Jarvis Garrett Our PG

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Mongo
ARD

Jarvis Garrett Our PG

Unread post by Mongo »

Jarvis's coming out party started a bit ago, but he was amazing last night. His shot looks like what we knew it would become, and his court vision is something we haven't seen here in a very long time. 10 assists to 1 TO are you kidding me!! He has become our team assist leader and has a 2.1 to 1 assist/TO ratio. I believe we will be an excellent team next year and Jarvis will be the difference between being a very good team vs being a top 25 caliber, A10 champs,plus a run in the NCAA's type team. I was so happy to see how he has developed. I am so happy he is our PG for the next 3 years. BTW, Jarvis, keep listening to that classical music before games, it's working. :D
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Jarvis Garrett Our PG

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good call giving this fine freshman PG his own thread of praise. I'm very excited about our future with Jarvis and Dan Hurley.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Agreed. Jarvis definitely needs his own thread.

One other observation...

It seems like we always have to wait for our PGs to develop into solid contributors by their junior/senior years. With Jarvis, it's happened in about half a season. He's a joy to watch and he's only getting better. Sky is the limit for this kid...
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed, while we still need another piece or two - it cant be understated how much of an improvement we will get just from the improvement in the guys we have, especially Jarvis and Jared. I would expect them both to look like different players this year, they had great FR years but still had plenty of times when they looked their age. That all goes away next year.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This team will rise and fall with Jarvis. A good PG is the difference between a lot of wins and losses.

Now that his shot is coming into it's own - no one will be able to give him space when they know he can just spot up and shoot. That will affect how teams have to guard us. With EC and Jared developing next year, and becoming more prolific shooters - I'll expect a lot more man to man - and I'll take Jarvis, Jared, EC, Iverson, and Hass one on one with anybody in the league.

Welcome to the golden age!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I've loved Jarvis' game even when he wasn't shooting well .... thrilled to have him.
Slava Ukraini!
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Frank_Keaney_95 wrote:Agreed. Jarvis definitely needs his own thread.

One other observation...

It seems like we always have to wait for our PGs to develop into solid contributors by their junior/senior years. With Jarvis, it's happened in about half a season. He's a joy to watch and he's only getting better. Sky is the limit for this kid...

Totally agree FK 95... Point Guards are notorious for later development. I think Coach Hurley's comments after the Iona win is part of the reason for his excelled development. We have been playing very "significant" games for the past 18 games trying to win the A10. Let's FINISH with a NIT title this year.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jarvis and Jared also very good leader types, 2 good leaders going forward. When these two are senior co-captains, the combination of talent and leadership in both of them will be something special.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Is he the quickest player with the ball we've had? Sometimes it looks like he's quicker than Tyson Wheeler. Discuss.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Is he the quickest player with the ball we've had? Sometimes it looks like he's quicker than Tyson Wheeler. Discuss.
When he breaks out of the pack in the backcourt and heads up court, you're right, he's lightning quick. That's why I can't wait until we become more of a running offensive team. He's the perfect guy to be in the middle.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Silk Owens, better than anyone else we've ever had at PG.
Quicker, faster, and tougher than anyone before or since.
A playground legend in NYC, who played with a bullet in his arm.
Jarvis will be the best since Wheeler, at least.
When he's attacking in the open floor, he's at his best.
Can take it right to the hoop and not lose vision.
Very gifted and special player.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

By the time he's done, I'm certain he'll fit in with Jiggy, Silk, Tyson and the other great PGs we've had.
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

What I reaaly like and commented on earlier in the season. He has blow by speed on his defender on the bounce changing hands an direction....he/ll be leaving opponents jocks all over the A-10 floors....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

His 3 point and FT shooting has improved tremendously over the past month which will make him an even more dangerous player.

