BubbleWatch and Top 25 Polls

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramsey
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: BubbleWatch and Top 25 Polls

Unread post by Ramsey »

hey guys just found this site, very excited to share my passion for rhody with the other die-hards out there.

Just wanted to pass along a couple thoughts.

Danny hurley went 25-6 at wagner and that team had some bad losses (at central ct st and home against Lehigh; plus 2 losses against long island but they won the conference reg season title that year) but the point is, if anybody remembers, they had one win at Pitt who was ranked #15th at the time. Well lets not forget that the Pitt team of 2011-2012 was a disaster going 5 and 13 in conference play and they went from a team ranked as high as #9 in the country to a team that went to the CBI and finished 22 and 17 overall. Oh yeah, entering that season, Ashton Gibbs the guard for Pitt, was chosen as the preseason big east player of the year.

Sound familiar??

Yep, they are Nebraska and Terran Petteway, just 4 years ago.

Well, the main point is, that Wagner team was the 2nd team left out of the tournament that year for an at-large berth.

We play in the Atlantic10 and even though its a down year, its still the 7th best conference in the country.

Anyone who thinks that we wont make it as an at-large if we go 8 and 0 the rest of the way, is probably too emotionally scarred from the past. I would venture to say that if Rhody goes 7 and 1
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ooops I just said "attack the bucket"

That speak we no longer use around these parts.....

:)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

jmck wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
adam914 wrote:http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

Rhode Island [16-5 (8-2), RPI: 57, SOS: 160] Judging solely by our Twitter feed, Rhode Island had the most popular support of the teams that failed to land on the Bubble Watch page last week. Rams fans are fired up, and understandably so: After a couple years in the post-Jim Baron wilderness, URI has a top-10 adjusted efficiency defense nationally and sits at 8-2 in league play. The offense leaves much to be desired. The Rams may have the A-10's stingiest defense, but only La Salle and Fordham are less efficient on the offensive end. Even so, the worst of URI's five defeats was to Georgia Tech on a neutral court back on Nov. 30. Its only conference defeats, to VCU and UMass, came by a combined nine points. A few close calls in the other direction (like single-digit wins over Duquesne, GW, Richmond, Fordham and St. Bonaventure), and we wouldn't be talking about URI at all. And yet, here we are. The schedule numbers make the margin for error awfully slim going forward, and Rhode Island needs a marquee win or two with few regular-season opportunities remaining. But Dan Hurley has a team worth watching, and an awfully fun story to boot.
Agree with the write up. The key point there is the "marquee win or two" that we need. We have a chance, maybe, for 1 marquee game remaining. We better pray that Dayton goes on a win streak through to our matchup. If we go 8-0 the rest of the way, we will be 23-5, with a very high SOS, and an RPI probably in the mid to high 30s. I just don't see that being good enough with only 1 top 50 win (I am assuming GW and Mass fall out of that top 50 category). We need 8-0 and a win or two in Brooklyn if we want to entertain an at-large.

We have a razor thin margin for error as everyone has pointed out, but everyone is getting too carried away with this talk right now. Why hasn't a bigger deal been made of the fact that we already have more wins this year than we did all of last season? JUST ENJOY THIS TIME!!!

Otherwise, buckle up down the stretch for what will be fun - and let's go win Brooklyn!!

8-0 the rest of the way and we are in. When was the last time the outright regular season A10 champ didn't make the tourney?
This isn't last year's or 2 years ago's A10. This is a 3 bid league this year, maybe 4 depending on the champ in Brooklyn. The league overall had a minimal amount of wins against the power conferences. If memory serves me correct I'm not sure anyone outside of VCU and GW beat a top 25 team that is still ranked OOC? Our conference OOC schedule just wasn't what it was in the past.

Our "marquee" win would be a Dayton team probably in the mid 40s by selection time. That's not enough when you're going up against teams with top 25 wins.

SMU's weak OOC kept them out of the dance last year and they had a good computer number and top 25 wins.

We had only 3 games, Kansas, @PC, VCU, to get that win. We didn't. That's fine, we're so far ahead of where anyone could rationally expect us to be right now you can't even be mad. But I just don't want to see the board erupt into a dumpster fire if we go a very respectable 6-2 down the stretch, or 8-0 and lose in the first round of the A10 tournament, and not get an at-large.

