Rhody Hoops - Where We Stand

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Rhody Hoops - Where We Stand

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

I think it would be fun to see where we stand in the various national rating systems at various points in the season.

At the beginning of the year, Ken Pomroy had us at #105, and that projected out to a 12-15 record (the Santa Clara/Georgia Tech games weren't listed, and it was based on home/road/rating breakdowns).

As of now, we're 5-2, and rated 64th, with a projected 20-9 record.

Next up is against #53 Providence College, with given our ratings and it being a road game, puts us at 32% to win (last week, we were 19% think? Don't quote me on that).

It's something to keep in mind that ratings are helpful but obviously don't encompass everything...it doesn't take injury or subjective aspects of the game into account (and basketball has a lot of "stuff" that happens that aren't tracked objectively), and because of sample size, there is a lot of variation at this point in the year.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Rhody Hoops - Where We Stand

Unread post by section(105) »

For me, after Wednesday nite, we/ll have a better read on this team. Going into the A-10 road sked, a win against PC will be a super confidence builder, seems there is no runaway favorite in the A-10....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

This is one year I wish this game was in February. I think both teams will look very different by the end of the season
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

seanmc94 wrote:This is one year I wish this game was in February. I think both teams will look very different by the end of the season
This post reads less convincing than the one on the other thread…….

If URI and PC played in July, I'd be thrilled.

ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I know it's still too early to make projections, but I'd take 20-9 in a heartbeat.

I think that means 8-3 OOC and 12-6 conference.

Other than a projected loss at PC, the Detroit game at home is the one other OOC game that could be trouble if we don't play well.

The fact that game is the only one we play in 18 days could be a problem. Hopefully not.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I only see an 11 day gap. Delaware state on Saturday, Detroit a week later on the 20th, then Brown on New Years Eve
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True, it's a 7 day gap to Detroit, then 11 days to Brown. We're more likely to be rusty for Brown.

Although I think Detroit is a more dangerous opponent than Brown.

Of course Brown will most likely give PC fits tomorrow night.

Reason? PC might be looking ahead to Wednesday night!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Don't sleep on Delaware State either. They beat Wake Forest at Wake Forest this year.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wake Forest is terrible.

Having said that, we can't sleep on anyone.

Look at what happened to Michigan.

Intensity is the key. If we have it for 40 minutes, we'll beat the teams we're supposed to beat.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Roll eyes at RhodyMBB tweeting about RPI on Dec 7.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Its been a month, cut some slack jack.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The collective RPI for the bottom 6 A10 teams is putrid.

That's a sure RPI killer going forward.

Will that change much in the next month, before league play starts?

Not likely.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Remember when we were the putrid team bringing down the A10 RPI? I'm sure better teams were pi$$ed that they were brought down by playing us and playing other conference teams that played against us.

The better RPI at this point tells me that we are playing a relatively competitive OOC scheduler. This is good because A10 teams can't always count on conference play helping them much.
NCAAs or Bust!
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Roll eyes at RhodyMBB tweeting about RPI on Dec 7.
I have no problem with it. Perhaps someone that's not paying attention will see this and then go buy some tickets.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

URI96 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Roll eyes at RhodyMBB tweeting about RPI on Dec 7.
I have no problem with it. Perhaps someone that's not paying attention will see this and then go buy some tickets.
Exactly. Regular fans will dismiss it as an eyeroll, but dumb ones (there are far too many of ours to count) could be inspired to come down to the Ryan Center to watch their top 25 rams!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Joe Lunardi just came out with his latest bracket math and boy, it does not look pretty for the A-10. He currently has one, yes one, team from our conference in the tournament if it started today. This shows how poorly we've done OOC this season. It's VCU, on the 8 seed level. Compare that to 9 Big Ten teams in, and 7 Big East, the A-10 is way behind when it comes to building an argument for bids come March. Not much changes once conference play starts in terms of differentiating yourself as a conference. For those that are ESPN Insiders, I'll post the link below. Just thought it was relevant to show that we need to do extremely well in conference to be in the conversation. For what it's worth, he doesn't have Nebraska even in the last 8 out. PC is projected as a 9 seed.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... racketMath
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PC as a 9? Please.

I guess as the conference goes, teams like PC would get seeded higher than they probably deserve.

It happened with the A10 last year.

