Nebraska: PROJECT PACK THE HOUSE !

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Nebraska: PROJECT PACK THE HOUSE !

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:Using the map (and too much of my time) these are the number of seats available

100 level: 68 tickets
200 level: 399 tickets
300 level: 1789 tickets
Total: 2256 tickets
That's what I did, then I added the 1500 student ones, which are not sold. That brings the total to 3756 total tickets left. The student seats that eventually are used could be 1000, but could also be 100. We don't know. So, that's how I came up with approx. 4000 tickets sold.
Although the numbers I came up with were:
100: 64 200: 392 300: 1942
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:NJ- you called me out.. Ha.. I had carton on my mind when I thought of that !

Twisted: good job.. Hope your #s are right !

ElmCityRhody - VOICE OF THE PEOPLE!!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

This is a great marketing campaign that is long overdue. Hopefully the student rally and give the team the home court advantage that the RC was designed to be
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

twisted3829 wrote:it's a top 25 team, students will show up

All 63 of 'em….
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ChiPhiRhody03 »

just win. Give the students a reason to come down the campus to the Ryan Center. All the marketing and free crap in the world won't do much - team has to win. You beat a ranked Nebraska (and I'm not currently projecting that to happen although it would be nice to see) and you'll get buzz around campus - and around the media (and no, I'm not talking about the Providence Journal - worthless rag that it is). One big win + buzz = student support. If you recall, after we went toe to toe with Duke a few years back (they lost but for a while it seemed very possible they were gonna pull off the Cameron upset), and then beat up Syracuse at Syracuse, students (and ESPN) started giving URI some notice. I'm pretty sure they were ranked at some point that season too. Once that happened, students started showing up. Same thing here. Just. Win.
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Just got tickets in section 103 behind the Nebraska bench. Not a good sign at all that tickets like that are available. Or hopefully Nebraska gave tickets back??? Pray for a lot of walk up sales on Saturday.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Everyone on this board knows some fans who come to a couple of games a year. Get them to come to this one! From a marketing standpoint, this is one of the most important games in a long time. With the changes to the RC, a good crowd will make this a fun game, which will get people to come back.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The Duke and Syracuse games were in different seasons, but I do agree that playing those types of games and winning, or even being really competitive, does more for student interest than blowing out a cupcake.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:So, what sections are reserved for the students?
114, 101, 102, 215, 201, 202, and 301 are reserved for students.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Nice to see DH is personally involved. He understands the need for a great turnout.
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ChiPhiRhody03 wrote:just win. Give the students a reason to come down the campus to the Ryan Center. All the marketing and free crap in the world won't do much - team has to win. You beat a ranked Nebraska (and I'm not currently projecting that to happen although it would be nice to see) and you'll get buzz around campus - and around the media (and no, I'm not talking about the Providence Journal - worthless rag that it is). One big win + buzz = student support. If you recall, after we went toe to toe with Duke a few years back (they lost but for a while it seemed very possible they were gonna pull off the Cameron upset), and then beat up Syracuse at Syracuse, students (and ESPN) started giving URI some notice. I'm pretty sure they were ranked at some point that season too. Once that happened, students started showing up. Same thing here. Just. Win.
But that's the thing. Beating a team like this at home could be greatly affected by a large, enthusiastic, student involvement. That's what Dan is taking about. It's a catch-22. You could really use the student backing to win a game like this. But the students won't start coming until you win a game like this. A win like this could get this program rolling. The students need to be at this game.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I've said it before, but putting myself in the student's position a Saturday NIGHT game against a ranked opponent would be like gift from God. Not only should students be at the game, but it should be the rowdiest crowd at the Ryan since that blizzard game against Richmond on a couple years ago when school was cancelled and the students had all day to get...um....ready for the game. No excuse not to be ready for this one, too.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:I've said it before, but putting myself in the student's position a Saturday NIGHT game against a ranked opponent would be like gift from God. Not only should students be at the game, but it should be the rowdiest crowd at the Ryan since that blizzard game against Richmond on a couple years ago when school was cancelled and the students had all day to get...um....ready for the game. No excuse not to be ready for this one, too.
Exactly! Just as Tom Brady suggested to Patriots' fans a few years back.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I've said it before, but putting myself in the student's position a Saturday NIGHT game against a ranked opponent would be like gift from God. Not only should students be at the game, but it should be the rowdiest crowd at the Ryan since that blizzard game against Richmond on a couple years ago when school was cancelled and the students had all day to get...um....ready for the game. No excuse not to be ready for this one, too.
Exactly! Just as Tom Brady suggested to Patriots' fans a few years back.
Stay hydrated everybody!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

That Richmond game was my senior year. Just an incredible buzz with the students to be at that game, a lot even drove up from Narragansett, including myself and roomates. Add to that, it was a pink-out game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the record was set for student attendance that night. Any time you get the student body in droves, it becomes an incredible opportunity to turn into a domino effect. Win WITH the students in attendance, and they come back.
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

I believe we started with a 12-0 run in that game as the house was completely nuts and prob overwhelmed the Spiders. Unfortunately Richmond came back to ultimately win that game, but it just shows what a loud, on-top-of-you crowd, can do to a visiting college opponent.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm looking at the map. Section 211 are good seats. There are over 100 tickets left in that section alone. They are not moving. The only way we get a big crowd is if the students respond.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

seriously students.. seriously ?

get it together.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

211 isn't a student section, so there being plenty of good seats isn't on them, it's on us. We don't even have an estimate for what student attendance will be yet, they don't actually get their tickets ahead of time. The way student attendance is handled is their ID is scanned beginning an hour before the game and that is their ticket.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

203, 211 and 213 are where most of the 200 seats remaining are
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NJ03 wrote:I believe we started with a 12-0 run in that game as the house was completely nuts and prob overwhelmed the Spiders. Unfortunately Richmond came back to ultimately win that game, but it just shows what a loud, on-top-of-you crowd, can do to a visiting college opponent.
I will always remember that game for what I went through to get to it and for the crowd (which was not a sellout but was pretty full considering the weather and made up entirely of supercommitted fans). If Keith had made that shot at the end it would have been an all-time game for me.
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Calling out students for poor attendance before the game even happens is a little premature, no?

I have faith that between word of mouth and the efforts of the Marketing staff leading up to the game, we will have a solid student turnout.

Although students ignite the spark & are vital to set the atmosphere in the RC...we also need the rest of the crowd to chip in and also make some sort of noise. This past weekend felt like I was pulling teeth for ANY kind of crowd reaction outside of throwing a shirt or ball.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Its unreal to me, EC and Terrell almost connect on a ridiculous alley-oop and somehow the throwing of promo tee shirts gets more noise. I question the RI fan base in general, I watch the PC games and their crowd is just as passive. What's the deal?

In terms of 211, I can tell you that my row (D) will be full as always.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's not just RI. Go to Fenway and the wave and Sweet Caroline get a bigger reaction than important plays. It's just unfortunately the nature of being a fan today for a lot of people.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

There were times two years ago, when we had good crowds.
Every time, we lost
We can't expect people to show up,then we lay an egg,
and for them to show up any time soon.
Winning this type of game is vital to many things, not the least of which is
attendance.
I'm with BAR. I never got the insane reaction to giving out crappy products
during timeouts.
I have not been to many games when that didn't producing the loudest
din of the night.
Maybe that's when people put their damned phones down?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Rhowdy is right. Have you been to a Pats home game recently? It is the quietest stadium of an elite team in the NFL by far. Maybe it's the nature of the northeast region? I will point out though, that college basketball is the one sport where the students generate the most noise and hostility. Look at Cameron, the Izzone, Florida, Phog Allen, etc. All of those courts are surrounded for the most part in the lower bowl by students. It's not half full either, they stand the entire game and yell as well. That generates a lot more noise than the rest of the general public. We haven't had that at the Ryan Center at all.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ditto on 211. The good thing is I can't tell if people are getting into it beacuse I'm in row A standing during the highlight plays.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We haven't had that at the Ryan Center since they moved the student section. The Ryan Center was nuts during the game when St. Joe's came in as one of the best teams in the country and Dicky V. was there. Even some of the first NIT games we hosted there it was a really hostile environment. But when you marginalize the student section by sticking it behind a basket you kill a lot of the intensity. It was packed for the PC game last year and it was a great atmosphere, but it never got to the old levels.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Tickets sold so far: 4000
Students: 1500
Tickets sold rest of week: 1000
Walkups: 500
Total: 7000
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'll be shocked if the amount of students is anywhere near 1500.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Some of you guys must be blasts at parties. The game is 5 days in the future and you're already mad about the attendance?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

OK, I'm pulling a Bressler here...

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:I'll be shocked if the amount of students is anywhere near 1500.
Huh? Shocked really? That's just being grossly pessimistic. Many have given legit reasons why students would come to this game vs at other times and vs other opponents.

I think they'll get that amount. The key will be getting them to stand and BE A STUDENT SECTION!!

Back in the first years of the Ryan Center, we would fill 104 and be standing and making noise on EVERY possession.

D-Fence and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA when other team had the ball and a variety of pro-Rhody chants when the good guys had the ball.

And ALWAYS taunts for the visiting team and especially coaches Martelli, Chaney, and Welsh.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

section(105) wrote:Even campus radio? Probably too late for either the AM or FM to get a remote going, sponsors etc....
WRIU is pretty far from "campus radio". They're the biggest non-commercial FM station in the state and they've covered every men's bball, football, baseball and hockey game live for years now. AM no longer exists, now its an online-only station called RIU2 that covers basically everything else (both soccer teams, women's bball & hockey, softball).

Believe two years ago for they set a record with something like 2k students. The marketing dept had held a contest between dorms and whichever had the best turnout % would win a pizza party. It totally worked. There's literally no reason they shouldn't hold that contest for every single home game. Cost them almost nothing and could seriously bring the students in. Specially freshies.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Angry ram attacking a Nebraska-red punching bag. The internet is an interesting place.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

So Puck and WRIU, where are they on this campaign? just asking.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Hey 105, sorry for the way I phrased that. Those were two different thoughts... one was about WRIU and the other about the pizza promotion. The "they" I was referring to about the pizzas was athletics marketing dept. Believe it was a partnership with Kingston Pizza and seemed to work, certainly promotions for the students are one of the best bets until they make beers available at the games (Gansett specials will pack that student section far more effectively than ranked teams ever will ;) )

WRIU doesn't have any connection to the ath dept, they're a non-profit/student org. They cover games as a student media outlet and provide free broadcasts.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Thanks for the clarification
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Gansett specials does sound nice to me
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

If we sold alcohol we would have a minimum of an extra 1k per game in my opinion. I know they are trying to reverse the alcohol (dry campus) policy. Win and sell booze and people will follow
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It looks like about 500 hundred tickets in the 300 level have been sold in the last few hours.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No matter what attendance we have for Nebraska, the next home game will be Delaware State when we will draw crickets. Put that all together, Athletics Dept. will have lost $60,000 in revenue versus last year. That is the price you pay for bad home OOC scheduling.
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

As a student I can tell you that I am doing all that I can to spread the word. I have spoken with every Resident Adviser that I know telling them to tell their students to come. I have placed it on social media on three different mediums, and will continue to throughout the week. I reached out to the marketing team, and today met with them to discuss the student perspective of their marketing campaign thus far, as well as what can be added. They are giving 2000 tshirts away for students, and I was pleased with their ideas for advertising the game on campus. In my opinion, the game on a Saturday should appeal great to other students, and with enough talk, handing out flyers, and social media we should truly have a home court advantage this Saturday.

PS - talk from the players was a slightly rough practice today, however the idea is for a gradual build up of hype till the tip off.

Godspeed to a winning season.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

beat nebraska and it will help the delaware st attendance
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

matthew_luca wrote:As a student I can tell you that I am doing all that I can to spread the word. I have spoken with every Resident Adviser that I know telling them to tell their students to come. I have placed it on social media on three different mediums, and will continue to throughout the week. I reached out to the marketing team, and today met with them to discuss the student perspective of their marketing campaign thus far, as well as what can be added. They are giving 2000 tshirts away for students, and I was pleased with their ideas for advertising the game on campus. In my opinion, the game on a Saturday should appeal great to other students, and with enough talk, handing out flyers, and social media we should truly have a home court advantage this Saturday.

PS - talk from the players was a slightly rough practice today, however the idea is for a gradual build up of hype till the tip off.

Godspeed to a winning season.
Thanks Matt! We could use some eyes and ears on campus, if you're up for the job. There could be beers in it for you (if it won't get me arrested).
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Wouldn't it be funny,if attendance was less at Nebraska game vs. a FB game!
Particularly given that no one goes to the FB games (allegedly).
I go to both BTW.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I'm going to both, also. Maybe there are a couple of crazies like myself (and Hal) who will hang around for the "second game of the doubleheader". Go Rhody!
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

A student told me this: "If there's no Pats game or a good college basketball game on ESPN, I might check out URI."