No Projo coverage in Orlando today?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Re: No Projo coverage in Orlando today?

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Gavitt moved a few steps ahead of most people. To bad Mo Zarchen didn't dream up the Big East. Gavittt had no reason to include URI ... a rival with a small fan base ... in a super conference. If URI succeeded, it would be at PC's expense. Macy's doesn't invite Gimbel's. Or maybe it's more like Ann & Hope doesn't invite Apex.
You can hate Gavitt, but URI could maybe have thrived in the A-10 like Temple.
But Zarchen resigned under fire, Kraft became sick and retired. They hired Claude and cut basketball spending and then hired Brendan Malone, who brough zero energy in. Tom Penders fell into their lap. Skinner was lowkey but reliable ... and Petro chased him away. And we know all about Harrick's success and the mess that followed.
Point is, many of URI's wounds have been self-inflicted, not because of vast media conspiracies.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramblinrose wrote:Gavitt moved a few steps ahead of most people. To bad Mo Zarchen didn't dream up the Big East. Gavittt had no reason to include URI ... a rival with a small fan base ... in a super conference. If URI succeeded, it would be at PC's expense. Macy's doesn't invite Gimbel's. Or maybe it's more like Ann & Hope doesn't invite Apex.
You can hate Gavitt, but URI could maybe have thrived in the A-10 like Temple.
But Zarchen resigned under fire, Kraft became sick and retired. They hired Claude and cut basketball spending and then hired Brendan Malone, who brough zero energy in. Tom Penders fell into their lap. Skinner was lowkey but reliable ... and Petro chased him away. And we know all about Harrick's success and the mess that followed.
Point is, many of URI's wounds have been self-inflicted, not because of vast media conspiracies.
same reason Gavitt didn't pick URI he also excluded UMASS and Holy Cross when the BE added Boston College. Wanted the media markets covered and it worked well.

Football did in the Big East to what is a similar level conference to the A10 now
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Not true on Holy Cross. They turned down the Big East. And HC started to scale down sports overall. Had some strong hoop teams in the '70s. Ronnie Perry and Chris Potter. Lots of people questioned the UCONN invite. But Dee Rowe and Gavitt were tight. UCONN was so-so until Calhoun arrived.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramblinrose wrote:Not true on Holy Cross. They turned down the Big East. And HC started to scale down sports overall. Had some strong hoop teams in the '70s. Ronnie Perry and Chris Potter. Lots of people questioned the UCONN invite. But Dee Rowe and Gavitt were tight. UCONN was so-so until Calhoun arrived.
I did not realize that HC, BC, URI and UCONN decided to remain a "block"

http://sportslifer.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... -of-hoops/
HC and the Big East
When the Big East was founded in 1979, Holy Cross could have been a charter member. Providence, St. John’s, Georgetown, Syracuse and Seton Hall, all teams that HC once played on a regular basis, agreed to start the Big East, but the league needed more New England representation

However, athletic directors at Holy Cross, Boston College, Rhode Island and Connecticut agreed all four schools would remain a block. Take `em all or get none. If they couldn’t be separated, and the conference wanted the Boston market, which, of course, it needed, there would be a big league.

“Connecticut had been very good in the Yankee Conference. Boston College and Holy Cross was a toss up; actually, Holy Cross had the better basketball tradition. But their president couldn’t be convinced,” said the first Big East commissioner, Dave Gavitt, about the league’s founding. “He felt academics would be compromised.”

Former St. John’s coach Lou Carnesecca spoke to me, Lou with the SportsLifer right, about these inside Big East formative dealings during a talk at the 2007 East Regionals at the Meadowlands. He told me that Holy Cross was supposed to join the Big East, but the school’s president, the Rev. John E. Brooks, S.J., vetoed the move for academic reasons.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

A block that crumbled. I think Holy Crosd got the program its leaders wanted. They had some decent 1aa football teams, too. Where have you gone, Gordie Luckbaum?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:
adam914 wrote:Well they showed Bill Murray on TV about 150 times :-) Spot on with your points there ramster!

oops,
I didn't even think about the games being on tv
Haha, I just thought it was funny how much the broadcast was focusing on him. I get it though, it's awesome that he was there.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Well, like a game of telephone, the point of this thread has been lost.... so let me restate.

