Game #24: Massachusetts - Wednesday @ 7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #24: Massachusetts - Wednesday @ 7pm

Unread post by theblueram »

PeterRamTime wrote:The I believe chant is annoying. Especially since we are favored to win. It's just really annoyingly cliche to me at this point.
But if everybody there likes it and gets them riled up then I'm all for it.
When UMass comes out on the court everybody should start gagging.

Or literally throw up.
Favored? by vegas? we haven't beaten these assholes in years. I think the students need a chant that gets the place rockin. This is one of them.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:Kay Adams married Michael Corleone.
Heidi Watney for me.
Yes, but we are not talking about Diane Keaton. This is her namesake (no way that is her name by accident).

"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Heidi Watney for me.
Heidi Watney is probably the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in person.

Also, I don't see how the I Believe chant is played out. Besides, there's nothing more played out than Seven Nation Army, and people on this board were thrilled when we became the 927th sports team to feature it.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Heidi Watney for me.
Heidi Watney is probably the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in person.

Also, I don't see how the I Believe chant is played out. Besides, there's nothing more played out than Seven Nation Army, and people on this board were thrilled when we became the 927th sports team to feature it.

Seven Nation Army is sooooo played out as well. So brutal.

They should play 'Higher Ground' by TNGHT when doing the players enter the court from the locker room and during introductions but what do I know. Under Armour used the song in a commercial a year ago. Good pump up song and not (yet) played out.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I knew I liked you, RR2. Heidi Watney has a very strange gig with
MLB Network.
They shoot her from a distance, and you never see her close up, which
is a waste.
Sam Ponder is pretty hot, too.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My favorite coming out song is Phil Collins In the Air Tonight.
Bruins used it in the playoffs during their Cup run year and the year after.
"I can feel it coming in the air tonight. I've been waiting for this moment for all my life.."

Another idea is to get a big URI flag and pass it overhead around the first level. Starting and ending with the student sections (again something they do at Bruins' playoff games during the come out song).

Lastly, I like a live shot of the team getting ready to come on the floor instead of the pretaped video every game. Some teams even show the team in the locker room.
“We will be good when we are good.”
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Hard to believe that song was released 12 years ago. Played out indeed, especially when 95% of college arenas use it. Could be worse though. PC fans have copied the Izzone's "YES!" chant during free throws. I'm not a WWE guy, but I guess it originates there. Izzone started using it last season, I give them credit for originality (in the basketball world). Also, any chance to hate on PC, I'll take it with open arms.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Springsteen's "American Land" is a high energy, hand clapping, foot stomping song.

Last edited by Billyboy78 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Springsteen's "American Land" is a high energy, hand slapping, foot stomping song.

Dear I hear the beer flows from the faucets all night long, there's treasure for the taking for any hard working man, when you make your home in the American land......
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Also, I don't see how the I Believe chant is played out. Besides, there's nothing more played out than Seven Nation Army, and people on this board were thrilled when we became the 927th sports team to feature it.
^^^^^^ This.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It doesn't sound like the game will sell out. We haven't had a bona fide sellout this year.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Nebraska?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:It doesn't sound like the game will sell out. We haven't had a bona fide sellout this year.
If those back rows in the 300 sections are not sold, and I'm guessing they are not, there are close to 2000 seats left. And that's not counting all of the student sections. I'm hoping they will all be full though.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

There will be a legit walk-up sale today.

Anyone have access to digital Projo edition to see the Ad for the game there? There were supposed to be digital billboards up in Providence on the interstate, as well as a variety of TV commercials on some of our partner networks like WPRI, FoxProvidence, and distributed through FiOS and Cox.

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

BPR2010 wrote:Hard to believe that song was released 12 years ago. Played out indeed, especially when 95% of college arenas use it. Could be worse though. PC fans have copied the Izzone's "YES!" chant during free throws. I'm not a WWE guy, but I guess it originates there. Izzone started using it last season, I give them credit for originality (in the basketball world). Also, any chance to hate on PC, I'll take it with open arms.
PC doesnt chant "YES" during free throws. The last two home games they have stsrted the chant during TOs by showing Daniel Bryan on the scoreboard. If you are going to take a shot; know what youre talking about.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Just an FYI:

The TEAM selected Seven Nation Army, the Drake song played as they enter the court & their intro music for the season.

I don't care how "overplayed" a song is...if our boys want to hear it to get them pumped before tipoff...who are we to judge?

