Game #26: Davidson - Wednesday @ 7pm - PINK OUT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #26: Davidson - Wednesday @ 7pm - PINK OUT

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote:SAME exact way we lost to Richmond, at home, during the Pink Out, in the 2009/2010 season. Keith Cothran missed a WIDE open 3, in the same spot, which would have won the game.
Similar in so many ways. The crowd at that Richmond game may have been our best crowd ever, and last night's wasn't far behind. Neither were a sellout. Ironically, unlike the Richmond game, the Davidson game wasn't played in a blizzard.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

there has been much discussion about our 3-pt shooting,as it continues to be poor.rod mentioned that he thought the ryan center rims were tight.

I investigated how we shot 3's at home,[comfy atmosphere] versus 3's on the road. i also tabulated our opponents 3 pt average at the ryan center.

uri at home 48 for 211 22% uri on road 65 for 173 37%
opponents 40 for 186 21,5%

there is a significant difference;we should be better at home , rod's theory is right
we should limit our 3's at home
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

kal-65 wrote:there has been much discussion about our 3-pt shooting,as it continues to be poor.rod mentioned that he thought the ryan center rims were tight.

I investigated how we shot 3's at home,[comfy atmosphere] versus 3's on the road. i also tabulated our opponents 3 pt average at the ryan center.

there is a significant difference;we should be better at home , rod's theory is right
That's an astounding difference.

Did you check and see what FT shooting looks like home/away?

I don't think this applied last night, since most of our shots were BAD bricks way off the mark. But how many times have we watched balls go down and out from deep this year?

We do always say that we never get the bounces either.

Interesting stuff.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Thanks, kai65!
That is a huge difference. You would assume they'd be more
comfortable at home.
Clearly not the case. Again, if the rims are purposely tight,
then we should be going inside all night at home.
If it's not done on purpose, loosen them a bit.
No more coach's shows except for the one at George's.
If anyone's going to that, ask Dan about the rims.
A 15% difference is nothing to dismiss.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

FT splits are as follows. Virtually the same.

Home:252/386 65.3%
Away/Neutral:167/257 65%
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

I'm telling you guys, it was the shirts...
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think 3point shooting has been this way at the RC for the length of it.

We have had great defense of the 3point line for years. I remember Baron's teams playing crap defense but people talking about how we defended the 3point line.

I think it is actually weird that we shoot so bad. Play in any gym and there is a guy that would be knocking down shots. Our top echelon A10 team doesnt have a few of those guys?

Jarvis was just swinging the ball back and forth at the top of the key with the 2 guards at the top of the zone not looking at him(Thats why the freethrow entry pass was so easy).
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

ALSO GIL!!!!! HE needs to be galvanized. Step up!! He is on his way out the door and needs to show his game. Soft touch! Rebound!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, so why is there a 15% increase on the road?
And CFL's teams always gave up 3's.
I feel bad about Gilvydas. This is his last hurrah.
I hope he does something to make some good memories
to take with him, of his time here.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote: Oh, the wonderful A-10 board barely mentioned our game.

It's like that about every URI game. You would think Rhody wasn't even in the A-10 let alone tied for first place reading that board. The only time URI seems to get discussed is in posts where Dan Hurley is trashed by opponents fans.

The treatment on that board is however unfortunately not all that different than how the league and its media members treat URI. Rhody is pretty much an afterthought by all of them. We are the ugly step child located far away that they don't like to discuss.

In my opinion the A-10 really doesn't help URI out that much and doesn't seem to really care about Rhody. We are just another school on the schedule to fill up games for the more favored members.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

A big part of that is because most URI fans that want to discuss URI online come here to do it, so there isn't a big presence of Rhody fans on the A10 board. Personally, I've never been to the A10 board. There is only so much time in the day.
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

Interesting quote from Mckillop in the CBS Sports article...

"This is as electiric an atmosphere I've seen in many, many years."
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ramsman75 wrote:Interesting quote from Mckillop in the CBS Sports article...

liked this one too

"The Ryan Center, one of the better gyms you don't hear enough about"
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

We lost the game because:

No call on the Terrell foul just before halftime.
Sleeves
Hass missing his FTs
Rims
Biggie missing his FTs
Pink collars.
Jared missing his FTs
Jared missing the three.
Hurley missing his FTs.
Bad call on last play.
Lucky 3 point play from a lousy Davidson player.
Lucky 3 from a lousy Davidson player.
Not our Night.

Davidson Played better.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:A big part of that is because most URI fans that want to discuss URI online come here to do it, so there isn't a big presence of Rhody fans on the A10 board. Personally, I've never been to the A10 board. There is only so much time in the day.
All the A-10 schools have their own boards (independent of the A-10 Board) just as URI does. Those other schools' fans post on both boards. Not all of their posts on the a-10 board concern their favored team.

I used to post on the A-10 Board and have been reading it for many years. It however has really gone downhill in the last year in my opinion. It is now dominated by a few opinionated high volume posters that have ruined it in my view. I think URI gets scant mention being a geographic outlier. The fact that URI, unlike most A-10 members, is a public university probably does not help matters. It is not all that different for UMass on that board as well for the same reasons.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:A big part of that is because most URI fans that want to discuss URI online come here to do it, so there isn't a big presence of Rhody fans on the A10 board. Personally, I've never been to the A10 board. There is only so much time in the day.
All the A-10 schools have their own boards (independent of the A-10 Board) just as URI does. Those other schools' fans post on both boards. Not all of their posts on the a-10 board concern their favored team.

I used to post on the A-10 Board and have been reading it for many years. It however has really gone downhill in the last year in my opinion. It is now dominated by a few opinionated high volume posters that have ruined it in my view. I think URI gets scant mention being a geographic outlier. The fact that URI, unlike most A-10 members, is a public university probably does not help matters. It is not all that different for UMass on that board as well for the same reasons.
I can't speak to the quality of other individual teams' boards, or the prevalence of posters who post on multiple boards. I don't get how anyone could have time to do that, but more power to them if they do. Bottom line is that everyone that posts on an A10 board is a fan of one of the schools, and I'm sure if more URI fans cared enough to post on that board, more of the discussion would involve URI. The opinions of other teams' fans have never interested me, so I've never gone looking for them - on an A10 board, a PC board, a UMass board, or any other kind of board.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, TP, we're all not you.
Some of us have a sense of curiosity to see how we
are perceived elsewhere, especially now.
Funny how we've seen other schools' message board
sites posted on this site, for that very reason.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

People can do whatever they want. I've always said that I don't care, whether it was people complaining about what was said on the PC board or the A10 board or whatever. I'm just saying, I don't care. I'm not telling anyone else whether they should care or not. I do think if you feel URI doesn't get enough mention on the A10 board, signing into that board and talking about URI there would do more to address that than complaining about it here.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Fear not--starting next year our team and The Ryan Center will get plenty of notoriety. There is a chance the team will get more before this season is over.
Also, against a zone next year I can see Iverson at the foul line hopefully being able to make a 13-15 footer but certainly being able to make some great passes since he will be able to see over and pass over the defenders being 6'9". Also hoping he will be able to take it the hoop. I do not intend to denigrate TJ's play at the foul line but I see much better options with someone like Iverson.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Can our fans stop saying the last play was a bad call....our PG got to the paint drew 3 defenders and hit one of our better players who was WIDE OPEN for a shot. STOP SAYING THE LAST PLAY WAS BAD. If we gave it to EC to be swarmed by 3 guys and force up a contested shot you would have a point. That was a great look to win the game. The highest rated recruit we have had since Lamar had a wide open shot to win the game. he missed, it happens.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, that 15% difference is amazing.

I will ask Dan about it at George's, unless someone beats me to it.

That's way more then just a coincidence. Of course, our opponents are just as bad.

I'll also talk to him about maybe taking less 3's at home. I'm not the coach, but it's obvious it's not working.

You would think he [Dan] knows about that stat, but there is a possibility he doesn't. If he did, you might think he would have the team shoot them less at the RC, and let the opponents figure it out.

19 3's attempted last night, with nobody making anything, and an inside game that was working. Made no sense.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I haven't read every post game post. There are a lot of them. I agree with most of what i have read.
I haven't seen much about what bothered me the most. Clock management by Dan (he owns that as the coach). TJ rebounds the ball with 1:08 to go. They start to bring it up as Terrell crosses half court EC is over half court open on the bench side of the court. The Davidson coach looks at the clock and starts yelling to foul. Instead of passing the ball to your best FT shooter who is open, Terrell continues to dribble towards the basket. Dan should have immediately called a TIME OUT! He owns time mgt for his team. The Davidson coach knew his team needed two possessions and couldn't let Rhody run off 35 seconds (it would've left 33 seconds). Why didn't Dan know?

Why didn't Rhody call a TO and get the ball to EC so he would go to the foul line?

I love Dan Hurley as our coach. I hope he coaches Rhody for life.
He does need to improve his end of game coaching.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Makes sense. We should have run clock there yes. That was mentioned by someone.

Instead, we quickly go inside to Hass who is fouled attempting a layup.

If that ball goes in, it's ballgame. Even if Hass misses the 1 FT, we're still up 6.

Instead, he misses both FT's.

So many second guesses, but that is a big one, agreed.

Dan does have some issues with game/clock management at times. I think he knows he needs to improve in that area.

With Hassan's FT issues, it might be a good idea to keep the ball out of his hands with a lead, and the opponent needing to foul.

They have done it before. Just everything that could go wrong did last night.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I can handle execution issues (missing FTs) more than I can coaching mistakes and players doing the wrong thing. Why didn't Terrell know never to foul when you are up 4 points with less than a minute to go? That has to be coached so they know what to do under pressure late.

We ran 8 seconds off the clock (1:08 to 1:00) before Davidson fouled our worst FT shooter on the floor.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Dan said that Terrell made a huge mistake on that foul. He can't do that, or something like that.

He also made what turned out to be an aggressive mistake passing the ball to Hass instead of just keeping the ball or giving it to EC, our best FT shooter.

Those are definitely mental mistakes that freshman make.

He will learn from them. Last night, he learned the hard way. It's just so tough to lose a big game like that.

Live and die with the freshmen. They giveth, and taketh away.

Dan has no choice but to play them in big spots like that. What's on our bench?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It wasn't Terrell's fault he went dowm low to Hass. It was Dan's for letting it happen. He coaches the offense and has 5 time outs to use.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

83, sometimes we just can't win, no matter what happens.

There has been criticism in the past, for sitting on the ball, and now Dan is getting it for not running clock or having our best FT shooters handle it.

In this case though, you're right, I didn't know McKillop was calling for them to foul us at that moment.

Bad judgement by the freshman, and maybe Dan's fault for not getting Terrell the right instructions.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Come on guys--he missed what was not a difficult lay up as the ball just rolled off the rim like many other shots last night. If he makes the shot or at least 1 free throw nobody would be talking about this. We made a ferocious comeback and lost the game by 1 point after 1 for 19 on 3's and 16 for 32 on free throws. It was a miracle we were even in the game.............
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I'll add this to the above list.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We should call last night's game, the Rims Of Stone.

The kids were probably traumatized by it all.

Let's hope they put it behind them, and starting tomorrow I will too.

Got to look forward to Saturday, and forget that nightmare.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I like our chances if we get to play them again in Brooklyn. The defense we put on them in the final 20 minutes was nothing short of remarkable. Look at their stats, no one has done that to them all year. Not even UVa, who most believe play the best defense in the country.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we had shot 75% from the line, which we've averaged our last 4 games before last night, we would have won easily.

I wouldn't expect to hold them to 22 points in a half next time out, but more like 30 points each half.

Same total as they got last night. We should have scored at least 70, even with the horrid 3 pt. shooting.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We shot 30% from the field, 3% from 3pt and 48% from FT line and lost by 1 on a step back three pointer. I will take my chances with them again.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You don't keep getting more chances. We don't get that game back. It was a must win at home. We needed the quality win and didn't get it. Home court was a huge advantage in the 2nd half last night that will not be there in Brooklyn. We still haven't beat a top 4 A10 team and played both of those games at home.

Several earlier post noted that our offense took a big step back last night. Is our offense the one we saw in the first half of the year (and last night) or the one that started to score high 60s to 70s recently?

I love this team but we haven't had a big win yet. We all thought Nebraska was a big win but they turned out differently. We might have thought GW was a big win but they quickly showed otherwise. UMass same thing.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, I went to the WBB Pinkout tonight.
Kids were free, and a decent crowd.
Most of our guys were there in the front row.
I paid attention to the rims, because I was at
floor level.
Unless the shot is dead on, those things are unforgiving.
It's on deep shots and foul shots, too.
If we had Wilt Chamberlain, we'd be all set. Just jam the ball,
and we'd be fine.
It's so odd to have a 15% difference away from home,
in less familiar venues.
It's not looking for excuses, when you see that number.
My question is, are the rims deliberately tight to help the defense?
Teams do tailor the rims to suit their personnel.
Duke has notoriously soft rims, to better serve their 3 point game.
This is all interesting and puzzling at the same time.

I applaud the last play. When you get a clean look and it doesn't go,
that's part of the game. You have a 50% chance at best of hitting the shot,
if you're Doug McDermott.
Terrell is a 30 something percent 3 point shooter, so he has a 30% chance of making it.
Stop crying about it. We lost.
As I've said many times....our offense is not going to appreciably improve. This isn't MLB and we can make a trade deadline addition.
It is what it is. You can't make non shooters into shooters in most cases.
You can't make your freshmen back court into juniors or seniors. They are works in progress.
We've won a vast majority of our games, and we have a puncher's chance
in Brooklyn. Be happy with the season and look to the future.
We add at least two more weapons next year, to our core four.
Look out world!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He's a thirty percent shooter overall, but there is a difference between contested shots, shots taken off the bounce or otherwise under duress and wide open, uncontested spot-up looks. He will make that much more than his overall season percentage. In 2015, that is about as good of a shot as you're going to get unless it is a layup.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

kal-65 wrote:there has been much discussion about our 3-pt shooting,as it continues to be poor.rod mentioned that he thought the ryan center rims were tight.

Basketball State, which I believe is run by the guy who used to do The Mid-Majority Report, does have home-and-away shooting splits for teams: http://www.bbstate.com/stats/team/ThreePct/Home - You need to pay $12 for the yearly membership to get full access, but it does have a lot of unique data there.

URI is shooting 23.9 percent at home this year, according to their stats, which is 350th out of 351 teams. URI is 100th, at 35.6 percent, on the road. Last year, it was 29.1 percent on the road, and 32.6 percent at home. In 2012-13, it was 33.9 percent at home, and 30.7 percent on the road. The sample size for this year is still only 14 and 9 for home/away, so it wouldn't surprise me if the gulf narrowed - positively or negatively - as the season finished.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

bigappleram wrote:Can our fans stop saying the last play was a bad call....our PG got to the paint drew 3 defenders and hit one of our better players who was WIDE OPEN for a shot. STOP SAYING THE LAST PLAY WAS BAD. If we gave it to EC to be swarmed by 3 guys and force up a contested shot you would have a point. That was a great look to win the game. The highest rated recruit we have had since Lamar had a wide open shot to win the game. he missed, it happens.
I agree with this. Great that we have s PG who can make this play. I also agree with Dan: Terrell had a better chance of scoring if he drove into the lane. But last shots, even good ones, don't always go in.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
ramsman75 wrote:Interesting quote from Mckillop in the CBS Sports article...

liked this one too

"The Ryan Center, one of the better gyms you don't hear enough about"
The nation will know all about it next year...
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Ryan Center 2014-15:

Where 3 pointers go to die.

