Jarvis

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Jarvis

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

For somebody who had zero points I thought he was great the other night.

I had a similar feeling to the first time I saw EC last year where he only had 7 points or so but every single thing he appeared to do right.

I had absolutely no fear when Jarvis had the ball and he had a few great passes. I am very comfortable with him at the point for the next four years he's going to be a great one.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Re: Jarvis

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

He's playing with confidence and intelligence. 2 things needed by a PG and he's only 3 games into his college career. The only noticeable mistake he made on Saturday was taking the wrong angle on a screen which resulted in a wide open 3.
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Our 3 easiest baskets of the night were because of Jarvis. Unique out-of-the-box talent as a pass-first PG.

It's pretty clear to see Biggie is a good game manager, and Jarvis is a game changer. Within the next 5 games, certainly before conference play, I think we see #1 starting, and #10 playing to spell him for key minutes. That's exactly what you want in a PG duo that we haven't had. Even with quis and mejia - it was almost an equal duty, and both were game managers (quis the better scorer, stevie the better handle), but neither had the raw ability you can clearly see in JG.

It was great to see the coaches taking every possible minute to teach him when he was on the bench. He was also the guy on the floor bringing the ball up with under a minute left in OT. I think they are just being cautious without trying to put too much on a freshman's plate - but you can see they're gradually taking the training wheels off by just putting him on the floor in specific situations.

edit: too late for the JGPG tag on him? I feel like we're all going with JT for Terrell, and the JG was starting to confuse my typing.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Jarvis and Jared were both better than the box score would indicate, and are as advanced at this stage as EC and Hassy were last year, if not more. Fired up to watch what they can grow into. It is a matter of games until Jarvis is with Jared in the starting five.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Those guys are like blessing from the heavens. And to think we almost didn't have them...
We're really seeing why there was 60 some pages on the recruitment of Jared Terrell, we were as clutch with him as he was with those two threes in OT!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

With our core four, we have a lot to look forward to.
If we only had a legit 5 inside, we'd be even better.
I'm wondering about Oneykaba. What's the deal?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think both Jarvis and Jared will eventually be good enough shooters to fix some of our problems in that area. As currently constituted, our upside is somewhat limited by our inability to shoot the ball. You need to have the potential to get insanely hot to win games against teams that are better than you, and you can lose games you should win if you go stone cold and the other team has a good shooting night. But in terms of the future, Terrell's shot looks good to me and I believe eventually they will fall for him more consistently. Also, apparently they think they "stole" Chistion Thompson and that he can really help them as a shooter.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote: I'm wondering about Oneykaba. What's the deal?
If you ask me - matchups. Nebraska didn't really have a "traditional 5" (not that most teams do nowadays), and Onyekaba wasn't quick enough to guard their interior players. It seems as though he might be used in games where we're having trouble with a low-post banger, but if the scenario doesn't dictate it then he's currently at the bottom end of our 4/5 rotation (yes, even below Jarelle).
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So he didn't matchup against UMass-Lowell?
I don't know, but he's only played in the first game and not a minute in the second or third.
Unless he's sick or something, it make you wonder.
I think if it's not that, you're right. He's at the end of
the bench one place ahead of the walk-ons.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I think he's that 4th big man (5th if you count Reischel) on the team (Biruta, Martin, Watson, (Reischel), Onyekaba)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think Iffy doesn't play because he doesn't have any basketball skills. I don't see any.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I wish Dan had sent Iffy in to kick Petteway and/or Shields in the nuts.
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody74 wrote:I wish Dan had sent Iffy in to kick Petteway and/or Shields in the nuts.
Or the refs
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I have been going with Rhode Island's Core 4 - Jarvis, Jared, EC & Hass

But after playing with their initials, and after a mildly famous band we can change it to MGMT (Martin, Garrett, Matthrews, Terrell)
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think Iffy's just not that good. I thought Watson had a great 8 minutes. 4 points, 2 rebounds, a dunk. I'd rather see him get more minutes than having Iffy play.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I agree. I'd like to see more of Watson.
He's like a bulldozer out there. Not tall, but
a space-eater.
Seems to have good fundamentals, and athletic, too.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

twisted3829 wrote:I think he's that 4th big man (5th if you count Reischel) on the team (Biruta, Martin, Watson, (Reischel), Onyekaba)
I'd agree with this. Depending on match-ups and foul trouble, I think he or Reischel plays PF at times.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Watson is exciting so far.

Limited experience and he came out with that jump hook right? And the dunk. Plus the rest.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Best stat for Jarvis, 63 minutes played and only 2 turnovers. A 4.5 assist to turnover ratio is pants tent material.
'No Mercy.'
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I really like Jarvis out there. He plays hard. I really love seeing Watson out there. He is intimidating.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Jarvis looks like he's got a firm grasp of the game. Some of the things he's done over the past few games screams to me that the kid is smart, crafty, and looking to pass first. I like this kid. Great pick up by Dan and the staff!
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

High basketball IQ. Kid's gonna be a star!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Shout out to Rod calling this guy's talent.

The cross over dribble in transition to swipe by the trailing defender against Neb was nasty.

Even more so I think Jarvis's ability to stay in front of the ball handler by moving his feet is special. Very impressive that he can beat them to the spot.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rod and Billyboy
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That's because me and Billyboy saw him a couple of times