Bill Koch promised great things to come... It hasn't happened.

Point is, don't make promises you can't keep. Whether or not the coverage of URI basketball is deserved or not is another story. Many good points have been made on that point. We don't deserve the coverage that PC gets. I can buy that... We gotta win.

Then, if that is the case, don't say you're building something special covering URI basketball, and ask us to hop on board, if you can't back it up.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

It was a tournament that the flight and hotel were bought for KMac long before Koch was hired, let's not act like Koch has been there for years and they left him home so that no one would cover uri. The fact that this thread has lasted this long is frustrating to me, it's a non issue
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RoadyJay wrote:Well, like a game of telephone, the point of this thread has been lost.... so let me restate.

Bill Koch promised great things to come... It hasn't happened.

Point is, don't make promises you can't keep. Whether or not the coverage of URI basketball is deserved or not is another story. Many good points have been made on that point. We don't deserve the coverage that PC gets. I can buy that... We gotta win.

Then, if that is the case, don't say you're building something special covering URI basketball, and ask us to hop on board, if you can't back it up.
I think there's been plenty more of a presence this year than the last two years, given that they were usually asking McNamara to cover both teams more regularly, plus they now have a podcast that's pretty equally split between the two teams. And as others have said, at this point, I think the ball is more in URI's court. They have to win if they want to guarantee things like road coverage beyond a day-trip driving area.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:So if your precious subscription is so valuable why don't you cancel it and start reading the Independent that covers URI basketball much more? Then you'll show the big bad Projo that you mean business and they'll have to find a way to move on without your $300 a year. Or is it because then you'd have nothing to bitch about?

I don't live in South County. That paper is not even available in print in my area. I also don't want to read other news about a region I don't reside in.

As for you telling me what I should do, I could care less what you think. I am entitled to my own opinion. If you don't like it, too bad.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

That paper is online. I used to log on to read Koch. This is a referendum on Bill Koch after a month on the job?
What a damn whiny fan base this can be. anyone who fails to understand that PC vs. UK is a huge game v. URI and GT is intellectually dishonest or pulling our legs.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Since ppl keep bringing up PC v UK. I have to say that the only thing I admire about the PCees is that Cooley plays every game to just flat out win it. I admittedly don't watch them really ever but, the times I have seen them he keeps them on a short leash of playing every play with a purpose to win.

Be that post play, favoring a single player, or a match up. Also not forcing freshmen into the lineup and playing the guys that give the team the best chance to play that day.

I don't really care how we win, but I think we can win the rest of our OOC games if they sell out and try to. If the team is reduced to just...

To restate it or say it differently, last year ST Joes played what 6-7 guys? And two of them probably controlled the ball 70% of the game. If that is what it takes, then do it. I still think they(refs) gave Napier a few And1s down the stretch of that game and basically gave UCONN that game.

We don't have to be a circus act to win games. Just win them.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The only thing I can think of, as to why Dan is playing this revolving door of substitutions, is that no one is standing out enough yet, to get the majority of minutes.

We know Minnis isn't getting it done, and won't either. TJ works his ass off, but he's limited, he can only do so much.

EC is handling the ball too much, because Terrell and Jarvis just aren't ready to take over at this level, especially Jarvis.

Does this team really have the overall level of talent, that everyone [including Dan] thinks we do?

At the top of the roster, we do. After the first 5-6 players, the ability level drops off more than what we need, to be a serious tourney team.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

seanmc94 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Are you kidding? The 90's without a doubt. '93 on > 4 times in 6 years, 3 in a row, 1 elite 8. 2 NBA stars. PC went twice. 94 and 97. Stop butting in and spewing dumb stuff when I'm making a larger rational point. Now you're being a PC homer with no perspective. Looks just as bad.

The other flip side to this - is that if we beat Kansas, and Tennessee - and were playing Michigan St in the Championship game, I guarantee they send coverage to both games. If they didn't then I could see a gripe. But really, this whole thread going at the projo is pointless, and coming at Bill Koch is just stupid.
The 90's? You mean the era when PC had the 2nd most nba players behind Carolina?
You mean when PC won the Big East tourney, went to the dance 5 times and went to the elite 8? Tally up the w/l record in the 90s. you won't like what you see.
Sean, where do you get your facts?

First off, I get that I went to a "safety school," but we did math there. In the 1990's, PC went 3 times: 1990, 1994, 1997. The late 80s were irrelevant to the late 90s, just like the late 90s are irrelevant now. Even 1990 is irrelevant to the late 90s, considering it's a decade before.

You are honestly going to sit there and tell me that going once every 3 years made PC more relevant than a URI team that went 4 times in 6 years, 3 in a row, and produced two legitimate NBA stars - one a lottery pick?

As for PC's NBA players...you had 6 in the 90s. 6. Mainly bench scrubs. God Shamgod played what, a dozen games? Murdock was the only one who made any type of an impact. And you're going to say that 6 bench scrubs means more than 1 solid NBA starter and 1 NBA star?

Yes, PC was the bees knees back when AIDS wasn't a thing. But once cell phones and the internet came to be URI was a much more relevant program.

Certainly not the case today, as the more rational people have been saying, but it's a questionable course of revisionist history they teach at Providence College if you're going to sit here and try and argue basketball relevance in favor of PC in the late 90s.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:
adam914 wrote:So if your precious subscription is so valuable why don't you cancel it and start reading the Independent that covers URI basketball much more? Then you'll show the big bad Projo that you mean business and they'll have to find a way to move on without your $300 a year. Or is it because then you'd have nothing to bitch about?

I don't live in South County. That paper is not even available in print in my area. I also don't want to read other news about a region I don't reside in.

As for you telling me what I should do, I could care less what you think. I am entitled to my own opinion. If you don't like it, too bad.
Oh don't get me wrong, I completely agree you are totally entitled to being wrong. I'm also entitled to point that out. If you don't like it, too bad.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely agree you are totally entitled to being wrong. I'm also entitled to point that out. If you don't like it, too bad.

This board is becoming a real cess pool due to some of its participants.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Adam is one of our best posters. You are also a good contributor, but it seems like lately you are using the board mostly as an outlet for complaints and criticisms....about attendance, media coverage, the football program, etc. That is your right, but if people push back on it then you have to be able to handle it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We need another game very soon.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yeah we need Santa Clara, or a 6'2 lebron james to un-commit from Oklahoma State and commit to us. Then this board can rejoice.

I think JT is a mini Lebron, is it a legit comparison? no. But to me when he did that one Euro step last game, forearmed two guys and got fouled(or actually they didn't call it). That was lebron to me.

I expect to win saturday, get this ship back on course. If we don't, then we will have to call the Coast guard or something.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:Adam is one of our best posters. You are also a good contributor, but it seems like lately you are using the board mostly as an outlet for complaints and criticisms....about attendance, media coverage, the football program, etc. That is your right, but if people push back on it then you have to be able to handle it.
The majority of the posts on this board (by everyone) are complaints and criticisms.

I did not start this thread. I merely expressed my agreement and personal disappointment in a product that I regularly purchase. I feel that I as a subscriber to the Projo, I have that right. It was others that attacked my point of view in a personal nature.

My issue is not that others have a different perspective. I accept that. I however do not appreciate others telling me what I should do with my money and I how I should judge a product I purchase. Adding to this is the fact that many of these posters do not actually purchase the paper as I do. They however have no problem telling me that my expectations are wrong.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I find it interesting that people are using Kevin McNamara leaving a game early a sign of disrespect to the program. I think the fact that they even had someone there at all shows that they're improving their coverage. In the past they would have just used stringers or wire articles for the whole thing.

And RF1, you have the right to criticize. That said, if you're that upset with the ProJo perhaps you'd find you'd get more results if you complain directly to them as opposed to complaining on an unrelated message board. And also, telling people your opinion over and over but saying multiple times that other people's opinions are irrelevant to you isn't going to foster a lot of sympathy for you. If you're looking for an audience with no feedback this isn't the right forum for you. Disagreeing is one thing, but why should we care what your opinion is when you've so clearly stated that you don't care what ours is?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I find it interesting that people are using Kevin McNamara leaving a game early a sign of disrespect to the program. I think the fact that they even had someone there at all shows that they're improving their coverage. In the past they would have just used stringers or wire articles for the whole thing.

