Tom Penders fired up about Rhody's Marketing

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Mongo
ARD

Tom Penders fired up about Rhody's Marketing

Unread post by Mongo »

I happen to agree... I wish I could be the person to promote this product... Even though there were 5000+ we need people to be excited about this amazing resurgence. I know the students are not in session, but get pumped for this team. Could be the best core we've seen since 1998... Pay me I'll head up promotion and get the community pumped!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Tom Penders fired up about Rhody's Marketing

Unread post by ramster »

New Year's Eve, 4pm Game for fans to get primed for a big, festive night............
Marjority of the Crowd seemed half asleep the whole game, bet 75% were in bed by 10:30pm tonight
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think Thorr and the marketing people work hard. Anyone who was disappointed by the crowd is crazy. Ponders is becoming a cranky old man
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Trying to change the old culture of losing is tough.

It's happening on the court. Off the court, it's going to take a while longer I guess, but at least it's headed that way.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, Penders is way off base. We will have a very strong conference attendance. How many here were thinking there would barely be an announced attendance of 4000 for the Brown game? Many.

Students will be there in force when they're back on campus. The VCU game will pull fans out of the woodwork and still provide a good number before classes resume.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

The best tweets were the volley between Penders and Kevin McNamara discussing Villanova basketball, Jack Kraft and even Mo Zarchen. McNamara labeled Kraft as a "cheater".
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ramster wrote:New Year's Eve, 4pm Game for fans to get primed for a big, festive night............
Marjority of the Crowd seemed half asleep the whole game, bet 75% were in bed by 10:30pm tonight
Not saying I agree or disagree with Penders but date, time shouldn't matter, that is truly the URI historic thinking many of us have complained about over the years. It shouldn't matter if the game is at 3 AM if we get the program to the level we aspire. I watched several games yesterday and the crowds were big, lively and loud. Uconn, Xavier, Villanova, Memphis, DePaul. While I understand a couple of programs are at a different level at this point, and they were also playing league games, I am hoping and believe the program will soon get to that level soon. PC's crowd even sounded very lively, though not sure what the attendance figure was. The Xavier- Georgetown game actually played into the new year, and their crowd and homecourt advantage was outstanding.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

To be semantically correct, McNamara said "he (Kraft) cheated by the way" referring to Howard Porter.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

[quote="reckless jake"]The best tweets were the volley between Penders and Kevin McNamara discussing Villanova basketball, Jack Kraft and even Mo Zarchen. McNamara labeled Kraft as a "cheater".[/quote.....

What was Pender's response? I would find that amusing on the surface from a guy who adores Syracuse and PC with Boeheim and Gavitt.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I think what coach Penders was refurring to is
- that know one works harder than Dan Hurley to promote the program, and maybe the layers of athletic department employees should follow his example.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

With all due respect to coach Penders, I have no idea where he's coming from on this one. Traditionally we draw under 4000 for games at this time of year. Coming off of the last three years we have averaged about 1000 more fans than normal for Detroit and Brown and I think it's in large part due to the mini plans that were offered and how they were marketed.

And I find it especially curious that he trashes the idea of Hurley going to the library with donuts. As far as I know he only did that once, I highly doubt it was a large time drain for him, and more importantly people still talk to this day about Penders going around campus, meeting people and that creating a larger more passionate fanbase. If anyone should appreciate the impact that small gestures and meet and greets with students can generate it should be Penders. I think he was totally off last night
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

CTRamfan wrote:I think what coach Penders was referring to is that no one works harder than Dan Hurley to promote the program, and maybe the layers of athletic department employees should follow his example.
Agreed. The first tweet posted above seemed to be his starting point, with the "9 to 5" comment.
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I was actually pleasantly surprised at the attendance. Bryant drew 804 & PC attendance was listed as "N/A". And their game was a conference game. Why wouldn't they be able to calculate the attendance?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The PC game drew 8961
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI did ok attendance wise for the OOC finishing with an average of 5,085. This was done with only one real attractive opponent and included a D2 school. Given that attendance is typically better for the A-10 slate most seasons, it is likely to rise regardless of how Rhody fares. The fact that URI had its best OOC record in some years along with a hopeful forecast for the remainder of the season will help attendance even more.

RHODE ISLAND HOME ATTENDANCE 2014-15
OPPONENT | ATTENDANCE | TO DATE | AVERAGE
Pace | 4,210 | 4,210 | 4,210
Umass-Lowell | 4,320 | 8,530 | 4,265
Nebraska | 7,657 | 16,187 | 5,396
Delaware St | 4,613 | 20,800 | 5,200
Detroit | 4,694 | 25,494 | 5,099
Brown | 5,015 | 30,509 | 5,085
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Attendance is fine and gradually seems to be getting better. Promotions, gimmicks, etc will bring tens, and hundreds to Kingston. Winning brings thousands. It's that simple. We are getting there. Keep winning and Saturday afternoons at the Ryan Center will be the hottest ticket in the state.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It was well established that Jack Kraft had no knowledge of
Howard Porter signing a professional contract, while still
playing for Villanova.
McNamara doesn't seem to have let that get in the way of
smearing a dead man.
Pitiful.
I don't know what Penders is talking about. That Marketing Dept. is light years
ahead of any before them at URI.
He also was famous for promoting the program, much as Hurley is now doing.
Odd.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Did Penders miss that sell out against Nebraska? Most were not sure we would get over 6000. Totally a lubed up series of tweets, by the looks of it.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I've seen him do that too many times. It takes away from his
credibility, and makes him look silly.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Penders=Rhodys own Dukie V. Can't knock the hustle and enthusiasm, but not always factually accurate
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Funny, Bob Terino told Dan that he was the weirdest coach
we ever had.
Dan shot back, "What about Tom Penders? He's pretty weird."
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Anyone questioning Jack Kraft's integrity is completely out of his mind! That was 1971 when a lot went on behind closed doors. Not 2015 where everything is open to everyone in the media. You could hide back then & that's what Porter did. But not with any knowledge by Kraft. He would not have put up with that. It just comes back to the Projo favoring PC & they are still pissed off because Sly came to Kingston. They can't let it go.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Tom Penders sat 2 rows in front of me in Section 105 for the Nebraska game. He cheered the entire game, while often yelling out instructions, complaining about the officiating and even horsing around with Preston Murphy's children who were there playing for CLCF at halftime. I believe he truly cares about the program.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

The crowd was asleep at the Brown game because it was a boring game. The refs called 20 fouls in the first 10 minutes of the second half. There was no rhythm to the game. I was there, and was excited about how well our guys were playing, but still felt like I could fall asleep because there was a dead-ball every 5 seconds.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

My wife was nodding off in the second half, and when I nudged her she just said it was a boring game, partially due to the refs.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Howard Porter inked with an agent during the old NBA-ABA signing wars while at Villanova without Jack Kraft's knowledge….
If one were to take a look at the basketball headlines during the Late Sixties and Early Seventies before the Merger, most of the news would be about select players signing multiple contracts, the Spencer Haywood Hardship Ruling, the Connie Hawkins Lawsuit, and so on.
Rick Barry, Julius Erving, Billy Cunningham, Joe Caldwell, and others were involved in "off-the-court legal battles…"
Student-Athletes such as Howard Porter were nothing more than pawns in a larger money game.
Anyone who would impune Jack Kraft's reputation is an a-hole.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

McNamara is way off base. Porter's actions hurt Kraft with a vacated finals appearance. If you want to talk about Zarch and ethics ... penders was at URI when there not a shred of marketing. Much better now. URI was essentialky off the map for more than a decade. They need to establish a hoops culture. That takes winning. Young fans have no idea who Jim Harrick is. Lamar? A tabloid TV guy. The Baron years did a lot of damage.
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

URIGONZO wrote:The crowd was asleep at the Brown game because it was a boring game. The refs called 20 fouls in the first 10 minutes of the second half. There was no rhythm to the game. I was there, and was excited about how well our guys were playing, but still felt like I could fall asleep because there was a dead-ball every 5 seconds.
This ^^^

Please don't judge the fans on that game.

The second half in particular was one of the most dull 20 minutes of college basketball i can recall. Rarely more then 10-20 seconds between dead balls. I almost left early.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I agree. The game had a monotonous feel. And maybe the crowd was worn out by the holidays. Too many fouls, no flow. Though RC crowds lean that way a lot. Show up late with free tickets, leave early in a tie game etc. It's been better lately with Nebraska and other games. It can be a pit when the crowd is excited. Maybe if the players lobbed T-shirts.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

We need the Kids to get R C rocking.. My wife and i sit way up in 306 and are many times the only ones up off our seats when something cool happens.. Most of the crowd just kind of sits there with polite applause.. Reminds me of the atmosphere at the dunk.. The Nebraska game should be the norm.. Tell me that wasn't part of the reason we won.. Electric atmosphere.. Can't hurt recruiting either if a H S kid saw that kind of passion.. Mr & Mrs ram1980(82) are in on that.. Hopefully there are more of us old folks that join in.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So finally having some time to sit down and reply to some threads via my laptop rather than iPhone, I wanted to expand my earlier comments on just how crazy his tweets were.

As many of your know, Rhody Athletics Marketing lost some serious talent in Adam Schemm just before the season started when he moved to USF. This wasn't the only hit to the Marketing dept, however, as his assistant Sabrina Theil also left two weeks later to Illinois. So doing the math that's the bulk of the dedicated marketing staff at a school like URI.

URI is actively looking for the right people to fill these vacancies, but it isn't expected that anyone would be hired until after the athletics season closes due to the way the industry works. There is significant interest and some phone and on-campus interviews have already been completed. Job posting will come later as off season approaches.

All that said, the Athletics Dept has responded to this challenge and already delivered some strong results. You might remember pics tweeted before the Nebraska game that showed a roundtable with Athletics, Learfield Sports, ticketing, and Dan Hurley himself. These happen weekly. Dan Hurley is hands-on and working on this collaboration between all the relevant groups responsible for the growth of this basketball program.

Few expected a sell-out vs Nebraska, but it happened with a huge coordinated marketing effort and the support from Athletics and University leadership. Most expected a very weak crowd for Brown, but instead there were huge lines for walk-up ticket sales (Rod and I were caught in these by surprise) from all 6 windows on the North end of the Ryan Center which pushed attendance over 5000.

This was the largest paid walk-up ticket sale since 2010 when nationally ranked Boston College played on New Years Eve.

We are all very well positioned for an excellent A10 conference season in all respects. Most fans probably cannot remember a time when the basketball program ever received this level of comprehensive support from facilities to marketing, giving, administrative support (President & AD), and our corporate partners.

Complaining about game atmosphere during the intersession with soft opponents is easy. Let's see the response beginning with the VCU game and the rest of the season. I'm sure we'll all be very pleased to be a part of it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramblinrose wrote:I agree. The game had a monotonous feel. And maybe the crowd was worn out by the holidays. Too many fouls, no flow. Though RC crowds lean that way a lot. Show up late with free tickets, leave early in a tie game etc. It's been better lately with Nebraska and other games. It can be a pit when the crowd is excited. Maybe if the players lobbed T-shirts.
3 people sitting in front of me got up and left with about 2 minutes left in the Nebraska game. If you can't get caught up in excitement like that, why the hell attend a game? This was just 3 people that I saw. The crowd at that game was awesome. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, I saw that happen at last year's PC game!
You want to yell, "What the hell is wrong with you people???"
It wasn't a couple of people, either. Many more.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Billyboy, I saw that happen at last year's PC game!
You want to yell, "What the hell is wrong with you people???"
It wasn't a couple of people, either. Many more.
THE BLUE HAIRS FINALLY REALIZE THAT TIME HAS CAUGHT-UP TO THEM……………………
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCPjnuw ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

This video was the birth of the famous leisure suit.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Eric Burdon was the coolest.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Anyone see his latest set of tweets? really going in on Thorr.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i have and agreed Bos8...bewildering. Whether our marketing is great or awful, him using that outlet to single out an AD at a school that formerly employed him is certainly an odd choice.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

He comes off as a scorned lover. Did he reach out to Thorr about something and get denied? Usually I like reading his thoughts, but without some justification, I don't quite understand his latest tangent.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Agree. Very strange
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Wait til he's not comped anymore, then the real proverbial crap'll hit the Twitter-World!!!!!!!!

The guy has gotta get a TV gig of some sort. Retirement doesn't work for everyone…….

If he doesn't watch out, the Ryan Center crowd will be blowing goodbye kisses to Penders….
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bos8 wrote:He comes off as a scorned lover. Did he reach out to Thorr about something and get denied? Usually I like reading his thoughts, but without some justification, I don't quite understand his latest tangent.
That is what I think must have happened. Unexplainable otherwise.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

There's a risk to having an ex-coach hanging around. Privately, Thorr and Hurley probably think he's a pain in the ass.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No, Dan thinks Tom is weirder than he is.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Penders may have a point given attendance last night was just 6,011 for the 17th ranked team in the nation. URI had a very good 11-3 record, was coming off its longest win streak in years, and playing a ranked team - yet less than 80% of the seats were filled. What happened there?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote:Penders may have a point given attendance last night was just 6,011 for the 17th ranked team in the nation. URI had a very good 11-3 record, was coming off its longest win streak in years, and playing a ranked team - yet less than 80% of the seats were filled. What happened there?
These types of comments kill me. They simultaneously show interest in the right things and a complete lack of appreciation for context.

Probably what happened is that we have been bad for 4 or 5 years and haven't been good in about 15 years. We are showing definite signs of promise but even our 2014-15 season wouldn't speak to the casual fan yet. Plus our campus is basically closed and the students aren't back yet. Attendance for programs like URI is a habit. We have to give people the chance to form that habit and not get panicked when we "only" fill 81% of the arena. Couple years of winning (real winning, not CFL winning) and there will be people camped out waiting for tickets. Just have some patience and let it happen organically. You cannot cheat that process with promotion and gimmicks.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:Penders may have a point given attendance last night was just 6,011 for the 17th ranked team in the nation. URI had a very good 11-3 record, was coming off its longest win streak in years, and playing a ranked team - yet less than 80% of the seats were filled. What happened there?
These types of comments kill me. They simultaneously show interest in the right things and a complete lack of appreciation for context.

Probably what happened is that we have been bad for 4 or 5 years and haven't been good in about 15 years. We are showing definite signs of promise but even our 2014-15 season wouldn't speak to the casual fan yet. Plus our campus is basically closed and the students aren't back yet. Attendance for programs like URI is a habit. We have to give people the chance to form that habit and not get panicked when we "only" fill 81% of the arena. Couple years of winning (real winning, not CFL winning) and there will be people camped out waiting for tickets. Just have some patience and let it happen organically. You cannot cheat that process with promotion and gimmicks.

You have to admit, 6,011 for the 17th ranked team in the nation is disappointing. I get that it is semester break. I get that it is a weeknight. I get that the last few years have been tough. I get that it is not easy to sell 7,657 tickets to each and every game. I however had thought a crowd in excess of 7k would have been acceptable. Barely breaking 6k was disappointing. This wasn't a lower tier A-10 game with little meaning versus Fordham or Duquesne. Given the turnout, I don't think it out of the question to think more could have been done.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, but if this game wasn't a sellout, what the hell is?
Our most important A-10 game in memory, and large sections of the
3rd deck were empty.
Can't blame everything on students or lack thereof, the cold,
a weeknight, or any other baloney excuse. Especially after running $10,
ticket promotions.
Pretty discouraging.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

You have to admit, 6,011 for the 17th ranked team in the nation is disappointing. I get that it is semester break. I get that it is a weeknight. I get that the last few years have been tough. I get that it is not easy to sell 7,657 tickets to each and every game. I however had thought a crowd in excess of 7k would have been acceptable. Barely breaking 6k was disappointing. This wasn't a lower tier A-10 game with little meaning versus Fordham or Duquesne. Given the turnout, I don't think it out of the question to think more could have been done.
TP,
Not sure why comments like RF1's "kill you". Maybe you are not so middle of the road or objective yourself. Seems that the majority of the time you come across as the defender of the administration, coaching staff, sports writers, etc.
I myself was disappointed in 6011 sold tickets. I get students are out of classes, that we have been bad for years.......that I understand, but reasons I would have expected more:
1. VCU is the class team of the A10 - not even debatable
2. We only play VCU one time and it is on our court - last year was on their court
3. We advertised a lot
4. We offered tickets for only $10
5. We allowed tickets for free for college students with an ID
6. We are 11-3 and 3-0 in conference - I would have thought that alone would have brought in high numbers
What may have worked against us was the national tv - people stay home, warm, no travel, no cost and get to hear national announcers
I think RF1 makes a subject for discussion.
What attendance number would it have to have been for you to have similar feelings to RF1? 5000? 4000?
My guess is that Hurley and staff were perplexed by the attendance number as well - would be a good question for him at next Monday night coach night.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dan won't say anything other that, "I loved our crowd....."
Still a disappointing turnout, regardless of whatever spin anyone wants to put on it.