plans back in the day? I mean, is there room for expansion without massive $$? With realignment talk and conferences moving, it's too bad I feel the Ryan Center as a venue is too small to be a player in any potential creative conference realignments.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The RC is too small...it was big enough when built, but since then the cost of buy games with good opponents has gone up and we can't guarantee the money for big games. But that being said, its only been sold out a few times. Now, I can see getting more sell outs if Hurley has the success we hope for.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thanks superfly.
Posters with multiple screennames? I know they exist, but why?
To back themselves up, I guess. Why do you ask?
I always had a problem with the Ryan Center, in that the initial plans got
whittled down from what they originally were.
The light towers were supposed to be much taller. The building itself was supposed to be higher.
No overhead scoreboard. One forth of the arena chopped off to squeeze it into a space so that the glorious football field
could be overlooked.
I understand the corner near Tootell could be taken down for the seats that should have gone there, to bring capacity to around 10,000.
The floor seats behind the baskets could be expanded closer to the court, kind of like the Dunk has those
seats cantered on a platform. I've been to Rutgers, and Ryan is better than the RAC, which will be a Big Ten facility.
Of course, it would take money to expand.
We haven't filled it yet this year, and you'd need a reason to justify expense.
On a sad note. Sorry to hear about Bruce Campbell's illness. He and Jiggy Williamson were teammates at Wibur Cross.
He had some real battles withh Sly over the years. I hope he recovers soon.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Thanks superfly.
Posters with multiple screennames? I know they exist, but why?
To back themselves up, I guess.
I always had a problem with the Ryan Center, in that the initial plans got
whittled down from what they originally were.
The light towers were supposed to be much taller. The building itself was supposed to be higher.
No overhead scoreboard. One forth of the arena chopped off to squeeze it into a space so that the glorious football field
could be overlooked.
I understand the corner near Tootell could be taken down for the seats that should have gone there, to bring capacity to around 10,000.
The floor seats behind the baskets could be expanded closer to the court, kind of like the Dunk has those
seats cantered on a platform. I've been to Rutgers, and Ryan is better than the RAC, which will be a Big Ten facility.
Of course, it would take money to expand.
We haven't filled it yet this year, and you'd need a reason to justify expense.
On a sad note. Sorry to hear about Bruce Campbell's illness. He and Jiggy Williamson were teammates at Wibur Cross.
He had some real battles withh Sly over the years. I hope he recovers soon.
You'd have to ask BKRichmond aka 3wisemen why someone would use multiple handles .... Guess he isn't confident in his opinions, or knows he is a joke, all are acceptable responses. He pretends to be a PC fan, and then pretends to be a URI fan. Well I think he is a URI fan, but why pretend?

Now that my brother is going to be a student there next year, I hope to get some better seats without being pinned behind a railing and catch a few more games for cheap.

I've never been to the RAC, always seemed like a dump when watching on TV, yet it gives a good home court advantage. I guess Ryan can be much of the same, I've heard that place get pretty loud, but I would definitely consider it an overall nicer facility. I'm headed to Rutgers for the first time next year for the Arkansas/Rutgers football game so I'll have to check it out.

URI should cut the football program, and actually put that money to good use ... Does anyone ever see URI football being anything other than mediocre? I probably wouldn't even mention it if you didn't hear a fair amount of URI fans complain about the state of the program/facilities. Imagine pumping those hundreds of thousands of dollars into basketball, facilities, etc?
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree, 100% on football. Kill it or cure it. Just letting it suffer, as it has for so long, is a joke.
Now, The RAC. It's in the middle of nowhere, not on campus.
It's a one story nondescript building, which is mostly underground, like New Mexico's The Pit.
You walk in, and you're in the upper level! Lots of bench seats, back when I was there.
Nothing special.
3 Wisemen seems to be a recent poster here. Seems articulate enough. I haven't formed any opionion
thus far. I think BK Richmond used to post on the Projo board.
A few guys have changed their handles since moving here. It took me a bit to figure out a couple.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I feel sorry for "Friar Roy." Rumor has it that he got "fired" for cheering for URI during a double header with PC. He seemed like a nice guy.
The ram that put the tire over the hawk should be in the URI hall of Fame.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Let's assume worst (best) case scenario depending on who you are for the Big East/Catholic 7 or whatever it's called:
Catholic 7
1 Depaul - Midwest
2 Georgetown - Mid Atlantic
3 Marquette - Midwest
4 PC - Northeast
5 St John's - Northeast
6 Seton Hall - Northeast
7 Villanova - Northeast
Plus
8 Xavier - Midwest
9 Dayton - Midwest
10 Butler - Midwest
11 Creighton - Midwest
12 St Louis - Midwest
Gives Catholic 7: 4 Northeast Teams, 7 Midwest Teams and 1 Mid Atlantic Team

