Game #24: Massachusetts - Wednesday @ 7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #24: Massachusetts - Wednesday @ 7pm

Unread post by RF1 »

I liked that the players went over to the student section behind the north basket after the game was over. It was classy to acknowledge the student support.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I agree he doesn't seem to be hampered by his injury. Played GREAT defense on Lalanne all night, and did you see how he got up for the steal when they tried an entry pass over him? What a great play.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

RF1 wrote:I liked that the players went over to the student section behind the north basket after the game was over. It was classy to acknowledge the student support.
A UMass poster referenced being disappointed by hearing a disrespectful chant by our student section directed at Derrick Gordon during the 2nd half - I didn't hear anything, can anyone here remember that happening?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gil can be frustrating to watch sometimes, because he is obviously a talented player when he is locked in. Last night he was locked in. We are a much better team when he plays well. He brings a much different set of skills than the rest of the guys in our rotation.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

DanInAZ wrote:Great result! Got home in time to watch the second half (listened to 1st half on car ride home).

Why is it that when watching URI basketball games the sound of the crowd noise is turned down. It hurts setting an accurate and more attractive atmosphere for anyone watching the game on TV.

Flipped over to watch ASU/UCLA and Duke/NC after the URI game and it's a world of difference with the crowd noise actually coming across on the broadcast. Grrrrr. Pet Peeve.
I noticed the same thing. I had the first half of the game on in the background while I was feeding my son, and it sounded like there was nobody there. When I actually sat down to watch the second half, I was shocked at how packed the place was! Really does take away from the game experience for people watching on TV. Is there anyway to fix that?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote:
DanInAZ wrote:Great result! Got home in time to watch the second half (listened to 1st half on car ride home).

Why is it that when watching URI basketball games the sound of the crowd noise is turned down. It hurts setting an accurate and more attractive atmosphere for anyone watching the game on TV.

Flipped over to watch ASU/UCLA and Duke/NC after the URI game and it's a world of difference with the crowd noise actually coming across on the broadcast. Grrrrr. Pet Peeve.
I noticed the same thing. I had the first half of the game on in the background while I was feeding my son, and it sounded like there was nobody there. When I actually sat down to watch the second half, I was shocked at how packed the place was! Really does take away from the game experience for people watching on TV. Is there anyway to fix that?
Not sure what station you guys were watching on, but I thought the crowd sounded tremendous on TV and was actually one of the most enjoyable parts of the game to me. My first text to my dad (who was there) during the game was: "crowd sounds great."
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

TruePoint wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:

Not sure what station you guys were watching on, but I thought the crowd sounded tremendous on TV and was actually one of the most enjoyable parts of the game to me. My first text to my dad (who was there) during the game was: "crowd sounds great."
I was watching on SNY down here in NJ, and I thought the crowd noise on the broadcast was terrible. Or at the very least, it was muffled considerably.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Are there some UMass fans that didn't actually go to UMass and are just fans? There was a Umass fan in front of me in section 104, he was probably 45 years old, and could not have been very well educated. He was with his son, and every time RhodyJay would stand up with his signs the Umass fan would get up and start screaming at RhodyJay. I was thinking to myself "what is wrong with a URI season ticket holder standing and cheering for his team who are at HOME and beating the hell of their rival."

The fan was delusional and I have to think he was some trailer monger from Springfield.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:Interesting reading on the UMASS message board. 20 pages and counting for the URI Game Thread

http://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/view ... &start=285
They mad, bro? I hope they mad.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I wasn't able to make the game due to Ash Wednesday commitments. Sounds like it was a great atmosphere! I particularly liked one tweet from a UMass fan who wished they could get crowds like URI's. What a change! I'm really looking forward to next Wednesday.

Last edited by Rhody74 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

sf2010 wrote:A UMass poster referenced being disappointed by hearing a disrespectful chant by our student section directed at Derrick Gordon during the 2nd half - I didn't hear anything, can anyone here remember that happening?
I saw that post myself and couldn't remember hearing a disrespectful chant, but I was over in 310.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

sf2010 wrote:
RF1 wrote:I liked that the players went over to the student section behind the north basket after the game was over. It was classy to acknowledge the student support.
A UMass poster referenced being disappointed by hearing a disrespectful chant by our student section directed at Derrick Gordon during the 2nd half - I didn't hear anything, can anyone here remember that happening?
Ah my favorite thing - hypocrisy.

