Game #8: @ Providence College - GameDay!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Game #8: @ Providence College 7pm Wednesday

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I don't see it on my listings for FS2 either

WTF !

first they screw francesa and now rhody ?!!?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Does fox sports 2 even exist??
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Ugh... Just checked fox sports website and they have UFC listed

Brutal
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ECR and others, its coming up on SNY-HD (Time Warner Channel 48) on Wednesday at 7pm. Better for anyone in NYC, FS2 is not HD in most cases.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

PeterRamTime wrote:It's saying it's going to show the Ultimate fighter at 7 on Wednesday....
Yes. But the Brown game tonight is on. Good job by Fox of choosing games to televise.(?)
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

thanks bigappleram !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote:ECR and others, its coming up on SNY-HD (Time Warner Channel 48) on Wednesday at 7pm. Better for anyone in NYC, FS2 is not HD in most cases.
Oh good, I get that to on Uverse. Crisis averted!
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Looks like Comcast subscribers in CT are out of luck for the game. My SNY is not showing URI/PC for Wed at 7:00
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Per the Friars Board, the game will not be on FS2 as ogirinally scheduled. They have listed the following outlets which will cover it:

COX Ocean State Network (RI)
FOX Sports Arizona
FOX Sports Detroit
FOX Sports Florida/Sun Sports+
FOX Sports Ohio
FOX Sports Wisconsin
MASN2
MSG Plus
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I got it on one of those Fox regionals. Nice.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

This is what I am talking about, guys calling for a 8-3 record is just soft.

If we want to dance we have to win games, especially against avg teams like PC. Huge game for both clubs.

Lean on the Seniors, start TJ. Win the Game!!!!!!!!!

http://www.a10talk.com/rhode-island-to- ... rovidence/
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ChiPhiRhody03 »

for those in NYC area, it's on MSG+ channel 580 (in HD). Channel 80 for non-HD.
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Anyone have an extra single ticket? Thinking about shooting down from Boston but I think I will be solo so I figured I would see if anyone on here had one before buying a single myself.
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

in a pinch; friartvblogspot will have a stream most nights
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I've heard someone on here call this game a must win, now that a10talk site says this is our biggest game in years? First, it's not possible for a college basketball team to have a must win game in the beginning of December. Second, the Nebraska game was much more important for building the program. At home, against a ranked Big 10 team who went to the tournament the year before and is returning one of the two best players in the Big 10 was far more important for our program and building the brand than Wednesday's game. I really want to win and I'll be in a foul mood if we don't, but there's no need to go overboard on the importance of the game. It's our second biggest game of the year until we hit the conference tournament against our biggest rival. Those stakes are already high enough, no need to inflate it.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The PC game is the biggest game of the year every year, at least to me.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Will this be on in the Boston area?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The PC game is no longer the biggest game to me in my opinion and hasn't been for me in years. It's usually just another game to me (I know most probably won't agree with this) and find UMass a much bigger rival. That said, it's bigger this year because Providence is coming off an NCAA bid season and hoping for another one. It will be a good win for either team this year.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

steviep123 wrote:The PC game is no longer the biggest game to me in my opinion and hasn't been for me in years. It's usually just another game to me (I know most probably won't agree with this) and find UMass a much bigger rival. That said, it's bigger this year because Providence is coming off an NCAA bid season and hoping for another one. It will be a good win for either team this year.
I was looking for a good YouTube video of a guy pissing his pants, but I couldn't find one, because I was laughing so hard at this that I pissed my pants.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

People who don't think PC is our biggest rival weren't around when there were brawls on the court, brawls in the stands and brawls outside the Civic Center. I've never felt hatred towards UMass like I do for that despicable institution.
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

skwalk47 wrote:Anyone have an extra single ticket? Thinking about shooting down from Boston but I think I will be solo so I figured I would see if anyone on here had one before buying a single myself.
Maybe - will keep you posted.
Go Rhody!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Its a big game because its a rival obviously, its a big game because they went to the tourney and are hoping for another trip, sure.

None of this accounts for the fact that this offers URI their last chance at a quality OOC victory. Rival or not. The game offers the last shot to bolster the resume, point blank. It counts as an away game for RPI, BUT the kicker as everyone knows is URI will have its largest road game support of the year.

To not get the "must win" narrative is foolish. Obviously no game is must win, its not like we recruit against any single school and a win would help us(Like say Bama/Auburn in football). There is always another game, but if you follow any team that makes the tournament, every game is a must win, especially those that offer the potential to bolster their resume come March.

