ESPN/LUNARDI DAILY RPI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ESPN/LUNARDI DAILY RPI

Unread post by bressler3south »

Check this out -- utterly shocking!!!!!!!!!! It's almost ass-backwards.
Also, if you're looking for squads that one would think have a chance to crack the Top 25 this week, well…..
Who knew UMASS-Lowell would be a POSITIVE?!?!?!!?!?!?
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: ESPN/LUNARDI DAILY RPI

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That is hilarious. Someone should show that list to Dan tomorrow night!

Does that mean we are a 2 seed in the Dance right now? Ha ha
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

4 point favorites over kentucky?
I like it. Lol
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

And Pan American is number one for beating Ut San Antonio who's RPI is 150 plus...
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Wait till dec break before those numbers will start to make sense. A-10 as a conf needs a high conf rpi again this year, so far not so good with so many conf bottom teams early on, hopefully things turn around.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Omg. I can't tell who knows how RPI works and what it means at this point in the season.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it's like 50% your record, 25% your opponents record and 25% your opponents opponents record

aka right now it means nothing
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Twisted. Now I'm really scared when you got that wrong.

25% your record
50% opponents' record
25% opponents' opponents' record

That's the basic version without the win-loss home/away weighting.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

right, i always mix the first 2 up
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Early season fun! Seth Davis' AP ballot-

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Awesome that we will at least show up in the "Others Receiving Votes" section. Its been a while (January 2008 was the last time we were ranked, right?).

Just as big to me is Kansas remaining up top after their loss to Kentucky. I believe they shouldn't be punished for losing to Kentucky, but the way they lost made me worried they'd drop. I'm sure they will drop at least a little, but hopefully Seth's ballot is a signal of what most AP voters will do.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

OMG. Seth Davis is a madman! Small sample size craziness.

I laughed out loud when Stevie Mac on the post game show said URI would be getting top 25 votes today just because they beat D2 Pace, Lowell, and a "maybe not a real top 25 team" called the Huskers.

Found this reply to Seth Davis' tweets.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Davis is pretty clear that he picks under the radar but still decent teams for the end of his ballot. No one really thinks Rhody is a top 25 team at this point in the season- have to be clear on that before anyone goes running and telling. But is it fun? Sure.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Neither uri or pc are top 25 right now
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If we beat Kansas, we are.
Slava Ukraini!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Too early to tell who is what. After the top 10; at this stage you can make a case for 50 teams to be in the top 25. Look at FSU and Miami. Miami is supposed to be 9th in the ACC and FSU a tourney team. Who looks like who so far? January is when you start to know what you have.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody74 wrote:If we beat Kansas, we are.
True dat.....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

There are some friends to the North saying Nebraska is highly overrated. Hard to say where teams will end up in November, but a NCAA tournament team from a year ago returning all 5 starters, one a POY candidate, shouldn't be ranked a preseason top 25 is ridiculous.

It's a petty attempt to undermine, as it stands right now, a quality victory.
'No Mercy.'
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think the point was more that PC's body of work at 5-0 has been more impressive than URI's body of work at 2-0 (not counting the D2 game) given the larger sample size and overall quality of opponent.

To compare and contrast Notre Dame vs. Nebraska after a few games though is pointless. KenPom has them nearly even. No use arguing one's way way better or worse than the other. Both teams got great wins over the weekend over teams that will battle for the tournament.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Nebraska returned the same 5 starters from a tourney team...

Last years leading scorer in the Big10.

The win over Nebraska isn't an unknown commodity.

FSU sucks, they sucked last year and they will suck this year. Miami has basically an all Big12 back court. Miami is a top 5 team in the ACC.

PC is a joke for trying to spin their record into something more than URI's. Body of work? yea they have played more games, got it.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I think the point was more that PC's body of work at 5-0 has been more impressive than URI's body of work at 2-0 (not counting the D2 game) given the larger sample size and overall quality of opponent.

To compare and contrast Notre Dame vs. Nebraska after a few games though is pointless. KenPom has them nearly even. No use arguing one's way way better or worse than the other. Both teams got great wins over the weekend over teams that will battle for the tournament.
RJ, you know if Rhody were able to get a win over Kansas, the scout board will say Kansas is overrated too because the NBA farm team (They would be the D-League champs) routed them.
'No Mercy.'
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

no normal human would denigrate the kansas win.

most friar fans said solid win over nebraska.

don't get your panties in a bunch. but don't pretend like pc has handled their business either.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
PC is a joke for trying to spin their record into something more than URI's. Body of work? yea they have played more games, got it.
I think you are just being a little sensitive. If I went to compare resumes and I saw #44 (win; neutral) #81 (win; neutral) vs. #42 (win; home), I would take the team with the undefeated wins away from home every day especially given the comparable nature of both teams "marquee" wins so far.