We need a good backup to him so the drop-off is nonexistent and so we can have 2 good PGs on the floor to break HAVOC effectively.
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It was odd to see him with a size advantage over Casmir, last night.
I just watch him develop, and remember how excited Preston was about him.
He had a good shot, and averaged 24.7 ppg in a tough prep league.
It's all about confidence and adjusting to college ball.
Terrell and Garrett are pretty close on this team, and our backcourt
for the next few years will be in the best of hands.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rodfromcranston wrote:It was odd to see him with a size advantage over Casmir, last night.
I just watch him develop, and remember how excited Preston was about him.
He had a good shot, and averaged 24.7 ppg in a tough prep league.
It's all about confidence and adjusting to college ball.
Terrell and Garrett are pretty close on this team, and our backcourt
for the next few years will be in the best of hands.
These next 2 to 3 years are going to be special!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Not only did he average 24 a game, he scored in the 40s several times. He won't have to score like that, but I can see him averaging 12-13 a game, but also getting his assists in the 6-7 range, while playing smothering defense all over the floor.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

If Jarvis can average a stat line that has 10-12 points, 5-7 assists, and 0-2 TO's - that's one hell of a PG. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Certainly doesn't look that unattainable for him.

Compare Tyson's freshman year stats to Jarvis' last 12 games as a starter:

Tyson: 13.2 ppg 5.0 ast 4.5 to

Jarvis: 9.5 ppg 3.9 ast 1.5 to

Tyson's senior year had 14.9 ppg, 6.0 ast, and there's no number for TO's for whatever reason but he went from 4.5 to 3.4 to 2.9 - so let's call him cutting it down to 2. You'll win a lot of games with a PG like that.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Blue Man.....do you have Tyson's minutes per game and who got the bulk of the PG minutes when he was off the floor ?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I was going to post everything just said when I came home today. You all beat me to it.
I was watching him closely last night. I always tend to focus on the little guys in all sports. Why should the big guys get all the fun?
I noticed a few things over the past week about Jarvis. First, he seems to be shooting less and making more of them.
he also is as tough as they come. On one drive last night, he went right at their big, knowing he was going to get nailed, and never flinched.
He also seems to be taking over the offense. He's not just out there waiting for the ball. And, he's not intimidated by the bright lights of tournament play.
JT also impressed me last night.

As much as we aren't overly thrilled with being in this tournament, I think it is where we belong this year. Jarvis is getting the most out of this tournament and making a statement.
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Tyson was pretty much a one man show his freshman season. I would bet that a lot of his turnovers were the result of guys that could not keep up with him.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I remember many of Tyson's passes clanging off teammate's hands or their heads.....when his surrounding cast got accustomed to him the better the team flowed.......BTW Tyson was in attendance at last night's game.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jarvis naturally shows some of the inconsistencies of a freshmen, but the upward trend of his development has been fun to watch. His offense is coming into its own. He's an older freshmen and had the benefit of playing in a good league with his prep team, but he's talked about his adjustment, especially with his shot. The game is faster and the players bigger, and he got a little preoccupied with his shot getting blocked, which caused him to rush things.

Plus, like the good point guard he is, he doesn't miss a chance to credit his teammates when he can. From Koch's game notes, when asked about his success:

“It’s my teammates,” Garrett said. “They keep me well grounded. They’re always talking to me and telling me to keep my head straight and focus on winning.”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Silk averaged 13.5 ppg as a freshman, then went 15.8, 18.7 and 21.8.
Oh, and Silk shot 85.2% from the line in his senior season.
He was second all time in assists, to Tyson, but Silk was always the
prime weapon for us, every single year.
In the 1987-88 he and Garrick averaged 10 steals a game, and URI
forced and average of 20 turnovers a game, while the team averaged
87 ppg. You can play defense and still have a terrific offense.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Garrick was tough too. He almost ended up playing football at URI.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Garrick and Terrell have a little in common.
Tommy began as a defensive type player.
Big strong kid, and a SG, like Jared.
Tommy was an under recruited local kid, so
that's dissimilar, for sure.
Garrick became a 20 ppg scorer by his senior season.
I doubt Terrell will reach that kind of a number, because of today's game.
However, if he can bring his offense along as well as Garrick did,
look out!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

After watching two of the tournament games from 88. Owens and Garrick were ridiculous. They just darted up the court and nailed like every shot they took. Drove around people, scored. I guess they weren't quite big enough to really roll in the NBA.

