Game #3 - Rhode Island vs. (21) Nebraska - Saturday, Nov. 22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #3 - Rhode Island vs. (21) Nebraska - Saturday, Nov

Unread post by ace »

Nebraska's Director of Basketball Operations:

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think we did a great job of keeping Petteway out of the lane, forcing him to take a lot of outside shots. He was 5-18, including 1-7 from 3. Shields, on the other hand, was a handful all night long.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

YEEEAAAAAHHHH BABYYYY!! So happy! Love my Rhody Rams!
I'm one of those young Rhody fans who's never seen us beat a ranked team or play in the tourny and this win just warms my heart, because all I really know is disappointment and "almost" from those heart wrenching Jim Baron years.
This one is really sweet.
Way to go guys!
Bring on Kansas!
GO RHODY
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Not only do they have the box score up for the game three years ago, but the comments section is also from that game.

As far as tonight's game, I felt like URI was the far superior team to Nebraska. Free throw shooting made it close and URI came out a bit timid in the 1st half probably because it was the biggest game of all of their lives thus far. It showed in the outside shooting.

I wasn't impressed in the least with Nebraska. Maybe it was URI's defense but I felt like they just looked mediocre.

All in all a great win.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wow. Long night, but a great one.

We overcame the refs and our FT shooting. [Except for EC who was 11-14]

Fantastic win!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We get anywhere near this kind of atmosphere for our big conference home games later this season, we'll be very tough to beat, as this team matures.

Now the next challenge for a very young team: 3 games away from home, although not technically road games.

Win 2 out of 3, and it's all good.

Terrell is going to be a beast, very soon, and Jarvis won't be very far behind him.
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Great win!!

It feels like the 90s again...We're relevant!!

I'm liking this edition of the Rhody Rams!!
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

2 years ago FB got stomped on by Maine to close the year,
then BB lost to a ranked team at Mohegan.
Today...
Go Rhody!!!!!
Anybody seriously think we would sweep the games today?
So glad for all the kids on both teams, and what a sight to see
the students lined up past the north end zone waiting to get in tonight!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What an incredible game everything was wonderful for the marketing staff and announcer, the crowd was spectacular the students were amazing. What a game. So happy for this program
GO RAMS
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

Great game and seeing the kids having such a great time. Wish I was a student again on a night like this.
Just looked at the A10 BB site and is it is super now fans from every team are so supportive of our big win. Makes one proud to be a member of a super conference.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

This was such an incredible W. So awesome to catch up with Keaney Blue kids as well as the Athletic's peeps tonight at ChopHouse
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Just got home from the Mews post game. Go 205!!!! haha Soooooo glad I treated myself to good seats, was standing on the half court line extended all game long.

Most of my observations would be a repeat of the other intelligent forum members observations, but I must get on the record to say we overcame some of the most putrid officiating I've witnessed in a while. I want to know how these pool turd refs can't be held accountable for their horrible performances when its all out there on video for review.

Anyone know of the rate my professor web site? Is there one for refs? Perhaps there should be if not. I get that I see things with a Rhody slant, but some of those calls were so bad it seemed like two of the refs were on the take and the third was giving his best effort to try and balance things off with make-up calls, I mean to say the calls were bad going both ways, but especially bad against Rhody.

Truly, I believe there needs to be a way for a School/School's athletic department to have referee's calls reviewed in season, not to have game's outcomes changed or challenged, but to keep refs honest with a serious threat of discipline for "poor performance"
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Seriously, Nebraska: suck our nuts. Hard.

Love,

Rhode Island
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RIFan wrote:Bummer, no recruits...maybe we'll get a kid from Nebraska now
Shields can play on my team anytime! He was a monster ....
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We acted like we hadn't beaten a top 25 teams in way over decade. Well...

Clearly, our defense kept us in the game.
NCAAs or Bust!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Game stories:

"It was a huge win for the program and for our players," URI coach Dan Hurley said. "They're so unselfish and committed to the program that they deserve a moment like this."

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... ertime.ece

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400591101
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Great game! Still have no voice. The students were awesome!!! Hope they decide to keep coming no matter who the opponent. What a night.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Great game, so proud of this team and URI!! An unexpected situation last night prevented me from tuning into the game, but when I got home late I saw the boxscore and was amazed at the great rebounding job the team made. Kudos to EC for a great second half and OT. I will be looking for a replay to enjoy this Sunday afternoon.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It's not often that the script plays out so perfectly, but it certainly did last night- strong PR effort to get people to the game, resulting in a loud and involved crowd, and then, most importantly, a win (and a dramatic one at that).