It's not necessarily fair to URI because they've won what's in front of them. PC took care of business last weekend. URI can do the same this week, even in a good loss to Kansas. 2-1 with a good game of Kansas would be a great week. 3-0 would be tough but insanely impressive/clearly top 25 worthy.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I really just have a problem with FSU. The PC/URI thing will get settled in a few weeks.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PC NR/25, but getting a lot of votes from the AP.

URI NR/NR, AP has us as 7 out, coaches gave us 2 votes.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I hope PC is ranked when we play. They are going to get jail-sexed by Kentucky. They won't have difficulty with Yale and Brown. Hopefully they steamroll BC so they have a chance to be in that 20-25 range.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

peeps4life wrote:no normal human would denigrate the kansas win.

most friar fans said solid win over nebraska.

don't get your panties in a bunch. but don't pretend like pc has handled their business either.
I didn't say one negative thing about PC's wins. We'll need to wait and see about the Kansas talk as it may not even happen. But, I hope we have a repeat of 98'.

Those who did say 'good win' said that destroying us will look better in the same breath like we are an afterthought as the jaw-dropping thumping of a 1 point victory proved last year. The majority of each team's roster is still in place with both having talented additions, I expect another game going to final possession.
'No Mercy.'
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

i don't expect the same close game as long as lindsey and dunn are healthy. huge if.

our length will be trouble IMO.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Lindsey? I will give you Dunn but please with Lindsey. Getting wide open looks b/c no one knows what you are capable of does not scare anyone. Henton or Dunn may beat us, but Jalen Lindsey is a nice player who will not be a dagger to us one way or another. The whole game will come down to who and how we defend Dunn. If Dunn plays out of control, too fast or gets in foul trouble you will be in trouble. If he controls the game and is making plays we are in trouble. I think our athleticism will both your guys as much as yours will bother us. Starting 5 vs Starting 5 is splitting hairs as to which is more formidable at this point.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We'll see. Length means nothing to Hassan Martin.
The comments over there were generally favorable, with the usual
suspects throwing digs.
PC is gelling faster than I'd expected. I'm pretty sure TJ and Terrell can
shut down anyone.
Henton isn't better than Pettiway, and Pettiway looked lost except for a couple
of loud plays.
Game will come down to our old bugaboos, foul trouble and free throw shooting.
Lost in the glare of Saturday's nice win is, we missed 12 free throws, including
at least one one and one.
That game could have been put away close to double figures if they made free throws.
Bottom line is, ratings at this early time, are meaningless. Lots of basketball to
play, before it means much to either school.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

peeps4life wrote:i don't expect the same close game as long as lindsey and dunn are healthy. huge if.

As BAR said, Dunn worries me, Lindsey, eh.

Nebraska had some pretty serious length on the perimeter, which did give URI trouble in the first half with turnovers, but hopefully our guys will be more prepared to handle it from the opening tip when we face PC.

I also think we can dominate the boards against PC like we did against Nebraska - while our frontcourt may be somewhat undersized (though Hassan plays BIG), our backcourt is VERY good at rebounding and I would give EC/JT and co. the edge on the glass when the URI/PCs bigs are tied up battling.

I hope PC loses to Kentucky. Even though it would mean they're more highly ranked, yada yada yada. Couldn't deal with the shit from smith hill if that were to happen. Other than that, hope they win all their others and we clean their clocks up at the Dunk.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think anybody is beating Kentucky, but if someone does it certainly won't be PC.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

peeps4life wrote:i don't expect the same close game as long as lindsey and dunn are healthy. huge if.

The length of your tongue, your spastic icon and your arrogance are troubling….
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I love that avatar of Peep's.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Ah, yes. A-V-A-T-A-R!!!!!!!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I agree on the rebounding front. Henton is a dog, and he will mix it up, but Carson and Harris do not want to play physical. I see us being capable of winning the battle of the boards, and we probably have to in order to stay in the game. That was the difference in the game with Nebraska, along with two dagger threes from our own FR stud!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote:Lindsey? I will give you Dunn but please with Lindsey. Getting wide open looks b/c no one knows what you are capable of does not scare anyone. Henton or Dunn may beat us, but Jalen Lindsey is a nice player who will not be a dagger to us one way or another. The whole game will come down to who and how we defend Dunn. If Dunn plays out of control, too fast or gets in foul trouble you will be in trouble. If he controls the game and is making plays we are in trouble. I think our athleticism will both your guys as much as yours will bother us. Starting 5 vs Starting 5 is splitting hairs as to which is more formidable at this point.
This is what I love about college hoops. There is a 75 page thread on this board and several other posts giving Terrell a tongue bath(deservedly so, he's going to be special) but Lindsey is given a "meh" here because he wears Black and White; despite the fact that they were 10-15 slots different in the ratings. Lindsey is a difference maker for PC b/c 1. he's very good on defense. 2. If his guy collapses to help out on Dunn or Henton, he is a very good shooter and 6 ft 6. Cartright can shoot, but he's a little streaky and very small, also a liability on D.

