BubbleWatch and Top 25 Polls

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: BubbleWatch and Top 25 Polls

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Here's the NCAA Selection Committee's official Team Sheet for URI (scroll to page 65 in the PDF)
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/MBB_RPI/MBBTeam.pdf

BBState.com simulates this here:
http://www.bbstate.com/teams/URI/deeprpi/15
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote:With us moving down a spot in Bracketology even after a top 50 win against UMASS, I'm starting to think it'll take us winning out, the making the A10 final and losing for an at large bid, unless all the other bubble teams start to falter down the stretch.
Your larger point stands, but Lunardi has been doing two brackets a week, on Monday and Thursday. We weren't listed going into the UMass game. After that win we moved into 7th out. It was after the weekend's games that we slid to 8th out.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Here's a quick comparison:

URI: Avg RPI win: 187 (Slight Advantage)
Davidson: Avg RPI win: 191

URI: Avg RPI Loss: 63 (Slight Advantage)
Davidson: Avg RPI Loss: 70

URI: Top 100 Record: 4-4
Davidson: Top 100 Record: 5-4 (Slight Advantage)

URI: 100+ Record: 14-2 (Slight Advantage)
Davidson: 100+ RPI Record: 13-2
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Moving this here because it's probably more poignant in this thread:

If it were several years ago I would totally agree - but the committee doesn't look at your last 12 games as a metric any more.

The biggest factor they consider is your record vs top 50, or how did you do against teams that would be in the NCAA tournament?

VCU was our last opportunity to get that.

If we go 4-0 in these next 4 games, I expect Dayton and UMass to drop out of the top 50. We would still have the eye sore of an 0-3 record against those top 50 opponents. The same thing happened to the 2010 URI team. Look at this:

http://www.bbstate.com/teams/URI/sheet/10

We were 36 in RPI. Thirty Freakin Six. And we didn't get an at large bid. Guess why?

1-5 against the top 50. 6-2 51-100. Our SOS was 78.

http://www.bbstate.com/teams/URI/sheet/

0-3 top 50, call it 7-1 51-100, and an SOS in the 150s. Even with an RPI in the 40's - don't expect an invite.

Just like in 2010 - had we beat Temple, Xavier, or Richmond - we were a shoe in. 2-4 looks a hell of a lot better than 1-5. Plus the RPI would've creeped into the 20s.

Had we beat Kansas, PC, or VCU this year - or if Nebraska could've stayed in the top 25/50 - 1-3 or 2-2 is a hell of a lot better than 0-3.

The invite will not come. I don't expect it. I would much rather celebrate an A10 championship and NCAA birth on March 15th anyway :-).
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Here's something I read today. Only one team in the last 21 years has gotten into the field as an at large without a win against a team in the tournament. So, if URI goes 3-1 with the loss to Dayton and gets to the finals of the A-10 tournament, which would give the school the 5 wins that most on the site feel will be necessary to get into the tournament, and they lose that game, there's a very strong likelihood that they miss the tournament, particularly if it's Dayton or VCU that they lose to in the finals and not another team (URI will have beaten every other team in the A-10 besides Dayton or VCU in this scenario so if it's another team then they'd have at some point beaten a tournament team). This is also assuming that URI doesn't beat Dayton or VCU in the semifinals. I am assuming that Dayton and VCU are locks at this point.

If you look at the non-conference wins that URI has, it's highly unlikely that any of the schools will be in the tournament. Obviously Pace doesn't count. UMass Lowell, Nebraska, Detroit, Delaware State, Southern Mississippi, Santa Clara and Brown have either no shot or very little shot of winning their conferences and no shot at an at large berth.

Furthermore, without the Dayton win URI will end up 0-5 in my scenario against likely tournament teams.

So what it comes down to is Dayton is an absolute must win and if they lose to Dayton then they likely will have to win the A-10 tournament regardless of how they do against Davidson, La Salle and St. Joseph's. Even if the RPI does get into the mid 30's.

Of course the other 3 games are must wins as well. I think the only game that they can afford to lose is La Salle.
Last edited by scine20 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There's no guarantee that Dayton will be in the tournament. They are still in as of now, but what if they lose to us and VCU, and don't even get a bye?

