Big East - Basketball Only Schools Leaving

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: Big East - Basketball Only Schools Leaving?

Unread post by RIFan »

There was one post on a board I read that showed all the natural rivalries that would be intensified if both the A10 and the TBN7 merged. It was quite impressive because of all the geographic overlap and existing rivalries and hard feeling between the schools. I understand the word on the street is that won't happen, but it would have made for some real intense -not made up - rivalries. Imagine if those games actually meant standing in the league, and not just bragging rights...
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Sweep The Leg wrote:Brutus, are you Seth Davis? I'm not sure who was in the studio with Seth Davis yesterday, but he stated that if they were to poach the A-10, they'd be foolish not to invite Rhody and St. Joe's as they would bring in instant rivalries in URI/PC and Nova/St. Joe's.
Right Doug Gottlieb. He also brought up this gem. He said the BE7 would be making a mistake to split from the footballers. Seth Davis asked him why? His response was "Because there won't be matchups like Georgetown vs Syracuse anymore." Seth Davis responded with "There isn't going to be either way." The idiot Gottlieb didn't figure out yet that the Cuse was moving to the ACC.

Villanova would never allow St. Joe's to be in the league, and URI doesn't make any sense at all.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I wouldn't mind the term "Mid-Major" if everyone who isn't a BCS league wasn't lumped together. If they are going to call out Mid, what about Low?
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

again, this is like winning the lottery for pc, a mid major program who can now play in a mid major conference, no longer a small fish in a big pond.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Shinze88 wrote:again, this is like winning the lottery for pc, a mid major program who can now play in a mid major conference, no longer a small fish in a big pond.
Holy Cross is supposedly now interested in the A10.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

MORE LATER, FROM THE PSYCHIC FRIENDS NETWORK!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

So, let me see if I have this right. The A10 schools are being invited because they've accomplished something. They'll be contributing to half of the C7 who are there only because they are Catholic schools- a free ride for teams that haven't done anything in a long time. Sounds like Obama economics. Maybe, he can be the commissioner in a few years.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

ramfan85 wrote:So, let me see if I have this right. The A10 schools are being invited because they've accomplished something. They'll be contributing to half of the C7 who are there only because they are Catholic schools- a free ride for teams that haven't done anything in a long time. Sounds like Obama economics. Maybe, he can be the commissioner in a few years.
It's funny how bad X, SLU, Dayton and Butler fans want out of the A10. I wonder why?
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Butler hasn't played a league game yet. How unhappy can they be? No one cares about StL, anyway. X will have a harder time getting to the dance if they leave. And Dayton should be thrilled to be in the A10 now that Marques Jones has graduated.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ramfan85 wrote: And Dayton should be thrilled to be in the A10 now that Marques Jones has graduated.
That made me smile. Good memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YfSI_36I1o
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Great video. I wish i was skilled enough on the computer to add stuff like this.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The new conference will be a nice BB conference...no doubt. The quality is basically the A10 minus the 3 crap teams + Marquette, G'Town and 'Nova. I don't blame anyone for trying to improve their situation, and the A10 teams that are invited, get to make a new league better than the one they are in now. My only doubt is the TV dollars that they are trowing around. I still don't get it, unless the A10 had the worst negotiators ever, the difference should not be that great. how many teams from this 10-12 school conference should we expect to go to the tourney every year? My guess is 4-6, just like the current A10 was projected.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bottom line is this:
the A-10 has survived the defections of Pitt, Villanova, West Virginia, Rutgers, VATech, and Temple.
They've been around a long time, and will continue to revamp and survive.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

rodfromcranston wrote:Bottom line is this:
the A-10 has survived the defections of Pitt, Villanova, West Virginia, Rutgers, VATech, and Temple.
Noone ever said the A10 will not survive. It's just going to have to survive without Temple, Charlotte, Butler, Xavier, St. Louis and Dayton.
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Well, its looking like at some point in time teams like Xavier and Butler will be leaving. While this SUCKS for the A10, it could really be a blessing in disguise for Rhody. If these teams decide to leave, then Rhody could instantly become the top team in the A10 and have a quicker path to the NCAA Tourney. Then in the far future, if the A10 is diminished and somewhat weak, Rhody would look like a Creighton or Gonzaga and potentially be a team that bigger conferences would want to add.

