Game #8: @ Providence College - GameDay!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #8: @ Providence College 7pm Wednesday

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote:TP
You need a lesson in sarcasm.

Me:

"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Now I think we can't afford to lose to them. At least I will not accept it! Must win! Or suffer nasty embarrassment.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

TruePoint wrote:
theblueram wrote:TP
You need a lesson in sarcasm.

Me:

That was drawn by Dunn wasn't it? Sloppy like his play. OH SNAP!
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Bad game. Clear PC was looking ahead to us as soon as kentucky was over. I don't expect this team to show up on wednesday...I expect a dirty grind out game in the low 60s...but if they do, we roll them by 20.

Our half court will kill the team that showed up tonight.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

It really does hurt the significance of a victory over PC and makes it even more important that URI comes away with a victory. And they better beat Brown too. Brown shot lights out from three. I doubt they will duplicate it against URI. I hope URI doesn't have to shoot threes like Brown did to win because they probably can't. PC could react in one of two ways after this loss: be inspired to go all out against URI or have an eroision of confidence after a second straight loss. Hope option 2 is the way they go. Make it 3 straight losses then win a bunch afterwards to make URI look good.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

See what good free throw shooting can do?
Hasn't Brown won two of the last three? Guessing their annual game is going the way of the Assumption games of years ago.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

can you shoot 3's? can you pressure D? you can win.

pc can stomp uri in this game coming off 2 bad losses or get completely stomped. dunn was horrendous with the ball and like i said in another post, no one can dribble the ball to create offense. if you pressure pc, and shoot over 40% for the game, you'll win.

we can't even hit FT's this year.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unfortunately, I'm expecting PC to play a lot better on Wed.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

i mean they COULD play as bad as @BC and tonight... but it probably isn't terribly likely.

pressure defense will probably knock PC out unless they get a magical shooting night.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

For me the Brown victory only puts more emphasis on our need to bring nothing less than our A game. In all phases, especially free throws, pressure on the ball, boards, protect and share the ball, some balanced scoring, bench contributions and frosh standing strong in the Dunk environment. This our recipe for wins?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I've been saying PC sucks all along. Now we are all on egg shells not wanting to lose to a crap team.

Uri should win this game. I will be disappointed if they lose to a PC team that is middle of the road.

The pro golfers brother was dominant on the boards, at defense, and even posted up PC.

So long as we play D, rebound and play decisive and confident on offense this game is uri's to lose.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The brown loss make PC's "any time, any place" fan chant hilarious. I guess they can claim that they only show up when there are more than 10 fans in the stands.

So which URI team is going to show up? If its the GT opponent, URI will be glad that it is a nearby road game.

Watson's play has made me forget Jordan Hare who might have achieved Jon Clark greatness.

Will on-again, off-again Biggie Minnis show up for this game or will he disappear or worse?

Let's face it - URI is challenged to score from anywhere outside of 10 feet.

EC needs to make PC respect him - and then play smart and not force his offense.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

I don't think this is the PC team we will see on Wednesday night. Cooley will have them ready and I think it will be a tough grind with the team that wants it more winning the game...
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Expect a quick hook for Biggie, if the offense bogs down.
Dan told me our guards are going to need to make shots.
Expect a quick hook for Biggie if the offense bogs down.
He really loves Garrett, but he said the size of Kansas and GT, really threw
Garrett's game off.
Dan is trying to figure when Garrett will be the man this year. My guess is,
he looking for a breakout game from Jarvis at some point, to make
the move to starter.
He also loves the fire Terrell shows all the time. He said in practice, Terrell gets
really angry when he makes a mistake, and doubles his efforts.
Dan said Terrell has the same "soul" as TJ. That's a really good thing.

Now, people.....let's not get too smug. I've been around long enough to have
learned that the unexpected is to be expected in this game.
For instance, in 1979, we beat PC by 44 points and later in the season
lost to the same team by 8 points!
Jack Kraft had a FIVE win team beat an NCAA bound PC team early in his time here.
Usually some player you wouldn't expect, has a big game.
Given the up and down nature of both teams, who knows what we'll
see tomorrow night?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I say Youncofski gets 30. Oh wait, that was a dream I had last night.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Good viewpoint, rod. Expect the unexpected.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote:People who don't think PC is our biggest rival weren't around when there were brawls on the court, brawls in the stands and brawls outside the Civic Center. I've never felt hatred towards UMass like I do for that despicable institution.
I was around when the brawls were on the court. However, since moving out of RI, I don't see the day to day pro PC coverage in the paper and lack of coverage for URI, nor do I see the lack of respect for our state university, so PC has kind of become an afterthought. They are just another team to me. Sure, I'm happy when we beat that team, but no longer obsessed with it. Once that game is over, I'm ready to move onto the next one. That said, I guess perhaps I'm not as indifferent as I thought. If PC is in the tournament, I don't root for them, and I hope the whole Big East goes down in flames. So perhaps Billyboy and Bressler are right.