My favorite part of the night was when EC took a charge and then got kicked by the UMass player on the ground to the cheers of UMass fans, and only a simple foul call on the Minutemen. I'm excited to read about what they think "classy" means.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Ramulous wrote:Jared Terrell's 12 foot jumper to put us back up by double digits was a huge point in the game. He was fearless on that shot.
Not much to add that has not been said....

I am glad someone mentioned Terrell's shot . So much confidence to take that shot in that situation. What do you guys think Dan would have done if he missed it? Would he have yanked him or ridden it out? We will never know. When Terrell picked up 2 fouls in the first half and sat out his absence was really missed.

Even Reischel gave some solid minutes tonight.

I cannot recall so many traveling violations in a game (both called and not called)

Cannot believe Gil didn't have a foul called on him until the end of the game

I was in section 205...funny thing was I saw the guy next to me on his phone checking this board during the game! We exchanged a couple high fives.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

So from what I could glean reading that filth over on their board.

They're mad at some chant someone had about Gordon after he committed a hard foul on Hass on a breakaway. Fuck you. It's college basketball. You can't have delicate sensitivities on the road when you're scumbags at the Mullins Center (that is, when you show up, which is a rarity). You're big on cheap shots and throwing vodka in peoples faces, but then go crying to the cops when you get jacked in the face because someone was tired of your shit.

From "Rudy" who is most likely writing this post on a public library computer because his Springfield trailer park doesn't have wifi yet:

"Kid [Jared Terrell] from Weymouth considered BC, PC and URI (committed to Oklahoma State too) Never considered UMass. He can tear an MCL/ACL, I hope."

To you, my probably meth-addicted friend: you are cordially invited to go fuck yourself. Or have one of your "classy" team members do it for you.

Also, a lot of posts about Hurley getting all the calls, and having the refs in his pocket - lolwut. All in all maybe the funniest stuff on there.

There are a good amount of rational posters that would decry what Rudy said, and their board is a lot like ours - very active, a lot of knowledgable, level headed people...but then there's that drivel.

A lot of people blaming the loss on their 3rd center or whatever - damn. It's awesome to be on this side of things because I'm sure there were plenty of times that our board looked that bad to the outside.

A fair amount of posts about us just being the better team - which is true. If I'm being honest I'm shocked at where they are this year - I figured them to be a bottom half conference team after losing Chaz. They really have the make up of a Baron team - lot of athletes and runners - just no basketball IQ to make anything happen, and an easier team to game plan against late in the season.

As I rival though... I really hate them. Today just feels so, so, so, so, soooooo good.
Last edited by Blue Man 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I will say others jumped on him (Rudy) for his comment
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote: I noticed the same thing. I had the first half of the game on in the background while I was feeding my son, and it sounded like there was nobody there. When I actually sat down to watch the second half, I was shocked at how packed the place was! Really does take away from the game experience for people watching on TV. Is there anyway to fix that?
I was watching on SNY down here in NJ, and I thought the crowd noise on the broadcast was terrible. Or at the very least, it was muffled considerably.
I don't know about the volume but the important thing is that it was obvious the crowd was loud. At some points you couldn't hear the announcers over the students' chants. Maybe CSNNE was different, although I'd assume they used the same feed.
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

For the first time in many, many years, I walked out of the Ryan Center into that lovely snow with nothing to moan, groan or bitch about. I am so Happy.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Ashcat wrote:For the first time in many, many years, I walked out of the Ryan Center into that lovely snow with nothing to moan, groan or bitch about. I am so Happy.
Talk about a change in culture. :D

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

What a good win!!! Looked good here in ATL with some non Rhody people who were very impressed! Wondered how we lost to GT.

Hate to be gloom and doom but WTF EC? 6 TOs including that one where he got the inbound pass after a umass basket at the FT line then proceeds to go backward and dribble out of bounds on the baseline??!! Other teams are keying on this and he is getting worse. Time for the wrap the balls in shopping bags drill like he posted before he enrolled here!
Other than that glaring issue, I even love Gil again!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I said it last night but I don't care I'm going to say it again, Gil was fantastic last night. It doesn't all show in the box score either.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The two freshman: 27 pts., 9 assists, 2 turnovers........growing up quickly!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote:The two freshman: 27 pts., 9 assists, 2 turnovers........growing up quickly!
I'm sorry but those just aren't freshman anymore. Everyone knew what we were getting with Terrell - but was there a more underrated player in the COUNTRY than Jarvis Garrett?

He was barely a top 100 prospect at his position - and honestly, if you watch enough basketball - there's not many PG's at any experience level I would take over Jarvis 80% through his freshman year. Never mind where his ceiling lies.

He's been the fastest player on the floor with 95% of the games he's played. His handle is on some And-1 mixtape shit. He sees the floor extremely well. His instincts are phenomenal. His motor is always high. He plays incredible defense. Now, he's figuring out his shot.

He gets better every game. A lot of people say a team needs bigs, but show me a team that has ever gone anywhere without a great PG.

This kid is the real deal.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Where's GBG?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ashcat wrote:For the first time in many, many years, I walked out of the Ryan Center into that lovely snow with nothing to moan, groan or bitch about. I am so Happy.
When I walked out I said to my son and brother: Now, I believe.
Very impressive butt kicking of a good team.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Me too Ashcat...me too. And yeah Garrett was definitely WAY underrated. I was so happy when he committed. I seriously cannot believe his improvement since the beginning of the season. I knew he would be the backbone of this team going forward. Imagine how scary this team the next few years?
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Don't ask me why, but I read the entire URI thread on the Umass board, and the one thing that stood out was their bitching about the officials. It sounded just like me sitting at the game, and it was a little depressing. My poor wife has to listen to me at every game complaining about the officials, when are opponents and their fans are doing the same. ( I have to believe that travelling was the favorite call in the first half last night.) Has the officiating gotten that bad or are we just looking through different glasses?
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Best part about a good win is I don't have to listen about how much we miss having _____.
Clapton is God
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

RAM67 wrote:Has the officiating gotten that bad or are we just looking through different glasses?
A few reasons: (1) officials are an easy target to blame, (2) most A10 officials are not consistent, which is the most important factor in being good, (3) different glasses. Umass fans behind me were complaining all night, and we obviously heard how the crowd (and Dan) reacted to some questionable calls on our end, too.
Go Rhody!
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I am also very surprised on Umass's improvement since the beginning of the season. I witnessed their beatdown at the dunk this year and have watched some of their other games throughout the season. They have found their identity in a post Chaz world.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What was great was to watch CBSSports Inside Basketball and
hear Mateen Cleeves and company talking about Martin,Terrell, EC and showing
highlights of the game.
I just got on here, but did anyone mention Terrell making the Dean's list?
Terrific!
I so like this team.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote:What was great was to watch CBSSports Inside Basketball and
hear Mateen Cleeves and company talking about Martin,Terrell, EC and showing
highlights of the game.
I just got on here, but did anyone mention Terrell making the Dean's list?
Terrific!
I so like this team.
I hadn't heard that about Terrell - brains and brawn. Holy shit what a crew Dan has assembled. Not an unlikeable guy on this squad. In Dan we trust - and to think that 4 months ago people (myself included) wrongly thought we were screwed without _______. Welp, again - Dan was right all along.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

They also gave a shoutout to Biruta on SNY last night for his academics and specifically mentioned his GPA. Great seeing that kind of stuff mentioned.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Just wanted to stop by and thank EVERYONE for that atmosphere last night.

The volume level was blistering for virtually the entire game. Students showed up in force & all the rest of the fans were equally enthusiastic.

Looking forward to replicating it next Wednesday for the Pink Out vs. Davidson.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

URIGONZO wrote:Are there some UMass fans that didn't actually go to UMass and are just fans? There was a Umass fan in front of me in section 104, he was probably 45 years old, and could not have been very well educated. He was with his son, and every time RhodyJay would stand up with his signs the Umass fan would get up and start screaming at RhodyJay. I was thinking to myself "what is wrong with a URI season ticket holder standing and cheering for his team who are at HOME and beating the hell of their rival."

The fan was delusional and I have to think he was some trailer monger from Springfield.
Trailer monger!!! HAHAHA That sounds about right. I recall at Barclays Center last year for the A10's, there was the same level of creature you're referring to doing the SAME thing.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

The projo pic group shot of Terrell hugging EC is awesome
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It was also nice to see Kuran Iverson with his arm around
teammates during timeouts.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Great to listen to a special edition of the post-game show with guests:

Chris DiSano
Jared Terrell
Jarvis Garrett

http://downloads.iheartradio.com/media/ ... 297744.mp3
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

EZBuckets wrote:Just wanted to stop by and thank EVERYONE for that atmosphere last night.

The volume level was blistering for virtually the entire game. Students showed up in force & all the rest of the fans were equally enthusiastic.

Looking forward to replicating it next Wednesday for the Pink Out vs. Davidson.
EZ: great job as usual. Loudest crowd of the year.
Someone mentioned to me that so much time is spent during timeouts on contests and promotions, with all the students just standing there quietly, couldn't we work in some chants in there to get the place hopping?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote:This was my favorite post over on the UMass Board thread:
Re: Game 26, 2014-15: at Rhode Island

Postby TheInsider » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:31 am
Honestly i think what sucks the most is URI will clearly be a league favorite for the next few years....
but we're not rivals....
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Had a blast watching the game with skwalk47 at Magoun's last night. I was also chatting with TruePoint. Hoping to meet somewhere in the general Boston vicinity (either in town or just outside) for the game at Dayton on the 3rd. Stay tuned for anyone in the area.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

steviep123 wrote:
RF1 wrote:This was my favorite post over on the UMass Board thread:
Re: Game 26, 2014-15: at Rhode Island

Postby TheInsider » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:31 am
Honestly i think what sucks the most is URI will clearly be a league favorite for the next few years....
but we're not rivals....
Yeah, rivals….
Not at the Michigan-Ohio State, Duke-UNC, Kentucky-Louisville, Pats-Jets, Yankees-Red Sox, Bruins-Canadiens LEVEL…
AND CERTAINLY NOT
PC-URI
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

cant be said enough how DH has created a culture and brand for URI hoops. The team seems like they truly care, pull for and support each other. From the guys playing 35 minutes down to those that dont see the floor. Through ups and downs Biggie and Reischel have real roles and are contributing. TJ is TJ and he always has played to a role. And the core 4 are the stars and growing with each game. Nothing but Keaney Blue skies ahead for this program and fan base. Let's enjoy it!! No Sleep Til Brooklyn.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Biggie went from starter, to sharing the PG duties, to strictly a backup PG. He has not played well in last two games in that role.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

Koch has done a great job since coming over from the Independent. Didn't realize he was as young as he is too hopefully he builds something solid for URI basketball over there at PROJO
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote:Had a blast watching the game with skwalk47 at Magoun's last night. I was also chatting with TruePoint. Hoping to meet somewhere in the general Boston vicinity (either in town or just outside) for the game at Dayton on the 3rd. Stay tuned for anyone in the area.

Were there actually any people there in that MA bar to cheer on their state university (UMass-Amherst) or was it just Rhody fans?
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Question for EZ Buckets.......did you hear anything derogatory from our crowd directed at Derrick Gordon ? From far away I couldn't hear anything derogatory.....could have been a rogue fan or two if it happened....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Ramulous wrote:Question for EZ Buckets.......did you hear anything derogatory from our crowd directed at Derrick Gordon ? From far away I couldn't hear anything derogatory.....could have been a rogue fan or two if it happened....
I know the students booed loudly when Gordon committed a hard foul...but there were no cheers or derogatory remarks of any kind. And believe me...if I ever heard any sort of nonsense I would have shut it down immediately. There's zero room for that.

Methinks the UMass fans were hearing things....