If you haven't seen Bentil yet; he and Martin in the post should be fun. He doesn't have Martin's springs, but he probably has 20 lbs on him.

I agree that this game will be largely on Dunn for PC. If he can control the pace and bother Matthews on D; PC should have enough. Get your tickets early. Going to be a good one. And this year it's for more than state bragging rights.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

seanmc94 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Lindsey? I will give you Dunn but please with Lindsey. Getting wide open looks b/c no one knows what you are capable of does not scare anyone. Henton or Dunn may beat us, but Jalen Lindsey is a nice player who will not be a dagger to us one way or another. The whole game will come down to who and how we defend Dunn. If Dunn plays out of control, too fast or gets in foul trouble you will be in trouble. If he controls the game and is making plays we are in trouble. I think our athleticism will both your guys as much as yours will bother us. Starting 5 vs Starting 5 is splitting hairs as to which is more formidable at this point.
This is what I love about college hoops. There is a 75 page thread on this board and several other posts giving Terrell a tongue bath(deservedly so, he's going to be special) but Lindsey is given a "meh" here because he wears Black and White; despite the fact that they were 10-15 slots different in the ratings. Lindsey is a difference maker for PC b/c 1. he's very good on defense. 2. If his guy collapses to help out on Dunn or Henton, he is a very good shooter and 6 ft 6. Cartright can shoot, but he's a little streaky and very small, also a liability on D.

If you haven't seen Bentil yet; he and Martin in the post should be fun. He doesn't have Martin's springs, but he probably has 20 lbs on him.

I agree that this game will be largely on Dunn for PC. If he can control the pace and bother Matthews on D; PC should have enough. Get your tickets early. Going to be a good one. And this year it's for more than state bragging rights.
ummm
maybe that is because this is a URI Basketball Message Board? Just a wild guess but that might explain the 75 pages for Terrell and little on Lindsey.
I know Linsey had mon and hten an injury, but I expected more out of him in the first few games, I thought he was the best of the PC recruiting class this year, but as I said the illness and the injury may be contributing to his effectiveness so far. I still think he will prove to be the best of their incoming class.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Ramster,

I wasn't expecting a thread on a player that URI didn't recruit. My point was the perceived difference in the two players ability. Chukwu was actually higher rated; but he will take time to develop. By his junior year he will be a menace. For now, he is a spotty rim protector. Lindsey has been a little snake bit so far; but his outside shot is very fluid. He made FSU pay for collapsing on Dunn to the tune of 5-6 from 3pt land. His biggest asset is defense. 6 ft 6 vs. 5 ft 9 on the perimiter.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

The same FSU that was made to pay by Northeastern? Must be something special!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I agree fsu is no Pace; but then again, a 26 pt victory is different than a one possession game
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

#1 on espn's rpi ratings this morning...URI
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Running Ram wrote:#1 on espn's rpi ratings this morning...URI
Screenshot that and save it forever.

Never say this again, but Kansas at 128, will drop our RPI.

Seriously, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good grief. :shock:

Hope the boys don't come in TOO confident. :o
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm sure the coaches are on it. They all know that RPI means next to nothing after 2 games, but its fun to see us at the top. If we're top 10 after 15 games say, well that's something...
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Specific RPI numbers at this point are so misleading and useless.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

We all know that. Our comments are tounge-in-cheek.

I doubt the players even check the RPI. AP and Coaches' Poll, probably.
'No Mercy.'
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Specific RPI numbers at this point are so misleading and useless.
Stop being a troll, we're number 1!!!!
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Sweep The Leg wrote:We all know that. Our comments are tounge-in-cheek.

I doubt the players even check the RPI. AP and Coaches' Poll, probably.
They definitely don't. When Steve said URI checked in at 32 on the AP poll during the coaches show, Hurley made a face that was confusion, "bullshit." He is the furthest from overconfident and doesn't believe we've done close to enough to warrant that high of a ranking.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines