URI-PC Single Game Tickets NOW ON SALE!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Re: URI-PC Single Game Tickets NOW ON SALE!

Unread post by RAM67 »

I did watch channel 10 news, and there was a mention and a clip of our game against Santa Clara.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ha! My daughter bought me a ticket for my birthday!
Nice seats, too.
Very excited!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great news Rod!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Happy birthday, Rod. Glad to hear it sounds like your daughter is doing well, too.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

For those not attending in person:
The game at PC is televised on FS2. This is their lower level version of FS1. Many cable providers do not carry this station on their generally available subscriber line-ups.
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

RF1 wrote:For those not attending in person:
The game at PC is televised on FS2. This is their lower level version of FS1. Many cable providers do not carry this station on their generally available subscriber line-ups.
Will it be on cox / myritv?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

No it's on Fox Sports 2. Not available in HD on Cox. Does FiOS have it in HD yet?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It is on UVerse HD if anybody has that.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Belated thanks to TP and ATP. I just read this thread for the first time
since Saturday.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Just saw on the PC board that Cox has permission to cover the game on the OSN channel
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I guess PC doesn't have enough pull with Fox to get this game on a channel available to most people around the country.
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

So 111 is the place to be eh? I see some tickets available in the middle of that section. Trying to figure out who else I will be going with before buying. I dont know if the wife will be able to make it as she usually works pretty late--she's a corporate lawyer who is doing quite well at her big Boston firm. We met at UR, she is URI class of '08, BU Law class of '11 magna cum laude. Which gets me to the point, I can't stand when PC fans try to attack URI as an academic institution.

I came to URI from out of state for specific programs that it excels at. I am now doing quite well with both a BS and MS from URI. URI has some programs that are world-class. Providence does not. What PC does have is a bunch of rich Catholic kids who's parents could afford to send them to private college but couldnt get into a top school.

I gotta say I am a Yankees and Jets fan living in Boston (I grew up in NY) and my hatred for PC greatly exceeds my dislike of the Red Sox and Pats. I think it's because they try to make it personal and to me it symbolizes more than just a sports rivalry but public education vs privileged youth.

Eff PC!
Go RAMS
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

skwalk47 wrote:So 111 is the place to be eh? I see some tickets available in the middle of that section. Trying to figure out who else I will be going with before buying. I dont know if the wife will be able to make it as she usually works pretty late--she's a corporate lawyer who is doing quite well at her big Boston firm. We met at UR, she is URI class of '08, BU Law class of '11 magna cum laude. Which gets me to the point, I can't stand when PC fans try to attack URI as an academic institution.

I came to URI from out of state for specific programs that it excels at. I am now doing quite well with both a BS and MS from URI. URI has some programs that are world-class. Providence does not. What PC does have is a bunch of rich Catholic kids who's parents could afford to send them to private college but couldnt get into a top school.
This guy gets it! I'm also a URI/BU Law person, and quite happy with my education. The idea that they chant "safety school" at us is much more embarrassing for them than it is for us. URI is a better school than PC - better programs for less money. Most URI students never entertained the idea of going to PC. I wouldn't have gone to PC for free because its size and religious affiliation are non-starters for me, but if their students want that experience good for them. But don't pretend like you chose to get it at PC instead of BC, Holy Cross or Notre Dame. You go to a safety school, dopes!

Anyways, I'm in 126 and should have a good contingent with me there.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Providence's games against Albany and Yale were on FS1, it's bull that this rivalry gets second tier to whatever's on fs1.
Just looked it up and it's Kansas @ Georgetown. So that's understandable, but it's still annoying.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

TruePoint wrote:
skwalk47 wrote:So 111 is the place to be eh? I see some tickets available in the middle of that section. Trying to figure out who else I will be going with before buying. I dont know if the wife will be able to make it as she usually works pretty late--she's a corporate lawyer who is doing quite well at her big Boston firm. We met at UR, she is URI class of '08, BU Law class of '11 magna cum laude. Which gets me to the point, I can't stand when PC fans try to attack URI as an academic institution.

This guy gets it! I'm also a URI/BU Law person, and quite happy with my education. The idea that they chant "safety school" at us is much more embarrassing for them than it is for us. URI is a better school than PC - better programs for less money. Most URI students never entertained the idea of going to PC. I wouldn't have gone to PC for free because its size and religious affiliation are non-starters for me, but if their students want that experience good for them. But don't pretend like you chose to get it at PC instead of BC, Holy Cross or Notre Dame. You go to a safety school, dopes!

