Latest RPI Status

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Latest RPI Status

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

play an top 20 legit team anywhere, anytime..

I rather play top teams than low teams
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Chaney's first team, which had a losing record played Stanford, Missouri,
Dayton (independent) and Villanova.
2nd year, Wichita State, Stanford, PC, and Dayton.
3rd season, Villanova, Bradley, Wyoming, and Wake Forest.
Big 5 schools all play each other every season, lessening the OOC
beyond the Big 5.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Big Five is how La Salle got such a strong schedule - that connection got them Villanova and through the Barclay's Classic they got Virginia.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hey guys--let's talk about and focus on winning the effin game tonight!!!!!!!!!! You can resume your arguing tomorrow.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Who cares about Cheney? What was that, 1952?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

here we go everybody....lets gooooo... thank god this is on sny
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Here’s the latest look (as of 02/19, 5:59 AM) at the A-10 conference teams on overall record, RPI, and OOC SOS.

Code: Select all

Team	             Record   RPI	OOC SOS

VCU	               20-6	  13	   1
Dayton	            19-5	  30	  92
UMass	             16-10	 38	   8
Davidson	          17-6	  50	 230
URI	               17-6	  63	 196
La Salle	          15-11	 74	  28
GW	                17-9	  86	 248
Richmond	          14-12	 88	  37
St. Bonaventure	   13-11	139	 332
Saint Joseph’s	    11-13	166	 143
George Mason	       7-17	224	  25
Saint Louis	        9-16	232	 270
Fordham	            7-16	234	 177
Duquesne         	  7-16	253	 273
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i see Davidson as 55 not 50 http://www.udpride.com/images/rpi.htm
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So we only jumped a few spots after the win last night?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:So we only jumped a few spots after the win last night?
Regardless, we know what we need to do. Take care of business on the court and the RPI will take care of itself.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote:So we only jumped a few spots after the win last night?
RPI is 25% W/L, 50% SOS 25% Opponent's SOS.

When it comes to wins, you get .7 for a home win, 1.3 for a road win.

75% of your RPI is out of your control, sans scheduling. All you can do is affect the W/L. A home win against a top 50 helps a little - but a home loss would tank you.

Again. The RPI is not going to be a factor unless we run the table and find ourselves playing on March 15th.

If we win the conference this season (which should be our goal, and a very attainable one) - we are put on the big board on selection sunday - and then we are team where you list reasons we should be taken off. If you don't win the conference regular season, you're in a pool with everyone else and you become a team where people have to argue why you should be put on.

I would prefer, and what is looking like a very good possibility, that we just win the A10 tourney and not have to sweat at all.

Just win. It seems we're doing a pretty good job of that.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

A road win next week @Lasalle will do more for our RPI than last night...just keep taking 1 game at a time and put us in a good position to make a run for A10 tournament...this team should fear nobody in A10
Clapton is God
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

twisted, I use the liverpi site which I find is updated more frequently than the UD site you are using and as of 5:59 AM, Davidson is at #50.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

gorhody89 wrote:A road win next week @Lasalle will do more for our RPI than last night...just keep taking 1 game at a time and put us in a good position to make a run for A10 tournament...this team should fear nobody in A10
Agreed - I don't remember a time where we could say - "yeah, but they haven't played us yet." Awesome to have an identity and be feared.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'll fully admit to not understanding the ins and outs of the RPI formula, though I do get the basics. Regardless, agreed that it won't matter much in the long run.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

In past years, I recall the NCAA tournament committee saying that if a team is hot at the end of the season, it will help override weakness in RPI. If we win out the season (yes, I know that's a big if) but lose to VCU in the A10 tournament, wouldn't we still be strongly considered?
Slava Ukraini!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

well winning out and losing to VCU would mean at least a share of the regular season title and then a loss in the championship game. I you think that would get us in
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We had VCU down most of the game, when they were at full strength.
I think playing them in Brooklyn brings a different result.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

The NCAA tournament committee no longer looks at how you finished in the final 10 games. You are correct that years ago that was something that they looked at but that has been de-emphasized and I believe for the better. The committee is correct to look at a team's entire body of work. However, just by the nature of the RPI, if you struggle in your last 10 games your RPI would drop considerably.

