2015-16 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2015-16 OOC opponents??

Unread post by bigappleram »

rodfromcranston wrote:PC also has a very fine recruiting class coming in.
I think as long as Cooley is coach, he'll have a
decent team.
I believe on paper this would be PCs least heralded class in the Cooley era?

Dunn/Ledo
Austin/Bullock
Chukwu/Lindsey/Bentil
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

TruePoint wrote:
bigappleram wrote:If PC loses Dunn I would NOT count on them being a Top 100 opponent.
The idea that the BE finished as the #2 RPI conference just shows how badly flawed RPI is as a metric.
And you base this on what?

They have a winning record against every conference they've played including 7-2 vs the ACC. So far four teams in the round of 32 with a chance at two more today. They have the number one seed in the East and while Nova could stumble, they could on a good day give Kentucky a run. I think the ranking looks pretty solid.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

The new big least handled their business this year, I'm not sure what it has to do with RPI but they showed up to play and probably are a top two conference this time around.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83 wrote: For next year Rhody needs to eliminate Pace, UMass Lowell, Delaware St, Detroit and add one game.
Richmond's three OOCs vs Top 50 were all away games. Their OOCs vs 51-100 were all at home except 1 neutral site game. Rhody will have to play Top 50 away to start.
We all know that scheduling isn't an exact science. The four schools I listed to eliminate were known as weak. There is obvious a margin from year-to-year. The suggestion is to be in a range next year. I don't think anyone is questioning Dan or this year's schedule. No one second guessed Nebraska. Those things are going to happen. Other teams in our conference schedule higher rated OOC so we can do it also. We know you can't do anything about early tournament opponents. Hopefully, Rhidy get two good opponents in the Cancun part of the tournament.

Use the 6 OOC games available to play 3 teams projected to be in the Top 50 and 3 teams projected to be 50-75. That is doable. We may need to play more road games but it is worth it.
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In terms of balance, they are a Top 2 or 3 no matter how you slice. ACC and Big 12 both have more muscle at the top and a lot more exposure so the perception is a bigger disparity.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Only the top matters. Who cares whose 7th best team is better?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Every one appreciates thoughtful analysis and not just being a "homer". To suggest that because a conference goes 4-0 in the first round makes them superior ignores complexity as the seeding issue clearly shows. Why did Georgetown merit a 4 seed and get the chance to play a one bid conference team, when Dayton got a 11 seed and also had to face a tough opponent in play-in game. Georgetown seeding places them in the top 16 teams and they do not merit that. And if that is not enough, you have PC fans whining about Dayton's unfair advantage in playing in Columbus.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I've heard more people this week complain about playing Dayton (even though they had a play-in game) in Ohio than I've ever heard people complain about playing Duke in NC.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Why not play Iona's schedule next year. 3 games against Manhattan, 2 against Canisius, throw in St Peters Paul and Mary. We would be a top 50 RPI team. Don't even need to beat a top 100 rpi team at all. Why bother scheduling them.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Once Dan & staff get back to Kingston, it is time to start putting together a decent OOC schedule. Need six more games to get to allowable 31.

HOME:
vs PC
vs other Cancun Tourney participant
vs other Cancun Tourney participant

NEUTRAL
@Cancun Tourney - vs Maryland, TCU, or Illinois State
@Cancun Tourney - vs Maryland, TCU, or Illinois State

AWAY
@Brown
@Nebraska
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Don't look for schedule help in being part of the doubleheader with the ACC at the Barclays Center next season (was part of the agreement to move the tourney for the ACC). Rumors are that the two games next season will be:

Boston College-Fordham
Wake Forest-GW

As expected, only the crap ACC teams are participating. Not a very good deal for the A-10.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Didn't expect anything different.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

That's crap, and why would the Barclay's Center not want higher profile ACC and A10 teams? I understand Fordham as they are local, but that would be the only reason for them.

They should want the Dukes, Virginias, NC States vs. the top of the A10. Win win for everyone, even the ACC.

How many years does this ACC-A10 matchup exist?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I read on another message board that URI and UMass will be playing a doubleheader at the TD Garden with URI drawing Kentucky. This is a rumor and I can't say one way or another how accurate the rumor is, but I figured it was worth passing it along.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Now that's a rumor that would be great. I hope are fans "travel well" to Boston.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If I'm understanding the schedule and format correctly, in the second part of the Cancun Challenge, Rhode Island will play TCU and then either Illinois State-Maryland.
Last edited by ace 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I read on another message board that URI and UMass will be playing a doubleheader at the TD Garden with URI drawing Kentucky. This is a rumor and I can't say one way or another how accurate the rumor is, but I figured it was worth passing it along.

That might actually make some sense. UMass-Amherst is not playing Boston College next year as they have at the Garden the last two seasons. They have typically played an opponent there most recent years (played a game vs Memphis a few years back that Cal had set up before leaving) but don't draw particularly well on their own. A doubleheader with another local team might help drive attendance making it cost effective. Given their connections to Cal at Kentucky and Bjorn at URI, this is not completely unthinkable. Cal may even prefer not to play his former team and have a different opponent. Would love this to happen. Rhody however might get a deal like PC (Brooklyn/Lexington) did where a return date is back in Lexington. A game at the Garden in Boston might even draw more Rhody fans than the Oklahoma State game at Mohegan Sun a few years back.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm all for good OOC opponents, but do we really want Kentucky?
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm all for good OOC opponents, but do we really want Kentucky?
Yes, yes we do.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A "home" [Boston] and home with Kentucky, would be the best we could ever hope to get.

Make it happen, Dan!