Anyways, I'm in 126 and should have a good contingent with me there.
The size and religious affiliation of PC limits the amount of student resources available.

Calling URI a safety school is a joke in itself with the world class programs offered by the university, and look at how campus is now compared to ten years ago. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard URI called "safety school" by people whose kids go to some no-name (D3, if they even offer sports) liberal arts school in NH or MA.

You can also add in Villanova and Georgetown to that list of schools, lol.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

The idea that uri is a superior academic to Gtown is laughable.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think she was saying people that go to PC would have gone to Georgetown if they had the chance. It really is hard to compare state schools to catholic schools because they're different in every imaginable way. I have no problem admitting that some PC students probably were accepted at URI and chose PC. I can also admit that if I had had the opportunity to go to UVA or Michigan I probably would have, but I wouldn't have considered going to PC unless I couldn't find a big school in the country that would have me. That is all a matter of preference, but there are many reasons students would choose URI over PC. So for PC students to mock URI and the people that chose to go there makes them look ignorant - both because PC is not at the top of the food chain for like schools and is likely a "safety school" for 90%-plus of its own student body and because URI students have numerous academic options open to them that PC students do not and are paying a fraction of the cost for it.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:I think she was saying people that go to PC would have gone to Georgetown if they had the chance. It really is hard to compare state schools to catholic schools because they're different in every imaginable way. I have no problem admitting that some PC students probably were accepted at URI and chose PC. I can also admit that if I had had the opportunity to go to UVA or Michigan I probably would have, but I wouldn't have considered going to PC unless I couldn't find a big school in the country that would have me. That is all a matter of preference, but there are many reasons students would choose URI over PC. So for PC students to mock URI and the people that chose to go there makes them look ignorant - both because PC is not at the top of the food chain for like schools and is likely a "safety school" for 90%-plus of its own student body and because URI students have numerous academic options open to them that PC students do not and are paying a fraction of the cost for it.
Exactly what I was trying to say. There are some (some, being they keyword here)PC students , alums, and fans that just don't get it when it comes to "state school". They think PC is Stanford quality. I went to a Catholic high school so the last thing I wanted in college was to be told what to do by clergy. Lol
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As I have said on this board many times in the past and was reinforced in a recent visit to Providence two weeks ago to attend a special cultural reception, PC is considered the school in RI that contributes the least to the community. I have been told this on many occasions both directly and indirectly by community leaders in business, the arts, government, civic and social service organizations.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Based on your postings here; im not suprised that the circles you travel in are anti PC. As usual; you throw out innuendo and nebulous opinions as if they were facts.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Come on. Are we really going down this road again?
Both schools have their strengths, but are apples and oranges.
Can we leave the "my dad can beat up your dad" ad nauseum
arguments, and go back to basketball?
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

OK back to basketball... let's play guessing the lines. I say PC -5.5
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

PC by 10, at least, unless we can disrupt Dunn like KY did.
Assuming sprained ankles don't heal very quickly.
You could put Revis err, I mean Terrell on him and use TJ to cover Henton.
Don't know we have a defender to match Henton in size.
KY size killed him, but we don't have size. Martin could do it, but
he'd have two fouls in the first minutes.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody Guy gave me a 1980's male cheerleader URI bullhorn. 111 is going to love me next Wednesday.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, relative from a different family, but will they let
you in with it??
I'm assuming it's white with URI on it.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I like Rhody if we can hit a couple shots early and get into some rhythm. I think the atmosphere will benefit our guys and they'll respond positively to the energy. Maybe Henton is better than I give him credit for, but he doesn't worry me as a lead guy. Let him get his and don't let anyone else have a career night and we should win the game.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Guess you didn't see Henton drop 38 on ND?
Sure, Kentucky stopped him, but we're not Kentucky.
I like Tyler Harris. He's quick and has great range for a 6'9" guy.
This game usually has someone unexpected have a career game,
on one side or the another.
PC is bigger than any team we've faced, including Kansas.
Many things have to go our way to have a win.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I say Terrell has the unexpected career game, unexpected because it would not be expected at this young stage of his college career.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah don't let him get 38 or we will obviously be in trouble. If he gets 25 and we keep Harris in relative check, I don't know that they have enough other weapons to get to 70 points against us. Notre Dame was also handled by UMass and I know some ND fans who are very, very down on their basketball program (and their football program but that's another story). Providence has only played one team of any quality on the defensive end - granted that team is much better than us - and they couldn't score at all. We will be the second best defensive team they've played this year. If we can either get a decent perimeter shooting night or if we can get out in transition then I like our chances very much.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm waiting for Terrell to have a breakout game, anyway.
If he can finish better at the rim, he could easily have one.
He makes spectacular moves to get there, and misses the chippy.
I honestly think he's more talented than EC, on both sides of the ball.