The last time a Hurley coached team beat a ranked opponent, they went on to win 25 games. Just a comment, not a prediction.
ram12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ram12 »

If anyone knows where to find a replay to the game online, please post. Would love to watch it again!
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

WE'RE BACK!

GO RHODY!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ram12 wrote:If anyone knows where to find a replay to the game online, please post. Would love to watch it again!
Just in case you don't see the other post:

http://www.coxhub.com/ri-mens-basketbal ... 39f987f822

I hope they win.
ram12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ram12 »

ace wrote:
ram12 wrote:If anyone knows where to find a replay to the game online, please post. Would love to watch it again!
Just in case you don't see the other post:

http://www.coxhub.com/ri-mens-basketbal ... 39f987f822

I hope they win.

Didn't see this. Thanks Ace!
nowaczykf
Jim Eitner

Unread post by nowaczykf »

Class act for Avery and family…Great win for RI and A10…Keep rocking the non-conference schedule...From a VCU Ram fan.
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

UNREAL night. UNREAL atmosphere.

I don't even know what else to say.

Now if you'll excuse me...I've got a few gallons of tea w/ honey and lemon calling my name.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

This morning; the coffee tastes better, the wife looks better, the omelet was perfect, the pile of leaves doesn't look as big, my fantasy team roster(in last place) looks better, and asked the host for Thanksgiving dinner to ring the dinner bell later.....amazing what a big statement win does....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyras
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhodyras »

will cox be providing sound in the first half of the replay?
went right up thru halftime last night w/o audio...
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyras wrote:will cox be providing sound in the first half of the replay?
went right up thru halftime last night w/o audio...
There's sound. Watch, listen, and enjoy.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The picture slideshow in the Projo article alone is with the click through- 3, 4, and 11 are my favorites
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Projo Articles on win:

Matthews, Rams stun Cornhuskers
The Rams’ E.C. Matthews and Jared Terrell turn it on late as Rhody defeats a top-25 team for the first time since 1998
By BILL KOCH JOURNAL SPORTS WRITER
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5

RAMS JOURNAL
At long last, the fans came out in droves
By BILL KOCH JOURNAL SPORTS WRITER
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

So glad I made that trip. Incredible night. Incredible atmosphere. This fan base deserves this. Well done, Rhody. Terrell quickly becoming one of my favorites.
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Anyone have a link to the cox highlights of game or post game interviews?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I woke up this morning and we still won last night and I still had two pieces of Mews pizza in my fridge. As the great Canadian philosopher Mark Recchi once so eloquently said, "Woo! Yea! Woo! FUCKIN' RIGHT!!!"

I remember sitting in Meade Stadium with urirx toward the end of the spring semester of 2002 just looking at the Ryan Center and imagining what the future held for our program. Surely the 2 years of Jerry D would be washed away and forgotten as quickly as the bad dream they were. I wasn't especially high on Jim Baron, but he had gone to the tournament twice before. Frankly, and looking back, naively, it seemed impossible at the time to think that we weren't at the dawn of something truly special. Our recent history and the promise of the Ryan Center made it incomprehensible to think otherwise.

Last night was the night we were talking about in 2002. Last night was the night we assumed would just happen over and over again. A top 25 team in a packed and loud house. Students making one of the best memories of URI they'll have. Alumns and fans adding another notch on their belt and remembering the big wins the program had back when we were the student section.

I don't know what the rest of the season holds. I don't want to expect too much from a team that has so many freshman and sophomores, because as talented as they are there will be bumps in the road and I don't want to become jaded because I know despite the speed bumps that this program is on the right track. This program is poised to make the days I imagined in 2002 come to life. I don't know what the future holds, but I know right now feels really fucking good.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

As an aside, I listened to the game while driving my daughter around the state to her soccer matches, and really enjoyed Paul Fuller (of Paul and Al fame on 94HJY). From Warwick to North Smithfield and back to Coventry the game and post game show came in clear. Much better than the Cox audio when I left my house.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder what Jordan Hare is thinking right now?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What an unbelievable night, not since Kansas has a win been so gratifying. From the coaches, to the players to the students and us die hard fans, we all deserved it! I LOVED the students chanting Avery and the way they repped URI in such a good way during that ceremony. Real class.

On to the game, for this team it is all about the Core 4, while others (TJ, Reischel and Watson) provided valuable minutes and contributions, the future is with the Core 4 of Terrell, EC, Garrett and Martin.

Hassan - a MAN. really, a MAN. He was jumping over through and around everyone. I am sure he wishes he hit that 2 foot bunny at the end of regulation, but rebounding was the biggest difference in this game and he was our driving force in the paint. I would like to see more effort at getting him the ball on offense.

Garrett - name the 3 easiest buckets we scored last night, and Jarvis assisted on all of them. One was the alley-oop to Hassan and another the nice dish to Watson for the slam. I am guessing Dan wanted experience and defense on the court down the stretch and opted for TJ but I was calling for Jarvis to be put back in. I guess that's why I am a fan and Dan is the coach!

EC - really tough first half, only credited him with 3 TOs but it felt like he had 10. A lot of dribbling and a lot of forcing the action. Again he needs to let the game come to him more and try to set up others in the first half of games. He had Hassan and Gil a few times wide open underneath b/c everyone was keyed on EC. The second half, a different story. That floater in OT and that and-1 with the left hand on the right side of hoop were special.

Jared Terrell - gonna be a very, very, very special player for URI. Nowadays they call it swagger, but we used to call it Moxie and this kid has it in droves. As a FR he is already a leader of this team on the court, pumping people up, motivating his teammates. He plays with an evil smile, like he is angry and having fun at the same time. He wants the ball when it counts and is not scared of the bright lights. I was shocked at how loose he played last night. Really tough shooting game and yet he played like a bull in OT, those 2 three's were the difference and he was fearless in taking them. The step back 3 was NBA material. I cant say enough about this kid, he is going to carry us to the promised land.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

What I though was just as classy as the team wearing the shirts in support of Avery was the classy reaction of the students. They really did the university proud last night in every way during that game. They were cheering and involved all game long. It's been a while since I've seen that.

I'm pretty sure the officiating took 10 years off my life, but the win was well deserved. Jared's 3's were clutch. I really feel like the crowd is such a big factor when the Ryan Center is packed. When there is a crowd like last night, I feel like no matter what kind of team we have on the floor the team manages to find a way to stay in games. This is shaping up to be a fun season.

Shout out to Rhody Jay for some brilliant signage. "Oh, me so corney" was my favorite. Priceless!
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I think when all is said and done most of us won't be able to pick who they think was the greater get of the 2012/2013 recruits, Martin or Mathews that is. With all the press Mathews gets (love it and love him) its easy to undervalue Martin, but his impact is second to none on this team.

Also, I know most of this community hates when I do this so early in the season, but our RPI ranking is 5 this morning, better than Kansas' RPI so I guess they will really want to get up for their game against the better team in the Rhody Rams.

Yeah Dude! Jay's signs were great last night.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Loved the swagger by E.C. as he starting scoring and talking trash to Nebraska's Benny Parker during the second half of the game. It was pretty funny. He was in his face pointing downward and saying "Your'e going down! You're going down!". He was definitely in that kids head and then shorty after Parker fouled out.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

might have to wear this to work tomorrow

http://instagram.com/p/vwG0RuSw96/?modal=true
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Some soon to be iconic end of the game images 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

An added bonus was Rod on the jumbotron
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hey guys: THAT REALLY FUCKING HAPPENED!!!

Needed to write that down because it's almost hard to believe after years of not getting it done. This feeling is new...and it's AWESOME
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Sometimes the past is easier to understand when you have seen the future

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KE-MVuO3TG4
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Was at the game.. That was INCREDIBLE !

Fired up ..

Thank you coach Hurley for coming here !
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

We are relevant again.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

EZBuckets wrote:UNREAL night. UNREAL atmosphere.

Now if you'll excuse me...I've got a few gallons of tea w/ honey and lemon calling my name.
Great job, Buckets! It must have been nice to have a great crowd to work with.
Slava Ukraini!
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Rhody74 wrote:
EZBuckets wrote:UNREAL night. UNREAL atmosphere.

Great job, Buckets! It must have been nice to have a great crowd to work with.
Thank you.

The enthusiasm of the students and the crowd was fantastic...I fed off that energy and ran with it all night.

ATP referred to me as "Maestro" at Mews...which is definitely appropriate. Those kids were responsive to everything and anything I said.

I can only hope that atmosphere becomes the norm and not the exception.