This would never have happened just a short time ago.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Kentucky? Absolutely!!! Even if we don't win, it will be great experience and certainly put us on the map nationally.
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I read on another message board that URI and UMass will be playing a doubleheader at the TD Garden with URI drawing Kentucky. This is a rumor and I can't say one way or another how accurate the rumor is, but I figured it was worth passing it along.

Where did you read this?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm all for good OOC opponents, but do we really want Kentucky?
Yes. Absolutely. It's a great measuring stick game, they're a prestige opponent pretty every year, the game will probably be on national TV, etc.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It helped PC earlier this season.

It would help us as well.

Now, let's get a game vs. UConn at Mohegan. Even a home and home, with ours at Mohegan, would work.

Ollie has shown interest in playing us, but old fart Calhoun is still being paid a measly 500K a year to be an "advisor" to the program, so as long as he's there, it's not happening.

As for the doubleheader in Boston, UMass would likely play another big name program too.

Would be a great deal for us. We would get a few thousand up there for that one.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote:

Where did you read this?
Sons of Sam Horn
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I'm for playing Kentucky especially if Ashley Judd shows up.!!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I'm with you OB!!!!!!!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hey, we wanted better OOC opponents, might as well start with the best!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Might be able to beat them next year. They'll lose a lot after this year.
I have doubts that'll happen though. Pretty vague rumor. Hope so!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:Might be able to beat them next year. They'll lose a lot after this year.
And as usual, they have two 5 stars and one 4 star coming in and are still in on a few more of the same.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Cal doesn't bolt to the NBA, they will have plenty next year.

They don't rebuild, they reload. The pressure to win there is greater than anywhere else.

It's like the Yankees. Either win the WS, or the year is a failure.

At Kentucky, anything less than a national title simply won't do.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote:Might be able to beat them next year. They'll lose a lot after this year.
You are joking right? Kentucky reloads every year with All-Americans.
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

On URI/UMass double header, source for the venue says "we are trying...stay tuned." Nothing official, but in the works for sure.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

We'll kick their asses while they're all blathering over this!!!!

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY LLC
Last edited by bressler3south 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Where did you read this?
Sons of Sam Horn

Got it:

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/topic/86755-20 ... ist/page-2

Saw that you inquired about this on the UMass Board as well:

http://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/view ... =1&t=14416

The reply to your post might have some logic. UMass just announced on 03-04-15 that Calipari will be honored next year for the 20th anniversary of the Final-4* appearance. A jersey for Cal will be retired some time next year at a date to be announced later.

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m- ... 15aaa.html
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

the pc board is reporting that we here are delusional if we think that Kentucky would lower themselves to play us........stick with playing Keene State...please
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

UMass To Retire Basketball Jersey In Honor Of John Calipari
As part of a 20th anniversary celebration of the 1995-96 Final Four team, UMass will retire a jersey to honor John Calipari.

A week later, they'll have a second ceremony negating the first.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Is that next season? I'm there if it happens!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:It helped PC earlier this season.

It would help us as well.

Now, let's get a game vs. UConn at Mohegan. Even a home and home, with ours at Mohegan, would work.

Ollie has shown interest in playing us, but old fart Calhoun is still being paid a measly 500K a year to be an "advisor" to the program, so as long as he's there, it's not happening.

As for the doubleheader in Boston, UMass would likely play another big name program too.

Would be a great deal for us. We would get a few thousand up there for that one.
I think a game at Mohegan vs. UConn would be great! But if it's going to be home and home, I want our home to be at the RC.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
Is that next season? I'm there if it happens!
What is being discussed now is for next season.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Melo Trimble is returning for his sophomore season to play with 5 star center Diamond Stone for Maryland. Those 2, plus Jake Layman, Jaylen Brantley and transfer Robert Carter from GT (former target of ours) will be a very tough matchup for us. I'd say they'll be preseason #2 in big 10, behind Mich St, and a top 10 team overall.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhody83 wrote:
You are joking right? Kentucky reloads every year with All-Americans.
Kentucky lost to Robert Morris in the NIT the year after they won the national title. There is a chance they lose the Harrison twins, Towns, Willie Cauley-Stein, Trey Lyles, Devin Booker. Even dakari Johnson. A lot depends on the Harrison twins because they have some pretty good players coming in who can fill around them but next year will not be a title type team for Kentucky.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blauds is "reporting" the Kentucky rumor too. Mentions URI and Northeastern. http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=12128
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Doesn't matter who Kentucky is losing. With their payroll, they'll have just as much talent next year.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Blauds is "reporting" the Kentucky rumor too. Mentions URI and Northeastern. http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=12128

UMass-Northeastern is not the most attractive undercard. Would be nice to get another big name for the early game.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Kentucky has already landed Briscoe and Labissiere, both 5 star, top 15 players. They are also the favorites to land Malik Newman, Jaylen Brown and Thon Maker, all 5 star, top 15 players. They may be waiting to see which current Kentucky players are staying.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

The team I was talking about had the #2, #8, and #25 recruit as frosh. And, oh by the way, Willie Cauley Stein as a frosh. And Alex Poythress. And current All American Kyle Wiltjer. They didn't make the NCAAs. Kentucky will never be bad but, if there is going to be a year to play them, it's probably next year.
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Wasnt there previous talk of us getting a game vs Duke? Was that for this coming season or the next season? If we played Kentucky, Duke, and Maryland in the same season that would be epic
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIhoopz14 wrote:Wasnt there previous talk of us getting a game vs Duke? Was that for this coming season or the next season? If we played Kentucky, Duke, and Maryland in the same season that would be epic
Duke is in two years (Nov-2016) as part of the Mohegan Sun Tourney.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There's no guarantee we'll play Duke in that tourney either.

Hope so, however. We should be pretty good, with most of the crowd for us.

Want to see coach K sweat......