But I still want to crush UMass twice later this season.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:People who don't think PC is our biggest rival weren't around when there were brawls on the court, brawls in the stands and brawls outside the Civic Center. I've never felt hatred towards UMass like I do for that despicable institution.
I was around when the brawls were on the court. However, since moving out of RI, I don't see the day to day pro PC coverage in the paper and lack of coverage for URI, nor do I see the lack of respect for our state university, so PC has kind of become an afterthought. They are just another team to me. Sure, I'm happy when we beat that team, but no longer obsessed with it. Once that game is over, I'm ready to move onto the next one. That said, I guess perhaps I'm not as indifferent as I thought. If PC is in the tournament, I don't root for them, and I hope the whole Big East goes down in flames. So perhaps Billyboy and Bressler are right.

But I still want to crush UMass twice later this season.
I have been in brawls at both. PC kids are more apt to be pussies and jump you or start shit when you aren't looking, UMass kids will throw shit in your face before. Both are equally classless, fuckheaded fan bases. UMass honestly more so in my interactions. That said - I know a fair amount of decent friar fans. I am yet to run into a single UMass alum, save for Thorr Bjorn, that isn't a classless, useless, piece of shit.

This week though, none of that matters because there isn't a second chance at PC this season. Only this one. I'M TIRED OF HEARING THIS SHIT IT'S BEEN FOUR FUCKING YEARS FOR CHRISTS SAKE LETS GET THIS ONE>
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Blue Man, any chance you can get Dan to allow you in the huddle during timeouts?

If this team needs a kick in the ass during games, you are the man to do it!!!! :twisted:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote:Blue Man, any chance you can get Dan to allow you in the huddle during timeouts?

If this team needs a kick in the ass during games, you are the man to do it!!!! :twisted:
URI needs to hire him. I can see the introductions before the game. "Assistant coaches, Jimmy Carr, Luke Murray, David Cox and Blue Man."......and the crowd goes wild!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As much as I enjoyed last night I strongly believe it is not a good omen for our game. I just don't see the Fairies, sorry Friars laying an egg 3 games in a row. With our luck I actually see Cartright making not one but two 3 pointers against us. I am looking forward to TJ playing Dunn a lot and shutting him down.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think Dan's nuts, and one other nut in the huddle will
just confuse things.
From what Dan said, Terrell and TJ are the ass kickers on this team.
Of course, Blue Man would add to the mix.

Yes, Eli#10, some player on either side usually emerges to mess up
what everyone thought would happen.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I can see Garrett covering Cartwright but not Dunn. We need JT and TJ to have good defensive games on Dunn and Henton. PC missed a lot of close shots. I don't see that happening again.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Hah I think Dan has more rage in his left hand than I have in my whole body, he takes it to another level. We'll be jacked up enough.

And it's pretty clear that Jared's linebacker frame and Hurley rage will be more than enough to get anyone hyped.

I think PC will give us a game. Packed houses will do that. We're equal on talent and youth, I expect a barnburner and a 2 possession game either way.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Tyler Ulis for Kentucky is 5'9" and absolutely destroyed Dunn's
ball handling.
Sometimes a smaller, quicker man can cause lots of problems.

I think Dan should goof on the PC fans by being wheeled out in a straight jacket.
He's make ESPN's Top 10 for sure.
He said he loved playing in the Civic Center as a SH player.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:
I think Dan should goof on the PC fans by being wheeled out in a straight jacket.
He's make ESPN's Top 10 for sure.
He said he loved playing in the Civic Center as a SH player.
That would be hysterical!
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This whole "because of Kentucky" thing is all BS, we were rolled by Kansas then lost a close game and we eventually bounced back ON THE ROAD. PC will play better Wednesday night but they looked horrid and undisciplined.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Brown isn't very good. Period. Having said that, last night was a lesson for us: Don't take anyone lightly, even at home.

It wasn't just one Brown player that went off on PC. They had balanced scoring from several guys.

Means to me that PC at this stage anyway, isn't that good either. However, they can play a lot better than that, and it's up to us to NOT let them do that.

We've already seen our own team this year. We can be very good, we can also be pretty bad. Sometimes in the same game.