Right now it just sucks because the A10 was truly just starting to become a very strong conference, potentially even adding a Creighton or Gonzaga after this year if this Big East nonsense didn't happen
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Bottom line is this:
This is a great point.
I wonder if the BE would have done as well through the years if a bigger conference kept plucking their top teams.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Big East would have done fine because they would have used CUSA and A-10 to reload.

Unfortunately, we can all blame the football schools for making this all about the $$.

People would sell their souls for an extra couple of $$ rather than be loyal to their friends. You see that in the ACC, Big East, and even the A-10.

URI would do the same thing as everyone else if they had the street value to be added to a potential conference.

As the money tree grows (and lessens for some), it will be interesting to see how this shakes out for all, especially the BE football teams who whored themselves out for years and now are looking at a national football/basketball conference. Good luck with that travel budget. Can you picture UCONN's women's soccer playing at San Diego St.? A worthless blackhole sport just costs triple now.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Brutus wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:So, let me see if I have this right. The A10 schools are being invited because they've accomplished something. They'll be contributing to half of the C7 who are there only because they are Catholic schools- a free ride for teams that haven't done anything in a long time. Sounds like Obama economics. Maybe, he can be the commissioner in a few years.
It's funny how bad X, SLU, Dayton and Butler fans want out of the A10. I wonder why?
Brut-ass, by all accounts X and Dayton have been happy in the A-10. If they leave, it's only because of the money. Majerus never made a secret that he wanted SLU in the Big East, but still they stayed in the A-10 rather than a lesser league.

It's all about the benjamins, to quote an old movie.
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Big fish eat smaller fish.....the big east has poached the A-10 many times to protect the football brand....now that basketball is poaching it is taking basketball schools....

...the A-10 has taken X, Dayton, St. Louis, Butler, and VCU, etc. from smaller ponds themselves...it will continue...

...if URI were on the radar to join the C7 with the above schools I think no one here would complain....we seem not to be however so it is a "woe is us" feeling..

We have been used to being in a second class conference for years however.....now all the basketball only schools without big time BCS football are mid-majors including the C7 and whoever gets added to them.....they will be the best mid-major conference but the gap will not be as great as the gap was between the A-10 and the real big east of a few years ago....

....you cannot cry about it....you have to try your best to be the new version of Gonzaga, Xavier, Butler and VCU....a big fish in a small pond who wins their conference on a perennial basis and wins some games in the NCAA's.....if we can fit that definition I think our fans would be happy..the margin for error is much smaller in a weaker conference however.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Rhody74 wrote:
Brutus wrote:
Brut-ass, by all accounts X and Dayton have been happy in the A-10. If they leave, it's only because of the money. Majerus never made a secret that he wanted SLU in the Big East, but still they stayed in the A-10 rather than a lesser league.

It's all about the benjamins, to quote an old movie.
They are not happy at all.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Any chance that the BE-7 would add SBU, LaSalle, Duquesne and Fordham. An all-catholic conference could bring religion into college athletics. Breaking one of the 10 Commandments could become a foul. We could replace foul shots with penance. Referees could wear red beanies. The game could become a mass including communion. I hate mixing relgion with anything.
NCAAs or Bust!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Richmond, Rhodey, VCU, St Joes, and maybe Umass if they don't bolt is really not bad at all-- George Washington? they suck

Worst thing is the lost momentum the A10 had. Butler just knocked off the #1!

The inflation of the value that the C7s enjoy is just painful

URI= Best front Court in the North East next year outside of Syracuse. Looks crowded !

From here out we make our own luck.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Richmond, Rhodey, VCU, St Joes, and maybe Umass if they don't bolt is really not bad at all-- George Washington? they suck

Worst thing is the lost momentum the A10 had. Butler just knocked off the #1!