9 wins makes us a lock I think. I think. That's a ridiculously tall order when you see that we're playing 3 teams still fighting for a tournament, and 2 additional road games in places that are usually horror shops for us. 9 wins is either 8-0 and 1 win in the tourney, 7-1 and 2 wins in the tourney (providing a top 50 win), or 6-2 and win the 3 games for the A10 title.

We've been 38 in RPI and not been invited before. Just enjoy what we have right now!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If we go 6-2 we probably finish second...probably a tie. Unless we lose the first game of the tourney, the A10 would be shown no respect if we don't get in. Can you imagine a time when the regular season second place team doesn't make the tourney? How times have changed in only 1 year....
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We could get 5-6 more points a game, if we could somehow shoot over 70% from the FT line.

Except for the 20-22 game, we have left about a zillion points out there due to so many bricks from the stripe.

The other thing would be to make about 2 -3 more 3's per game. We get the looks, they just aren't falling. How many games have we even made close to 40% from 3? A couple?

Our offensive efficiency is good from inside the arc. That's it.

Blue Man, you've done it again! Winner, winner.....
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RiFan, if we don't win our next 4 games, there will be no more talk of an at large berth.

St. Joes, SLU, UMass, and GM all have to fall. The only game where we should win fairly easily, will be Sat. night against SLU.

We know tomorrow night we're up against it. UMass is a monster game. GM, being on the road, will most likely be a very close game. They have that 6-11 guy who will give us fits.

We have to pass all those tests. IF we do, then the bubble/NCAA talk can start in earnest. At that point, we might even be considered "in", but of course we still have to go at least 3-1 in our last 4.

Then, we have to win at least 2 in NY, or if we don't go 7-1, we have to win the tourney outright.

I'd put our chances of Dancing at about 20%, as of today. Way too long to go, to count any chickens.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The better focus right now is securing a top four finish in the A10. Get the double bye, and hope for a 3 game win streak.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

6-2 will do that, for sure.

Need 2 wins this week, and that's looking good.

That would also lock up an NIT bid.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

For those of us who think we're on the bubble right now, check out the bracket matrix website.

They have GW as first out [of 5], with 42 out of 80 brackets.

Davidson is in the next four out, with 7 out of 80 brackets.

URI has ONE bracket. Some guy [brac] who has us as a 9 seed, of all things.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I feel more strongly about their ability to win the A10 Championship than get an at-large. Just the way things fall. The VCU-Umass week had a huge impact on that. But I think this team can make a three day run at the tournament. (Although I reserve the right to change my mind if we win the next 4, in which case disregard this post)
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If URI wins seven more games, they'll have 23 wins total, and that's before the A-10 tournament. Assuming they get another win there, or actually go 8-0 to finish the year, that puts them at 24 or 25 wins. That's a pretty gaudy total for the A-10. I haven't looked at it in a couple years, but as of 2009, I don't think there was an Atlantic 10 team from 2002 to 2008 that didn't make the tournament if they posted 24 wins: http://sgreenwellsports.blogspot.com/20 ... -bids.html - UMass had 23 and didn't make it one year, but they also lost in the opening round of the Atlantic 10 tournament.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we win the league regular season, it will be hard to keep us out.

Just getting the bye won't guarantee anything.

We just don't have enough marquee wins. Even if we beat Dayton, I doubt that will get us in.

Getting to the final in NY might be enough, if we do get a bye.

Like I said, we have a lot of business to take care of first.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Rambone please stop with the same post over and over and over and over and over again. We get it you're a glass half empty guy and you think the DANCE is a long shot. We know how you feel. Please stop wasting space.

GO RHODY!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote:If we win the league regular season, it will be hard to keep us out.

Just getting the bye won't guarantee anything.

We just don't have enough marquee wins. Even if we beat Dayton, I doubt that will get us in.

Getting to the final in NY might be enough, if we do get a bye.

Like I said, we have a lot of business to take care of first.
At a certain point, even if your schedule isn't the world's greatest, posting a long winning streak is still indicative of team quality. Unless you're in a really small conference, like the Ivy or Sunbelt or something equivalent, it's hard to go something like 13-3 in conference play. In recent years, if you're in a mid-major and posted 23+ wins, you get serious consideration come tourney time. Yes, teams like St. Joe's and Fordham and St. Louis aren't worldbeaters, but it's still tough to string together a 7-1 or 8-0 record against middle of the road competition down the stretch, and teams that do are typically rewarded.

That being said! Obviously, I'm talking about a best-case scenario here. And obviously, the margin is razor thin. I think URI is probably in if they go 7-1 down the stretch, and win an A-10 tourney game. If they go 6-2 or worse, then they probably need to get the tournament autobid to feel safe.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SG, I think if they get the tournament autobid they would feel safe. But I agree......RAZOR THIN.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Ok I'll bite and play glass half full THE ANTI-RAMBONE. RPI Predictor says the RAMS RPI is 55 with 2 losses. A 55 RPI heading into the A-10 tourney then winning two games and reaching the finals of the A-10 should get the DANCE done for any A-10 team.

GO RHODY!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I would love to think so Brady. An RPI of 55 is not getting an at large bid. Not going to happen. As much as I love these Rams, I think Rambone is just trying to temper expectations. Justified at this point. We just don't have the resume yet.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't find any of Rambone's posts offensive.....he should continue to post what he wants.....it may be a defense mechanism to help us continue to win.....I would rather seanmc not post about how great pc and the big east is and how much more major they are than us and the A-10
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Once more and I'm done with this hypothetical. RPI Predictor has us at a 55 RPI before the tourney with 2 losses from here on in. That 55 RPI should drop with a run to the finals. Again any A-10 team that starts the A-10 tourney with a 55 RPI or better and gets to the finals should DANCE. Tempering expectations is great, repeating the same type post 30 time's is nauseating.

GO RHODY!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Brady, if you read all the posts here you would find I'm not the only one with that opinion.

Almost everyone feels the same way. Yes, I have said the same thing quite a few times. And many others have done the same.

I would love for us to make the Dance. Can we do it? Yes, it's possible, but not likely.

Like everyone else, I'm along for the ride. This is supposed to be fun. I'm treating it that way.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

It's possible but not likely. There is some water in that glass Rambone. Now that's so much better than we're doomed, we'll never make it, woe is me over and over and over. I agree with you we're all along for the ride and it is fun. Enjoy you're evening.

GO RHODY!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

The Glass is more than Half Full. ESPN currently have us as 7 th team out. (Ahead of Davidson)

We will be the favorites in all the games except Dayton, If all that holds form, we should be right there.

Let's remember we are not competing against the Kentucky's of the world, all schools that are just in or just out have "flaws" in their records and there can be arguments made pro and con for any of them.

I think, if we win the next 5, our end of season winning streak will mean something plus the "romance" of a 6'7 world class shot blocker and the young kids and the story of the Hurleys and rebuilding the dream etc etc give us an edge. This is different that CFL, we had to be better to get considered.

I believe that the glass is still filling!!!!

"If you believe hard enough, anything is possible" Ray Kroc
Ramsey
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramsey »

Im sorry but I just don't see the stark difference between the a10 and some of these higher-up conferences. Of course the top level teams might be better as a whole then our top-tier teams and I would agree that our bottom is lower then most in the high-major leagues; but I just disagree that the leagues in front of us are that much better. IDC that as of right now, Rhody only has a couple top100 rpi victories, that's dictated by numbers and numbers can be used to skew any point of view.

Lets look at the SEC. Sure we all know that Kentucky is #1 in the country, but that alone has carried the SEC to a loftier ranking then the rest of the league deserves.

Whos next best in that conference?? Arkansas is ranked 24th right now at 18-5. they have 8 games left and seem to be a lock for the tournament as there schedule isn't too difficult. However after that, there is a small group of bubble teams at best.

Texas A&M 16-6, Ole Miss 16-7, LSU 17-7 and Georgia 15-7 are the only teams with a chance. Normal contenders Florida 12-11 and Tennessee 13-9 are having tough years and are already out of the discussion. The biggest problem the SEC faces this year is the fact that the difference between the top teams behind Kentucky and the bottom teams in the conference (sans Mizzou at 7-16, 1-9 in conference) really isn't that big of a difference at all. They've all been beating each other up.