They could be out. Then, it's all the way in NY or no way, most likely.

Like BM and others have said, it's going to be all or nothing for us.

Win the damn tourney. So how we do in the next 4 games doesn't matter a whole lot, as long as we go at least 2-2 and get the bye.

We got one bullet left in the gun, cowpokes.....

Although it would be nice if we could win the regular season title, since we've never done it...

Who would have thought THAT at the beginning of this season?
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rambone 78 wrote:There's no guarantee that Dayton will be in the tournament. They are still in as of now, but what if they lose to us and VCU, and don't even get a bye?

Like BM and others have said, it's going to be all or nothing for us.

Win the damn tourney. So how we do in the next 4 games doesn't matter a whole lot, as long as we go at least 2-2 and get the bye.

We got one bullet left in the gun, cowpokes.....
I think if URI ends the season 4-0 and loses to VCU and only VCU in the A-10 finals that they'd have a 50-50 shot of getting in. Other than that they'd have to win the tournament and the regular season games don't mean a whole heck of a lot. As long as they get the BYE and hopefully either the 2 or 3 seed to avoid VCU until the finals.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We can beat VCU. We lead them the whole game,
with Webber in the lineup.
We can surely beat them without Webber,
the heart of HAVOC.
The kid Lewis looks like he'll be excellent, though.
Find a way to shut down Graham, and it can happen.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We are now good enough, and playing well enough, to beat anyone in our conference.

We're just going to have to do it 3 days in a row.

Like I said, if we are to have ANY chance of winning out in NY, we need the bye, first.

Win tomorrow night, it's a lock. Our magic number would be 1. Then we're playing for seeding.

For those of you who care, that would also wrap up an NIT bid, imo anyway.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Our magic number would only be one if UMass also loses.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

If you play around with the RPI Wizard, and project winning the next four, our RPI based on stats of today would be 35 with an SOS of 122. I think that may get us in, but I'm certainly not going to go ballistic if we don't make it. At the beginning of the year, I was hoping for an NIT bid for this team, and now we're all going to be disappointed if we don't make the dance. What a turn around.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

STC wrote:Updated BubbleWatch is up on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch

Rhode Island [19-6 (11-3), RPI: 65, SOS: 210] Rhode Island is hanging on, but only barely. Sure, it has responded to a Feb. 11 loss at Saint Joe's with three straight wins, including a home victory over UMass last week. But that's nowhere near enough. The Rams are near the bottom edge of the conceivable bubble, and the worst news, besides their RPI and schedule numbers (including a 230s-ish noncon schedule), is their nonexistent collection of marquee wins. To truly impress the committee, URI might have to go 4-0 in its final four regular-season games -- including this week's home date versus Davidson and trips to La Salle and Dayton. Yikes.
That's pretty much the consensus here. We have to win out and get to the finals of the tourney.
Slava Ukraini!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

It doesn't help that the St Joe's loss was in front of Lunardi.......
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

eli#10 wrote:It doesn't help that the St Joe's loss was in front of Lunardi.......
I don't think it's the St. Joe's loss that hurts them as much as its the now complete lack of quality wins, with Nebraska and George Washington going in the tank. Nobody ever wants a bad loss, but they tend to be balanced out if you have some good wins. All teams will have blips - Brown vs. PC - over the course of the year. But as it stands, URI has no really good wins.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote:There's no guarantee that Dayton will be in the tournament. They are still in as of now, but what if they lose to us and VCU, and don't even get a bye?

Color me into the group that isn't a believer in Dayton at all.

Since they lost their only 2 players that are over 6'6, they've played 2 top 50 teams (Dec win vs Mississippi, loss to UMass), and 4 top 100 teams (beat Richmond by 3, La Salle by 11 - lost @ free falling GW team and @ Davidson). Also just lost by double digits at Duquesne.

They're 14-0 at home. But since Mississippi - #73 Richmond and #78 La Salle are all they've seen. 5 games 101-200, 5 games 200+. They are 4-5 on the road.

Beyond being no taller than being 6'6 in the paint, and not having played a very tough schedule with their new-look team, they're starting to get tired, by all accounts in how they play.

Their stretch run includes an easy home game against George Mason, but then they go on the road to VCU, host a team that could very well be playing the best ball in the A10 in URI, and then go on the road to La Salle on their senior day.

