NCAA Tournament - General Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: NCAA Tournament - General Discussion

Unread post by ace »

peeps, I know you're all worked up, but there was a smiley face and everything with that post.

Go Catamounts!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Last Saturday at Barclays Center, I was impressed with the Dayton defense, it's quickness and a speed. You have to give Dayton credit to maintain that effort given the number of games they have played in a short time span.

Having said that, I thought the Dayton fan base was smug and, frankly rude and disrespectful to the URI band and cheerleaders as they always hogged the lime light at Barclay's, so I hope for payback when we play them at Ryan next year.

As for the PC loss, put me in the delighted column.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

peeps4life wrote:i'm not proud of my team at all in any way. but the "only team still playing basketball in RI" guys are hilarious. you'd kill to be miserable today over where you are.
Agree Peeps and no shame is getting beat by Dayton - team is relentless.

4 months ago when most keaneyblue experts were ready to write Dayton off because of the discipline issues I said they were dangerous/ not to be taken lightly. I admit of course that I thought URI was better....

Now they are super dangerous!

PC had a strong year and did not lose to a cupcake last night.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I think it's hilarious that the Blojo's articles continually
refer to the late starting time, as being some unknown factor.
Ah, didn't Dayton have to play the game at that time?
Peeps is right, though.
I'd rather lose in the NCAAs than win the NIT.
Being in the NCAAs is a goal. The NIT is a consolation prize.
One thing I don't get is, with PC's huge size advantage, why so
little was attempted to establish and inside game?
They had Pollard in foul trouble and he is their only inside
defense.
Dayton's defensive intensity was amazing. Especially in light of
how many games their short roster played in a small amount of days.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Peeps is correct about which tourney URI'd rather be in.
However, to play like a listless, unimaginative, poorly coached, tuned-out, disinterested squad speaks for itself.
If I were a Fwiah-fan, Hubris is something I'd drop ASAP, reflect upon last night's debacle, start analyzing the possibility of losing close to 90% of an unreliable offense, and pray that in two years things fall its way and they can make a run in the New Big East.
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

Regarding last nights’ Coach Ed Cooley’s chair toss; I initially thought it was an overzealous call by the referee but the more I watched the replays (after muting Gottlieb’s rantings) I saw the point. Anytime, anywhere, any person affiliated with a team commits an action that can damage the court, that team should receive a technical foul. That action, be it in the heat of the moment or otherwise, is unfair and inconsiderate to all those persons playing or refereeing the game on said court. This includes a game such as PC vs. Binghamton at the DDC or a high visibility game like the Dayton vs. PC on an NCAA Tournament only court. As unlikely or not it may be, how much fun would it have been if untold viewers live in Columbus and on nationwide TV sat around while the NCAA officials scrambled to replace a gouged playing surface panel?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I don't understand why the focus is on Cooley's technical,
which did no impact on the outcome of the game.
Only 2 points, and they lost by 14.
Reading Facebook, it's just an excuse train, with nobody thinking,
they lost to a team with 6 players, none over 6'6",who played 5 games in 8 days.
This isn't us and Stanford, where bad calls at the end turned the
game around.
This was PC trailing for most of the game from almost the beginning.
The refs didn't force Henton's 7-26 shooting or Dunn's 7 turnovers.
It was a loss. A loss made worse, by trying to lessen their opponent and
the opponent's league.
Next time, hold the bravado, and show some respect for your opponent.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Ashcat wrote:Regarding last nights’ Coach Ed Cooley’s chair toss; I initially thought it was an overzealous call by the referee but the more I watched the replays (after muting Gottlieb’s rantings) I saw the point. Anytime, anywhere, any person affiliated with a team commits an action that can damage the court, that team should receive a technical foul. That action, be it in the heat of the moment or otherwise, is unfair and inconsiderate to all those persons playing or refereeing the game on said court. This includes a game such as PC vs. Binghamton at the DDC or a high visibility game like the Dayton vs. PC on an NCAA Tournament only court. As unlikely or not it may be, how much fun would it have been if untold viewers live in Columbus and on nationwide TV sat around while the NCAA officials scrambled to replace a gouged playing surface panel?