As stated, just win the games and everything else will fall into place.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I've posted the NCAA selection sheet on here from BBState - this is the Deep RPI - which gives a good look at what goes into it:

http://www.bbstate.com/teams/URI/deeprpi/15

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Here's another good site that I know others have shared in the past. It's worth another mention:

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basket ... acketology
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Here's another good site that I know others have shared in the past. It's worth another mention:

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/rhode-island-rams/bracketology
Now that we're back to looking too far ahead (guilty!), interesting to note that this site rates our odds of making the NCAA's at 90% if we get to 24 wins. That would equal winning out plus 1 tournament win, or 4-1+2 tournament wins. I think that most of us would concur with that assessment. At 23 wins, odds plummet to 48%.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If we win out we'd be in pretty solid shape I think. Monitor these teams progress.
Last Four Byes
Cincinnati
LSU
UCLA
Illinois
Last Four In
Stanford
St. John's
NC State
Boise State
First Four Out
Purdue
Davidson
Tulsa
Oregon
Next Four Out
Miami
BYU
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I love that you can go back and look at previous calculations. For example, by beating UMass our chances of earning an at-large jumped 7%.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I don't care about % likelihood projection. Only thing that matters is Selection Sunday, not February 19th.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I don't care about % likelihood projection. Only thing that matters is Selection Sunday, not February 19th.
Great handle.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It was mentioned in the Hampshire Daily Gazette piece on the URI-UMass game that UMass and PC have renewed/extended their even home and home series. This should help each team's future RPI rankings and eliminate one less OOC game that needs to be scheduled.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree with one game at a time. I am going to assume we beat GM.
Next Weds we need to crush Davidson like we did to UMass.
Dispose of Davidson next Weds. Put another team behind us.
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote:I agree with one game at a time. I am going to assume we beat GM.
Next Weds we need to crush Davidson like we did to UMass.
Dispose of Davidson next Weds. Put another team behind us.
We lost to St Joes. Never assume anything.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I;m sick of announcers like the ones tonight doing the
St. Joe's- Dayton game, that Davidson is somehow there with VCU and Dayton, but
we're not mentioned.
I hope we put an end to this talk next Wednesday.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Looking at Davidsons schedule, I have no idea why they are mentioned before us.
GO RAMS
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

It is kind of amazing how good Davidson is right now. I just threw out my Athlon and Libby's CBB previews and they had Davidson picked dead last and second to last in the A-10.
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I love the way Davidson runs its half-court sets. Watching them play Dayton, the looked like Pete Carril's Princeton offense, but at warp speed.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:I love the way Davidson runs its half-court sets. Watching them play Dayton, the looked like Pete Carril's Princeton offense, but at warp speed.
I hope no one overlooks taking care of Mason this weekend - but I am really excited to see a great halfcourt offense play a phenomenal defense.

It's nice that defense usually tends to win these matchups :-D

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

What happened to GW? They seemed very secure for an NCAA bid a few weeks ago with a great overall record (16-4) and top 25 win over Wichita State. They have since lost five of their last six and now are 17-9 with an RPI of #87. They lost little from last year's team and much was expected for this season.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

CFL is giving Neil Diamond advice on how to finish a season.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:What happened to GW? They seemed very secure for an NCAA bid a few weeks ago with a great overall record (16-4) and top 25 win over Wichita State. They have since lost five of their last six and now are 17-9 with an RPI of #87. They lost little from last year's team and much was expected for this season.
I said in the other thread, they appear to have quit or gone into a coma in mid-January. Seems like some people have been late to realize it, but that team is dead.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

It just shows how important who you play non conference is even if you lose. I sure hope we can schedule some better teams next year, although it will be tough as we are on the radar now
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:What happened to GW? They seemed very secure for an NCAA bid a few weeks ago with a great overall record (16-4) and top 25 win over Wichita State. They have since lost five of their last six and now are 17-9 with an RPI of #87. They lost little from last year's team and much was expected for this season.
I said in the other thread, they appear to have quit or gone into a coma in mid-January. Seems like some people have been late to realize it, but that team is dead.
They have played a tough last six games (@VCU, @URI, Dayton, @Duquense, VCU, Davidson) but losing five was not expected for a veteran team. They inexplicably lost big at Duquense and their only win was in OT at home vs Dayton. They still have @Richmond, SBU, @Davidson, @GMU, and UMass.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Despite wins over UMass and George Mason, the Rhody RPI advanced only 4 positions from last week reflecting continuing losses among OOC opponents and the playing a low RPI team in GMU. URI’s destiny continues to rest with the team and the upcoming Davidson game is the perfect chance to demonstrate that fact .