It would not surprise me to see them go 2-2 or 1-3 in these last few weeks. They aren't guaranteed anything.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We are the only team that could dent their perfect home record.

They have shot their 3's very well at home. We defend those well, we've got a good chance to beat them, as long as we don't get hosed by the refs.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

5 wins gets us to the DANCE!

5 wins get us to a 30 some odd RPI. A 30 team leap at the end of the season. The bubble is weak flees on all resume's.

To read we need to win the last 4 and lose in the finals to VCU to have a 50/50 chance at an at large is crazy. That would get us a 27 RPI we'd be at least 10 teams deep.

In 09-10 we lost 5 of our last 7. We played ourselves from solidly in to off the bubble. We lost to Temple for the THIRD time that year to get bounced in the a-10 semis. 5 of our last 7. We ended up a Nit 2 seed 3rd bracket as in 7th team out. No one thought we had a chance for an at large at the end. 5 of 7! It was a Baron special a collapse for the ages.

GO RHODY!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

In 09/10 I think we had about three or four games where if we had won we would be in. Failing every time. Just ridiculous.

Its really looking like we'll need to win all of our games up until the finals.
All these other bubble teams have favorable schedules and seem to be playing very well. Many of them have stepped up lately. Like NC State. If we win the next three we'll be up there with all those teams. And we'd see how everything looks if that happens.
I'm ready for Wednesday night! Skin some cats!
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

PeterRamTime wrote:In 09/10 I think we had about three or four games where if we had won we would be in. Failing every time. Just ridiculous.

Its really looking like we'll need to win all of our games up until the finals.
All these other bubble teams have favorable schedules and seem to be playing very well. Many of them have stepped up lately. Like NC State. If we win the next three we'll be up there with all those teams. And we'd see how everything looks if that happens.
I'm ready for Wednesday night! Skin some cats!
The 07-08 team did the same thing. I remember the one week in late Feb when we had Xavier at home on monday, Umass at home on Thursday, and saint joes at home on sunday. At the time we figured winning 2 out of 3 would put us in the dance. Instead we lost all 3. Devastating
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah 08 was the worst. It started with a second half collapse at Temple. lost in OT and we cut our balls off, put a gun in our mouths and pulled the trigger in a five game losing streak.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody74 wrote:
STC wrote:Updated BubbleWatch is up on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch

Rhode Island [19-6 (11-3), RPI: 65, SOS: 210] Rhode Island is hanging on, but only barely. Sure, it has responded to a Feb. 11 loss at Saint Joe's with three straight wins, including a home victory over UMass last week. But that's nowhere near enough. The Rams are near the bottom edge of the conceivable bubble, and the worst news, besides their RPI and schedule numbers (including a 230s-ish noncon schedule), is their nonexistent collection of marquee wins. To truly impress the committee, URI might have to go 4-0 in its final four regular-season games -- including this week's home date versus Davidson and trips to La Salle and Dayton. Yikes.
That's pretty much the consensus here. We have to win out and get to the finals of the tourney.
It is all basically fair, except the idea that we are barely hanging on to the bubble. That implies we were squarely on the bubble and are sliding off, when actually we are complete bubble guerrillas having fought our way into the conversation at all and only recently.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

jmck wrote:The 07-08 team did the same thing. I remember the one week in late Feb when we had Xavier at home on monday, Umass at home on Thursday, and saint joes at home on sunday. At the time we figured winning 2 out of 3 would put us in the dance. Instead we lost all 3. Devastating
Agreed. Xavier and UMass were on national TV. Both were true sellouts and we had 3 consecutive sellouts in A10 season in total. The game before that streak of 3 was also a 7000+ game due to strong student turnout vs GW if I recall correctly.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Our magic number would only be one if UMass also loses.
No true. If Rhody wins tonight, Our magic number of 1 to get in the top 4 is against Davidson. Any Davidson loss or URI win. UMass could still get in the top 4.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

To not get disappointed, I'm slowly starting to faze out the chance at an at large bid, which would have been crazy to even talk about at the beginning of the year.

I LOVE that we're even on the bubble and I'm HOPING we get an at large, but teams in front of us have been winning, making our chances kind of small. I'm just looking for a top 4 seed in Brooklyn, with a favorable draw.

Brooklyn or bust.
Go Rhody
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

scine20 wrote:Here's something I read today. Only one team in the last 21 years has gotten into the field as an at large without a win against a team in the tournament. So, if URI goes 3-1 with the loss to Dayton and gets to the finals of the A-10 tournament, which would give the school the 5 wins that most on the site feel will be necessary to get into the tournament, and they lose that game, there's a very strong likelihood that they miss the tournament, particularly if it's Dayton or VCU that they lose to in the finals and not another team (URI will have beaten every other team in the A-10 besides Dayton or VCU in this scenario so if it's another team then they'd have at some point beaten a tournament team). This is also assuming that URI doesn't beat Dayton or VCU in the semifinals. I am assuming that Dayton and VCU are locks at this point.

If you look at the non-conference wins that URI has, it's highly unlikely that any of the schools will be in the tournament. Obviously Pace doesn't count. UMass Lowell, Nebraska, Detroit, Delaware State, Southern Mississippi, Santa Clara and Brown have either no shot or very little shot of winning their conferences and no shot at an at large berth.

Furthermore, without the Dayton win URI will end up 0-5 in my scenario against likely tournament teams.

So what it comes down to is Dayton is an absolute must win and if they lose to Dayton then they likely will have to win the A-10 tournament regardless of how they do against Davidson, La Salle and St. Joseph's. Even if the RPI does get into the mid 30's.

Of course the other 3 games are must wins as well. I think the only game that they can afford to lose is La Salle.
We can't afford to lose to LaSalle.
There isn't a realistic scenario that we get into the finals without beating Dayton (regular season or tournament) or VCU.

If Rhody wins out and makes the finals, they are in. They would have the following:
A 15-3 A10 regular season record
An overall record of 25-7
Either regular season Champs or Co-Champs
“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Most important games left:
Dayton
First game in tournament
Second game in tournament
Davidson
LaSalle
St. Joe's
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the next game is the most important game, gotta win that to stay in the convo
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote:
No true. If Rhody wins tonight, Our magic number of 1 to get in the top 4 is against Davidson. Any Davidson loss or URI win. UMass could still get in the top 4.
Also true, but RR02 is also correct. If URI wins and UMass loses tonight, any URI win or UMass loss the rest of the way would ensure we finish ahead of them. This is assuming we would lose a tie breaker to UMass, which from my understanding UMass would win because if we finished tied it would mean we lost to Dayton (who they beat).
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote:To not get disappointed, I'm slowly starting to faze out the chance at an at large bid, which would have been crazy to even talk about at the beginning of the year.

I LOVE that we're even on the bubble and I'm HOPING we get an at large, but teams in front of us have been winning, making our chances kind of small. I'm just looking for a top 4 seed in Brooklyn, with a favorable draw.

Brooklyn or bust.
This is really the only sensible way to look at it for right now. Just keep winning.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
No true. If Rhody wins toningt, Our magic number of 1 to get in the top 4 is against Davidson. Any Davidson loss or URI win. UMass could still get in the top 4.
That's not accurate. Our magic number with Davidson if we win tonight would be 2. We'd be two games up on them with three to go. Any win by us or loss by them after tonight would only secure a tie and we can't assume we would win the tiebreaker against them because it could be a several team tie which would then involve other tiebrakers than head to head.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

It doesn't matter that the St. Joe's loss was in front of Lunardi...Lunardi is not on the committee. Blue Man's assessment is correct. They don't consider the last 10 games any more. They look the entire season's resume and URI's doesn't stack up due to the lack of high quality wins. Plus, conference finish is irrelevant due to the unbalanced schedules that league's now play. The committee doesn't care what place you were in the A-10. So URI may finish ahead of Dayton and VCU. It doesn't matter. If a team Dayton played VCU twice (and URI played them once) but URI played Fordham twice (and Dayton played them once)...then that's why conference record is skewed.

The best thing about winning the conference is the banner, the bragging rights, and selling recruits on a winning culture.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

At this point if URI is to win out and lose in the A-10 finals, the absolute best that they'll be in the RPI is in the high 30's or low 40's. It won't be good enough with URI's complete lack of quality wins.

What I want to see if URI get a BYE. After that all the chips are on the table. But the goal now is the BYE and nothing else.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't agree. Winning the A10 regular season title won't get us in the tournament, but we've never done that before. Even a share would be a great step for this program. Also, in your scenario of winning out until the A10 finals, we would have beaten Dayton on the road, which should be a top 50 win, our win against UMass could be a top 50 depending on what they do down the stretch, and we'll probably have to win against a top team to just make the finals. So I believe we have a goal other than just getting a bye in these last three games and I think we still have a chance to get two quality wins and we might already have one.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Put this baby to bed. We're not going to the NCAAs
unless we win in Brooklyn.
Just not enough quality wins, in reality.
Although Lunardi had us still in his last 4 out, even
after last night's loss.
Any chance we had of getting in without winning in Brooklyn,
went out the window last night.
Sorry, but wishing ain't gonna make it so.
umASS is going down in true CFL style,
and will be out of the top 50, soon.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Winning the A10 regular season would not now result in an at-large bid. I'm certain of that. However, LET'S STILL WIN THE FUCKING LEAGUE
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

I STILL dont believe that we are done for an at-large. If we win out and make it to the A10 finals, I would bet we get a bid.
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

skwalk47 wrote:I STILL dont believe that we are done for an at-large. If we win out and make it to the A10 finals, I would bet we get a bid.
...Let it go, man.
Go Rhody!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm too old to learn or even care about RPI, so....Let's say we win our last 3 games and so does VCU. Davidson and UMass each lose one. So, we share the title with VCU. Then, let's say Davidson and UMass get knocked out early in NY. We beat Dayton in the semis and lose to VCU in the finals. Figure 2 teams are getting in. Wouldn't we have to be one of them? We beat Dayton twice, split with UMass and lose to Davidson by one, but finish higher in the standings and go further in the tourney than all three also. In the old days, that gets us in. And in my opinion, it totally makes sense. But then there's that RPI crap that I choose to ignore.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Andrew wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:I STILL dont believe that we are done for an at-large. If we win out and make it to the A10 finals, I would bet we get a bid.
...Let it go, man.
Yeah. Since VCU it has been Brooklyn or bust in reality. Anyone holding onto hope after UMass, St Joes, and last night is just foolish.

Let it go, and expect big things - like winning the damn tourney!

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Since there's no way of knowing what the brackets will be,
there's not much use in speculating who we might play,
let alone beat.
Just need to win it all. Period.
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Friendly bet anyone? Say $50 mews gift card? I say we make the tourney if we win all our remaining games except the A-10 tournament.
It's a perfect bet for whoever thinks they won't make it. This way on selection Sunday if you are disappointed at least you get a Mews gift card ;-)
URI BS '08 MS '11

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

skwalk47 wrote:Friendly bet anyone? Say $50 mews gift card? I say we make the tourney if we win all our remaining games except the A-10 tournament.
It's a perfect bet for whoever thinks they won't make it. This way on selection Sunday if you are disappointed at least you get a Mews gift card ;-)
To be clear we win next 5 games:
1) beat LaSalle
2) beat Dayton
3) beat St Joe's
4) win Quarter-Final March 13
5) win the Semi-Final March 14
6) lose Final March 15

I can't bet you because I agree with this that we would dance if we lost the Final but won 5 straight leading up to it...........only caveate would be if we lost convincingly in the Final - by 20 points or so as that has hurt teams in this position in the past. URI would also have to lose the Final

Records are all very close in the A10 right now for the top teams so it would be hard not to take us as the 2nd place finisher.

http://www.atlantic10.com/fls/31600/pdf ... M_ID=31600
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Beyond the lunacy that is anyone thinking we will be an at-large team at all, I think this talk was affecting the team as well. I'm not talking about the board, I just mean in general.

We're a young team- and no matter what anyone says about not looking at things, or reading things, or listening to what is said about them - that's bullshit. I play a D2 amateur sport that is almost irrelevant in America, and you bet your ass I read EVERYTHING about what's going on in the conference, game write ups, and know every single playoff scenario. Everyone on my team and in the conference is the same. You cannot possibly believe that a D1 athlete that plays a sport as popular as basketball, with as much national and local coverage as NCAA hoops gets, doesn't immerse himself in all of it.