A10
Current
1. VCU - Mid Atlantic
2. URI - Northeast
3. St Joes - Northeast
4. UMASS - Northeast
5. St Bonaventure - Northeast
6. Richmond - Mid Atlantic
7. LaSalle - Northeast
8. Duquesne - Northeast
9. Fordham - Northeast
10. George Washington - Mid Atlantic
Plus Possibles
11. George Mason - Mid Atlantic
12. Davidson - Mid Atlantic
13. Northeastern - Northeast
14. Delaware - Mid Atlantic
15. Towson - Mid Atlantic
16. Drexel - Mid Atlantic
Gives the A10 8 Northeast Teams and 8 Mid Atlantic Teams - out of the Midwest Market

While there is the "Sky is Falling" fear that the A10 will be dismantled beyond hope, The A10 also yields an attractiveness to good teams/schools from other conferences. A10 should stay at their current size of 16 teams. Shoot for a Northeast and Mid Atlantic Presence and stay out of the Midwest.

Lot's of discussion on the TV Contracts. Media is changing in big ways. We are soon to be where every D1 School will be able to watch every game of the season on their PC or TV. Check out a Saturday and there are many, many games to choose from to watch. More and more almost any game in the country will be accessible to view.
This will make the Big East / Catholic 7 something that fans of that league will watch.

While clearly this A10 is not as strong as the current, I like the idea of keeping an Atlantic Focus - Northeast and Mid Atlantic. Easier Travel, same time zone, ability to build more natural rivalries.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Get well soon Soupie Campbell
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

ramster, just as a point of order, Davidson is the South, not the Mid-Atlantic. George Mason, VCU, and Richmond could be called the South too, but I've never seen anything that doesn't include North Carolina in the South of the United States.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

My only question would be: There seems to be talk of the A-10 being this "desirable destination."

So if they lose Xavier, Butler, St. Louis, Team Y, in addition to Temple who is out and UMASS who is likely gone, is the conference really that desirable anymore?

Couldn't the CAA easily just decide to merge with some of the schools listed and try to bring back VCU and create a southern-centric, basketball conference?

I don't think that would happen, but I think it is far from a slam dunk that the A-10 is desirable to lesser teams/programs.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:My only question would be: There seems to be talk of the A-10 being this "desirable destination."

So if they lose Xavier, Butler, St. Louis, Team Y, in addition to Temple who is out and UMASS who is likely gone, is the conference really that desirable anymore?

Couldn't the CAA easily just decide to merge with some of the schools listed and try to bring back VCU and create a southern-centric, basketball conference?

I don't think that would happen, but I think it is far from a slam dunk that the A-10 is desirable to lesser teams/programs.
quoted for truth
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

One farts and the other says, "Excuse me".
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

EasyEdBrown wrote:ramster, just as a point of order, Davidson is the South, not the Mid-Atlantic. George Mason, VCU, and Richmond could be called the South too, but I've never seen anything that doesn't include North Carolina in the South of the United States.
Official word from Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_states
Mid-Atlantic states
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Mid-Atlantic states, also called middle Atlantic states or simply the mid Atlantic, form a region of the United States generally located between New England and the South Atlantic States. Its exact definition differs upon source, but the region often includes Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., New York, Virginia, and West Virginia. North Carolina is sometimes also included. The Mid-Atlantic has played an important role in the development of American culture, commerce, trade, and industry.