The point is, the four teams on the bubble right now, are all playing each other and 3 of them play Kentucky once more over their last 8 games. Ole Miss and Georgia both had 0-1 records against the a10 this year thanks to Dayton. if you assume that Kentucky is going to win the SEC tournament (id put the house on it) and use logical thinking and rpi projections, texas A&M and LSU would most likely be in with a record of 22-10. however, Ole Miss at 20-13 and Georgia at 19-12 both project to be right on the bubble.

Im sorry but if Rhody closes at 7-1 wins a game in the a10 then loses, theyd be 24-7. IDC what our strength of schedule is or what our top50 record is, we already know we can beat LSU as constituted right now. Id much rather see a 24-7 URI then either of the options from the SEC.

(of course as I write this, LSU goes on a 15-0 run to take the lead against Kentucky hahaha)

But this is the same throughout many of the other "High Major" conferences.

Its a down year for the A10 undoubtedly, but not that down.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True that. The Hurley name has some cache for sure, even though it's more Bobby.

As for the bubble, some name teams get in just because they are.

Teams like Michigan State. Izzo. Right now, there's quite a few, if you go strictly by the numbers, don't deserve a bid as of right now. Ohio State, another one.

But they will get in. Right or wrong.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Can someone please tell me why in the WORLD That Davidson is picked before us. They beat Dayton, and that's about it with some bad losses.
GO RAMS
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Ramsey, I might just be missing something. Why do "we already know we can beat LSU as constituted right now"? I'm not sure what the baseline for that is as we haven't played them this year. Not saying we can't, would just like to know your logic on that statement.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Dayton beat Georgia Tech not Georgia.
I think Rhody is as good as any of those bubble teams right now. We just don't have the strong wins to put us past the threshold as it stands now.
Dayton picked up a tough win over Saint Louis. Saved their butt. Good for them!
If them, VCU, GW and we can make the tournament that would be perfect.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Four bids for the A-10, this year?
Not happening.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with Rod, no way 4 bids unless something unforeseen happens over last 8 games. More likely 2 bids than 4. Best case for conference is 3 IMO and that likely requires a non favorite to win the tourney.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Lunardi just responded to a question on twitter about only having 2 A10 teams in his latest bracketology. He said likely more but top teams have to step up. Thin margin of error for the top 5 teams in the conference. Have to avoid the pitfalls of the bottom 4 which are all sub 200 RPI's.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i think 3 is realistic, 4 is dream scenario, 2 is nightmare
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Well I'm gonna predict right here that there will be four teams that are goin dancin from the A-10!
It's gonna happen. VCU, Dayton, George Washington and URI.
Of all of them we have the most to overcome to get there.
Don't care if I'm wrong, but I'll tell ya I told you so when it happens!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm with PRT! I don't see why those four teams can't get in, if they limit any loses the rest of the way to us, they should be fine and we should be fine :)

just for fun, let's say VCU drops two more, one to GW and one to Dayton, Dayton only loses the once more to us, we go 7-1 and GW wins out, we all get in. It could happen.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

For those who drink from glasses, wear glasses, and have an eye for a pair of glass slippers: The only guarantee is when the idiots put the name of the school on the board.
One game at a time, one goal.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Ramulous wrote:I don't find any of Rambone's posts offensive.....he should continue to post what he wants.....it may be a defense mechanism to help us continue to win.....I would rather seanmc not post about how great pc and the big east is and how much more major they are than us and the A-10
And I would prefer posters here not denigrate Dave Gavitt and equate PC with Al-Queda; but that's not likely to sto either. So how about you hitch up your big boy pants and deal with it princess?
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I have to agree. The Dave Gavitt stuff here was way out of line.
We should be better than that.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I can't imagine a scenario where the A10 gets only two teams in................that is being extremely pessimistic
- Last 7 years the minimum has been 3 teams with the last 3 years having 4,5 and a record 6 teams just last year!!
- A10 is currently ranked #7 in RPI which is as high as the conference has ever been ranked
- Added a 14th team in Davidson this year 2015
- RPI counts of course for teams but one of the most important factors is how a team does in the conference tournament
- Very important for URI to gain one of the first round conference tournament byes and to get good seeding in the conference tournament
- Most important to gain the NCAA is to beat our the other teams in our own conference. RPI is important but also very important to finish ahead of other A10 teams in Conference AND in Conference Tournament