Give it a break everyone everywhere is saying it was a total joke of a call not that it had anything to do with the outcome.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It was a terrible call, but not as bad as say, the UCLA goaltending
gift, that decided the outcome of the game.
We are seeing so many putrid calls, game after game.
The refs need to realize, people aren't paying or watching to see them
turn a game into a dragged out foul fest.
Something needs to be done to let the players play.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Only a one point difference.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:It was a terrible call, but not as bad as say, the UCLA goaltending
gift, that decided the outcome of the game.
We are seeing so many putrid calls, game after game.
The refs need to realize, people aren't paying or watching to see them
turn a game into a dragged out foul fest.
Something needs to be done to let the players play.

Agree 100%
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

OK WN, then let’s have done with it and just totally disrespect the game: hurl lugies on to the court so opposing players can slip, bend the opponents hoop in the second half or simply turn the beloved game of college basketball into the WWF or even worse the NBA.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Dayton's not a good team to play if they're pissed off.
Miller should have been the coach of the year, even before last night.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

UPSET SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cincinnati 79

Kentucky 77
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

TP,

Henton doesn't do it for you? 2,000 pts and 1,000 rebounds for his career; leading scorer in the conference.

Who does "do it" for you?
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wow, I'm not a fan of Cincinnati but this game is getting chippy. Going right at Kentucky.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

seanmc94 wrote:TP,

Henton doesn't do it for you? 2,000 pts and 1,000 rebounds for his career; leading scorer in the conference.

He did it to…for…me…..
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Just when I thought sean may be jumping from the Pell bridge, he appears in his usual role as the Fuherer of the PC Thought Gestapo to correct any of our discrepancies and errant thoughts. Nicht wahr, sean baby. Nice to have you back and I hope you brought Spring.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

seanmc94 wrote:TP,

I kind of share TP's thought somewhat. When Henton is going good, he's a fun player to watch. But when it's bad, good lord, it's "cover your eyes" bad. He shot PC out of that game in the second half last night. For URI, Dustin Hellenga was that sort of player, although way less talented overall than Henton.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

went over to the pc site, and it is really a pathetic affair with many posters saying Dayton is a really bad team. Even after they lost to them. I guess then that puts them in their place. absolute f'in delusional. glad they lost. wish it was by a larger margin though so the starters for Dayton could've gotten some rest and the walkons could provide them some relief.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

bressler3south wrote:UPSET SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cincinnati 79

Kentucky 77
Well, I wasn't close!!!!!!!!!!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, The Emoticon………..
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Geez, I just got home from may granddaughter's birthday party, and
I thought Kentucky lost.
BOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Henton had a bad game, but you wouldn't want him on our
team? Seriously?
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Obadiah wrote:Just when I thought sean may be jumping from the Pell bridge, he appears in his usual role as the Fuherer of the PC Thought Gestapo to correct any of our discrepancies and errant thoughts. Nicht wahr, sean baby. Nice to have you back and I hope you brought Spring.
Obes,

I didn't correct anyone big boy. I offered an opinion, you know just like everyone else here.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Just took a peek at the Fwiah Scout Board: Talk about pathetic. "KenoCooley," "Henton" (as in a loser), "Cooley so far a recruiter not a coach," etc.,
I know that we're dysfunctionally ridiculous, and humorful, but reading that board is unpleasing to the eye and intellectually shallow.
Well, now I know what it's like to work at Langley…...
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

What makes the Friar board especially frustrating is
1) there's no way to indicate which threads have new posts (assuming you are logged into an account) and
2) no way to jump to the first unread post (a feature every decent message board has).

I'd love to be corrected on either point. Sean!??!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ATPTourFan wrote:What makes the Friar board especially frustrating is
1) there's no way to indicate which threads have new posts (assuming you are logged into an account) and
2) no way to jump to the first unread post (a feature every decent message board has).

But it's the Pee-C board! It's superior to the URI board in every way! And the Pee-C trolls will soon be here to correct you of those silly notions.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

bressler3south wrote:Just took a peek at the Fwiah Scout Board: Talk about pathetic. "KenoCooley," "Henton" (as in a loser), "Cooley so far a recruiter not a coach," etc.,
I know that we're dysfunctionally ridiculous, and humorful, but reading that board is unpleasing to the eye and intellectually shallow.
To be fair to them, people can do similar bridge-jumping after bad losses over here. It's just that they have 10 times as many users over there. It'll eventually happen over here too, as more and more people join this board as the program makes the tournament again.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

ATPTourFan wrote:What makes the Friar board especially frustrating is

1. the new format shows threads with "new" posts
2. in settings of your profile you can change it so that when you click into a thread the newest posts are on top
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:
bressler3south wrote:Just took a peek at the Fwiah Scout Board: Talk about pathetic. "KenoCooley," "Henton" (as in a loser), "Cooley so far a recruiter not a coach," etc.,
To be fair to them, people can do similar bridge-jumping after bad losses over here. It's just that they have 10 times as many users over there. It'll eventually happen over here too, as more and more people join this board as the program makes the tournament again.
They don't have 5,00 users over there. They do have a bunch of ignorant Providence area fans with no affiliation to the school posting. Most of our bridge jumping is from posters we know.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:
They don't have 5,000 users over there. They do have a bunch of ignorant Providence area fans with no affiliation to the school posting. Most of our bridge jumping is from posters we know.
They have 321 users online... right now. That bests our all-time high of 296. I'm not sure how many registered users they have over there, but my guess would be it's at least double our count of about 584. However, I don't mean to get into a pissing match here about our user base vs. their user base. Let me just say that generally, on the Internet, the more people you have congregated at a place, the more "extreme" posting behavior you have. (See the cesspool that is YouTube and ESPN.com comments.)
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I know Steve. They're still a bunch of db's.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

And another overrated Bigheaded East team goes down the dumper! Buh-bye Villanoverrated!
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Well, NBE Champ and #1 Regional Seed Villanova bites the dust……
Next down, G'town…..
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

TP right on cue, top dog in the Big East sent home early. ACC with a great showing so far in the tournament.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Who is that dwarf for Utah?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

BPR2010 wrote:TP right on cue, top dog in the Big East sent home early. ACC with a great showing so far in the tournament.
:D
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This is good. NCState comes though, big game for Abu.
Kid is relentless.
Villanova, the flagship of NBE sunk.
Georgetown in a struggle with Utah, late.
If ND takes down Butler, it will start looking like last year,
for the almighty NBE.
Only Xavier lives on, if that happens.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The only thing keeping the BE in the conversation with the A10 is that they broke the bank to steal Xavier and Butler.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You can scratch Georgetown from the list too.

It's funny that the only 2 left now, came from the A10.

I thought Villanova was a little overrated as a 1 seed, but I didn't think they would lose in the round of 32.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

That's all they've ever been able to do. They stole Villanoverrated, Pitt, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Rutgers . . .
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Hoya Sucksa…...
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The Utes did in the has been Georgetown program.
PC-dead
Georgetown-dead
St. John's-dead
Villanova-dead
Butler, next?
peeps4life
Kenny Green

hoyas had no business as a 4 seed. should have been a 7.

don't try claiming butler as a10. in year 2 they are already more NBE than they were a10.

said on our board that nova was prime to choke in the tournament. they can shoot cold as ice and they grab constantly which they get away with in conference but hardly ever in the tourney.

i'd rather be ncaa dead than purgatory. but i'm still bitter and angry at the suckitude.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The New Catholic Big East is certainly not helping to quiet its detractors that thought it was over-rated. At the very least, it has shown that it was over-valued by the committee with its team's seedings. The league has failed to beat a better seed in its only opportunity thus far and three of its teams have been eliminated by worse seeds. While Xavier has moved on to the Sweet 16, it is worth noting it was helped out enormously by the surprising upset exit of Baylor at the hands of Ga State. #6 Butler can still advance if it were to upset #3 Notre Dame tonight. Otherwise, only one of six teams that made the tournament from the league moves on and does so because its bracket gets busted.

#9 St. John's loses to #8 San Diego State
#6 Providence loses to #11 Dayton
#1 Villanova loses to #8 NC State
#4 Georgetown loses to #5 Utah
peeps4life
Kenny Green

legit question... is the a10 going to help your cause next year with strength?
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The difference between the nbe and the A-10 is a TV contract.....their 2 year history in getting teams to the NCAAS is very similar...but the committee overrated the nbe teams giving them easier first games
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
peeps4life
Kenny Green

A10 is averaging 50% of league participation in NCAA?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
ramster wrote:Rhody the only D1 school in New England still playing.

PC, Northeastern and Harvard all lost 1st round NCAA
UCONN out of NIT
Up to the URI Rhody Rams to carry the banner :-)
Rhody is not alone. Vermont is still alive playing in the CBI.
I don't count the CBI or the CIT - those are Baron tournaments.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

9 teams for the two leagues...
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Pac10 is undefeated, so far.
Could be a big night for the ACC, depending on
the two ongoing games.