Also, good thing our crowd is often late arriving...I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the team's pre-game hardcore rap playlist :lol: :lol:

I'll see you all tonight!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

To me, tonight's game is the ultimate barometer of how good we really are.

Is it going to be just a tease? Or are we a legit contender for the league title and an NCAA berth?

All will be answered tonight. I know it's just one game, but it's the biggest game of the year.

Win it, and we're on our way. Lose it, and it's wait until next year, to take that next step.

Yes, we still could make the NIT or even get hot and run the table in NY even with a loss tonight. But I like our chances a lot better if we were to win tonight.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Unless they dress the sideline reporters in bikinis (or less), they're completely useless. If they're there only as eye candy, then drop the charade and just have them stand silently in front of the camera for 60 seconds.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

One day I want to live in a world where on game day we are checking the Ryan Center seating chart hoping that there ARE still a few tickets available to scoop up for additional friends or family instead of counting available seats and hoping there AREN'T anymore avaialble for big games.

Someday, bros. I know it. It's coming soon.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:There will be a legit walk-up sale today.

Anyone have access to digital Projo edition to see the Ad for the game there? There were supposed to be digital billboards up in Providence on the interstate, as well as a variety of TV commercials on some of our partner networks like WPRI, FoxProvidence, and distributed through FiOS and Cox.

\

Good job by athl. dept. to get some copy out for the game, but should mention the two teams are tied for first!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:
BPR2010 wrote:Hard to believe that song was released 12 years ago. Played out indeed, especially when 95% of college arenas use it. Could be worse though. PC fans have copied the Izzone's "YES!" chant during free throws. I'm not a WWE guy, but I guess it originates there. Izzone started using it last season, I give them credit for originality (in the basketball world). Also, any chance to hate on PC, I'll take it with open arms.
PC doesnt chant "YES" during free throws. The last two home games they have stsrted the chant during TOs by showing Daniel Bryan on the scoreboard. If you are going to take a shot; know what youre talking about.
I haven't the foggiest idea what either of you are talking about. Who the hell is Daniel Bryan? And what is a "YES!" chant?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There's going to be a really big student turnout tonight. Maybe close to 2500.

That will get the place rocking, and will more than make up for the empty seats at the top of the arena.

Like was just said, sellouts are coming. Win tonight and Saturday, and maybe even as early as next Wednesday against Davidson.

We're not going to see many sellouts, until after we make the NCAA tournament. It's a fact of life here in little Rhody.
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

TruePoint wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:
I haven't the foggiest idea what either of you are talking about. Who the hell is Daniel Bryan? And what is a "YES!" chant?
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

EZBuckets wrote:Just an FYI:

The TEAM selected Seven Nation Army, the Drake song played as they enter the court & their intro music for the season.

I don't care how "overplayed" a song is...if our boys want to hear it to get them pumped before tipoff...who are we to judge?

Also, good thing our crowd is often late arriving...I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the team's pre-game hardcore rap playlist :lol: :lol:

Hah. Fair enough on SNA if the team picked it, but I agree that one's been run into the ground at this point. That Drake song comes off a bit awkward IMO, with the oddly timed beat and Drake's...lyrical ability. It's also overwhelmingly loud. Heard multiple people around me commenting on that. Doesn't bother me but it's actually really funny to watch the older crowd bob their heads to it.

+1 for Higher Ground by TNGHT, perfect intro song. Would love to hear that one played at some point.

Last edited by HobbyBurley 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

rambone 78 wrote:
Yes, we still could make the NIT or even get hot and run the table in NY even with a loss tonight. But I like our chances a lot better if we were to win tonight.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
I am surprised people are worried about an NIT berth at this point. If you check out some of the NIT bracketology sites you will see URI as high as a 4 seed and as low as 6. I'd say as long as we win 4 more games the rest of the year then we are a lock. Either 3-3 rest of regular season and a win in Brooklyn or 4-2 and no wins in Brooklyn. Seems very probable
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

HobbyBurley wrote:
Wow that was dumber than I would have guessed. I still don't get WHY this is a thing, though?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Regarding sellouts....how the hell does this game not sell out when the Nebraska game did? Our #1 A10 rival, playing for first place, fairly late in the season. You would think that with the number of people coming from Amherst, it would sell out. Anyway, let's hope for at least 7000, with students and walk-ups.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Regarding sellouts....how the hell does this game not sell out when the Nebraska game did? Our #1 A10 rival, playing for first place, fairly late in the season. You would think that with the number of people coming from Amherst, it would sell out. Anyway, let's hope for at least 7000, with students and walk-ups.
Easy. Weekend game verse weekday. I haven't missed a home game on a weekend this season. I haven't been to a home game on a weekday, other than PC, since I was in law school. It is almost impossible for employed people further away than Providence to get to the Ryan Center on a weeknight. South County is going to have to carry the torch for these weeknight home games.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