Do. Not. Attempt.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Hahha should have a sign like at the beach that says "shoot at your own risk."
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Reading through this thread there is alot of talk about the rims at the Ryan Center and how tight they are or unforgiving or whatever the case might be ,but why does it only seem to affect the Rams and not our opponents ability to make crucial FT's or 3 pointers?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Shinze88 wrote:Reading through this thread there is alot of talk about the rims at the Ryan Center and how tight they are or unforgiving or whatever the case might be ,but why does it only seem to affect the Rams and not our opponents ability to make crucial FT's or 3 pointers?
Other teams have better shooters than we do. Tight rims are more forgiving for shooters with a softer touch.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our opponents tend to hit all net where the rims don't matter.

I can't remember the last time a URI team made a very late 3 to win a game.

Hopefully that will change sooner then later.

As for key FT's, we need either EC or TJ shooting them. Everybody else on the team is a crapshoot.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Shinze, the truth is, opponents shoot even worse from 3
than we do at The Ryan Center:
Opponents 40 for 186, 21.5%
Absolutely horrid shooting, great defense or a combination
of both.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Highlights from the game:
http://www.coxhub.com/articles/davidson ... ry-25-2015

Hurley and Hass Postgame Presser:
http://www.coxhub.com/articles/hurley-r ... he-outcome

Full On-Demand replay (at least for watching until 1min left):
http://www.coxhub.com/uri-mens-basketba ... 015-replay
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

rodfromcranston wrote: I applaud the last play. When you get a clean look and it doesn't go,
that's part of the game. You have a 50% chance at best of hitting the shot,
if you're Doug McDermott.
Terrell is a 30 something percent 3 point shooter, so he has a 30% chance of making it.
Stop crying about it. We lost.
As I've said many times....our offense is not going to appreciably improve. This isn't MLB and we can make a trade deadline addition.
It is what it is. You can't make non shooters into shooters in most cases.
You can't make your freshmen back court into juniors or seniors. They are works in progress.
We've won a vast majority of our games, and we have a puncher's chance
in Brooklyn
. Be happy with the season and look to the future.
We add at least two more weapons next year, to our core four.
Look out world!
Agree with everything you said except the part in bold.

I would be shitting my pants if I were another team and saw URI on my side of the bracket in Brooklyn.

Offense comes and goes, even the most consistent teams will have an off night shooting the ball. When you play defense like we do, you are always in the game.

It took a biblical disaster type of offensive game for us, for the best offensive team in our conference to beat us by one point.

If we play an average, below average, poor, or very poor offensive game - we can beat ANYONE in this league.

I'm not scared of shit. Let's lock up a top seed, and run through Brooklyn.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Where did I write I 'd be scared by any other team in Brooklyn?
If you think winning three games in a weekend is going to be
a walk in the park, fine.
We can beat anyone, but we need to beat three progressively tough
opponents to win it all.
I think the odds are against it, in reality.
Hence, "a puncher's chance".
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Shinze88 wrote:Reading through this thread there is alot of talk about the rims at the Ryan Center and how tight they are or unforgiving or whatever the case might be ,but why does it only seem to affect the Rams and not our opponents ability to make crucial FT's or 3 pointers?
Other teams have better shooters than we do. Tight rims are more forgiving for shooters with a softer touch.

I think we adjust the rims at half time, too. The NFL is investigating.

I know I'm in the minority (or all alone), but I actually like these uniforms. Just replace the pink trim with white or gold.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

rodfromcranston wrote:Where did I write I 'd be scared by any other team in Brooklyn?
If you think winning three games in a weekend is going to be
a walk in the park, fine.
We can beat anyone, but we need to beat three progressively tough
opponents to win it all.
I think the odds are against it, in reality.
Hence, "a puncher's chance".
I'm jacked up. I agree it'll be a fight. Certainly not easy.

I always take punchers chance as an underdog who just has the ability to drop a big blow and shock the world. I just don't see us as underdogs that need one lucky shot to win. I think this whole season has been a crescendo to what will be a very memorable tourney for us.

I think anyone who really follows the A10 this year, or has seen us play, will be hoping to be on the other side of the bracket from us. We won't be the #1 seed, but I think we've evolved in this conference from the "scrappy underdog" that we were at the beginning of A10 play.

Just a difference of comparisons I guess :-D

Give to Rhody's NIL