Rhody Hoops - Where We Stand

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Rhody Hoops - Where We Stand

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I have to say I am starting to become really confused by some of the stuff being posted around here tonight. Maybe people are just frustrated after a rough loss...
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

My view of the team after 8 games is that we have a pretty good nucleus, but we are not a deep team and this will hurt us in tough games against the better teams especially on the road. Hurley essentially used 7 players in PC game and three of them combined for 7 points. We have suspect ball handling and shooting. The progress the Rams make over the season will directly correlate to how much Terrell and Garrett improve in their ball handling and shooting skills. We get a steady hand from TJ, but he is no offensive threat. We will get an occasional good game from Minnis and Reischel, but that will only happen against inferior competition. They are non contributors in tough games. The question mark is Watson. So far what we see is limited time and a disappointing contribution. Can he emerge in the remainder of season?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

That's something I forgot to say.
Biggie was our best PG last night.
He continually got into the lane, and made
good passes. He had no turnovers.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, right about Biggie last night. The issue is with him though, is that he can't shoot from the field or the line.

Obie, makes a ton of sense. I would add to that Biruta. We need more from him in games against good teams. Matchups and foul trouble determine his fate most nights.

When Terrell and Jarvis get good, we'll be able to play more of the pressing style that Dan promised us we'd see. Even with that, the lack of quality depth will limit Dan's options.

We are not yet able to play the style Dan wants, no matter what he says. I think he knows that, and I think he already knew it a while ago.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I know Jarvis can shoot better than he's showed.
Terrell has good form and should be better.
Does anyone remember what EC was doing at this time
as a freshman? He was in single figures in 9 of the team's first
13 games!
He, like Terrell, had flashes of brilliance, but didn't dazzle anyone.
Martin was even less of a factor. His first double figure game didn't
happen until January 16, 2014.
So, on Terrell and Garrett, relax. They're freshmen. Inconsistent
by nature.
"The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores,"
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I did see a couple of really nice passes from Garrett last night that got me dreaming of what he'll look like as he gains experience. He's got quite a fastball.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If depth isn't quality depth, then it isn't depth.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Re: depth - We should be deeper than we are by at least one person: Watson. I understand that he may not be all the way caught up on the playbook, but the guy is a much better player than the minutes he has gotten so far, and he brings an interior presence that nobody else on the roster is capable of bringing right now.

Overall I think Dan is doing a terrific job but I don't totally understand his treatment of Watson, and it seems to me that we aren't going to outscheme a lot teams or make a ton of game-changing in-game adjustments. We are going to play the way we are going to play. Which is fine, but that means we need to recruit well and develop the players we get and install a system that incorporates what what our best players do well.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Here's my take on it. We have a 14 man roster. Take out the three walk-ons we are down to 11, then consider the limited utility of Butler and Iffy both of whom do not look like A-10 level players and are transfer candidates, we are down to 9. Then we have three transfers - Reischel, Minnis, Watson who are here to stay, but have made marginal contributions and if we could squeeze out some stronger contribution here, team depth would improve. Next in line we have Garrett and Terrell, understandably both showing freshman effects, but with more experience with every game, they are the future. We are then down to the experience base; Matthews, Martin, Biruta, Buchanan - two seniors and two sophs, with the latter two having the most upside. Our additions next season have to fill in the gaps - some bigs, some quickness and ball handling skills, and some perimeter shooting threats. But as of today without some surprise improvement from the non contributors, we are what we are, and my guess a 18 win team. But we can make the post season, not the NCAA, hopefully the NIT. Did I just say NIT!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I've had some time to digest and calm down - which should be getting easier after adjusting to the fact that my life revolves around a losing program. I'm just defeated. Not mad, not hysterical. Just beaten.

15 years and counting without an NCAA appearance, 8 years and counting without a win past the 1st game of the A10 tournament, 5 years and counting without a PC win, 4 years since any win in the A10 tournament - and the monkey that we got off our back was a cruel and sick joke because that team isn't going to be even top 100 by the end of the year.

I get that we are young. I understand our freshman backcourt tandem will be better in February than now, and better next year than February. I get that we're a better team that we were 3 years ago. I get that we're in a better position as a program. I get that we're poised to do great things...

I'm just fucking sick of it. I'm sick of being "poised." I'm sick of waiting for something that at this point feels like it will never happen. I'm sick of "next year." I'm sick of being "one piece away" which it seems like we eternally are.

We are losers. It's beyond a trend right now, it's a reality. I'd almost rather be brown at this point because at least there's no expectations to not meet. We're stuck in this mediocre vortex where we should expect great things (big school, good conference, high visibility, good facilities, decent history, good precedent for a program), but we're just destined to fall short. Repeatedly.

Again. I get we're going to be better (somehow), but it just seems no matter what we do we just lose.

Maybe it's just an overreaction to yet another bad loss, but you just take a look at the journey you're on sometimes and you realize how far you've fallen. Yeah we're out of a dark time and Hurley has everything in the right direction: but remember how people talk about "the mountain you've climbed" and you look back at all your accomplishments and can be proud or whatever? Well this program is the polar opposite of that right now, and when we look back at the list of what we had done in the late 90s, you really start to see how far we've fallen.

Sorry to further depress everyone today, just have a lot of feels.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote:I've had some time to digest and calm down - which should be getting easier after adjusting to the fact that my life revolves around a losing program. I'm just defeated. Not mad, not hysterical. Just beaten.

15 years and counting without an NCAA appearance, 8 years and counting without a win past the 1st game of the A10 tournament, 5 years and counting without a PC win, 4 years since any win in the A10 tournament - and the monkey that we got off our back was a cruel and sick joke because that team isn't going to be even top 100 by the end of the year.

I get that we are young. I understand our freshman backcourt tandem will be better in February than now, and better next year than February. I get that we're a better team that we were 3 years ago. I get that we're in a better position as a program. I get that we're poised to do great things...

I'm just fucking sick of it. I'm sick of being "poised." I'm sick of waiting for something that at this point feels like it will never happen. I'm sick of "next year." I'm sick of being "one piece away" which it seems like we eternally are.

We are losers. It's beyond a trend right now, it's a reality. I'd almost rather be brown at this point because at least there's no expectations to not meet. We're stuck in this mediocre vortex where we should expect great things (big school, good conference, high visibility, good facilities, decent history, good precedent for a program), but we're just destined to fall short. Repeatedly.

Again. I get we're going to be better (somehow), but it just seems no matter what we do we just lose.

Maybe it's just an overreaction to yet another bad loss, but you just take a look at the journey you're on sometimes and you realize how far you've fallen. Yeah we're out of a dark time and Hurley has everything in the right direction: but remember how people talk about "the mountain you've climbed" and you look back at all your accomplishments and can be proud or whatever? Well this program is the polar opposite of that right now, and when we look back at the list of what we had done in the late 90s, you really start to see how far we've fallen.

Sorry to further depress everyone today, just have a lot of feels.

1 (800) 273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
Languages: English, Spanish
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And just yesterday, Blue Man had us all pumped up.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Unfortunately, everything Blue Man said is true.
In the words of that great Shakespearean actor, Butthead (from "Beavis and Butthead Do America"),
"Uh, this sucks more than anything has ever sucked before."
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

My biggest concern about coaching is how we can be so lost on defensive rotations. I can't count how many times last night where someone, whether it was Gilvydas, Hassan,Terrell, or EC looked completely at a loss for what to do when their man was screened for or set a screen. That left us scrambling to cover ground on either shooters or cutters. My biggest peeve is lack of defensive awareness and we had none last night.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I think our defense has been pretty solid for the most part, short of a few lapses here and there. And I think we've done a nice job of rebounding the ball as well. I'm more concerned with our lack of offense. It's pretty clear that we don't have any consistent shooters on this team, and that will hurt us all season unless somebody besides EC decides to step up. Will Terrell eventually be that guy? Will Garrett start pulling the trigger on the open looks he's been getting? Will Gil abandon the Jekyll and Hyde routine and start playing with more consistency? l I sure hope so because EC can only do so much on his own. And as concerning as our FT shooting has been, I'll take a naive approach and say that we'll get better as the year goes on, if for no other reason than repetition.

All of that aside, I still believe we have a talented group of players on this team so I'm not ready to throw in the towel quite yet. With a lot of youth comes a lot of mistakes, so we'll need to be patient with these guys and things will start to improve; less turnovers, better positioning, better execution, etc. One of the bright spots for me is that these guys all seem to play with a lot of heart and desire every game, so that's a big plus. We sure couldn't say that very often during the Baron years. And more than anything else, I don't really see any dominant teams in the A-10 this year. The league is up for grabs in my opinion, so who's to say we can't make it to the championship? It's not that far-fetched when you look at the talent level across the league compared to recent years.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ramfan85 wrote:Unfortunately, everything Blue Man said is true.
In the words of that great Shakespearean actor, Butthead (from "Beavis and Butthead Do America"),
"Uh, this sucks more than anything has ever sucked before."

I think its true, generally I judge URI with keaney blue glasses. Last night I looked at us down like 11 running down the court to pass the ball around the perimeter and just choke the game away when it was competitive and I thought we looked silly. TJ Buchanan running the free throw line. Our lone big 6"7 at that point.

68 teams make the dance. Like nobody is asking for greatness, being 1/70 isn't much to ask for in terms of good college basketball. Lot of too close to the trees to see the forest here.

To have years to plot and plan a way to succeed and then get to the moment where you show all that and lose?? You're just not very good at what you do. Hope we get better.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

HEY, BLUE MAN….WOULD THIS MAKE YOU HAPPIER OR PUT YOU TOTALLY OVER THE EDGE?????? A LITTLE PERSPECTIVE GOES A LONG WAY…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8zDAGn ... freload=10
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

AAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

bressler3south wrote:HEY, BLUE MAN….WOULD THIS MAKE YOU HAPPIER OR PUT YOU TOTALLY OVER THE EDGE?????? A LITTLE PERSPECTIVE GOES A LONG WAY…..
Not funny...
That's not part of the process...it IS the process, and why we both feel as sick today as we do.
5 straight...16 years...
This sucks!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yeah, I predicted 8-3 and that is probably going to happen. They beat Nebraska but negated that win with the loss to GT. So I think we probably do go 8-3, but they better play well in the next three or they could lose one or all three. NEITHER DETROIT OR DELAWARE StATE have been pushovers so far, and Brown just beat PC so watch out.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This team's psyche is fragile I would guess right now.

Beware Saturday afternoon. There are no gimmes.

This staff and team has the better part of two weeks to work on some things, including working their ASSES off shooting FT's, before A10 play starts.

Holidays or not, find a gym or a hoop and practice, practice, practice them.

Will they put the work in trying to get better at it, or not?

I'm sure they all say they want to win, well do something about it!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The team's psyche is fragile or is it the fanbase who is fragile and they're projecting their issues on to the team?

Several players spent the off-season noticeably reshaping their bodies but now we're worried they won't put in work in season when they did all off-season?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR2, they obviously put in some serious work.

It's how much work they put toward improving their FT shooting. Not enough, obviously.

That's the issue here.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The team's psyche is fragile or is it the fanbase who is fragile and they're projecting their issues on to the team?
Exactly right. And it is not the whole fanbase, either. The team is fine. Ahead of pace as far as my prediction for the season, actually. It is upsetting to lose that game to PC because I honestly do not think PC is any good and that we are better than them. But we will probably lose to other teams this year that I think we are better than. It's just how it goes. You can't react to every loss like it is an indictment of the program. We aren't ever going to run the table.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Where are we now and what is the potential both this year and next year? Let's take a look at a mystery team that I think is pretty similar. Coming into this year we haven't been to the tournament in 15 seasons, have had 3 straight losing seasons, and had lost 4 in a row against PC. We have a sophomore guard who made the preseason 2nd team all conference list after being the co-rookie of the year last year. We have a sophomore forward who is on the preseason all conference defensive team in large part due to his blocking ability. And we've added two talented freshman guards. Last year we went 14-18 (5-11). The year before 8-21 (3-13). The year before that 7-24 (4-12).

Now the mystery team. Coming into the year they had an 8 year NCAA tournament drought, 5 straight losing seasons, and 5 straight losses against their arch rival. They had a junior guard who was preseason first team in his conference. They had another very talented junior guard who would earn a place on an all conference team. And they had a freshman forward who would go on to win conference freshman of the year and was known for his blocking abilily. The three years before the season I'm looking at they went 7-19 (5-13), 6-20 (2-16) and 5-22 (5-14).

Can anyone name the mystery team that looks very similar to what we looked like going into this season? What school and season?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, we won 14 games last year, so that's as much as whatever
team's last two years, combined.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So you think we're better than the mystery team? I have to say Rod, I honestly thought you'd get this one right away.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I apologize, I got the records from bbstate.com and they don't have the same records as gorhody, so I'll just say that the mystery team is the 1986-87 URI Rams. A team that went 20-10 (12-6), lost to Providence by 10 in Providence and went to the NIT. A team that matured into the 1987-88 Sweet 16 team. Similar talent at a similar level of development.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I apologize, I got the records from bbstate.com and they don't have the same records as gorhody, so I'll just say that the mystery team is the 1986-87 URI Rams. A team that went 20-10 (12-6), lost to Providence by 10 in Providence and went to the NIT. A team that matured into the 1987-88 Sweet 16 team. Similar talent at a similar level of development.
Really? Who plays the role of Kenny Green?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hassan Martin is a pretty reasonable substitute. He's not yet the scorer that Green was, but he's already made a big jump from last year to this year and last year he did break Green's mark for blocks as a freshman.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry RR2, I thought you were referring to a current team.
Kenny was a far better offensive player than Hassan.
He was also longer, with a huge reach.
The difference is, the change in coaches from half court offense/zone defense,
Brendan Malone,to Tom Penders, who made basketball fun.
Garrick was considering going out for football. Much as Harrrick did
later for Cat, Penders saved Tommy's career, and made him a star.
There was also the best point guard in modern Ram history in Silk.
A solid scorer and all around player in Johnny Evans. We have nobody who remotely
replicates him.
A serviceable center in Bonzie Colson.
Achilles heel was, not much depth.
The main thing Penders leaned on was the incredible mental toughness
of these guys. Lots of leaders. Killers on the road.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

No need to apologize. You're so well versed in the history of the program that when you didn't know what team I was talking about it made me take a second look at the numbers. I think the difference in records comes from bbstate might not count wins against non D1 programs where the official totals from URI would. For instance, we played Bryant in 84-85, 85-86 and 86-87 before they went D1.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Sorry, but Martin has a long way to go to equal Kenny Green. he had a way of dominating a game. His toughness was unparalleled. No one wanted to mess with him. No disrespect to Martin, but we're talking apples to oranges.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Green destroyed Derrick Coleman in the NCAA.
He dominated the highly touted UNLV front line, at UNLV.
He rarely got outplayed by his opposite number.
Very long, good mid range shot, and nice power moves in the post.
A real game face that Marvin Hagler would have been proud of.
All this on knees that would keep him from being an NBA star.
I love Hassan Martin, but, yes, miles to go before being mentioned
with our best big man ever.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

The first time I saw Kenny hobble across the floor at Keaney in street clothes, I thought it would be nice if someone helped him. I didn't think he was going to make all the way to the locker room.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Kenny Green with a good set of knees was an AA.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Sorry RR2, I thought you were referring to a current team.
Kenny was a far better offensive player than Hassan.
He was also longer, with a huge reach.
The difference is, the change in coaches from half court offense/zone defense,
Brendan Malone,to Tom Penders, who made basketball fun.
Garrick was considering going out for football. Much as Harrrick did
later for Cat, Penders saved Tommy's career, and made him a star.
There was also the best point guard in modern Ram history in Silk.
A solid scorer and all around player in Johnny Evans. We have nobody who remotely
replicates him.
A serviceable center in Bonzie Colson.
Achilles heel was, not much depth.
The main thing Penders leaned on was the incredible mental toughness
of these guys. Lots of leaders. Killers on the road.
I remember that team so well being a freshman in 84 with Garrick and Owens.

I see no reason why we could not be a good pressing team with the current players compared to the 87 and 88 teams except for maybe hand checking fouls and coaching staff.
Jared Terrell is similar athletically to Garrick.
EC is similar athletically to John Evans (just with more handle, offensive aggressiveness.)
Garrett is a very poor man's Silk, but TJ is far better suited for the press than Jim Christian.
Hassan is a good shot blocker on the back end. (not quite Kenny but still impressive).
I am of the opinion that Watson while much shorter is a better athlete than Bonzie Colson.
Sena was pretty good at moving his feet but was not super athletic/JR might be able to match him.

I would not want to see Gil playing the press much with his propensity for silly fouls.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

One thing I find interesting is how often people in here say that we need to improve this or that before the games become tough. The schedule we've played so far is pretty representative of what we'll face going forward. We're 5-3 in division one games this year and those eight games leave us with the 19th toughest schedule according to ESPN and 20th according to bbstate. The average RPI of teams we've faced so far is 133. The average for the rest of the season is 139. This idea that we've played an easy schedule or things will get much more difficult soon just isn't supportable. We've certainly got a handful of difficult games the rest of the way, but we also have some real cupcakes.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Had some time to reflect on the season this morning - I think we miss amaan more than Hare. We need a big body who knows his role and Mike would have provided that. Too bad he had his issues.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in. I just read Jay Bilas's rankings from today and he has URI second in the A-10 (65th overall in the country). Only VCU is in front of them at 15th and the only other A-10 team to make his rankings of the top 68 teams in the country is Davidson at 66th.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That sounds good, but you can be sure that also means that Bilas thinks the A10 is a one bid league this season, too.

He's going to be wrong by at least one, if not two.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Doesn't Bilass include conference champs in his list of 68? I believe his list is based on who is making the field of 68 in the tournament. I may be wrong though.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

theblueram wrote:Doesn't Bilass include conference champs in his list of 68? I believe his list is based on who is making the field of 68 in the tournament. I may be wrong though.
He doesn't. He's been pretty outspoken that the best 68 teams should be in and conference winners should not receive an automatic bid.

If he was including conference leaders then URI wouldn't be in his top 68.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He's always been a BCS guy. He'd love to banish all non BCS
schools to basketball purgatory.
Same with almost everyone at ESPN, especially that pantload
Dickie V.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm surprised he has us ranked ahead of PC. I guess the Brown loss really soured him on them.

Again, way too early to be counting chickens.

True Rod, true. Vitale will at least praise us when we do something good. He remembers our good teams back in the day.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That's only because Vitale was friend with Jim Harrick,
not because he has any objectivity.

THE DOOKIES, BAY BEEEE!!!
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Disagree about Dickie V, it seems like every year after the selection show he sticks up for a team that is not from the power conferences and says they got snubbed...I have also heard Dickie go on a rant about how teams from the power conferences refuse to schedule games on road vs non power conference teams
Clapton is God
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Vitale likes to portray himself as the "people's guy", in contrast to the P5 shills that are everywhere.

As for Duke, JUST ONCE would I like to see us knock them from their high horse before I take the dirt nap.

Besides winning a national title, that's my dream.

Although, as good as they are this year, maybe we'll have to wait.

Hey, maybe we'll get an 8 or a 9 seed in the Dance, win that game, and then play them.

Maybe we'll have a better shot, if we end up playing them at Mohegan in 2 years, although I can see Coach K saying nope, that's too much like a home game for URI......
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rambone 78 wrote:I'm surprised he has us ranked ahead of PC. I guess the Brown loss really soured him on them.

Again, way too early to be counting chickens.

True Rod, true. Vitale will at least praise us when we do something good. He remembers our good teams back in the day.
He has PC at 46
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You're right. Looking at the wrong list.