Game #24: Massachusetts - Wednesday @ 7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #24: Massachusetts - Wednesday @ 7pm

Unread post by ace »

EZBuckets wrote:
Ramulous wrote:Question for EZ Buckets.......did you hear anything derogatory from our crowd directed at Derrick Gordon ? From far away I couldn't hear anything derogatory.....could have been a rogue fan or two if it happened....
I know the students booed loudly when Gordon committed a hard foul...but there were no cheers or derogatory remarks of any kind. And believe me...if I ever heard any sort of nonsense I would have shut it down immediately. There's zero room for that.

Methinks the UMass fans were hearing things....
Way to be, EZ. And that's messed up that those UMass fans were floating that idea out there.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Just got on, but was at the game. Were the fans booing the URI Football team when their Deans list students were introduced at half-time? Other than EC's bad handle and bad passes a good game by all.

On the ride down to the game, I commented how I wanted to see Jared and EC complementing each other as scorers. I saw it this game.

When we are significantly ahead in the last 5 minutes, we stop playing aggressive defense and give up a lot of lay-ups. Then, we don't try to run down the clock when pressed on offense, but go up-tempo. We are playing not to lose on defense and going for the jugular on offense.
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

"When we are significantly ahead in the last 5 minutes, we stop playing aggressive defense and give up a lot of lay-ups. Then, we don't try to run down the clock when pressed on offense, but go up-tempo. We are playing not to lose on defense and going for the jugular on offense."

I dont think its that we play not to lose, but I think we start to play more not to foul. At that point we are almost always in the double bonus and that seems to take some of our aggressiveness away.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I watched the replay of the game today being interested in what the announcers said plus just wanted to enjoy it again.
EC was named Player of the Game as they sighted his shooting percentages from the field and free throws plus rebounds and overall game. No mention of turnovers..............not to diminish the turnovers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

9 player rotation with 8 players meeting or exceeding expectations last night.
Only Biggie underachieved. He missed some easy shots and didnt play well on D.
He was covering UMass backup PG when he went the entire floor and dunked it. Dan immediately took him out.

I would say EC was average. He shot 4-10 with the 6 TOs. First half he was bad - only made 1 FG and missed his 2 FTs. I know he scored 16 (6-8 FT). No way he deseved player of the game. I think it should have been shared by JG and JT.
“We will be good when we are good.”
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Ace,

With all due respect to you, I will never read or click on anything written by Jimbo D. I made a pledge to myself years ago. That guy is a turd. And he's a totally PC suck-up...both on the record and off it.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Where did you get the replay, ramster?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I watched a replay via my DVR imagine that. Is there an online replay?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

So glad we were able to get the win! We've lost to UMass way too much over the years. That game was some long over due payback. The team played really well. It's very impressive to see how they have progressed throughout this season. I knew they would improve as the season moved on, but I didn't think it was going to be as much as I saw last night. Garett is really gaining some confidence and looks lightning fast when he hits the paint. Jared is just stone cold. Nothing phases that guy. TJ causing all kinds of problems for UMass on defense. Jerelle also had some key buckets to help the team pull away. He didn't score a lot but the buckets he did score were important ones. The team didn't allow the momentum to swing in UMass's favor when the game was still close. Fans were awesome. Best I've seen them or close to it.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

EC was player of the game?????? How many points did his turnovers
give UMass?
4-10 is great? Wow!
Terrell, Garrett and Martin all had better games.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:EC was player of the game?????? How many points did his turnovers
give UMass?
4-10 is great? Wow!
Terrell, Garrett and Martin all had better games.
The announcers weren't great. I think EC's reputation helped him with guys who probably don't see us much and don't know much about our team. I thought all three other Core Four guys would have been better choices, but whatever. It isn't like it matters. It's not an official "award."
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well for curiosity, I looked up EC's turnover stats
in the 10 prior games to Brown. when he was injured.
He had 35 turnovers for an average of 3.5 a game.
Four games with 5, one with 4, two with three.
So, it looks like the injury ISN'T the reason for EC's
ball handling problems.
I almost wish it was, because he'd have an excuse.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

some stats on us this year

when we commit less turnovers than our opponents: 11-1

when we outrebound our opponent: 13-1

when our opponents shoots FTs at a better percentage than us: 8-3

as long as Gil and Hass are on the floor we can rebound with anyone. Turnovers continue to be our biggest area for improvement (EC). Garrett's progress goes a long way towards our improvement in that area, with him shouldering more of the ball handling burden our numbers should improve.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Interesting, BAR.
We also have established a solid home court advantage.
Does anyone know if there will be a stream for the Mason game?
No TV anywhere.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Interesting, BAR.
No TV anywhere.
I would hope at least the A10 Network will pick up online like the St. Joes game.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Interesting, BAR.
No TV anywhere.
I would hope at least the A10 Network will pick up online like the St. Joes game.
It's listed on there now, but as a Premium game.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody72 wrote:Were the fans booing the URI Football team when their Deans list students were introduced at half-time?