Think like an At-large team, not a bottom feeder.
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Andrew wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:Anyone have an extra single ticket? Thinking about shooting down from Boston but I think I will be solo so I figured I would see if anyone on here had one before buying a single myself.
Maybe - will keep you posted.
Sounds good, thanks.
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:To not get the "must win" narrative is foolish. Obviously no game is must win, its not like we recruit against any single school and a win would help us(Like say Bama/Auburn in football). There is always another game, but if you follow any team that makes the tournament, every game is a must win, especially those that offer the potential to bolster their resume come March.
I must be foolish, or more likely the narrative is, because I don't get this. Is no game must win or is every game must win? You say both, and yet obviously both can't be true. If you say a game is "must win", that has a meaning, whether you like it or not, whether it fits your narrative or not. If PC is a must win game, what happens if we lose? Are the rest of our games this season cancelled? Are we no longer eligible for the tournament? Maybe people shouldn't just reflexively call every game must win no matter the circumstances and take each game for what it really is. Maybe that would cool off some of the unnecessary mood swings in this forumn. In this case the game is a tough test, against a key opponent, who also happens to be our biggest rival. But hardly must win.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I see merits from both sides, but it is a "must win" in terms of 2 things:

1) rebuilding. We got over a huge hump by finally beating a ranked team. It's been 4 years since we've beaten PC. This would be a huge signal to the rest of our state and our fan base that the rebuild is complete and now we're back.

2) If we are to have legitimate aspirations of an NCAA appearance, realities like the scarcity of big games to win take hold. The A10 is weak this year. Phenominally weak by the looks of it early on. VCU should get it together (if for no other reason than blind faith in Shaka Smart), but really...how many top 50 teams remain on our schedule? The achillies heel of the Baron error wasn't so much the bad losses down the stretch (though they were killers) as it was the absence of good wins.

Allowing for some optimism 4 months from now...if we are sitting there with 22 wins, and our strongest victory is a Nebraska team that may not even stay in the top 75, you can kiss any hopes of a post season good bye unless we won in Brooklyn.

Of course we're going to lose games, but the games we need to win are the top 50 road games. Those are the ones that set bubble teams up to get in.

Honestly - we'll have potentially one other top 50 road game (Dayton) and maybe, MAYBE 2 more at home (VCU and GW) - but with the way the A10 is shaping up this year, Wednesday's game puts us on either side of the bubble.

Certainly doesn't put us in, and there's a long season, but I just don't see us becoming an at large without a W at the dunk.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Bressler, maybe you should have taken a selfie while you were doing the dirty deed.

Would be for some good laughs. You're basically the only one who posts pictures or videos on here, since Gandy left.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yep gotta beat PC for better chance at an at-large. I think they and Nebraska will be bubble teams this year. Luckily teams like UMass-Lowell and Detroit look like they will fair well in their conferences. And that will fair quite well for our RPI in the end. A 9-2 nonconference and 12-6 conference record would get us in I think, or rather close.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I've heard someone on here call this game a must win, now that a10talk site says this is our biggest game in years? First, it's not possible for a college basketball team to have a must win game in the beginning of December. Second, the Nebraska game was much more important for building the program. At home, against a ranked Big 10 team who went to the tournament the year before and is returning one of the two best players in the Big 10 was far more important for our program and building the brand than Wednesday's game. I really want to win and I'll be in a foul mood if we don't, but there's no need to go overboard on the importance of the game. It's our second biggest game of the year until we hit the conference tournament against our biggest rival. Those stakes are already high enough, no need to inflate it.
I basically agree with your take on "must-win" because to me, a must win game means if you lose you might as well pack your shit up and go home because all remaining games (if any) become utterly meaningless. So this clearly doesn't fit that definition.

However, that is a semantic argument. The stakes for this game are HUGE for URI. I stated in my post at the bottom of last page the reasons why I thought this game was as big or bigger than Nebraska, so I won't repeat myself here. But suffice it to say, I'd strongly consider giving that game back to get this one. To get both would put us on a course to smash my best-case expectations for this season. The PC game always has added meaning beyond the strict mathematical impact on the season. It is a battle for perception and significance in our own neighborhood.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

To explain myself, I think there is a difference between "must win" and "do or die."

I think you guys denouncing the "must win" talk are believing it is being used in a "do or die" deal.

To be a legit bubble team we have to win this game or if not, we have to win an incredible amount after it.

Do or die would be like last year in the A10 tourney or the last 14 years. Win and continue or "die."
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

EC needs to make this his coming out party. Dunn is turning into what was predicted when he signed. And Henton and Martin are both very good.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I agree with your assessment, Seawrightspostgame. A win over PC on the road would be huge for Tournament aspirations. A loss will make it difficult to get in as an at large team without going at least 13-5 in the A 10 and winning two games in the A 10 tourney. otherwise, they would have to at least go 12-6 and get into the final game of the A 10 Tourney probably, to get an at large bid. So a win at PC at this point is crucial.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Everybody is talking as if we are a lock for at least a 12-6 A10 record....

I wish we were.....it hasn't happened yet.

If we win our next 4 to get to our league schedule, then I think we've got a great chance. Otherwise, it might be a little early to assume things....

You know, the old one game at a time deal.

Let's show some consistency first, starting with Wednesday night....
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

No such thing as a must win, however you describe it, before Christmas in college hoops. So many things will happen between now and March. In fact, the games like Southern Miss, Detroit, and Brown are more must win in the OOC if we are talking tournament (NCAA or NIT) aspirations.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This thread is wayyyy too docile.

Fuck pc and their "huge" 2,000 student enrollment. For the whole school mind you. Our student section at the Nebraska game was bigger than their whole school. Time to beat these chumps.

Go RAMS!!!!!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Big apple.. U sure about sny coverage ?

I'm seeing Fordham game here in ct

Errrrr

Effin fs2 killing me
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:This thread is wayyyy too docile.

Fuck pc and their "huge" 2,000 student enrollment. For the whole school mind you. Our student section at the Nebraska game was bigger than their whole school. Time to beat these chumps.

Go RAMS!!!!!
My thoughts exactly.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The only tv here is replay-

12/11 12:00 AM and 9:30 PM on FCS Pacific
12/11 11:00 AM on FCS Atlantic
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Billyboy78 wrote:

Go RAMS!!!!!
My thoughts exactly.
4 straight bitches; try to keep it under 15 points at the Dunk. Your seniors havent yet
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Only TJ has played in this game 3 times. The rest twice or less.

This game will be close. Team that wins makes the plays late.

URI has to prove it can win the close ones against good teams. Nebraska was a start.

That's where maturity comes in. Both teams have issues there right now.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I think we're at that stage, where nobody knows
which URI team will show up.
The intense, good defensive, ball sharing team?
Maybe the terrible shooting, turnover prone, fouls prone
bunch?
A mix of the two?
Even Dan doesn't know. This team will have ups and downs until
they finally gel and get an identity. It's called maturity.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

seanmc94 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Go RAMS!!!!!
My thoughts exactly.
4 straight bitches; try to keep it under 15 points at the Dunk. Your seniors havent yet
Are you referring to the one game that anyone on this team has played at the dinky?

Sounds like u might be willing to give 14? I take Pay Pal!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, listening to Dan tonight from home, it definitely sounded like he's expecting more rough patches for a while longer.

Wednesday's game will be a huge test for the new guys. For us to win, they have to play well.

That's expecting a lot, but it's possible.

I liked Dan's comments about the A10. It was a much tougher league than he thought when he took the job. This year, it's more like he expected coming in.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think we should worry more about Brown than pc. These announcers suck by the way. Brown is in your face defence all game and not one mention of their D. We play pretty good D by the way. Go Brown!!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Providence has the worst court. The baseline/sideline looks like they primed it then forgot to paint it. Whoever designed that should be fired.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This really is gonna hurt our RPI playing pc. This loss to Brown is gonna make the game somewhat pedestrian.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Brown dun beat them friahs!
Wouldya look at that?
Might be a pretty demoralized bunch on Wednesday.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:This really is gonna hurt our RPI playing pc. This loss to Brown is gonna make the game somewhat pedestrian.
It definitely won't be pedestrian - it is PC/URI!

And as far as RPI, it is basically a wash. We play Brown, too.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TP
You need a lesson in sarcasm.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT! FRIARS GETS MAULED BY BEARS IN DOUBLE DIGIT LOSS!
On tap for Wednesday...Friars getting reamed by Rams! :shock: :o :lol: 8-)
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Say it's not so Friar Frank! What excuss is ch. 10 and the blojo gonna have?
Run them out the gym Rhody!