Every time this talk came up, we collapsed.

Pre-VCU - everyone talking about a win and we're an NCAA lock. Pre-UMass, everyone said, well we can still get a top 50 road win and be in a good position for an at large. Both those games we pooped our pants down the stretch.

Then we went and won a bunch of games with no tourney talk. Before the St Joes game the talk was back on, and we pooped our pants.

Then we went and won a bunch of games with no tourney talk. Before the Davidson game the talk was back on, and, you guessed it, we pooped our pants.

Now this talk, which has been done for most of us with our feet on the ground, is officially dead. The team doesn't have to hear about at-large bids or anything else. Now we can just focus on the one thing we can: winning brooklyn.

Last nights game was an abomination of offense that comes around once a calendar year, especially for a team this talented. We are young, so it was bound to happen - but a game where you shoot 5% from 3, sub 50% from the line, and miss an embarrassing amount of layups just flat doesn't happen. We lost by 1. If you put those numbers up in most games against a good opponent, you lose by 20. I don't expect to ever see an offensive showing so thoroughly terrible ever again honestly - certainly not with this level of talent.

Thanks to our D we will be in every game we play. If we can just play a below average night of offense, and not a terrible night of offense, we will win out.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Hurley said on the last radio show that they don't ignore the NCAA talk at all when asked by Steve Mac. He said something equivalent to how the team is doing well and deserves to know where they stand. No doubt they know all about this. But I definitely agree that it's partly why they lost key games and also partly due to the fact they are still young and inexperienced. However, this team will be much improved and scary to play against next season.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Nobody in this day of social media is living in a bubble.
They read and hear all this stuff from their friends and fans.
Hurley keeps the players off social media during the season,
but they still read what's sent to them.
My first reaction when we were so woeful early on was,
"Oh, they must be reading the hype".
The kids did come through vs. UMass last week, so there's that.
There was a lot of "must win" buzz around that game.
Just play it out and whatever happens, try to remember
where we've came from, and enjoy what's been a good
year, pointing to a very bright future.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I'm just happy to see this program progress the way it has. They weren't 'suppose' to dance this year were considered a year ahead of schedule. Simply being in the discussion, receiving some AP votes, and national recognition is exciting because when was the last time we had this kind of buzz in Kingston? It's a testament to how hard coach and the players are working. We are watching this program grow right before our eyes. Based on the rate of their success thus far, I will not be surprised to see long term and consistent success for years to come. Now lets win in Brooklyn!
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:Friendly bet anyone? Say $50 mews gift card? I say we make the tourney if we win all our remaining games except the A-10 tournament.
To be clear we win next 5 games:
1) beat LaSalle
2) beat Dayton
3) beat St Joe's
4) win Quarter-Final March 13
5) win the Semi-Final March 14
6) lose Final March 15

I can't bet you because I agree with this that we would dance if we lost the Final but won 5 straight leading up to it...........only caveate would be if we lost convincingly in the Final - by 20 points or so as that has hurt teams in this position in the past. URI would also have to lose the Final

Records are all very close in the A10 right now for the top teams so it would be hard not to take us as the 2nd place finisher.

http://www.atlantic10.com/fls/31600/pdf ... M_ID=31600
Exactly so we aren't dead yet :D
URI BS '08 MS '11

skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

URI BS '08 MS '11

brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

5 wins or 3 in NY. I don't care just FRE$KEN DO IT!

GO RHODY!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Amazingly, ESPN still has Rhode Island (barely) in their Bubblewatch. Eammon Brennan takes the opportunity to be very complimentary of what Dan Hurley has done to turn our program around.

Rhode Island [19-7 (11-4), RPI: 73, SOS: 183] Before we banish Rhody from the Watch -- and it's not totally dead quite yet -- let's take a moment to appreciate the job third-year coach Dan Hurley has done. In 2012-13, Hurley inherited a mess and won just eight games. Last season, the Rams were much more competitive, albeit occasionally, in a 14-18 season. This season, Rhode Island ranks in the top 10 nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency. The Rams can be an ugly watch on the offensive end but, boy, do they grind it out defensively. That this program is in the bubble picture at all right now is a testament to Hurley's textbook rebuild.