Jarvis is crazy fast though. I will cry out a few holy shits watching him go 0 to 60 in 2.2 seconds, one end of the court to the other. He's as athletic as anyone. He'll be fantastic. When he can get to the point where he can go score whenever he wants, we will kill.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Garrick played 4 years in the NBA, as a second round
draft pick.
Averaged 7.0 for the LA Clippers in one of those years.
He wasn't a complete bust, by any means.
Silk was listed at 6', but he weighed like 160lbs.

Jarvis may wind up being the most important player on the team
some day.
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Probably the single biggest reason I'm excited for this program. His jumper has been on point these last few games. I see him and Terrell on campus together on a daily basis. Those two seem to be the type of guys that other players see and want to play with.
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

garrett has such a bright future in this program... im excited what the rest of this NIT and next season will bring
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

860_rhody wrote:Probably the single biggest reason I'm excited for this program. His jumper has been on point these last few games. I see him and Terrell on campus together on a daily basis. Those two seem to be the type of guys that other players see and want to play with.
And they saw EC and Hassan and the opportunities and attention they got. It's nice to see recruiting playing out the way it's supposed to- getting guys because of the whole picture (program success, coaches, talent development, etc.) and not just because of a good coaching staff and some promises of what could be.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You would think a good young PG will also be a boost for recruiting, for scorers looking to play with a good assist guy. Maybe even a scoring big?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

yes. a big. where is the big???
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Silk sat behind me at Barclays, as did Stan Wright. Both URI legends. My first good memories are of the 87-88 team, Silk was a maestro. Classic NYC point guard, tough, resourceful and with the skills to play with anyone. Tyson wasnt necessarily the quickest PG, but he was shifty, had the ball on a rope, was an excellent passer and you had to play him tight because he would knock a 3 in your eye. They both had better FR years than Jarvis, but both of their FR teams were awful and I believe they started from Day 1.

Confidence and speed of game have huge effect on PGs, I expect a big jump for Jarvis next season. These stats seem reasonable next year for the Core 4

EC - 18 ppg
Hassan - 14 ppg
Jared - 12 ppg
Jarvis - 10 ppg
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Silk sat behind me at Barclays, as did Stan Wright. Both URI legends. My first good memories are of the 87-88 team, Silk was a maestro. Classic NYC point guard, tough, resourceful and with the skills to play with anyone. Tyson wasnt necessarily the quickest PG, but he was shifty, had the ball on a rope, was an excellent passer and you had to play him tight because he would knock a 3 in your eye. They both had better FR years than Jarvis, but both of their FR teams were awful and I believe they started from Day 1.

Confidence and speed of game have huge effect on PGs, I expect a big jump for Jarvis next season. These stats seem reasonable next year for the Core 4

EC - 18 ppg
Hassan - 14 ppg
Jared - 12 ppg
Jarvis - 10 ppg
I wonder how much Iverson averages. Could we have 5 players averaging double figures?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

BAR, if they do that, we will be one serious team.

One other thing that could be a boon to recruiting: Dan talking about being more of a uptempo team. We will have the athletes, just need more depth.

I think Iverson is going to be the real deal. I can see him getting 10 a game too.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dan shutting down coaching rumors helps more. He's always done it privately before, like when those Rutgers rumors were out there. More than one team used the "Hurley to anywhere ASAP" to try to sway a player. It's all part of the game.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Silk sat behind me at Barclays, as did Stan Wright. Both URI legends. My first good memories are of the 87-88 team, Silk was a maestro. Classic NYC point guard, tough, resourceful and with the skills to play with anyone. Tyson wasnt necessarily the quickest PG, but he was shifty, had the ball on a rope, was an excellent passer and you had to play him tight because he would knock a 3 in your eye. They both had better FR years than Jarvis, but both of their FR teams were awful and I believe they started from Day 1.

EC - 18 ppg
Hassan - 14 ppg
Jared - 12 ppg
Jarvis - 10 ppg
I wonder how much Iverson averages. Could we have 5 players averaging double figures?
At first, my inclination was that it would be really tough. But then again, Hurley typically plays a short bench, and Terrell will get into 10 PPG next year once you factor in even a smidge of development, with increased playing time. Garrett is around 6.4 PPG (but improving), and Iverson is seemingly the unknown in this. Unless Butler or Minnis take more minutes than expected, Iverson is probably in line to take the 22 MPG that Buchanan is getting now. TJ is mostly a "hustle points" kind of guy, and he's averaging 5.9, suggesting that Iverson could get to 10 PPG if he's as good as advertised immediately.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hurley's played a short bench more by circumstance than design, I think. The closest he's come to having all the pieces to do what he wants was the 11-12 Wagner team, and they had 10 guys average double digit minutes and scored 73/game. I don't know if the minutes get that high again given the conference, but it could be close depending on how players develop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

All of that, plus probably 2 more recruits coming in, 1 a big man.