When we are significantly ahead in the last 5 minutes, we stop playing aggressive defense and give up a lot of lay-ups. Then, we don't try to run down the clock when pressed on offense, but go up-tempo.
Noticed these as well. Was there a recent incident regarding fb?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Or maybe there is a player they call "Moose" or something and kids were like "Mooooooooose!" If you don't know for sure what was going on, better to not read into it too much.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

things might have changed but when I was at Rhody 2007-11 most students really couldn't stand the players on the football team...
Clapton is God
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Nice to see the news has spread around the state.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rhody72 wrote: When we are significantly ahead in the last 5 minutes, we stop playing aggressive defense and give up a lot of lay-ups. Then, we don't try to run down the clock when pressed on offense, but go up-tempo. We are playing not to lose on defense and going for the jugular on offense.
I think the defense, in addition to trying to not foul, also doesn't rotate down and help on dribble drives because they don't want to give up a wide-open 3.

Not sure if you're saying that going uptempo on offense is a good thing or bad thing - I personally think it is a good thing when teams press us. For 35 minutes of the VCU game, we played some of our best offense of the season against a defense that made us move quickly. I think when teams press us and we get a mini 3/2 or 2/1 break, GO FOR IT in almost any situation. It seems to me that more turnovers/wasted possessions against a press happen when we're too tentative and don't look to attack. Instead, we stop just over the half court line and run into trouble with either a trap or a defender catching up to the ball from behind. When teams press, use their aggressiveness against them, don't give their defense time to catch up and recover when they gamble.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Great pictures here. Nice to see that upper level filled with fans in these shots.

http://www.photobyfriday.com/Sports/Bas ... URI-UMASS/
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Great pictures! Amazing what winning does for a program .... the cheerleaders and Ramettes are prettier, the crowd is louder, the band sounds better, the signs are funnier, Dan is more animated (oops, more intense), the Ryan Center's food tastes better (ok, that's a stretch) ...
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Some great candidates in there to be featured next time we redo the banner.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is still one of my favorites (from the GW game)-

http://www.photobyfriday.com/Sports/Bas ... -TrBvbb9/A
BlueSuitMan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by BlueSuitMan »

EZBuckets wrote:
Ramulous wrote:Question for EZ Buckets.......did you hear anything derogatory from our crowd directed at Derrick Gordon ? From far away I couldn't hear anything derogatory.....could have been a rogue fan or two if it happened....
I know the students booed loudly when Gordon committed a hard foul...but there were no cheers or derogatory remarks of any kind. And believe me...if I ever heard any sort of nonsense I would have shut it down immediately. There's zero room for that.

Methinks the UMass fans were hearing things....

From what I remember, we did the "No class UMass" chant then, like we did a few other times throughout the game. I don't remember anything targeted or derogatory.

As to the booing of the football team, I thought it was a little low, but the general view of the football team isn't very high. Most of the students joke about the few (if any) wins we get each season. It was a mix of boos and cheers I think.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Is the person who takes those photos a member of the board do we know? Just want to make sure they are ok with me using their photos for the banner on here...
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody74 wrote:Great pictures! Amazing what winning does for a program .... the cheerleaders and Ramettes are prettier, the crowd is louder, the band sounds better, the signs are funnier, Dan is more animated (oops, more intense), the Ryan Center's food tastes better (ok, that's a stretch) ...
Agreed. It's nice, isn't it?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

BlueSuitMan wrote:
As to the booing of the football team, I thought it was a little low, but the general view of the football team isn't very high. Most of the students joke about the few (if any) wins we get each season. It was a mix of boos and cheers I think.

That makes no sense!
The football team gets far less support than any team in its conference, which just so happens to be the best conference in the country.
So they don't win many games.
So when the deans list students get announced, feel free to boo the players who worked their asses off for that honor?
Ruda is getting angry!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

rhodyrudder wrote:
BlueSuitMan wrote:

That makes no sense!
The football team gets far less support than any team in its conference, which just so happens to be the best conference in the country.
So they don't win many games.
So when the deans list students get announced, feel free to boo the players who worked their asses off for that honor?
Ruda is getting angry!

I didn't hear any booing but that is totally unfair to the football team. Look at the "stadium" they have and then tell me what the expectation should be. Shame on those booing the student athletes, they deserved to have been cheered.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

URI plays in the SEC?
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Booing a football player should be grounds for dismissal.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

What about the other losing teams' players?
As an athletic department that has had exactly 4 teams
post a winning record during the last four years....
That would be nearly all our recent student athletes...
Still angry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It the team had not one a single game in the past 10 years there is no excuse for booing. Only respectful cheering should have taken place.
Makes me angry too and embarassed quite honestly.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

People here are assuming that if booing took place it was due to wins and losses. Earlier on this page gorhody89 made it seem like it could have been a separate issue.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Ya when I was in school (2007-11) the general opinion of the football team was very low. However it had very little to do with their win-loss record and more with the kids themselves. I am generalizing as I am sure their were some good guys but I had nothing but negative interactions with members of the football team. Times might have changed as it is certainly a different group of kids on the team now but atleast back then most members of the student body thought very little of the character of the football team.

Of course I was also younger, biased, and bitter that my team with a 50k a year budget was cut the same year they fired the old coach(2007) and bought out his contract and ate a large amount of money
Clapton is God