Anyway, RPI projections aside, the at-large discussions will be extremely fluid as we get closer to SS.

To get in A10 teams will have to kill it in conference for sure. 12-6 won't be enough except for maybe VCU.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

OK It's early, But this is still fun # 40 ahead of PC and VCUhttp://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sagarin/
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Mike still think the a10 gets 3-4 teams in when all is said and done
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Rhode Island

E.C. Mathews is a baller. Fact. He looks more and more like a future pro. Guys who can get their shot in a variety of ways are rare in this conference these days. Mathews is one of those guys and the Rams are riding him to victory at a nice clip to start the year. However, it isn’t just about E.C. up in the land of chowder and the Farrelly Brothers. Hassan Martin has picked up where he left off last season, averaging 11 & 7, and could really develop into a big time forward in the league. Freshman Jared Terrell looks as good as advertised, not an easy task when you look at what most freshman are doing this time of year, and will definitely continue to improve. The Rams loss to Georgia Tech really didn’t seem that bad when I watched the game. It was a great game between two teams playing really hard and at a pretty high level. What really impressed me about Rhody though was what they did to Southern Miss on the road following that loss. A 32-point arse whuppin’ is hard to pull off at home against a high school team. Rhode Island made it happen on the road! Well done Rams, well done. Gilvydas Biruta should continue to frustrate and flat-out piss off opponents for the remainder of the season with his toughness and refusal to quit on the boards. It looks like Rhody should be a tough squad this year and could very well be in the “top four mix” come March.

http://www.a10talk.com/a-10-rankings-via-cold-stone/
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I guess this writer didn't see the first half of the GT game?
Great game? Really?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

he may have only caught the second half
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Where we stand?

A young team that can't hit free throws or make in game adjustments against equal competition in a mild away environment.

An NIT team at best this year...and back to our favorite "one year away" mantra
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Don't agree with the in-game adjustments, Dan coached a solid game tonight. Extended pressure when Dunn was off the floor, moved TJ to the foul line on Offense when Gil couldn't handle the ball there, etc. We couldn't contain Dunn, game set match. 20 pts, 9 rebs, 4 steals, 2 dimes. Our PGs 4 pts, 4 assists, 1-6 shooting.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

But if no one can contain Dunn, the defense needs to be adjusted. I know Dan hates to play zone, but when you have a guard that can get to the hoop so easily against man, why not at least try it, especially when that guard is not a good outside shooter.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

No shame in losing on the road at PC. The team however now needs to run the table in the remaining OOC schedule. Three games all at home with Rhody a favorite in all. It will be a major disappointment if they lose any of these.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

78, you're right. Look at PC. They played zone against us, and they hardly ever play it.

Usually teams who don't play a certain type of defense very often, don't because they aren't very good at it.

Worked for them pretty well tonight though. Yeah, I know. Young guys.

RF1, we'll stomp Del. State. Detroit will not be a pushover. Could be close, with our stellar FT shooting who knows.

Brown we will stomp too. Don't know why, but we will.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We went to a zone for 1 play....Cartwright lobbed it over the top to Chukwu for a dunk. We never went back. Zone is a defense you have to spend A LOT of time practicing, see Syracuse for example. Not many teams go back and forth. PC has played zone for large spells in the last 3 years and likely spends a good amount of time on it in practice.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That's not true Bone, whether out of necessity (when they had 6 healthy bodies) or due to personnel PC has played a lot of zone in the Cooley era.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oh, and we got FIVE whole points off the bench tonight!
PC played nothing but zone last year, to preserve Cotton, and
keep people out of foul trouble.
Dan knew the zone was coming. You still have to execute, and Gil
scuttled most of what was planned.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

I'm guessing we're going to see A LOT more zone the rest of the year. Makes our opportunities in transition that much more important if we can't solve a zone matchup.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Those two plays where Gil didn't catch the passes...the 2nd one was obviously his fault, no excuses, should have been easy. The first one was on a hard fastball, low and away from Hassan. He could have caught it, but it wasn't easy, not really a good pass. But, I agree, overall, Gil had a bad game., and I think he knows it. You could see how pissed he was on the bench at himself.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:Where we stand?

A young team that can't hit free throws or make in game adjustments against equal competition in a mild away environment.

