Game #11 Brown Wednesday New Year's Eve 4PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #11 Brown Wednesday New Year's Eve 4PM

Unread post by TruePoint »

Basket counts in case that wasn't clear at home
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Basket counts in case that wasn't clear at home
Ha yeah, to me that makes it an even weirder call. But whatever I guess.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think the ref knew he blew it.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Excellent first half. Crazy how valuable Watson has been. He was probably the biggest unknown for me heading into the season. It's nice to know that when/if Biruta and Martin get into foul trouble we aren't guaranteed to be screwed anymore.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

At game all our possessions right in front of me.... We are getting all the calls! Never seen anything like it.

Which of course is nice!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Everything going really well! Except maybe you'd like to see JT scoring more.
13 assists to 2 turnovers!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

some halftime stats:

13 assist on 20 baskets
shooting 54% from the field (20 of 37)
shooting 50% from 3 (5 of 10)
only 2 turnovers
leading points in the paint 24 to 12
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I thought they got rid of that call where you can charge but still get the hoop? strange way to correct what should have been a no-call

Pretty flawless half on offensive end, impressive feat given the long layoff...coming out flat would have been as expected.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

URI looks great on both ends right now. Agree, URI getting all the calls, I don't blame Mike Martin for going after the refs like he has.

Good to see URI build it's confidence with games like this going into conference play.

Side Note - The Cox online stream has really improved in quality from the past few years.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

These refs are determined to ruin this second half of basketball. Both ways, not saying we are getting screwed or anything.
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Trying to figure something out...

Are we playing way better than we did against PC?

or,

Is Brown playing way worse than it did against PC?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ramrod wrote:Trying to figure something out...

Are we playing way better than we did against PC?

or,

Is Brown playing way worse than it did against PC?
I think it's both honestly.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

16 points, 9 rebounds, 4 blocks and 4 assists off the bench.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

These refs have been terrible. Not allowing any flow to the game.

Anyone else catch Abu slip at 11:08 mark and refer to Brown's Tavon Blackmon as Tavon Martin?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Attendance slightly over 5000....I'm shocked!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Hitting free throws !!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wow, Hassan might lead the country in FG%....7-8 today.
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

STC wrote:These refs have been terrible. Not allowing any flow to the game.

Anyone else catch Abu slip at 11:08 mark and refer to Brown's Tavon Blackmon as Tavon Martin?
Yikes!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

8 players with 7 or more points.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Just got home from work and saw the score and stats.

Looks like we played well, but what's with all the fouls?

Anyway, good to see an easy win. We're on track at this point. Should take care of business next 3 games.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Hard to see how Brown beat PC, like where we are going into the conference season, defense was huge shutting done their scores, good crowd, good nite coming, here we come A-10!! Happy New Year,,
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Just back from RC. Took a lot of pics got some real good ones, will try and post here in next few days.

Very impressed at how well prepared the coaching staff had our team ready to play after break.

Bad news? We should be 10-1.

Good news ? 8-3 heading into conference with the door to success wide open!!

Happy New Year friends!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Nice W......I was highly concerned about this game. Credit Dan had them ready. Earl played excellent as he has been. Very happy with the convincing W but would still like to see JT and JG step up a bit more by now. Bottom line I'm happy with the team's production and will now enjoy my New Years!!! Go Rhody!!!
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Gil was typical Gil....played soft and got in foul trouble...Watson is definitely outplaying him right now...very obvious in my opinion
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This Ram team passed the character test with flying colors. Great first half and no signs of rust. Kudos to the entire team and staff for the effort and preparation. The game would have been even more enjoyable, if the refs didn't interfere in the flow so much. Two nice drives to the basket were called charges - got to see the replay of those babies.

Nice to see the crowd was 5,015 which means the game outdrew the Brown-PC game in the big city! They had only 4,124 for that one.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Agree Earl outplayed Gil, but I thought Gil played well, especially taking it to the hole. Overall, there was really nothing to complain about today. It was a very positive game in all aspects, a pleasure to watch. They looked like a finished product today as they did in the second half against Detroit. could it be habit forming/ I sure hope so. we will find out more at SLU on Saturday.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Except for the refs which were god awful, a shut down win for the Rams!!! Our defense is lock tight. No flaws which allows the coaches to focus on offensive improvements. Team is getting bettter each game.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

bigappleram wrote:I thought they got rid of that call where you can charge but still get the hoop? strange way to correct what should have been a no-call

Pretty flawless half on offensive end, impressive feat given the long layoff...coming out flat would have been as expected.
The dude was in the lane's mini-arc…..
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote: Looks like we played well, but what's with all the fouls?
Don't read too much into rambone, the refs were pretty terrible all around today. It was very strange, they decided all of a sudden to start the 2nd half that they were going to call every time either team breathed on the other guy. I have no idea who the crew was, but I'd be shocked if they have any kind of experience.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

bigappleram wrote:I thought they got rid of that call where you can charge but still get the hoop? strange way to correct what should have been a no-call

I almost jumped out of my seat when they called the foul, but did not give the basket. The foul was removed after it was determined that Spieth was in the circle.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Nice win. Never know what to expect with a big layoff. Rams came out prepared to play. good job.

Finish the OOC at a very respectable 8-3. The only game where I was really disappointed with the result was the Ga Tech game. If the Rams had played with consistent effort that ENTIRE game, they would have won. I wish we could have that latter part of the first half back from that game.

Still, with what we have seen the last three years, entering A-10 play at 8-3 is pretty nice.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Also loved the dunk by EC. Don't see too many of those. EC's handle is getting much better. Biggie is also playing much better.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ramster, just know you're lucky that URI bailed out your improper game thread etiquette tonight.

As Steve McDonald mentioned, the difference really might have been that PC plays zone and we go man to man.

Don't get too excited about this team and create unreasonable expectations. Don't get too excited about this team and create unreasonable expectations. Don't get too excited about this team and create unreasonable expectations. Don't get too excited...
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I agree that the refs completely ruined the flow of the second half. There were almost 8 minutes left in the game when both teams were in the double bonus. Couple that with the official time-outs, and it was an annoying half to sit through. Also without the substitutions in the last 5 or 6 minutes, the game could have been just as easily been a 30 point win. While we have not been to conference play yet, our wins this year are by wide margins versus last year where almost every game was a nail biter.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

67, you're right about us winning by much bigger margins than last year. We are truly stomping the bad teams.

Unfortunately there are too many of those we've played so far. Bad teams that is.

Once in conference, there are no easy ones, especially on the road. Dan I'm sure has seen enough in his time here so far, to know that's the case.

These teams and coaches know us, and visa versa. Games will be played closer no doubt.

The ONE thing that keeps me from saying we've finally arrived as an A10 force, is that we haven't been tested yet in CLOSE league games.

We're still young, as are a lot of other teams in this conference. We have to prove we can win the close ones, and not just against less talented teams. We have to beat the VCU's and the GW's of this conference head to head, in down to the wire games. Even against teams like UMass, who has owned us in close games for years.

Are we ready to do that? We're going to find out very soon.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Back for the night.
Let me tell you, if this team keeps playing this way, we'll all
be very happy (well maybe not '72) by seasons' end.
Rambone's not being sold, seems unfounded.
I love Hassan and EC. Just solid. Watson is great whenever he's in there.
Gil, OK. Garrett coming along pretty well, but the good news is, Biggie
is fine.
Refs stunk all game long.
I was shocked, when I showed up at the Ryan. I had two vouchers from the toy drive.
There was a mob in front of the ticket office, and me and the midgets
missed the first few minutes of the game.
Someone was actually occupying the seats next to mine, so we sat a few rows up.
Later scaring everyone by appearing on the jumbtron.
Ran into Milan and Blue Man. Kids had a good time.
All in all, a good day in Kingston!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

My section up in 200s was decently filled for this game. A really good performance by the team. Enjoyed Watson and I think everyone else did by the applause he received when he fouled out.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I'm sold if this team shows me it can beat the more or less equally talented A10 teams in close games. Which this year means even the best in the conference! So there's that.

You have to admit, you and everybody else hasn't seen it yet.

I think we'll win some and lose some of those this year, which will still be an improvement.

I am eagerly waiting to see what happens.

As for Earl, he could be what we need to hold our own against the better A10 frontcourts. As in UMass, GW for sure.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

so much for rust.. thought first half was the best offensive half of basketball this year.. Good ball movement... shots in the paint and good outside shooting.. 2nd half was begging for refs to swallow there whistles about 6 minutes in.. Talk about ruining the flow of a game.. Another solid win!! Defense still hard nosed.. Should keep them in most games.. Let the real games begin.. Happy New year to all!!!!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

With appologies to Neil
-- felt I was seeing a team coming together. They're very comfortable with each other.
-- back from the dead: Biggie's best game as a Ram.
-- yep. Earl is outplaying Gil.
-- defense is awesome. Speith a non-factor.
-- good crowd. Smart use of freebies.
-- vinnie Joyce never sounded better. Did Edgewood proud!
-- there's no bad teams in the A10? What!
-- Hassan becoming an all-conference player before our eyes
-- great job by Will G on post-game.
-- bring on the Billikens!
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

To excited? No. Because of the out of conference record and play as predictor of the A-10 season coming up? No. The defense will be force that gets us in the mix for the top of the league, after that in Brooklyn for the auto bid.....anything goes .....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Exeter ram
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Exeter ram »

Iggy loved your comment on my boy Vinnie Joyce .Im a Edgewood boy also. My son gave me the report on a well rounded game by everyone.A little improvement on all phases of the game will show great strides. The effort and team play is there.Fun times ahead
Happy New Year
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Thoughts:
1) Some of us have mentioned in the past that it seems Biggie does well against poor competition, but is a limited contributor against the good teams. I will admit it was nice to see him being a positive factor today, but there were plenty of times where I still noticed he just doesn't quite have it together yet. We'll see how he fares against VCU.
2) Overall it was nice to see the team shoot well today.
3) Garett really seems to be gaining a ton of confidence. It appears the playing time during the Detroit game may have provided a good boost for him. I like the pairing of Garett and TJ on the floor together.
4) I'm still waiting to see who will emerge as the 3rd scoring threat for this team. Right now EC and Hassan are pretty consistent. Gill and Terrell are hovering around 9 points per game. It would nice to see someone step up and become another consistent double digit contributor. As the season continues I would imagine that good teams are going to try to shut down or limit EC's production. I still feel like they are going to need another guy they can count on for 3's and double digit scoring down the stretch when things get tough.
5) I really hope the team can continue to win games up until the VCU game at the very least. They have a real "chance" to roll into that game at an impressive 11-3 with 15 games/half the schedule left. Right now it doesn't seem unrealistic to see this team with a 15-5 record when they enter February.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"Hard to guard", means having three scorers, who score from
different places on the floor.
We have EC outside, Hassan inside, but who's the third man?
Yet to be determined,or maybe not at all?
Right now, I honestly think it may be Garrett instead of Terrell.
Why? Because Garrett seems to have the knack of getting clean looks.
He's not knocking them down, right now, but if he does, the opporunity to
score seems easier for him then Terrell,
Terrell seldom seems to have clear looks at the basket, He has to work harder for his
points, so far.
If they both start finding their offense, then this team will be hard to touch going forward.
Defense shows up every night and now seems our calling card.
I really like what I'm seeing. The best is yet to come.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I don't think it's a coincidence that when we play with confidence, the free throws start falling.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The defense has been exceptional - shut down their top scorer, forced their PG to commit 6 TOs and be a volume scorer. took their 3 pt shooter out of the game. Hassan, my avatar, is becoming a man before our eyes. Feed him the ball moving left, he is tough to stop. Offense is still a work-in-progress but people are playing their roles well. I actually liked Terrell today, he didn't force things and looked smooth on his two made jumpers. We wont lose many games IF we get PG play like that from Biggie and Jarvis.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seems like a "thing" now that TJ is paired with Jarvis and Terrell is paired with Biggie. It is great coaching, really, but I wonder if that makes a JT/Jarvis starting backcourt (like everyone has been assuming is inevitable) somewhat unlikely at all this year. If Biggie can play like the Biggie that played today, that is fine with me.

I really like Watson. I like Gil, too - personally, but Earl needs to be on the floor more. He could legitimately be our third best player overall.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thoughts:
- Have to eat some crow on Minnis - he played his best game of the season tonight and looks like he will continue to start entering A10 play
- I found myself wondering if Watson should start and Biruta should come off the bench. Might be a good 6th man strategy. I don't expect the line up to change but I did wonder
- Since the same 5 guys have started the first 11 games seems unlikely the starting line up will change soon unless we run into some unexpected losses or injuries. Bench play is really shaping up with Watson, Buchanan and Garrett.
- Tremendous play when Biruta passed to EC who then no-look, tough-passed to Martin - not many guys can make that play and make it look so smooth and easy as EC does
- Team is playing very unselfishly...........defending well, passing well, rebounding well and shooting better
- Martin now leads the A10 in FG% at 69% - money in the bank when he gets the ball down low. Footwork and manueverability continues to improve.
- 46% on 3 pointers
- 75% on Free Throws
- They made it look easy
- @ SLU, Fordham and @Duquesne wins could have us 11-3 entering the VCU Game Tuesday January 13th
- @ Fordham, Davidson and St Joe wins could have VCU 13-3 entering the URI Game on the 13th setting the stage for one of the most anticipated, exciting games at the Ryan in some time.
- Unfortunately classes do not start until Wednesday January 21st so students will not be on campus for the VCU game BUT this game should still draw a near sell-out crowd
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Best I've seen URI play this year. Going in, I thought that this could be a tough game for us. Clad i got to the game - I missed Detroit.

When we shoot well, we are a tough team to beat. Usually teams shoot poorly coming off an 11 day break. Clearly, EC was in this game early. Evaluate our play in the first half only - when it mattered. Shooting FTs and FGs are much easier when you are up by 20.

Our defense has been a constant all season, when our half-court offense sputters we give hope to our opponents. Not today. This game was over early. I left with 6 to play when I tired of refs calling touch fouls.

Here's the one complaint Rod and BAR are waiting for. Better coaches would have run clock with 10 minutes to play rather than pushing the offense. They would have worked on set plays with 10 seconds left on the play clock. That's on the coach, not the players. It's hard to duplicate this in practice against yourself, yet doing this successfully is critical in close games that make or break a season.

Is what we saw today an anomaly or a harbinger of a successful conference season? Time will tell. Maybe the team has been practicing too hard until this break and lost their shooting legs. Dan should consider the possibility so that we can finish strong. Finishing the season strong is what I have liked about Dan's teams in the past.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

72, Dan ran clock for about the final six minutes but that's right you were out the door already.