The inflation of the value that the C7s enjoy is just painful

URI= Best front Court in the Noth East next year outside of Syracuse. Looks crowded !

From here out we make our own luck.
Agree 100 pct!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No question that making your own luck has a ring of authenticity. The only thing URI has control over is what we do ourselves. And in this process we should always take the high road - by athletics, the administration, the students, the alumni, and all of us as fans.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

After much thought I have decided I don't care about those schools leaving the a10. Sad to see butler go before we had a real chance to see them grow but this really isn't the end of the world. We still have a strong conference with a weak bottom - same as always. Dayton is a bubble team we can find another bubble team to replace them. X was a perrienial top 25 program in the a10 - not sure they keep that up in this new league (careful what you wish for).

As for butler - I was happy to see them in the a10 for the short term. My question with butler and VCu was whether they could sustain their success long term. That is a question yet to be answered. St joes had a very nice run for a few years and then fell back to being a bubble team again.

As for the tv money - I would not be surprised if the teams get a good deal out of the gate by convincing some dummy exec that pc/Villanova is a good TV game. The next contract will probably not be so kind when ratings are lower than expected.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Your last point is a good point, but I think a lot of it depends on the growth of the teams.

One of my concerns as a Friar fan --- Who are your "rivalry" games? We've always had three teams --URI, BC, and UCONN. URI has petered out for the moment as both teams have been down, BC has been sorta the same way, as once they left the conference, people forgot about them. And who knows if PC plays UCONN anymore than once a decade after this. Conference rivalries are so important to TV ratings, and not only that, but attendance. What creates new rivalries though? Winning. Why did Pitino and JTII have that big blow out at the Dunk in '87? Because of the atmosphere and pressure of the game, and as long as the teams are good, people care about that stuff. Friar fans, at least at first, won't care about Xavier or Butler or Dayton. But if PC is winning and both teams are competing for a bubble birth, the circumstances of the game show up.

Friar fans are no different than URI fans. They will show up if the team is good, in droves. The problem is the team has been down for most of the past decade. Same with St. John's, and Seton Hall. If those team's can continue their improvement, some natural rivalries can form. Will people nationally care? I don't know, but what does it matter? What do you think the average viewship game for a game on ESPN or ESPN2 is? If this conference can illustrate the ability to consistently put out Top 25 primetime games, maybe it isn't Louisville/Syracuse, or Kentucky/Florida, but people will watch if the game is a good matchup, that's why most of us watch anyway. Why else watch Indiana/Butler? Or Chaminade/Texas?

The question will always be -- Media markets are great, but can you put out a consistent winner in those markets? It will always, always, always come down to coaching. Is VCU good without Smart? Is Butler good without Stevens? Teams have to win to create value. The markets are there, the program prestige is there, now are the results?
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I am not sure if it has been mentioned here but A10 presidents are meeting this week in an effort to get on the same page...
Clapton is God
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but this story implies that X leaving is not a done deal:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... t/1772529/
Slava Ukraini!
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

I would think if Xavier were to leave the A10 it would be to move to a major conference ?
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Shinze88 wrote:I would think if Xavier were to leave the A10 it would be to move to a major conference ?
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... wn-victims

BTW Shinze if you want to talk "major conference" maybe you should read today's Daily News. :lol:
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Why is there something on the SEC ? ACC? B10? what did I miss?
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

Shinze88 wrote:Why is there something on the SEC ? ACC? B10? what did I miss?
Nope just about a conference that will be the demise of the A10.

BTW the Albany board is speculating that they're getting an A10 invite.
bkrichmond

Unread post by bkrichmond »

No basketball conference that loses Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Connecticut can be considered a major conference anymore.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody74 wrote:Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but this story implies that X leaving is not a done deal:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... t/1772529/
Then again I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time ....)

http://www.musketeermadness.com/board/v ... e9&start=0
Slava Ukraini!
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

bkrichmond wrote:No basketball conference that loses Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Connecticut can be considered a major conference anymore.
bk, funny how you disappeared from the PC board right after the win over URI. I saw you had finally posted something there the other day, but no mention of the game from you.

