Game #16: @ Massachusetts - Saturday 2:30pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #16: @ Massachusetts - Saturday 2:30pm

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote:This is URI and win or reap it. I will not sit here and wait 10 years more for what ifs. Sure Dan is pissed. Good. Well, go get better players. Cause this batch is not getting it done. Plain and simple. Glad Garret started. Thats a plus. But I cringe once subs happen, cause our bench is sub par.
Totally get the frustration, but you have to look at the fact that this was a total rebuild only two classes in the making and think that there is an obvious explanation for why the depth isn't there yet. The fact that the core of this team has them competing as freshmen and sophomores has to be encouraging in the big picture. I had to go leave the house and run some errands to give my anger and frustration about today's game a chance to work its way through my system. I'm still pissed, but allowing myself to think about the big picture I am not panicked.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I know TP. I'm just venting. We all love URI.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Nobody is happy when their team blows a very winnable game.

What makes the anger here more relevant, is this is STILL happening. A lot.

When you haven't won anything in forever, and you can see success getting closer, it's just that more frustrating than most losses.

Dan will not be a happy camper at tomorrow's show. I want to hear about why certain guys played and when they played. Our best has to play, and play more, and in the last 5 minutes for sure.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I count GT and PC as bad losses. Sorry should have won those games and this one!

As angry as I am with those 3 losses I still believe we can win the A10 tourney....

Towel not thrown in yet here.....

Carry on, good thread.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Excruciating to watch these game slip away. Young team still.

Still have faith that Hurley knows what he is doing.

Any dream of an at large bid is history this year. Improve enough to make a run in the A-10 tourney, starting tomorrow.

We have the talent on the chalkboard and on the court. Mental toughness!
Mobley was fouled.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Just finished watching the game. Between yesterday and today, mourning the loss of a dear friend, celebrating his life. Reynolds gave note in his column today. Billy Butler would have just shaken his head and said, "Well, UMass did what it had to to win. URI, well…..they Pisarciked. Do you think they'll ever figure it out?"
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Absolute choke job two games in a row. We go up 53-47 at the 6:22 mark. UMass then closes it out with a 13-3 run. VCU all over again. EC even had two turnovers again at the end. Nobody stepped up again in crunch time. Very disappointing.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Sorry for your loss, Bress.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Galling to say the least.

3 points in 6+ minutes. Against a very mediocre team, that was even worse than I thought they were.

That's on everybody. Staff, players. They should be embarrassed beyond belief. I don't care if the entire team was 12 years old.

Putrid. Epic fail by ALL. Dan should be pissed at himself too. Put our best players on the floor for that 6 minutes, and this doesn't happen.

Nobody fouled out. No excuses.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That last tweet bugs me.

Dan has been starting Hassan, Terrell, and EC for the entire season. The only addition was Garrett, who even now is our best PG.

Crap, that group controlled the game from the outset. They weren't the problem!

At the end, EC was the one who played like a raw freshman. That's the other thing that bothers me.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Until we get some semblance of a half court offense other than praying E C can go 1 on 5 we are going to continue to struggle.. I would love to see Garrett take over being the floor general regardless of growing pains.. He has shown flashes of getting to the hoop and finding the open man.. E C needs to play more off the ball.. That is when he has been at his best this year.. Keeps him from trying to do too much..
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:That last tweet bugs me.

Dan has been starting Hassan, Terrell, and EC for the entire season. The only addition was Garrett, who even now is our best PG.

Crap, that group controlled the game from the outset. They weren't the problem!

At the end, EC was the one who played like a raw freshman. That's the other thing that bothers me.
Um, where did he say they were the problem?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not to go all Peter King, here, but some thoughts:

1. I think that while Dan didn't have his best game today, he has the pulse of the team and a grasp of the situation on the whole. Which is a nice thing in comparison with his two predecessors.

2. I think his comments about starting the young guys speak to a general anxiety about doing that and he isn't making any statement about how doing so effected the outcome of this game. You know that any coach would prefer to have a more experienced group if possible, but I don't sense any regret from him here.

3. I think I'd like (but don't expect) to see Earl join the Core Four in the starting lineup. Earl will be with those four next year, and has outplayed Gil anyways. I think Dan's personal loyalty to Gil will trump that, though.

