Week #15 – Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: Week #15 – Games of Interest

Unread post by Ramulous »

The A-10 needs VCU, Dayton, UMass and us to win as many games as possible down the stretch.....we need to win them all......and the others need to win except when they play us.....when they play each other they need to win their home games....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:I wasn't really killing Bembry or EC. They both put more on the table than they take off of it. But it is a fact that EC has struggled at the end of games, and tonight Bembry did too.
Also a fact that EC is playing injured, not able to practice much and his turnovers have been worse since the injury.
I just think you could have made the statement about Bembry without the negative about EC
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Ramster, you and I and Hurley all know that he can't put EC on the bench. He is by far our best scorer and he has to be on the floor. But the turnovers are definitely a problem, especially since so many of them are unforced and careless. I love EC as a player and I'm definitely not piling on him, but I don't know how anyone can say that the lack of ball security isn't concerning regardless of the reason for it.
TP,
I think you already responded to me and maybe thought the STC agreement with my comment was me again?

At any rate, you can say you are not piling on him and I believe you believe that, however it feels to me like piling on.
Again I have to bring up the injury and his inability to practice as normal. None of us know how much that is contributing but I know his turnovers are more blatant and more ugly than all of last year and before the injury - definitely not the same. So maybe the more positive way to look at EC is how great it is that he is playing through the pain and helping this team to greatness in spite of it all.

Enjoy the ride.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Ramster, you and I and Hurley all know that he can't put EC on the bench. He is by far our best scorer and he has to be on the floor. But the turnovers are definitely a problem, especially since so many of them are unforced and careless. I love EC as a player and I'm definitely not piling on him, but I don't know how anyone can say that the lack of ball security isn't concerning regardless of the reason for it.
TP,
I think you already responded to me and maybe thought the STC agreement with my comment was me again?

At any rate, you can say you are not piling on him and I believe you believe that, however it feels to me like piling on.
Again I have to bring up the injury and his inability to practice as normal. None of us know how much that is contributing but I know his turnovers are more blatant and more ugly than all of last year and before the injury - definitely not the same. So maybe the more positive way to look at EC is how great it is that he is playing through the pain and helping this team to greatness in spite of it all.

Enjoy the ride.
I cringed when reviewing the game thread- right after the game ended, when there was so much good stuff to talk about, there was this string of "my god EC, wtf" posts that seemed a bit much. Unfortunate timing and placement, maybe, but it stuck out. Some of it just comes with being the highest profile player on a good team, which is still what Matthews is.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

When you watch a talented guy make unforced errors like lobbing the ball directly to the other team or dribbling the ball out of bounds, it is definitely frustrating. It isn't like he is turning it over by trying to make an aggressive play in traffic or thread the needle on a pass; a lot of the time he's just giving the ball away. I'm sure he would acknowledge it is a problem, and that is all I did. The frustration really had nothing to do with the game itself, and more to do with EC's progression as a player. It has become an alarming habit, like an electrifying running back that continues to put the ball on the ground (obviously possession in basketball isn't as paramount as it is in football).

I'm a huge supporter of EC, but I'm not going to apologize for acknowledging that the turnovers (and the type of turnovers) are a problem.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote:
I cringed when reviewing the game thread- right after the game ended, when there was so much good stuff to talk about, there was this string of "my god EC, wtf" posts that seemed a bit much. Unfortunate timing and placement, maybe, but it stuck out. Some of it just comes with being the highest profile player on a good team, which is still what Matthews is.
I think the criticism is fair, given that he is our highest profile guy, with NBA talk, and our leading scorer. He has certainly put himself and the team on the map, and that's a huge credit to what he's done not even halfway through his college career.

I think what is frustrating is that he is playing on a team that is deep with talent, and guys who have fallen into their roles, playing together as a true team. We really have a beautiful team chemistry - with everyone from the bench to your starters embracing their roles - no matter how many minutes come of them, or what they need to do.