Big IF, TP. We just can't shoot it very well, and I haven't seen much
transition basketball so far.
Man, ND just disintegrated after the FSU loss. USC with 35 points in the
first half? Ugh! Golsten has been terrible.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Blue Man, my options were either give it to you so you can wreak havoc at every game or donate it to Athletics so they could put it on display somewhere (if they even do that sort of thing). I figured the program would benefit more from your harassment of the other team more. The legit URI hardwood pong table I made will have to make it onto my wall at some point though. Can't get rid of that thing.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I used to like the built in cases in the Keaney lobby.
My guess is, that's all still there.
It should be moved to The Ryan Center.
Some interesting items in those cases.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Contain Dunn and you contain PC. Let him dictate tempo and get in the lane all night and we are in trouble. I actually prefer putting a smaller peskier defender on Dunn, i.e. Jarvis Garrett. He is too quick for Terrell or TJ. He has a loose dribble and not the most disciplined on offensive end, a smaller guy that can stick in his shorts can be a menace for him. You almost want to speed him up and have guys in the lane ready to take charges. He has not shown to be a great finisher yet, and his perimeter shot is inconsistent at best. All that said, he can also dominate a game and if he does we are doomed.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I think that assesment is spot on.
I think URIs best option is to speed the game up; however that plays to Dunns strength as well. I dont think URI can win a rock fight bc of PCs size advantage. Glad i dont have to make those decisions
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Blue Man wrote:Rhody Guy gave me a 1980's male cheerleader URI bullhorn. 111 is going to love me next Wednesday.
I can't wait!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Blue Man wrote:Rhody Guy gave me a 1980's male cheerleader URI bullhorn. 111 is going to love me next Wednesday.
Ut Oh! There goes the neighborhood!
I guess I'm going to have to break out the body armor. There's no way this is going to end well. haha. :P
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Hopefully Sean doesn't alert the fuzz to be on the lookout
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, I've thought the same thing.

Terrell will have a breakout game soon, when his shots start falling.

He already is a better defender than EC.

Offensively, it might only be a matter of time. His handle is good, and will only get better.

Remember, it took EC until midseason until he started making an impact. Of course, he didn't play a lot at the beginning of the season.

Terrell will get there sooner, and he's getting the minutes.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Incredible.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

TruePoint wrote:The idea that they chant "safety school" at us is much more embarrassing for them than it is for us. URI is a better school than PC - better programs for less money. Most URI students never entertained the idea of going to PC. I wouldn't have gone to PC for free because its size and religious affiliation are non-starters for me, but if their students want that experience good for them.
Correct. And may I add...

SUNDAY SCHOOL! SUNDAY SCHOOL!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

TP,

Nah. You guys are the crybabies who whine about obnoxious fans :D
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

seanmc94 wrote:TP,

Yes. The obnoxiousness level is the equivalent of singing "Sweet Caroline" white boy wasted at a bar during last call.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Puck Frovidence wrote:
TruePoint wrote:The idea that they chant "safety school" at us is much more embarrassing for them than it is for us. URI is a better school than PC - better programs for less money. Most URI students never entertained the idea of going to PC. I wouldn't have gone to PC for free because its size and religious affiliation are non-starters for me, but if their students want that experience good for them.
Correct. And may I add...

SUNDAY SCHOOL! SUNDAY SCHOOL!
Being a safety professional, I always thought they were talking about me.

Rod,
let's see if we can get that clock in the Keaney lobby moved over, too.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:TP,

lol
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The clock in the Keaney lobby!
It never worked! In all those years, they never fixed it
or replaced it.
Became a standing joke with regular fans.

I always thought a safety school was where people learned to
make Trojans.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

A BRESSLER TRIPLE-FEATURE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIkPKFC ... freload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVUrb9 ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

OH -- Now I get it, Rod….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J02WBKK ... freload=10
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

The Dude wrote:
Ut Oh! There goes the neighborhood!
I guess I'm going to have to break out the body armor. There's no way this is going to end well. haha. :P
Park close because there is absolutely zero chance Dunk security lets you in with that.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

What bar are we taking over?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

You guys will love the new satin doll :D