I guess the point that Davidson (20 miles North of Charlotte) is not Mid Atlantic could be debated - but point is that it is not very far from Virginia, home of a bunch of A10 and CAA Schools. It is also close to UNC Charlotte - a school that is now departing the A10.
My point is that the A10 can survive quite well with the recruiting away from the A10 of our best schools. Nothing unusual for the Big East organization. Other schools that used to be in the A10 were West Virginia, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech and Penn State. Then the BE grabs Temple.
I like the East Coast Version of the A10 - Stay on the Atlantic like the name says, stay with 16 teams as we have now.

PC Posters now want to act like schools won't want to join the A10 and opt for the CAA instead? Never satisfied are they until the A10 is totally destroyed.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:
PC Posters now want to act like schools won't want to join the A10 and opt for the CAA instead? Never satisfied are they until the A10 is totally destroyed.
It was a hypothetical my man ... Is a conference really "desirable" when it loses something like 6 of its top 8 teams, and the bottom is a joke? Do programs really view George Washington, Fordham, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, LaSalle, are they viewed as desirable teams to join? I didn't include URI because they are at least on the upswing, but they would also be on that lacks desirability list.

There is really one "desirable" program likely to remain in the A-10 at this point, and that is VCU. The TV contract is going to take a HUGE hit as well.

Thus why I asked, with the southern-centric teams really view it as desirable when the conference as a whole will step back? Wouldn't it make sense for them to try to build a southern-centric conference and grab VCU/Davidson/etc. to stay with Mason, etc. rather than join the A-10?

Just a question... More specifically, how much would these "southern" schools benefit from joining the A-10 that they couldn't get with staying together down south?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:My only question would be: There seems to be talk of the A-10 being this "desirable destination."

I would say that the A10 is the most desirable Conference - it is unfortunate that the Catholic 7 is likely taking away Xavier, St Louis, Temple, Dayton and Butler. But to act like the A10 is now not attractive? Teams will line up for the A10 to back fill those 5 slots - plus the slot opened by UNC Charlotte. It will not be the conference strength it is today but it will be a good conference.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Other than when Curry was there, Davidson hasn't been significant since Fred hetzel was an AA back in the mid 60's.
Why would the A-10 jump on tiny Davidson?
There are no shortages of options for adding teams to the A-10.
The A-10 has always been a higher profile conference than CAA, so cut the crap.
Worry about your own program.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:

I would say that the A10 is the most desirable Conference - it is unfortunate that the Catholic 7 is likely taking away Xavier, St Louis, Temple, Dayton and Butler. But to act like the A10 is now not attractive? Teams will line up for the A10 to back fill those 5 slots - plus the slot opened by UNC Charlotte. It will not be the conference strength it is today but it will be a good conference.
My point is -- why will teams line up? 1 desirable team to play with, diminishing TV value.

I don't think the A-10 will be a joke, but I think if I'm sitting down at Davidson or George Mason, I'm thinking how to create a more localized, stronger southern conference? And if it can be done, great. And if it can't, we join the A-10.

I don't think money will make a difference, but logistics could play a part. Outside of VCU, what draw is there to play in the A-10, right now (excluding other teams likely out)?

And the A-10 has been higher profile because it had schools like Xavier (consistent tourney team). It brought in teams like VCU and Butler (national players right now). It had Temple (usually consistent tourney team). Even when the conference was gutted, there were basketball-only programs that remained that were strong. Most of the draw to play in the A-10 is likely being gutted. I just fail to see how that makes it "most desirable."

So saying the A-10 has always been higher-profile may be true, but doesn't necessarily mean it will stay that way. Again, what is desirable besides VCU? A bunch of remaining programs who for the most part haven't put basketball first? A group of programs that may make a run once every 7 or 8 years but fold? A-10 participants don't even want a lot of these teams, why would others?