What is frustrating to see in EC, is that there are times where he still thinks it's only him, and that he has to do everything - which is when his mistakes happen.

We have so much talent at the PG spot with Jarvis, we have a clear second scoring option in Terrell - and both of whom are developing dangerous shots that are now going to force teams to play us man to man rather than in a zone. EC doesn't have to be the guy to bring the ball up or set the offense, but there are times he's out there forcing things - when his talents lie elsewhere.

I think it's a fair point of concern, simply because everyone realizes that EC is holding himself back from being even better than he is right now.

His development lies in coming off ball screens (which he has very clearly gotten better at) and draining shots. With everyone's defense keying on him, the extra pass would end up freeing him up in the long run - there are only a handful of players, much less in the A10, that can cover EC one on one to try and stop him in the lane.

I don't think anyone is piling on EC in a negative way, I think everyone realizes that he can be even better than he is by trusting his teammates more.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a late game in Malibu, Pepperdine held off a determined Santa Clara team to win 64-55. So for the evening, URI OOC opponents went 0-3 which lowered the RPI by one to 64 and the SOS dropped 4 to 200 which shows the influence of SOS even when URI is not playing.

No games tonight in the A-10.

Only action involving OOC opponents is Columbia at Brown. 8 PM. Columbia won the first match, but I sense Brown getting an upset win tonight.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:When you watch a talented guy make unforced errors like lobbing the ball directly to the other team or dribbling the ball out of bounds, it is definitely frustrating. It isn't like he is turning it over by trying to make an aggressive play in traffic or thread the needle on a pass; a lot of the time he's just giving the ball away. I'm sure he would acknowledge it is a problem, and that is all I did. The frustration really had nothing to do with the game itself, and more to do with EC's progression as a player. It has become an alarming habit, like an electrifying running back that continues to put the ball on the ground (obviously possession in basketball isn't as paramount as it is in football).

I'm a huge supporter of EC, but I'm not going to apologize for acknowledging that the turnovers (and the type of turnovers) are a problem.
Sorry,
but I have never interpreted your overall comments to illustrate being a huge supporter of EC. I also cringed to read the comments after the last game about the guy.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

How you interpret my "overall comments" doesn't matter to me, but for example I argued last year that the guy should be unanimous ROY. I also wasn't really critical at all, other than a couple comments that he turns the ball over too much. I don't see how that is unfair or cringe-worthy. I'd also say that my comments here don't represent the entirety of everything I've ever said or thought about the guy. I'm telling you that I really like EC and am a huge supporter of his, I just want to see the careless turnovers reduced (for his own good as much as for the team). If that isn't acceptable to you, I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't even really understand your beef here...
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think sometimes the comments in-game in the game thread need to be taken with a grain of salt as well. People are reacting real time as they are watching the game and maybe a bit emotional, if you will. It's easy to go back after the fact and read that stuff when the game is over and everybody is happy with the way it ended and think that some of it sounds crazy or overly negative, but in reality it's just somebody reacting to a play they just saw in the moment.

I know I'm guilty of that quite a bit because I am a raving lunatic during the games.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:I think sometimes the comments in-game in the game thread need to be taken with a grain of salt as well. People are reacting real time as they are watching the game and maybe a bit emotional, if you will. It's easy to go back after the fact and read that stuff when the game is over and everybody is happy with the way it ended and think that some of it sounds crazy or overly negative, but in reality it's just somebody reacting to a play they just saw in the moment.

I know I'm guilty of that quite a bit because I am a raving lunatic during the games.
In other game threads I have talked about wanting to murder people, so my expressing disappointment in a turnover is pretty timid by comparison. I fully admit to not being a sane person during games.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:I think sometimes the comments in-game in the game thread need to be taken with a grain of salt as well. People are reacting real time as they are watching the game and maybe a bit emotional, if you will. It's easy to go back after the fact and read that stuff when the game is over and everybody is happy with the way it ended and think that some of it sounds crazy or overly negative, but in reality it's just somebody reacting to a play they just saw in the moment.

In other game threads I have talked about wanting to murder people, so my expressing disappointment in a turnover is pretty timid by comparison. I fully admit to not being a sane person during games.
Haha yes, exactly. There is a reason my wife has started suspiciously timing her trips to the gym with the start of Rhody games...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:How you interpret my "overall comments" doesn't matter to me, but for example I argued last year that the guy should be unanimous ROY. I also wasn't really critical at all, other than a couple comments that he turns the ball over too much. I don't see how that is unfair or cringe-worthy. I'd also say that my comments here don't represent the entirety of everything I've ever said or thought about the guy. I'm telling you that I really like EC and am a huge supporter of his, I just want to see the careless turnovers reduced (for his own good as much as for the team). If that isn't acceptable to you, I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't even really understand your beef here...
You sold me
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

you have to attack Dayton inside to beat them, if you settle for outside shot you play to their strength. They have no depth so pounding it inside and getting them in foul trouble is key
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I get what everyone's saying about EC. I'm just telling you my reaction, especially after reading the first part of page 7 of the UMass game thread. I read the game thread way after the fact. It's the biggest win of the season, the game was over at that point- I'm thinking people should be happy- and then it was just a string a rough stuff. That's all.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My point exactly, and it is not only in the UMass thread. Same reaction from me.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

"The negativity in this town sucks"!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Brown gets curb stomped by Columbia....

Thanks, Brown.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Except for Kansas and PC, basically all of our other OOC opponents suck.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Busy Saturday in the A-10:

Rhode Island at George Mason. 4 PM. All road games are land mines and losing this one would give URI its worst loss of season. Knowing that they need every game to make the “Dance”, URI has stronger motivation. GO RHODY!!

UMass at VCU. 12 PM. On ESPN2. Big game, but bigger for UMass than VCU. Will the Minuteman rebound after the crushing loss to URI and get an important road win to stay in the hunt for a tournament bye?

Dayton at Duquesne 2 PM. On NBC Sports. Dayton has had some tenuous performances on the road and Duquesne has been impressive in defending its home court. In their earlier game, Dayton had the upper hand to rout the Dukes, 81-55, but this one will be much closer.

GW at Richmond. 4 PM. On CBS Sports. Both teams have fallen from higher expectations, but GW having lost five of their last six games is in worse condition and the home court advantage will give this game to the Spiders.

Fordham at Davidson. 7 PM. A big challenge for Fordham and despite their recent first road win in ages, the Metro Rams will be at a disadvantage.

St. Bonventure at Saint Joseph’s. 7 PM. After winning big over Davidson and VCU, the Bonnies looked poised to move up, but then came a bitter loss to UMass, the loss of their point guard, and two mores losses which removes them from any possible post season play. St. Joe’s looks to get the win.

In games involving URI OOC Opponents:

Georgia Tech at #25 North Carolina. 12 PM. On ESPN3. Another loss for GT.

TCU at # 8Kansas. 4 PM. On ESPN3. Easy win for Jayhawks after the upset loss to WVU.

UNH at UMass-Lowell. 4:30 PM. At 16-10, UNH is guaranteed its first wining season in years and the momentum from winning eight of its last nine games will take them over the River Hawks.

Southern Miss at Charlotte. 5:30 PM. More USM losing.

Santa Clara at Loyola Marymount. 6 PM. Two bottom rung WCC teams playing for pride.

Cornell at Brown. 6 PM. Brown has been erratic of late, understandable given the negative changes to their roster.

Delaware State at Hampton. 6 PM. One motivating factor for the Hornets here is the opportunity to move into the upper rung of the MEAC. Just win, DSU.

Anything worse than 4-3 for the day will be another negative for the URI SOS.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not exactly a game of interest, but this is ridiculous.