We will go 8, 9, maybe even 10 deep with quality.

Our core four will average about 30 minutes a game I would think.

If Iverson gets 20 a game, that doesn't leave a whole lot left.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I think great teams go 8 deep at most when it comes to end of season, post season. Injuries, foul trouble, that can alter rotations...but to me you need continuity and chemistry and that increases with every minute guys play together. You dilute that with a 10 man rotation IMO. Unless you are Kentucky.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I really like the 30 second shot clock. More possessions means more points especially with a point guard like JG. Hurley is talking about more of an uptempo offense next year which should also mean more points. The new clock will also help our defense since the new clock will put more pressure on the opposing offense.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Deep bench works for VCU. It worked for that Wagner team. I think it has more to do with the specific players involved. It obviously isn't a philosophy Hurley will impose on a team who doesn't have the right personnel for it.

30 second shot clock should just become a thing immediately. Do it, NCAA.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ace wrote:Deep bench works for VCU. It worked for that Wagner team. I think it has more to do with the specific players involved. It obviously isn't a philosophy Hurley will impose on a team who doesn't have the right personnel for it.

30 second shot clock should just become a thing immediately. Do it, NCAA.
Agree. No real reason for 35 vs. 30. Heck, I'd say for them to just go to 24 to be in compliance with the NBA, NBADL, WNBA and FIBA.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You cant run offense with a 24 second clock. The NBA game is a one-on-one game and completely different, if that is what you want to turn college basketball into then ok.
Teams will use 2-2-1 zone defenses full court make you take 8-10 to get it over and leave no time for offense. It will just be sloppy one on one basketball for all but the most elite schools.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote:Garrick was tough too. He almost ended up playing football at URI.
I lived in California and went down to see a Clipper practice when Garrick was drafter. I had the opportunity to ask Gene Shue, the coach at the time about Garrick and I remember his comment was that he was big enough and tough enough......He did play point guard for LA and San Antonio.

I see a lot of similarities between him and Terrell. Both big and strong,(although Garrick was about 200, not 225) both very good defensive players, both very good team players. Both had and have good basketball sense.

As a tidbit, I believe that Tyson's career is listed in the NBA records, He did play one game for Denver.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Garrick was tough too. He almost ended up playing football at URI.
I lived in California and went down to see a Clipper practice when Garrick was drafter. I had the opportunity to ask Gene Shue, the coach at the time about Garrick and I remember his comment was that he was big enough and tough enough......He did play point guard for LA and San Antonio.

I see a lot of similarities between him and Terrell. Both big and strong,(although Garrick was about 200, not 225) both very good defensive players, both very good team players. Both had and have good basketball sense.

As a tidbit, I believe that Tyson's career is listed in the NBA records, He did play one game for Denver.
Tyson did play in one NBA game. Garrick wanted to got o PC, but they didn't want him. HAHAHA!!! He did quite nicely as a Ram!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Let me tell you. IF Iverson is as advertised and reforms and knocks off
the rust, he's the most talented guy on the team, by a lot.
Big IF, but guys like that, with his enormous skill set, are worth a lot more than 10 ppg.
Also, that 7 foot wingspan will come in handy on defense.
As for playing 11-12 guys, besides this stunt Calipari is doing
this year, name me one other big time coach playing most of his roster.
You can't possibly have offensive chemistry and continuity yo-yoing
players in and out of the game.
There also can't be good defensive communication, when there's someone
different playing next to a guy every few minutes.
You can't reinvent the wheel, and playing 12 players is trying to do just that.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Who said anything about playing 11 or 12 deep?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, 10 guys. Same thing. None of the big name coaches
outside of Cal this year, plays 10 guys for double digit minutes.
Cal can do it with the type of talent he has.