Where have you been?
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I guess my point (which re-reading my post I did not make because I was rambling on waiting for the judge call my case) is that losing a couple of good teams from the a10 will sting but not kill the league. Those teams will be replaced with other up-and-coming programs that 5 years from now may be the "jewel" of the A10. X has been the best team in the league over the past 10 years but the league was not built on X and Dayton alone.

The C7 schools are patting thrmselves on the back as if this such a fantastic league that they are creating. They are making the A10 minus the extreme bottom feeders which means some of those teams applauding this move will become the new Fordham. At least when you were at the bottom of a league with cuse, UConn, Pitt, ND etc people were willing to take pity on you and explain it away as being a tough schedule. Everyone at a C7 school has to realize that this league is a major drop off from where you were 3 years ago. Welcome to being a mid-major conference!
bkrichmond

Brutus wrote:
bkrichmond wrote:No basketball conference that loses Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Connecticut can be considered a major conference anymore.
bk, funny how you disappeared from the PC board right after the win over URI. I saw you had finally posted something there the other day, but no mention of the game from you.

Where have you been?
Yet another example of why people want to ban you, Brutus. Stick to the topic at hand and save the personal attacks.
Brutus
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brutus »

bkrichmond wrote:
Brutus wrote:

Where have you been?
Yet another example of why people want to ban you, Brutus. Stick to the topic at hand and save the personal attacks.
WOW you're right bk, what a personal attack. :roll:
bkrichmond

It's funny how you appeared here at the exact same time. Leave the PC viewpoint for informed posters like seanmc94, who is pretty well respected across the board and adds to the discussion. This is adding nothing.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Brutus wrote:
Shinze88 wrote:Why is there something on the SEC ? ACC? B10? what did I miss?
Nope just about a conference that will be the demise of the A10.

BTW the Albany board is speculating that they're getting an A10 invite.
Last NCAA Appearance

Albany 2007
pc 2004

Ouch...
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The recent histories of St. John's, DePaul, Seton Hall and Providence have not been great.....X, Butler, VCU, Dayton etc bring more to the table ....and even Villanova has been trending downward....and like others I question how much success is built on the cult of the coach...for these schools and the A-10 schools....

...the BCS big-timers can attract more students based upon the perceived big-time status.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

bkrichmond wrote:It's funny how you appeared here at the exact same time. Leave the PC viewpoint for informed posters like seanmc94, who is pretty well respected across the board and adds to the discussion. This is adding nothing.
Post of the year :D
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Friar on Friar crime!
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Now this guy's idea probably doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell, but interesting nonetheless ....

http://washingtonexaminer.com/atlantic- ... NCNoOSYHFF
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm hearing rumors [they are just rumors like everything else right now] that Notre Dame might want to join the C7 for BB only.

This gets crazier and crazier every day.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What the Washington Examiner's article said, is partially what I've been saying.
Grab UConn, USF, at least and get Temple back.
Temple existed for years as a football school in the A-10.
What this would do, is add to the RPI of the conference, and give a higher
profile and make up for the losses of whoever is leaving.
I think Memphis and Tulane will go CUSA, due to geographical logic.
Where's UConn going to go? The ACC will block them, as long as BC is around.
So, this conference could remain intact for the forseeable future.
I think the A-10 should think big, instead of wimpering in the corner, reacting to what's
about to happen.
Be proactive!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:I'm hearing rumors [they are just rumors like everything else right now] that Notre Dame might want to join the C7 for BB only.

That's a good thing from an A-10 perspective. While they'll still try to grab Xavier, it may block out another Indiana-based team, Butler.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:I'm hearing rumors [they are just rumors like everything else right now] that Notre Dame might want to join the C7 for BB only.

That's a good thing from an A-10 perspective. While they'll still try to grab Xavier, it may block out another Indiana-based team, Butler.
Slava Ukraini!