An NIT team at best this year...and back to our favorite "one year away" mantra
Well on that note, we will be better next year. Our two best players tonight were sophomores. Our other best player is a freshman. But we will also be better this year. Losing sucks but good things are coming.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:78, you're right. Look at PC. They played zone against us, and they hardly ever play it.
Yeah I'm not sure where this comes from. They play a pretty good amount of zone.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:Those two plays where Gil didn't catch the passes...the 2nd one was obviously his fault, no excuses, should have been easy. The first one was on a hard fastball, low and away from Hassan. He could have caught it, but it wasn't easy, not really a good pass. But, I agree, overall, Gil had a bad game., and I think he knows it. You could see how pissed he was on the bench at himself.
The worst drop of the game was Reischell's off the pass from Jared. Hit him with a no-look for an easy dunk and I don't think he saw it before it clanked off his hands and out of bounds.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Those two plays where Gil didn't catch the passes...the 2nd one was obviously his fault, no excuses, should have been easy. The first one was on a hard fastball, low and away from Hassan. He could have caught it, but it wasn't easy, not really a good pass. But, I agree, overall, Gil had a bad game., and I think he knows it. You could see how pissed he was on the bench at himself.
The worst drop of the game was Reischell's off the pass from Jared. Hit him with a no-look for an easy dunk and I don't think he saw it before it clanked off his hands and out of bounds.
Yup, and Jarelle came out, never to return.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Then Reischel didn't see the floor again for the night. Does Dan all of a sudden have a tight leash on him? Earl and Jarelle played a combined 6 minutes tonight. Shows to me that he just doesn't trust them in big moments. Which leads to us not truly having good depth. Thank the lord that EC had his best game of the year tonight, put this team on his back. If he didn't, this game wouldn't have been close. We simply didn't deserve to win tonight.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rodfromcranston wrote:Oh, and we got FIVE whole points off the bench tonight!
PC played nothing but zone last year, to preserve Cotton, and
keep people out of foul trouble.
Dan knew the zone was coming. You still have to execute, and Gil
scuttled most of what was planned.
this. the game plan was textbook how to beat it. didnt execute.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm officially deeply concerned about Dan. I feel like he's done a lot of good for this program, but the jury is still out on his situational coaching ability during game time.
I am deeply concerned about this.
I'm also very concerned about these players understanding for how one another plays. I almost wonder if things are a bit too structured. They don't seem to move together as a unit or understand what to do when their teammate makes a move one way or the other. It seems like they just aren't on the same page or have a good understanding or feel for one another. I almost wonder if the team should just spend an entire practice scrimmaging 5 on 5 so they can learn to gel together. This practice would of course be AFTER they practice their free throws.

DAN'S PROPOSED PRACTICE ITINERARY:
DAY 1) FREE THROWS, UM...FREE THROWS, AND OH YEAH...FREE THROWS!!!!
DAY 2) 5 v 5 scrimmage....with no offensive plays/sets. Just let the guys play and allow a chemistry and flow to develop between the guys.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

pc played zone against poor shooting teams and against creighton in the BET. man 70% of the time last year.

zone tonight because you can't shoot.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

"They dont understand," I would say so when they are playing against a zone and the backside guy hides behind the back defender. How can someone pass it to him across court or when they get in the lane? the 1 time a guy moved to be open JT knocked down a 3.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The bottom 1/3 group of the Prediction win/loss record is where we stand.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

actually, we are right on my pace, i had us 20-9
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Zone also tonight because EC would have had 40 if you played man.

The stuff about Dan and the guys feeling comfortable together....umm our 4 best players are FR and SO. So yeah they aren't totally in sync yet, if you say this in February and it's still true you have something to be concerned about. Not 8 games into Terrell or Garretts careers, two big cogs if this team is going to max out it's potential.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Garrett looks overwhelmed right now. I know he's a lot better than what he's showing. You guys were right. I thought because of the type of competition he played against at ND, he'd be more ready. I was wrong. We'll see how much he can progress in the next few weeks.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm with twisted. I predicted 20-9 and when I went game by game this is the record I had them at to this point.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm where I predicted them too, but the way the games have been played, the GT game should have been a win.

We're not going to be out of any game the rest of the year. That's a good thing, but we've GOT to stop having these bad stretches, and have to learn to finish.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We had a coach who "let them play".
His name was Jerry DeGregorio. The worst coach in
D-1 history.
Is that what someone really wants?
I sure as hell don't.