EZBuckets wrote:Just an FYI:

I know Rod hates rap.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Regarding sellouts....how the hell does this game not sell out when the Nebraska game did? Our #1 A10 rival, playing for first place, fairly late in the season. You would think that with the number of people coming from Amherst, it would sell out. Anyway, let's hope for at least 7000, with students and walk-ups.
Easy. Weekend game verse weekday. I haven't missed a home game on a weekend this season. I haven't been to a home game on a weekday, other than PC, since I was in law school. It is almost impossible for employed people further away than Providence to get to the Ryan Center on a weeknight. South County is going to have to carry the torch for these weeknight home games.
But the exact opposite for students. All are here on a weekday night and many go home on the weekend.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

True, but I would expect a good student turnout tonight.
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
But the exact opposite for students. All are here on a weekday night and many go home on the weekend.
Yes but many see a Saturday night game as an oportunity to get really drunk. Not everyone is looking to get wasted on a Wednesday. If tonights game was this Saturday at 7 then we would see a sell out
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhody83 wrote:
gazakaza wrote:I'm getting so excited for tomorrow. I just need you guys to give me some more ideas for chants for the student section for tomorrow. Already planning the I Believe chant for right at the beginning of the game.
I like the idea of the fight song. It isn't very hard.
Blueman can help you lead it.

I'm Rhode Island born and Rhode Island bred
and when I die I'll be Rhode Island dead.
So go go Rhode Island, URI!
How about the old "YOU ARE URI, YOU ARE URI - URI!!"

Remember that one? The drum beat from the band is killer on that one...!
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Never stopped me when I was in school.

To me, every night was Saturday night back then.

To this day, how I graduated I'll never know.
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

Saturday night, Wednesday night....Does it really matter.....kids will get drunk any day, trust me :) START DRINKING EARLY, GET LUBED UP, GET LOUD, GO RHODY!!!!!!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

ATPTourFan wrote:There will be a legit walk-up sale today.

Saw it on a digital board on 195 heading into Providence the other day, didn't see it today though but I could have just missed it.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

EZBuckets wrote:The TEAM selected Seven Nation Army, the Drake song played as they enter the court & their intro music for the season.

I make it a point to get there early so I can hear 6 God :)
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cady Lalanne quoted in today's Springfield paper:
"I guess because they feel like it's a rivalry game. And I guess to them it is a rivalry game. To us, I don't really know if it's a rivalry game. It's just one of those games ....".
Lalane suggested the current state of the UMass-URI series has a lopsided feel to it.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Nebraska game was a full house, but not a bona fide sellout because 2700 students were allowed in, some 700 above the cap. Athletics made that decision as game time approached, since, by then, they knew the remaining seats would not be sold, so why not allow more students in. You wouldn't do that if you can sell those tickets because you're leaving $14K on the table with that move. This is the basic modus operandi of the ticket office and explains why you see more tickets available in one section from one day to the next. So for the Nebraska game the students essentially filled any remaining seats allocated for purchase. The number of students that show up is the great unknown. For Nebraska there was strong demand as over 300 students were turned away.

So in my opinion a bona fide sellout is 7,657 fannies in the seats and 2000 students and the sellout is known a day or two in advance of game. If - a big if - URI ever gets to regular sellouts, then look for the student cap to be reduced to 1500, the original plan number, and student tent cities make an appearance. That's the promised land.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

skwalk47 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
BornNBred33 wrote:For anyone from Massachusetts who is a bit to far away, the game will be airing on CSN new england. BOOOYA
Anyone want to meet up at a bar in the Boston area?
I'm game. Where are you thinking? I live in Arlington, not far from the Somerville and Cambridge lines, but I'm open to anywhere in the city or just outside.

Here's a potential list of places that I like and have watched plenty of Pats games:

Orleans (Davis Sq)
Olde Magoun's Saloon (Somerville)
Cask & Flagon (though I watched the first game this year, so it might be a jinx)
Scoreboards (Woburn)

But I'm totally open to suggestions.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

steviep123 wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Anyone want to meet up at a bar in the Boston area?
I'm game. Where are you thinking? I live in Arlington, not far from the Somerville and Cambridge lines, but I'm open to anywhere in the city or just outside.