And RF1, you have the right to criticize. That said, if you're that upset with the ProJo perhaps you'd find you'd get more results if you complain directly to them as opposed to complaining on an unrelated message board. And also, telling people your opinion over and over but saying multiple times that other people's opinions are irrelevant to you isn't going to foster a lot of sympathy for you. If you're looking for an audience with no feedback this isn't the right forum for you. Disagreeing is one thing, but why should we care what your opinion is when you've so clearly stated that you don't care what ours is?
I don't have an issue when someone has a different opinion and expresses it here. There are always differences of opinion and that is healthy. My problem is when they tell me what actions I should take. It is their opinion on how I should personally act or feel that is what I consider irrelevant and something I don't care for.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
I think JT is a mini Lebron, is it a legit comparison? no. But to me when he did that one Euro step last game, forearmed two guys and got fouled(or actually they didn't call it). That was lebron to me.

I've actually made the same comparison with the way he is able to get to the bucket through contact....I actually think he is a better NBA prospect compared to EC
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! You guys are on the same page with me.
I honestly think that Terrell's mental toughness,
plus his physical toughness and skills make him a better all around player than
EC.
Not taking anything away from EC at all, but Terrell has so much energy on both ends of the floor,
and nothing bothers him!
We're very lucky to have Terrell, EC and Martin, who could all be in the NBA one day.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I said 90s; not late 90s. You quoted me so i assumed you read it.
Lets break down the numbers:
Overall record: PC 172-139 URI 160-145 adv: PC better record vs superior competition
Postseason: PC 3 ncaa 5 nit URI 4 ncaa 2 nit adv: URI its all about the dance
Head to head: PC 7-3

When you factor in the caliber of opponents that PC was playing in the Big East; from a business standpoint; its easy to see why the ProJo focused on PC in the 90s. Established product without a clearly Superior option.

For the record: eric williams and austin croshere signed pretty healthy contracts in the nba. No cat and lamar; but far from stiffs.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Other than 1097, did they win a single game in the NCAAs?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'll jump on the Terrell bandwagon here, too. The first time you see him he just looks like an NBA player. Crazy basketball body for a college freshman. I also think his shot looks a lot better than I expected, despite the lackluster results so far. Add in the intangible "presence" or "it factor" or kahonies or whatever you want to call it and he is the total package for me. May be the shortest time that a player has ever become my main guy.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Wow, Rod. You really do go way back.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

JTs shot isnt bad. His selection needs work. Kid has that "it" factor.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Typing in the dark, Rosie. 0 is next to 9.
I think the answer is zero, by the way.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

rodfromcranston wrote:Other than 1097, did they win a single game in the NCAAs?

That 1097 team had stones... literally
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Rod. URI had a better run in the 1990s with Skinner and Harrick. Then we went on sabbatical.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I would like to see one of those talks they do at a restaurant on cox hub. They come together discuss the record, the team, not just the newcomers but all of the guys. Critique somethings and forecast the coming weeks.

I would prefer bold talk too, like PC is the only team that should have a chance at beating us in December.

Lastly, it wouldn't hurt to have some footage of the team practicing this week and then have TJ/Gil together talking about how tough this week has been(in practice) and learning to execute more. Maybe a bite from Watson or JT saying that they are adjusting and loving it here.

This ^^^^^^^^ I would really like to see this and it would make some goodwill.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Kentucky/Kansas?
Top of my head

Antoine walker
Jamal mashburn
Tony delk
Walter McCarty
Rom mercer
Derek Anderson
Jamal magloire
Scott Padgett
Nazr Muhammad

I ended up checking a list, they have a few others I didn't recognize but prob 4 more.

I find that a dubious claim that PC put more guys in the nba than anybody not named North Carolina.
UConn also had 9- Ray Allen, Burrell, Tate George, both Marshalls,Rip Hamilton,Ollie, Chris Smith, Travis Knight.

maybe PC had more than 9 but that fact didn't sound right to me either