What does the A-10 provide RIGHT NOW that couldn't be built in a souther-centric conference? Still waiting on that answer. If the most valuable A-10 teams likely remaining weren't more southern schools, I wouldn't even bring it up.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 11 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

ramster wrote:

is this real life?
peeps4life
Kenny Green

rodfromcranston wrote:Other than when Curry was there, Davidson hasn't been significant since Fred hetzel was an AA back in the mid 60's.
this is true because of their top teams... most of which are leaving the conference.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I have had the same concern regarding how desirable we (A10) will be when ALL of the "Name" programs are gone. IMO we will be marginally better than the CAA or MVC. In the past we weathered defections because we always had 2-3 "name" programs to build around. BUT, the the big question is what happens to our TV money...we could still be a desirable option if for some reason we get to keep our TV contract, which is better than the CAA and MVC. If not, we are done for.

Though, I suppose if the TV network wants to renegotiate, or cancels our deal if we lose all the "name" teams, we should look to do what the C7 is doing and go to the TV networks and ask them who we need to add to get the best TV deal, and make it happen. It seems that what makes a conference desirable is TV money...good TV contract=desirable conference.

BTW,if we get less money from TV, how are we going to pay for the Hurleys? There is a reason coaches is lower conferences don't get as much as ours...then the whole thing becomes even more of an up hill battle...ugh!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RIFan, let's just hope that there are things going on behind closed doors as we speak, about just what you're talking about.

The A10 has been proactive in the past, they will have to be even more so, if at all possible.

When things start to move, they will move quickly. They will have to be ready.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You make big money to float a successful program by going to the NCAAs
and winning a game or two.
That's the view of our Athletic Department, and why there's a committment from the URI President on down, to the
basketball program.
Gonzaga pays Mark Few in the WAC, Butler paid Brad Stevens in the Horizon League, VCU paid Shaka Smart in the
CAA. How did they do it? NCAA runs.
The formula is there. We just need Hurley and company to do the rest.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Other than when Curry was there, Davidson hasn't been significant since Fred hetzel was an AA back in the mid 60's.
Davidson has been to the NCAA Tournament 5 times in this century alone. I mention them because they have been on the rumor list as a possibility with some analysts.
If not them then there are plenty of other possibilities out there as well - doesn't have to be Davidson.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Four with Curry.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Saw that Wilbur Cross team play, back in the day. Soupy was something. There were a bunch of great CT high school players back in those days; funny hardly any (basically none) went to UConn.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nominate | Report
Posted: 2/11/2013 1:40 PM
Re: uri fans...
Darth,
You might want to check out the Keaney Realignment Thread.
More laughs, more fun.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The Dunk! Where ranked teams go to die!" - Doug Gottlieb 2/28/12
Reply | Quote

So I go to the PC scout board to see what's happening and here is this post today from our new PC "friend" rjsuperfly66" to his uri hater buddy darth friar.
So now let's stop with your rationalizing your reasons for being on our board. To stir the pot - very clear is your sole purpose- that is painfully obvious now.
Wow buddy, you run back to your own board and brag to darth how screwed up a thread is on the uri board and YOU are the main driver.
You must have been a piece of work in high school or are you still there. Run and tell darth, run and go tell the principal.
Get a life.
Now go run to Darthy about how mean I was to you. Run to Richard Cohen and Steve too while you are at it. I am sure the PC moderators would approve of this crap
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great catch, Ramster. Looks like these PC fans have run out of good will.

Let this be their only warning. We give PC fans plenty of latitude here, but maybe we should pull back the reigns a bit like they do over at Scout Friars.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Where have you guys been? I nailed superfly on that last night.
We're here for shits and giggles for him.
They have a five page thread on how imbecilic URI fans are.
By the way, Richard Coren is a pretty good and fair guy.

Here's what I posted last night:
"Darth,

You might want to check out the Keaney Realignment Thread.