The conference RPI remains #7 among all conferences. Within the A-10, VCU retains the highest rating at #12, while Duquesne has the lowest at # 236. La Salle and GW had the worst week and both teams saw double digit drops in RPI. For GW this was the second consecutive bad week and the Colonials losing 4 straight games and six of last seven jeopardizes any possible post season play. Playing well in conference tournament is now GW's only chance at redemption.

A summary of relevant RPI positions:

As of Week #16 – 02/23/15

Opponent	        RPI         Change*                   Performance of Past Week

Kansas	            1         Stable         Road loss at West Virginia, home win over TCU.
Providence	       22         Up 1	        Road win at DePaul.
Georgia Tech       110         Up 6           Home win over Clemson, road loss to#15 North Carolina.    
Nebraska	        125         Down 12        Road loss at Maryland, home loss to Iowa.
Santa Clara 	    192         Up 4           Road loss to Pepperdine, road win over Loyola Marymount.
Detroit	         207         Up 21          Road loss at Green Bay, road win over Youngstown State. 
Delaware State	  227         Down 13	     Home loss to Coppin State, road win over Hampton. 
Brown              242         Down 7         Home loss to Coumbia, home win over Cornell.
UMass-Lowell       270         Down 10        Home win over Maine, home loss to UNH.
Southern Miss	   310         Stable         Road losses to Old Dominion and Charlotte.

VCU	              12         Stable         Home wins over Saint Louis and UMass.
Dayton	           34         Down 4         Home win over Saint Joseph’s, road loss at Duquesne.
UMass	            35         Down 1         Road losses to URI and VCU.
Davidson	         53         Up 4           Road win over GW, home win over Fordham.
Rhode Island	     63         Up 4           Home win over UMass, road win over George Mason.
Richmond	         76         Up 27          Road win over St. Bonaventure, home win over GW.
La Salle	         90         Down 22        Home win over Duquesne, road loss at Saint Louis.
GW	               92         Down 18        Home loss to Davidson, road loss to Richmond.
St. Bonaventure	 127         Down 2         Home loss to Richmond, road win at Saint Joseph’s.
St. Joseph’s	    193         Down 23        Road loss at Dayton, home loss St. Bonaventure.
Saint Louis	     220         Up 17	       Road loss at VCU, home win over Saint Joseph’s.
George Mason       224         Down 24        Home losses to Fordham and URI. 
Fordham	         233         Up 18          Road win over George Mason, road loss at Davidson.
Duquesne	        236         Up 11          Road loss at La Salle, home win over Dayton.

*From previous week
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Those are some UGLY numbers from the OOC schedule.

What stands out though, is that we lost to the top 3 RPI teams on that list.

And the GT loss is now considered a bad loss, along with the St. Joe's loss.

However, we escaped Fordham and Duquesne by a point. I guess that balances the ledger.

We are where we should be, imo.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man is right again, when he said we're not likely to get an at-large bid. If we're right on the cut line, I'm not going to get my hopes up too high, only to come crashing down.

I mean, our OOC was crap. We beat NO-BODY. Our best non conf win was against 125 RPI Nebraska?

Ouch. Ouch. Owie. It doesn't matter that some of our OOC opponents had worse years than expected.

We have to win or share the conf title, and get to the final in NY to have any chance. Also, we had better hope that we play a team that's already in, in that game, or we'll likely get left out if we lose it.

The committee isn't going to be impressed with our early season. Too bad they don't use the last 10 games as a factor anymore, that would have really helped us.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

On the flip side we could be and many may argue should be 14-0 in conference.

We thought Providence was a bad loss but they have come on to have a decent season. Ga Tech was a bad loss but they are in a BCS conference. We played KS ok at least the final score was not an embarrassment.

Guess all this RPI stuff bothers me and I think this club is deserving of more respect. Doesn't really matter anyway, just win.

Easy Peezy!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think people are frustrated with the RPI, because this team has been playing like an NCAA tourney team for the last few games.

We are vastly improved from those OOC days. Even the 1st half of the conference season.

There's no doubt we could play right now with most of the 64 [68] teams who will get in.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We are playing like an NCAA team. But it took awhile with the new players getting up to speed. I really think we have it in us to win the A10 tournament. Take it out of the committees hands and take the bid ourselves.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Who ever thought PC was a bad loss? GTech is 110 in RPI, wouldnt call that a bad loss either....to me a bad loss is 150 RPI or greater.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

You're crazy if you ever considered PC on the road as a bad loss. Missed opportunity for us though, that's for sure. PC was always projected to be a top of the Big East, tournament team. GTech could be helping out it's cause tonight BAR, even against a Chris Jones-less Louisville team.

St. Joe's is the only bonafide bad loss that we have right now. Don't see them doubling that up on us on Senior Night.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The URI RPI fell 5 positions with the loss to Davidson. The loss to Davidson was not only heart-breaking in how it played out, but more importantly, it was a missed opportunity for the Rams to advance their Dance credentials. Apart from winning the next two games, URI is faced with taking the A-10 tourney to break the NCAA drought. It is 1999 all over again.

If you need further evidence of the importance of the SOS in the RPI model, just compare Richmond and URI. URI beat the Spiders on their Robins home court, the Rams have five less losses than Richmond, and have two less conference losses, but Richmond has a slightly better RPI. This difference derives from Richmond’s better OOC SOS at 135 versus URI at 204 and the fact that Richmond is 2-3 versus teams in the Top 50 and the Rams are 0-5.

The conference RPI remains #7 among all conferences. Within the A-10, VCU retains the highest rating at #19, while Saint Louis has the lowest at # 254. Davidson had the best improvement in RPI over the week, moving up 18 positions.

A summary of relevant RPI positions:

As of Week #16 – 02/23/15

Opponent	        RPI         Change*                   Performance of Past Week

Kansas	            1         Down 1         Road loss at Kansas State, home win over Texas.
Providence	       22         Stable	      Road loss at Villanova, home win over Marquette.
Georgia Tech       121         Down 11        Home loss to Louisville, road loss to Clemson.    
Nebraska	        123         Up 2           Road loss Ohio State.
Detroit	         197         Up  10         Home win over Valparaiso. 
Santa Clara 	    207         Down 15        Home win over Pacific, home win over St. Mary’s.
Delaware State	  232         Down 5	      Road loss to Norfolk State, home loss to MD - E. Shore. 
Brown              248         Down 6         Home win over Penn,  home loss to Princeton.
UMass-Lowell       265         Up 5           Road loss to Stony Brook.
Southern Miss	   293         Up 17          Home wins over UTSA and UTEP.

VCU	              19         Down 7         Away loss to Richmond, home loss to Dayton.
Dayton	           29         Up 5           Home win over George Mason, road win at VCU.
Davidson	         35         Up 18          Road win over URI, home win over GW.
UMass	            63         Down 28        Home loss to Saint Joseph’s, home win over Fordham.
Richmond	         65         Up 11          Home win over VCU, road win over Saint Joseph’s.
Rhode Island	     68         Down 5         Home loss to Davidson, road win over La Salle.
GW	               87         Up 5           Home win over St. Bonaventure, road loss to Davidson.
La Salle	        103         Down 13        Road loss to Fordham, home loss to URI.
St. Bonaventure	 119         Up 8           Road loss to GW, home win over Duquesne.
St. Joseph’s	    183         Up 10          Road win at UMass, home loss to Richmond.
George Mason       212         Up 12          Away loss at Dayton,  away win at Saint Louis.  
Fordham	         230         Up 3           Home win over La Salle, road loss at UMass.
Duquesne	        241         Down 5         Home win over Saint Louis, road loss at St. Bonaventure.
Saint Louis	     254         Down 34	     Road loss at Duquesne, home loss to George Mason.

*From previous week
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obs, in the last NIT projection, they have Richmond as a 3, and us as a 4 seed.

I can see why now, but I don't think that will hold.

We are better than them, but as of now....
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Who cares about the NIT right now?