Idaho coach ejects own assistant during game
http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/ ... Zt4J2CwxkI
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Cool! Important games for us at both noon and 2:00, and both on TV. A little warm up to get us ready for our game.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Who do we want to win this VCU-UMass game? I think I prefer UMass. We played them twice, so them winning might help our RPI a little more and it gives us control of the one seed.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hey look, UMASS scored. Only took over five and a half minutes.

And for real, Briante Weber is pretty damn cool.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Who do we want to win this VCU-UMass game? I think I prefer UMass. We played them twice, so them winning might help our RPI a little more and it gives us control of the one seed.
Been having a war in my head over this. The counter-argument is that UMass is on the bubble and URI needs as many bubble teams to lose as possible. One less team to worry about. I can see both sides to it, although it looks like VCU is making the decision for us right now.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

We definitely want Umass....not looking good early
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

UMass mailing it in. Wanted them to win, but not happening.
Why is it everyone we beat, automatically sucks after that?
Hey, did anyone know Briante Webber was out?
They only mentioned it 3,785 time so far.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Who do we want to win this VCU-UMass game? I think I prefer UMass. We played them twice, so them winning might help our RPI a little more and it gives us control of the one seed.
Been having a war in my head over this. The counter-argument is that UMass is on the bubble and URI needs as many bubble teams to lose as possible. One less team to worry about. I can see both sides to it, although it looks like VCU is making the decision for us right now.
UMass another game back brings a greater chance of a bye for URI, just need VCU to lose one game
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Just when they looked dead, UMass cuts it to 5 at the half.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:
UMass another game back brings a greater chance of a bye for URI, just need VCU to lose one game
Especially considering that this UMass's last best chance to lose. The rest of their games are very winnable. If we want them to lose at all, today is the day. On the other hand, maybe we don't. They are our best win to date.

UMass cuts it to one point game with 13:00 to go.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

The more I think about it I'm not sure who we want to win......Umass beating a top 25 team on the road could be the quality win that gets them in over us if we don't win out
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Georgia Tech making it a game.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Georgia Tech making it a game.
Lol
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Well Dayton could be in the top 25 when we play them.
This UMass VCU game is good! VCU pulling away again...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Duquesne leading by 4 late in the first half against Dayton.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Duquesne's gym is packed....
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

That is not Duquense or Dayton's home gym.....where the hell are they playing? Who do we want to win?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Duquesne by 9 points with 10 minutes to go. Announcer says the many Dayton fans who made the trip to Pittsburgh are silent right now.
Would be a huge negative on Dayton's RPI to lose this one.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Dayton is in legit trouble now.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

They are indeed! Buuut just made a bank three and forced a turnover
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Wow Dayton making some plays but Dukes counter-punching!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Aren't they playing where the tournament will be?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

The A-10 can kill bubble teams like no other league. Our bottom dwellers are evil.
We gotta set out to kill GMU! I just know they're gonna come out with enough or more energy to match ours.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

This year, I'm just hoping the other top teams lose. I'm only concerned about us winning the league.
Dayton's unis. are ugly.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

The Dukes might pull this win over Dayton. Up 10 with a little over 3 to go.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

The more Dayton wins the bigger our game against them will be and the better a win will be against them. I'm in the, rooting for as many A-10 teams in the tourney as possible boat. Really that benefits us more.
Not looking good for Dayton.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:Aren't they playing where the tournament will be?
yes
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

81-71 Duquesne leads with 50 seconds to go, this one is over
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think my interest is now with winning the league versus trying to get negligible RPI bumps here or there. RoadyJays analysis that we need to win six more games for an at-large is going to hold true regardless, except if maybe we win the regular season outright we could get a bump for that independent of RPI.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dayton loses 83-73. Now 10-4 in A-10 play. Flyers still have a few tough games to close out their season as they play GMU, at VCU, URI, and at LaSalle. Duquense was one their supposed easier games (after GMU at home). With UMass and Dayton losing today, URI's chances at a top 4 finish and bye improve. Just need to take care of business today at GMU.