More laughs, more fun"

So you come here, on the pretense of having " a good back and forth discussion, and you go back to your board and mock us.
Looks kind of two faced to me.
You joined here 12/6 and have had 204 posts. All of them invariably giving PC the upper hand in every scenario.
You seem to have appointed yourself, the arbiter of all things URI, as if none of us has a clue to our own program,
its strengths and its limitations.
All based on not much more than rumor and speculation, and some media outlets with questionable information.
You claim it's all about the realignment, yet you've stuck you 2 cents worth going on at length about how our coach will soon leave, while yours is the new CFL.
You've done the passive aggressive shots at the Ryan Center. Too small to matter. Funny, we seat over 1,000 more than VCU's place. Ditto with Gonzaga's arena.
Really hurts them, huh? Ryan is 2,000 over St. John's place, 1,500 seats bigger than Villanova's arena.
But I digress.
You say the same things ad infinitum. Saying something like a mantra chant, doesn't make it right.
I think it's time for you to go back to Scout and share your giggles and putdowns about us in their five page thread about URI fans.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Again, Rod, we have given them plenty of latitude. There's no explanation they can provide to prove their good intentions to provide a fair and balanced viewpoint to this board.

Absolutely right that Richard Coren would not tolerate these games that disrupt each thread over here.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, maybe it's time to consider pulling the plug on them.

They are experts on putting us down when our team is down.

Starting next year, we won't be hearing nearly as much from them.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm actually not sure which is more pathetic...if he is just here to stir the pot basically, or if he really is here for honest discussion on realignment and means well but then is going back to the PC board looking for some odd sense of approval from people over there.

Either way its pretty sad. Hope you got the approval you were seeking from the Friar faithful RJ.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

First off gentleman, good win tonight. You guys deserve it. Dont believe me? Just go check out my comments on my own board. More on this in a second.

Second again, I found some lines of posts so hysterical that yes, I was childish and went back. Sue me? It's no different than posting irrelevant tax deals with the city.

I enjoy realignment talk here, to be honest. I hate it on my own board. I hate the only-positive angle. I don't think realignment is positive. Outside of the better contract, I think it sucks. I think PC is much worse off. Most don't, or won't admit it. I'm a devils advocate kind of guy, so if it seems I'm negative, I'm probably not, just inquiring. I do it to PC fan's all the time.

So do I get overboard? Yes. I apologize for that. Rod thinks I'm some kamikazie pilot so anything I say is always a dig or negative connotation. Not meant to be. Is what it is.

Enjoy your win for the night. In down seasons, it's all we have. Got to appreciate each and every one, don't worry about the BS. I'm gonna shut it down for a few days. Honestly, you should ignore threads and topics like this for a while, and really appreciate the wonderful job Hurley is doing. The effort is there, and sometimes that isn't always apparent in W/L. However, bring up PC, and I can't promise to stay away :D
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RJ, my advice for you is to take a self-imposed leave from this board. Once our seasons end with no postseason, there will be much more talk about realignment. Until then, best you steer clear.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

ATP,

That's weak sauce. RJ has engaged people on this board, but he hasn't been chirping to himself. Check the posts, he's been taking more off topic BS than anyone and he has tried to stay on point.
Where is the time-out warning for Obadiah for his factless attacks on PC in threads that weren't even about PC?

Take off the Rhody colored glasses and call it both ways.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

its a Rhody board, and ATP does all the dirty work....i think that entitles him to do whatever the hell he wants. u dont like it, go away. what pathetic loser is playing messenger boy (rj) on a fan board.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Whenever a PC fan like myself has a pro-URI point, its "Wow, good poster, informative, tolerable, etc."

Unless it's Rod, every complement is a backhanded, snide comment.

When the opinion counters the norm its "PC fanboy, loser, jackass, etc."

If my opinions were always so wild (say CAA one, which was more what-if and not serious, or the Hurley one), why did some of your fans agree with me?

If you don't want the opinion of PC fans, don't constantly talk or bash them, and don't title a thread, Big East basketball only schools leaving, and then when someone (not even myself) opens it up, it's mocking PC or their taxes or anything under the sun.

It's easy to say "Its our board," but don't trash Shanley or the school or the program, and not expect people to come and stand up for the school or discuss. If you saw something on Scout and didn't like it, please please please come and have intelligent discussion. That is always accepted on the site under Rich and Co. And even there, you will deal with the same fanboy BS you deal with here, except most of you don't want to think about that. But I encourage it, actually appreciate it.