4. I think that with respect to finding someone to take the ball at the end of the game, that guy will end up being Jared for the long haul. EC is a more talented scorer, but seems to struggle in that situation. Jared has solid brass ones. Part of excelling in that situation is mental and intestinal fortitude and Jared and Hass lead this team in those categories by a clear distance.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote: 3. I think I'd like (but don't expect) to see Earl join the Core Four in the starting lineup. Earl will be with those four next year, and has outplayed Gil anyways. I think Dan's personal loyalty to Gil will trump that, though.
Agree with most of what you said TP, but wanted to specifically comment on this part. I do agree that we won't see Earl starting I think. But I do think it's very telling that Earl, who as Dan said was only going to be used in emergency situations, saw some pretty substantial second half minutes at the expense of Gil.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:A year or two away? Do we have another 4* tandem coming in next year to provide depth on the bench? Dan is in year 3 now. In this year, I EXPECTED to go to the tournament. And no need to bench Gil, he's gone next year.
Blueram, serious question, in the prediction contest you had 19-10 and 10-8 in conference. Did you expect them to go to the tournament with that record?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think that has a lot to do with Gil averaging 13.8* fouls per 40 minutes (*estimated). Fortunately or unfortunately, we can probably count on that continuing.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Adam, nobody said they were the problem. Just a figure of speech.

TP, you're right in that either Jarvis or Terrell has to be the take charge guy late in games.

1980, your point is spot on about EC playing off the ball. That's where he's at his best for sure.

I guess Dan feels the freshmen just aren't ready to take over that role yet. Well, start please.

EC isn't getting it done, time to make a change and jump in the deep end. Can't hurt.

What's the worst that can happen? Lose more close games? We're already doing that, nothing to lose.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I think that has a lot to do with Gil averaging 13.8* fouls per 40 minutes (*estimated). Fortunately or unfortunately, we can probably count on that continuing.
Yeah that's absolutely part of it. But its part of a bigger issue lately I think. Gil has already been losing some minutes even without foul trouble. In some games its in favor of a 4th guard, tonight it was in favor of a guy with an injured shoulder that they were hoping to not even have to play. I don't see it changing unless Gil has a serious turnaround real real quick.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

With all fairness to EC at the end of the game, its not like everyone in the building doesn't know he is going to get the ball. And its not like any semblance of a play is drawn up for him. Today, TJ walks way too methodically dribbles to corner then throws the ball to EC 23 feet from basket. Granted he should have caught the ball first of all, but it certainly wouldn't have been the easiest of shots either. I'm not sure Dan should be pointing fingers at EC, he is as much as fault for not being able to draw something better, or with a little more imagination.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gio - it looked like we were playing for the last shot! In that situation you have to be counting on needing multiple possessions. Playing fast there helps you in terms of the clock, but also just bull rushing a defense clinging to a one point lead is much better than letting them get situated and see exactly what you are trying to do.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I think the bullish Terrell may be harder to defend on a last shot
situation.
EC is a finesse player. His high dribble is easily stripped, and he's become
a turnover machine.
Everyone knows he's getting the ball at the end. At least twice last year
and through this year, he has not been successful once.
Time to rethink EC as the closer.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Also, just because you gave Jared the ball doesn't mean he has to take the shot. When you attack, guys off the ball tend to get clean looks.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm impressed with the way Garrett gets into the lane and makes
creative dishes .
He would have had more than 6 assists if a couple of shots weren't missed.
I also like Terrell's fearlessness.
Looking forward to seeing these two develop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

You actually could have potentially had a 2 pt basket and fouled quickly. I think Jarvis or JT should have had the ball in their hands at that point also. Imo those guys have much more ability to do something with the ball than TJ. Use EC as a decoy.
GY=URI
Abdul Fox

Unread post by GY=URI »

Rod I know the problem. Dan wears glasses that blocks out big men. He says he has no confidence
in freshman Garret. EC is a force and can do no wrong. Garrett shot 29 of 30 3 pointers in is
interview with Preston. You think if he wasn't looking over his shoulder he could do better.
I am not a coach and would not want the job but I have been watching college basketball
for 55 years and can not see any sense of how URI plays. I do not like the chemistry between
coaches , players,refs. It matters more than most think. Free throws are usually a mental issue.
As for the future of getting a big man. Why would any big man in his right mind come to play for
Dan? Have you seen any improvement in Iffy or Gil? Why is Jordan no our 5 ?
I addressed this to you rod because I agree with you on most posts.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

GY=URI wrote:Rod I know the problem. Dan wears glasses that blocks out big men. He says he has no confidence
in freshman Garret. EC is a force and can do no wrong. Garrett shot 29 of 30 3 pointers in is
interview with Preston. You think if he wasn't looking over his shoulder he could do better.
I am not a coach and would not want the job but I have been watching college basketball
for 55 years and can not see any sense of how URI plays. I do not like the chemistry between
coaches , players,refs. It matters more than most think. Free throws are usually a mental issue.
As for the future of getting a big man. Why would any big man in his right mind come to play for
:roll:

When you cite chemistry as one of this team's problems, it makes it hard to take the rest of it too seriously. He also definitely never said he has no confidence in Garrett. Maybe a big man would see Hassan's studly performances and come here to be the next guy to do that. _____ isn't the five because he couldn't or wouldn't be part of the team. Not sure I get this post.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:
GY=URI wrote:Rod I know the problem. Dan wears glasses that blocks out big men. He says he has no confidence
:roll:

When you cite chemistry as one of this team's problems, it makes it hard to take the rest of it too seriously. He also definitely never said he has no confidence in Garrett. Maybe a big man would see Hassan's studly performances and come here to be the next guy to do that. _____ isn't the five because he couldn't or wouldn't be part of the team. Not sure I get this post.

Agree totally. I think one thing you cannot complain about is chemistry. Players and coaches alike definitely have it. Yes, and when has he said anything like that about Jarvis. One thing about Dan, he may say things referring to something his players may do that he does not like, but he stands by his players to a fault, and I like that about him.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm watching BYU-St. Mary's and seeing Tyler Haws doing something
I don't recall our guys doing much.
Ball fakes! Haws does it and his man gets in the air and Haws either leans in
and gets a foul or puts it on the floor and goes by his man.
It's a forgotten skill for a lot of players.
As for Dan, if you can damn him for lack of improvement for Iffy,
then does he get praise for Hassan's great improvement?
As for chemistry on the floor, I don't think you can have nine players
coming in and out, and have continuity on offense.
I think the kids like each other, and their coach.
What I do like is, Hurley has brought in some great kids,
who are very likable as individuals.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

As for the final shot points being made, don't forget that Terrell did in fact take the last shot against Duquesne. He missed it, but I was glad to see him given the chance.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Monday morning quarterbacking is easy, but looking back at Hurley's decision to take Martin out after the second foul 5 minutes and 20 seconds into the game was a big decision.
Martin never came back in for the first half sitting out almost 15 minutes.
Martin ended up with 23 total minutes and finished the game with only 2 fouls.

Unfortunate to leave so many Hassan Martin potential minutes on the table.
Sometimes the fear of guys fouling out makes us take a more conservative route. Sometimes better to just let them roul out.

Martin has only fouled out 1 time this year, Nebraska, in Overtime.
He has only had a maximum of 3 fouls in the past 9 games.
Martin is mature for his age and has the ability to play in control when he has fouls. Unlike Biruta and Watson who pick up fouls in rapid succession at times, Martin does not normally do that.

And if Martin fouls out, not so bad as having not had him on the Court for 17 minutes today.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I've said I wouldn't be posting after loses this year, but I already posted on the VCU game after the loss, so screw it...

There is absolutely no way we should have lost this game! Mathews is obviously an extreme talent and a smart kid, so I hope he realizes and with a quickness that being someone who can "score at will" isn't literal, it doesn't mean score by going 1 on 3, he's an outstanding scorer, but his decision making is up and down, his handle is ok, not great but ok, its the decision to go 1 on 3 that is the killer. Going 1 on 3 is for the guys with the ball on a string. It doesn't apply to the final attempt in this game, that was just an unfortunate fumble of the pass, it happens I guess, we shouldn't have even been in that position at that time of the game, the game slipped away long before our latest lame attempt to run a good play as time winds down. In no way do I blame one player or another for the loss, I'm still digesting the memories of my experience watching this baffling contest, I will say, without another moment of analysis, there is absolutely no way we should have lost this game!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, agree, but we keep doing it. That is what is baffling. It's getting old.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

giovanni wrote:With all fairness to EC at the end of the game, its not like everyone in the building doesn't know he is going to get the ball. And its not like any semblance of a play is drawn up for him. Today, TJ walks way too methodically dribbles to corner then throws the ball to EC 23 feet from basket. Granted he should have caught the ball first of all, but it certainly wouldn't have been the easiest of shots either. I'm not sure Dan should be pointing fingers at EC, he is as much as fault for not being able to draw something better, or with a little more imagination.
quoted for truth. Dan is the coach he can not delegate all the leadership to EC because of his talent.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI vs UMass mimics the move GROUNDHOG DAY. It just keeps repeating itself. 7 straight losses to UMass is inexcusable. They are in no way an elite program.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan needs to give the ball to Jarvis at the end of games. He can see the floor. EC doesn't.

Simple as that. Freshman or not. Give him the freaking chance.

It will happen at some point. It has to.

Or else the losing of close games will continue.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

So are we 0-4 against UMass this calendar year? I know we are 0-6 in rivalry games over the past 14 months or so.

I just can't get too down here or I'll be accused of being fair-weather! I love how if a fan questions anything some want to question the veracity of the fan. DH is soooo much better than the last guy at game prep, adjustments and so forth, but he's not good enough just yet, that doesn't mean I think we are in rough shape at all, just that, in my opinion, DH excels in some areas and gets bogged down in others. I'm very pleased with DH and all the hard work that has brought us back to relevance, but the job of reaching the promised land is still in its infancy. Hurley needs to find a way to out coach Kellog and Cooley. Our players, right now, not potentially, now, are better than UMass and probably as good as PC but we have nothing to show for it. I'm going to try to mitigate my frustration now by listening to Led Zeplin at extreme volumes or something, IDK, either way I have to stop thinking about this.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'll listen to Wipeout, in honor of the last two games.
Seriously, we have shown the ability to play good basketball
in stretches, against good teams.
Other than Kansas, we haven't been blown out by anyone.
I think that's the frustration.....getting close, but not closing.
Dan has only been a D-1 coach for four plus years. He still is
young both in age and experience on this level.
I'm sure he's learned playing four guards or trying five, is foolhardy,
against any team with a decent front line.
He's playing who he trusts, but the Watson thing is troubling to me.
I don't know what Earl does in practice, but what he does in games
has an impact.
I get his loyalty to Biruta. They go back many years to St. Benedict's and Gil
came here at a time Dan needed to fill out a depleted roster.
However, the dropped passes, the mediocre defense, the lack of consistent
aggressiveness, shows that a change is in order.
Yesterday, for example, he began the game with purpose, and then vanished
for most of the game. He can make a horrible bonehead play one minute,
and a brilliant one the next. There's never been any consistency.
I expected him to have a good year, in his senior season, but so far, it's been wasted.
There's skills and talent in him, but if Dan can't unlock that, who can?
EC is a good college player, but he's not the second Michael Jordan.
His game is flawed by things that can be corrected in time.
Terrell and Garrett seem to have the right stuff, to be what we thought they were,
when they were being recruited. Just give it time.
Biggie isn't bad. People were dumping on him yesterday, but he didn't miss a shot,
and had zero turnovers. He also plays solid defense.
Reischel fools you, because he has a decent game, as he did with VCU,
and comes out with nothing, yesterday.
Butler and Oneykaba have been non factors.
I haven't figured out why some here think Butler is going to be the answer to the
shooting problems. He's not. He's slow and doesn't play defense.
Iffy? His first game was his best, and he never came close in one and a half seasons
to duplicating that..
TJ, gives it his all, every game. Some games he's better than others. Yesterday,
not so good.
Hassan is our best player and the most fun to watch. He's come so far from his
tentative early days. He needs to see the ball and take more than six shots in a game.
We have some good pieces. We can play with anyone. Finishing is the big problem.
It is for most young teams.
It's not all doom and gloom. We need more size, and shooting, to accomplish what you and I and Dan
all want.
Time will tell if we get that.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good post, Rod.

Yes, it's all about time...and more time....

Time waiting for Jarvis and Terrell to develop.

Time waiting for Dan to bring in what we need.

So frustrating.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I'll listen to Wipeout, in honor of the last two games.
Seriously, we have shown the ability to play good basketball
in stretches, against good teams.
Other than Kansas, we haven't been blown out by anyone.
I think that's the frustration.....getting close, but not closing.
Dan has only been a D-1 coach for four plus years. He still is
young both in age and experience on this level.
I'm sure he's learned playing four guards or trying five, is foolhardy,
against any team with a decent front line.
He's playing who he trusts, but the Watson thing is troubling to me.
I don't know what Earl does in practice, but what he does in games
has an impact.
I get his loyalty to Biruta. They go back many years to St. Benedict's and Gil
came here at a time Dan needed to fill out a depleted roster.
However, the dropped passes, the mediocre defense, the lack of consistent
aggressiveness, shows that a change is in order.
Yesterday, for example, he began the game with purpose, and then vanished
for most of the game. He can make a horrible bonehead play one minute,
and a brilliant one the next. There's never been any consistency.
I expected him to have a good year, in his senior season, but so far, it's been wasted.
There's skills and talent in him, but if Dan can't unlock that, who can?
EC is a good college player, but he's not the second Michael Jordan.
His game is flawed by things that can be corrected in time.
Terrell and Garrett seem to have the right stuff, to be what we thought they were,
when they were being recruited. Just give it time.
Biggie isn't bad. People were dumping on him yesterday, but he didn't miss a shot,
and had zero turnovers. He also plays solid defense.
Reischel fools you, because he has a decent game, as he did with VCU,
and comes out with nothing, yesterday.
Butler and Oneykaba have been non factors.
I haven't figured out why some here think Butler is going to be the answer to the
shooting problems. He's not. He's slow and doesn't play defense.
Iffy? His first game was his best, and he never came close in one and a half seasons
to duplicating that..
TJ, gives it his all, every game. Some games he's better than others. Yesterday,
not so good.
Hassan is our best player and the most fun to watch. He's come so far from his
tentative early days. He needs to see the ball and take more than six shots in a game.
We have some good pieces. We can play with anyone. Finishing is the big problem.
It is for most young teams.
It's not all doom and gloom. We need more size, and shooting, to accomplish what you and I and Dan
all want.
Time will tell if we get that.
Brilliant and all spot on.

My comment is why can't a top 50 shooter and big see that if they are added to this club the run into the tourney could be deep. A window is open but as we know the window in Kingston can shut quickly.....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The window for EC and Hassan is closing rapidly. They will be juniors next year.

If we don't get that inside help, whether it's 2 year, 4 year, post grad, whatever, by NEXT season, their career here could end without an NCAA trip.

I don't think anybody here could see that coming.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Excellent post Rod. Well said, agree with basically everything. Frustration does set it for many as we see we are close and this week let a couple of wins slip through our hands. Dan had made a comment recently about the players being impatient, and basically saying they want to win at the highest level right now. Well, its been a long time for the fans too and impatience and aggravation set in with losses like we just had. Dan walked into a mess too, losing a couple of players and being left with very little. I think we all can agree EC, Hassan, Jarvis and Jared are all great recruits. Certainly we could use some more size and a couple of shooters, but no one can deny the heart, effort and the direction the program is headed. I still see this team as continually improving and there is a lot of basketball left. I have a feeling we will see this team at its best in February and going into A 10 tourney.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Good summary, rod. I have that same hope too, gio. It may even get me to buy tickets to the A-10 tourney though my chances of going are always up in the air given work.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Why does TJ escape the wrath of this board. Look at his line in the box score. He did virtually nothing and his one field goal was a prayer that was answered.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

eli#10 wrote:Why does TJ escape the wrath of this board. Look at his line in the box score. He did virtually nothing and his one field goal was a prayer that was answered.
Maybe because sometimes players have bad games and more often than not he is one of the most important players on the team? If you're expecting every player to play great every game then you're not being very realistic.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He might not be 100% still. Hard to say otherwise.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

adam914 wrote:
eli#10 wrote:Why does TJ escape the wrath of this board. Look at his line in the box score. He did virtually nothing and his one field goal was a prayer that was answered.
Maybe because sometimes players have bad games and more often than not he is one of the most important players on the team? If you're expecting every player to play great every game then you're not being very realistic.
Does this do it for you??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmdVgQ ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF TONGUES LLC
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One of Hurley's tweets after the game really is a head scratcher.

"We've got to find somebody we can give the ball to at the end of the game, that can make the play"

That's an indictment of EC, is it not?

We freaking HAVE someone, and his name is Jarvis. Yeah, he's a freshmen. So? He's going to make mistakes, will he make more than EC has lately?

He's a better passer. He's a better ball handler, by far. He sees the floor better. He's much quicker.

Okay, he's not a very good shooter yet, and he can't drive to the hoop like EC can.

But at least when he [JG] has the ball, it's not going to fall into a black hole while the others stand there picking their nose.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I noticed that, too, Bone. Not really fair to EC. How about this: Play better the last few minutes so you're not in that position all the time.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Even when TJ plays well, you won't always be able to tell by looking at the box score.

Rambone, those weren't Dan's tweets. They were comments tweeted by Bill Koch. Just to clarify. I don't know if Jarvis is the guy you want taking those shots right now. Not only is he still very inexperienced, but no coach in the country is going to give the ball to a 5'10" freshman that isn't a threat to get to the rim and who averages 5 ppg and shoots 33% from the floor instead of the leading scorer in the conference. I think if anyone else is an option in those spots it would be Jared, who is more capable of creating his own shot, has been a better shooter, is a bigger threat to get to the rim and has already shown an ability to make big shots.