The only thing certain, is that nothing is certain.
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

skwalk47 wrote:Anyone have an extra single ticket? Thinking about shooting down from Boston but I think I will be solo so I figured I would see if anyone on here had one before buying a single myself.
Skwalk47, I sent you a PM.
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

skwalk47 wrote:Anyone have an extra single ticket? Thinking about shooting down from Boston but I think I will be solo so I figured I would see if anyone on here had one before buying a single myself.
Promised a ticket to a friend who I wasn't sure would come, but he is. Come down and enjoy the game anyway!
Go Rhody!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

eli#10 wrote:As much as I enjoyed last night I strongly believe it is not a good omen for our game. I just don't see the Fairies, sorry Friars laying an egg 3 games in a row. With our luck I actually see Cartright making not one but two 3 pointers against us. I am looking forward to TJ playing Dunn a lot and shutting him down.
I agree.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I've been to several games through the years where PC was just beaten. They looked like a different team each time against us. I expect their best effort. I only hope the team does, too.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm hoping we don't overlook PC in looking forward to Delaware State.
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody74 wrote:Good podcast by the ProJo writers.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/college/content/20141209-pick-and-pop-college-hoops-podcast-rivalry-week-in-rhode-island.ece
KMac praises PC scheduling and criticizes URI's even though he admits to not knowing much about URI's schedule.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:Good podcast by the ProJo writers.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/college/content/20141209-pick-and-pop-college-hoops-podcast-rivalry-week-in-rhode-island.ece
KMac praises PC scheduling and criticizes URI's even though he admits to not knowing much about URI's schedule.

He liked it enough to spend a few days in Orlando covering two of URI's three games there.

Any good journalist should know that if he doesn't know much about something, he shouldn't comment on it. I guess the journalism standards at SU are not very good.

Anyone notice that a stringer was also used for the Southern Miss game. I wonder how many of URI's away A-10 games will be covered by the Projo. As usual, PC has had a Projo staffer at every game thus far.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

If we want to be taken seriously in our own state (we seldom are), we need to win this game. Nothing else to it.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes I want to watch us EARN enhanced coverage from Projo.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Key to beating PC in my opinion---I have watched almost all of their games (hate PC more than anyone)

1. Shut Henton down--by far and away thier best scorer--has a very good shot from 3 and can drive at will.....we need to double team him when he gets the ball or Terrell needs to be totally locked on him on every defensive possession.....if he gets in rhythym we could be in trouble

2. Play off DUNN.....he is a very good ball handler and will blow by any of our guards with his speed. Play off of him and force him to make shots....he is not a good shooter.....he loves to drive and kick the ball out to an open shooter or he willl just attack the basket....give him 10 feet and this way he can't drive and create for others and has to make shots

3. Solid D.....defense will be key.....can't let their bigs get in good position down low

4. Make shots.....they will play zone and we are going to need to play uptempo and try to make plays off the break and hit shots if we are in half court sets.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Ok first things first.
-PC is dreadful from 3pt range; 21.1% against Brown; 31.9% as a team; Henton is even worse at 31.7%
-PC's two leading scorers are Henton and Harris. Since Dunn turns the ball over a lot, if you play tough defense on Henton and Harris, Dunn is going to struggle to dish the ball off and he's going to be a turnover machine. If Rhody focuses too much on Dunn, Harris will have a big game. If you take away Dunn's primary options, he'll be worthless and he'll be feeding us/Rhody buckets instead of his big men.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I doubt they play zone. They haven't played zone all year. Brown harrassed them with an in your face man defense. Our defense is much better than Brown. Suffocating D will be key. I want to see us kick the shit out them on their own court. Although this game is always unpredictable I see a win coming our way. Who is going to be the star? One always emerges for one of these teams. I think JR might be it for some reason.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My guess is Terrell. Once his shots start falling, the sky's the limit. He's also not likely to be intimidated by the crowd.

PC knows our players, except Watson, JT, and JG. They are the guys who will make the difference, if they play well.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Rhody smells blood in the water...
PC is going to need a bigger boat.

Edited: Added movie clip. Priceless!
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

They lost to Brown two yrs ago then beat us. The coach needs to remind the team of that. Although this isn't a big game for PC (according to their fans) they always seem to get up for it.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dan is expecting a zone against us.
Cooley is no fool. Zones give us fits, and
we are not a good shooting team.
PC's size out of a zone could make things difficult,
if we don't move the ball around quickly.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Dan is expecting a zone against us.
Cooley is no fool. Zones give us fits, and
we are not a good shooting team.
PC's size out of a zone could make things difficult,
if we don't move the ball around quickly.
No O/U yet, but hammer the under, whatever it is, when it comes out.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I wonder if Butler will see more time
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Roz wrote:I wonder if Butler will see more time
I don't know. He can't guard anyone. Can't have that tomorrow night. I think it will just be an old fashioned slug fest.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I certainly like our chances on the boards- good team rebounding
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Butler appeared in garbage time against So.Miss.
He made a couple of threes, but he's only an
"In case of emergency, break glass" type player.