If it was simply URI and realignment, no one would show up, or hardly even care. I care, but clearly my hypotheticals and discussions are not appreciated here. The discussion here was at least fun and back and forth until it became a pissing match (which it really didn't until we started talking taxes and how evil PC was), and then why read through that? I wouldn't want to, and I don't blame you guys for hating on it, but I'm sorry, even if the intelligent was interesting, not going to sit and watch baseless claims against PC.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The Fryuh Faih-weathah Faithful only come here for two reasons:
-- To try to persuade themselves that they're still superior to someone.
-- To do their, ahem, particular version of fact-checking our discussions, then go back to their own restricted board(s) to laugh at us.

Pathetic.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Good win last night URI fans. Hurley's keep doing work!
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I think Sean and RJ have been pretty fair so far in their discussions. Too often people on this board get up in arms if they say anything faintly provocative. Relax you homers and have a discussion. I'd much rather have some divergent opinions on this board than a bunch of homers agreeing with each other on everything.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

These guys we have right now are OK with me. The one guy I couldn't stand was Brutus, talk about arrogant.

There will be much more back and forth going forward, and that's a good thing.

At least we're finally in a position to care!

Both teams are getting better. PC has more talent right now. Next year, both will be good, who will be better, who knows?

Yes, PC's in a better place, deserved or not, in the realignment game, but we'll see what happens.

I'm looking forward to it all.
Last edited by rambone 78 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Keaney.Blue wrote:I think Sean and RJ have been pretty fair so far in their discussions. Too often people on this board get up in arms if they say anything faintly provocative. Relax you homers and have a discussion. I'd much rather have some divergent opinions on this board than a bunch of homers agreeing with each other on everything.
The problem is, I can see why they hate me. They don't know me as a poster.

I'm a what-if scenario kind of guy. I do it to the PC people. I did it throw the early stages of realignment, the "Is it good to break away because of X, Y, and Z?"

When people expect it or know you, you get good responses for the most part. When they don't, they likely think you are a jackass, and you get them angry and you get pointless arguing or vaguely unintelligent responses.

I find the "pointless" stuff to be pretty funny (on both sides -- not just here), but clearly that isn't my intention. You want to see something funny on the PC side -- beat a crappy USF team on the road and NCAA bubble talks resume. That is hysterical. I do it both ways, but if you don't choose to believe it, it's all good in the hood.

But I do honestly apologize for anything evil you thought of me, really was not the intention.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When they talk about NCAA bubble with PC after a win, well we talk about the Barclay's after a win.

Both are more than a little bit unrealistic. But that's the nature of the beast.

PC's starting five can play, talent wise, with most of the BE. Their problem is depth, or lack of it.

Our problem right now, is depth AND talent.

None of this will be a problem next year.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RJ, I'm not forcing you to leave, since as you can see you can still log in and post, but you may just want to make an effort to just blend in here and contribute. Don't feel or act like you are on some mission where you must report back to the ScoutFriars group on all that you say here.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:When they talk about NCAA bubble with PC after a win, well we talk about the Barclay's after a win.

Both are more than a little bit unrealistic. But that's the nature of the beast.

PC's starting five can play, talent wise, with most of the BE. Their problem is depth, or lack of it.

Our problem right now, is depth AND talent.

None of this will be a problem next year.
I think Barclays is at least an obtainable goal, just like I think PC fans should be sticking to BE bye's and NITs. You are two games out of Barclays. With how well you have played, that is not completely ruled out. I mean, well might overstate, but you are in games, and when you are in games, you can win games. It's not like you guys are getting crushed every time out. Played VCU tough, played Butler tough on the road, beat a good St. Louis team on the road.

PC is still 13-11 with losses to Penn St. (missing Council/Cotton/Dunn) and Brown and DePaul with a full team (although not particularly healthy). I didn't even include BC which wasn't a good loss either. PC is one game up for a 1st round BE bye, and most consider PC a bubble NIT team (before USF projections had them as a 6 seed, so does beating USF on the road maybe, maybe bump them to a 5 seed in NIT).

I can't buy PC for anything more than that until they beat a good team on the road (such as Syracuse, maybe even UCONN).

I'll try my best to blend, like a chameleon :D