VCU is a given however even they could stumble out of the NCAA if the A10 teams exploit the void of Briante Webber being out.
8 Conference games remaining is a lot of games plus the Conference Tournament so a lot can still change
Bottom line is a minimum of 3 teams go, 4 most likely

Last 7 years for the A10
2014 - 6 teams VCU, SLU, UMASS, GW, St Joe, Dayton
2013 - 5 Teams SLU, VCU. Temple, LaSalle, Butler
2012 - 4 Teams Temple, SLU, Xavier, St Bonaventure
2011 - 3 Teams Xavier, Temple, Richmond
2010 - 3 Teams Xavier, Temple, Richmond
2009 - 3 Teams Xavier, Temple, Dayton
2008 - 3 Teams Xavier, St Joe, Temple
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What you're missing is, the A-10 is weaker than it's ever been,
this season.
Xavier and Temple every year. They're gone.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:What you're missing is, the A-10 is weaker than it's ever been,
this season.
Xavier and Temple were gone last year too and we got a record 6 teams in
Last year A10 was Ranked 7 in RPI
This year A10 is Ranked 7 in RPI

I'm just not as pessimistic as some who think 2 bids is possible for the A10
3 minimum, 4 most likely but a ton of time to go, plus with 6 bids last year and 5 bids the year before who knows what could happen. Who would have predicted 4th seed St Joe's to win the A10 last year beating VCU

8 critical conference games to go
plus the tournament
Will be a fun ride this year with URI right in the picture
Rhody continues to improve each game - imho winning out the last 8 games is achieveable

much too early to predict which teams go as there really is a log jam............all 9 of these teams could get hot the last 8 games and make a move for Top 4 A10 Tournament Seeding

2 teams with 2 losses
3 teams with 3 losses
2 teams with 4 losses
2 teams with 5 losses

VCU (20) 8-2
Rhode Island 8-2
Dayton 8-3
Geo. Wash.7-3
UMass 7-3
Davidson 6-4
St. Bonaventure 6-4
La Salle 5-5
Richmond 5-5
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What hurts the A10 this season, is the lack of quality OOC wins, and some really bad OOC losses to really bad teams too.

URI is exhibit A on the former. Fortunately, we don't have any bad OOC losses, unless you count the nightmare GT game.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Pointing out the 3 teams for that long. Then the recent high bids. The names on the front of the jerseys dont matter considering how the league has taken off without xavier/temple. Those teams had a good thing going at that time. Tu Holloway was amazing along with a few others there. Khalif Wyatt also was just incredible.

The league's RPI is higher than ever.

Everyone being pessimistic(Which is completely warranted), not really accounting for fringe NCAA teams losing in other leagues. Do 10-12 losses trump our low losses if they have a marquee win? I doubt it, just in my opinion.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:What you're missing is, the A-10 is weaker than it's ever been,
this season.
Weaker than it's ever been?
If you believe that then I can see where you might think 2 teams is possible, that would make sense then
RPI still says the conference is Ranked 7th which is the highest I have ever seen it, tied for last year

VCU got hurt with the ACL/Miniscus for Briante Webber and Davidson took a big blow with the Miniscus tear for Jack Gibbs but both of those teams could recover, both have depth
Dayton recoverd nicely after losing two 6'9" players, one a key starter, but they also had descent depth

Maybe I'm just too optimistic about the A10 and will be proven wrong, we'll see
I also think Rhody will win 7 of the last 8 and maybe even take all 8, so again we will see. I'm not pessimistic at all about the rest of this season.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's the old mid major versus P5 argument. It goes back and forth year to year.

How many bubble mid majors get in this year?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, if we keep improving, and we stay relatively healthy [EC and Gil need to be] then we have a shot at doing what you said.

That's all there really is to say about it right now.

Going to have to miss the next 2 games due to work. Sucks.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

A10 will get 2-3 teams this year. Conference is down this year, that's just the reality of the situation.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The A-10's RPI is 7th. It's not the highest ever.
Not by a long shot.
Last year there were SIX schools with 24-27 wins, and four schools who at one time or another
were in the top 25. Loads of big OOC wins.
Six NCAA bids.
So. you're trying to tell us that this year's pig pile is higher rated than last year?
Seriously?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Don't we just need 2-3 maybe 4 bids. 6 is the high water mark.

When sitting in 1st place mid february I don't think we should worry about the 5th or 6th bid.

This team is so young that they can get better by leaps and bounds.

Rod, any of the more knowledgable guys, have we ever had a team have 16-5, 8-2 in conference team that was led by 2 soph 2 frosh?

I would venture to guess that this is uncharted territory where we have never been this good when this young.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Dayton's win last night was important for the conference. The issue the conference will have going forward is what I refer to as the Big East problem from last year. Few great teams, many good ones. The issue is that for teams like Dayton, GW, Davidson, URI, and even throw in UMASS, they are all bubble teams who need to avoid bad losses and beat each other to enhance RPI/resume. If you look at projected RPI's through last night, VCU is 13th and Dayton is 40th. The next group: Davidson (56), GW (59), UMASS (64), URI (65). It's a delicate balance the conference has over the next few weeks to try to get 3 or 4 teams into the tournament but not hurt the resumes of each other, especially someone like Dayton who is in at the moment but would be a catalyst for other teams.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I love the enthusiasm, but it's making this board look uneducated.

Ramsey, to say things like: "Im sorry but I just don't see the stark difference between the a10 and some of these higher-up conferences." makes it seem like you stopped watching basketball in March of last year. The A10 was legit. We had a ton of talented senior classes that graduated. The A10 had a woeful OOC this year, especially against the power conference teams. Last year top to bottom the A10 had power conference wins, this year it was only a handful of teams that were able to pick off those conference bottom feeders.

Among the ranked wins (which I believe there are only 2 still standing), UNI and Wichita State play in garbage conferences and don't really help the conference eye test. You need an eye test and computer numbers to get in.

Wagner was not 2nd team out of the tournament. The NEC is and will always be a 1 bid league. Wagner didn't get an NIT invite. Not because they got screwed, but because they didn't do enough to deserve it in the eyes of either committee - because they don't play or beat enough legitimately good teams.

You may not care about the number of top 100 wins we have, but the selection committee does. That's literally most of what they look at. "who did you play, and who did you beat." Our SOS is and will finish outside of the top 100. So cross that first part off. The "who did you beat" part, while not written entirely as of now, is not going to raise any eyebrows.

The best thing we have going is a win streak, which if it continues could be enough to sway some committee votes - but it keeps coming back to the eye test.

Because I've seen (and been a central part of) many of these board meltdowns, this is me trying to stop the madness before it starts.

People are writing about 8-0 like it's likely to happen, and 7-1 is what will happen because we should be favored in those games. If we go 5-3 down the stretch, which is much more likely a scenario than those other 2...we'll be 13-5 in the A10, have a first round bye in the A10 tourney, and poised ourselves to make a legit run the conference/some type of post season play - in what is for all intensive purposes year 2 of one of the hardest rebuilding projects in college basketball.

If this team finishes 21-8, with how they've played this year, there should be a fucking praise party on this board for the job that Dan/staff/team have done for the turn around for this program, and then we get to see meaningful games we can win, that could possibly end up in the NCAA, but will more likely have us in the NIT.

The problem with setting these absurd expectations of a 7-1 record down the stretch is that if we fail to meet them, the board turns into a shit hole for months. Just be realistic and act like you've watched college basketball outside of URI before, and understand that just because we all want it to happen and follow this team, that we aren't the center of the college basketball universe...yet.

So I will preach again:

enjoy this ride - we're watching good, tough, fun basketball again. Take stock at how far we climbed in a very short few seasons, keep gimbal lock on the horizon, and above all else: GO RHODY!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Blueman touched on something I thought of yesterday (and mentioned to him) that this is really year 2 of Hurley even though it's technically year 3. Year 1 is a throw out, his only players were X and Aaman and the only Baron player worth anything was Malesevic. He had 8 scholarship players most of which most likely weren't A10 players. To me year 2 for Hurley was really his first year of the rebuild
NOT IN OUR HOUSE