Here's a potential list of places that I like and have watched plenty of Pats games:

Orleans (Davis Sq)
Olde Magoun's Saloon (Somerville)
Cask & Flagon (though I watched the first game this year, so it might be a jinx)
Scoreboards (Woburn)

But I'm totally open to suggestions.
I actually just moved from Somerville to West Medford so we are pretty close by. I feel like Olde Magouns would be a pretty good spot.
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Although if others were using public transportation maybe something in Davis or Porter (TITS) would work.
URI BS '08 MS '11

skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

One of the new spots over by Assembly might be good too. Plenty of parking and near the new Orange Line station. This place could be good: http://www.tonycssportsbar.com/
URI BS '08 MS '11

gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

Already got the social media presence going out on Twitter. If any students are on these boards just needs you guys to retweet to spread the word. We want this place packed!

https://twitter.com/GaZa_KaZa/status/568055841531826177
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

TruePoint wrote:
HobbyBurley wrote:
Wow that was dumber than I would have guessed. I still don't get WHY this is a thing, though?
TP, it originated with the football team actually. After they beat Ohio St. in the 2013 B1G title game, one of the linemen came out at halftime with the trophy and told all the students to do it. Not sure why, but it caught on as their FT chant for the opposing team. Any type of noise or commotion in unison is better than nothing in college.

Also Sean, my apologies. I saw a short clip during the local news and figured it was the same thing. Either way, I'm not a WWE guy. Have no idea why this is even a thing, I just think any unified chant in the college game is awesome, especially when you can get the entire lower bowl doing it at once.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:The Nebraska game was a full house, but not a bona fide sellout because 2700 students were allowed in, some 700 above the cap. Athletics made that decision as game time approached, since, by then, they knew the remaining seats would not be sold, so why not allow more students in. You wouldn't do that if you can sell those tickets because you're leaving $14K on the table with that move. This is the basic modus operandi of the ticket office and explains why you see more tickets available in one section from one day to the next. So for the Nebraska game the students essentially filled any remaining seats allocated for purchase. The number of students that show up is the great unknown. For Nebraska there was strong demand as over 300 students were turned away.

So in my opinion a bona fide sellout is 7,657 fannies in the seats and 2000 students and the sellout is known a day or two in advance of game. If - a big if - URI ever gets to regular sellouts, then look for the student cap to be reduced to 1500, the original plan number, and student tent cities make an appearance. That's the promised land.
Great explanation, Obie. It makes more sense now.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

skwalk47 wrote:One of the new spots over by Assembly might be good too. Plenty of parking and near the new Orange Line station. This place could be good: http://www.tonycssportsbar.com/
Any of those places will be good by me. Is anyone else on the board meeting other than me and skwalk?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

The Yes chant comes from Daniel Bryan, mentioned earlier. It's mentioned a bit in his Wiki page if you can be bothered to read through it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Bry ... .932014.29

"After winning WWE's World Heavyweight Championship, Bryan began shouting "Yes!" repeatedly on his way to the ring and after defeating an opponent. Danielson credits mixed martial arts fighter Diego Sanchez with the inspiration.[267][268] This chant grew in popularity, and has been even heard outside WWE events, at Major League Baseball, National Hockey League and National Basketball Association games,[268][269][270] and even at music concerts, in particular at Andrew W.K. concerts in both Glasgow and Manchester, UK.[271] After turning heel at the start of 2012, Bryan slowly turned against the fans and after WrestleMania 28 he began chanting "No!" instead of "Yes!" Bryan claimed that the fans were mocking him by chanting "Yes!" so he chanted "No!" back at them. This then further encouraged the crowd to chant "Yes!" at him to annoy him as he was a villain. Shortly after turning face, Bryan began saying "Yes!" again, but would still shout "No!" when in a negative situation or showing disdain towards a critique, which also involves crowd participation."
Last edited by HobbyBurley 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

TP must be living under a rock. Daniel Bryan (see below)
As for the rap garbage played during warmups,
BARF!
I get there when the doors open, to talk to people and
see who's moving well on the floor.
The music is terrible for anyone who grew up on The Beatles, Stones,
Clapton,Dylan, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac...you know songs with melodies and lyrics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I don't care if it's 7657 by way of 3000 students. Full house is full house. In time, there will be an increasing % of paid tickets in future "capacity crowds".

Let's call it that, if it makes people feel better. Anything that helps us win games and build a national brand is what I want. The paying customers will come later.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund