2014-15 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2014-15 Schedule

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:I mentioned this on the recruiting thread about Terrence Mann. URI should use its connection to him through his mother to try to set up a H&H series in a few years with Florida State (which he committed to last week). It would give Mann a chance to play in front of his family. Might make sense for all sides that something is set up for his jr and sr years. It would be a very good home OOC opponent for Rhody and the Seminoles are not such an elite hoops program which would make it unthinkable (like fellow ACC members Duke, UNC, or Syracuse).
That would certainly be great to get a home and home with FSU. I would even take one of those 2 for 1 deals where we go there twice.
I always wondered why Billy Donovan was reluctant to bring Eric Murphy back home to RI - especially since Billy himself starred at PC.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: I always wondered why Billy Donovan was reluctant to bring Eric Murphy back home to RI - especially since Billy himself starred at PC.
I believe Billy D has said that he could never mentally/emotionally play at Providence again.

Perhaps he views it as loyalty to PC that if he won't play the Friars, he won't do URI any favors as well.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
RF1 wrote:I mentioned this on the recruiting thread about Terrence Mann. URI should use its connection to him through his mother to try to set up a H&H series in a few years with Florida State (which he committed to last week). It would give Mann a chance to play in front of his family. Might make sense for all sides that something is set up for his jr and sr years. It would be a very good home OOC opponent for Rhody and the Seminoles are not such an elite hoops program which would make it unthinkable (like fellow ACC members Duke, UNC, or Syracuse).
That would certainly be great to get a home and home with FSU. I would even take one of those 2 for 1 deals where we go there twice.
I always wondered why Billy Donovan was reluctant to bring Eric Murphy back home to RI - especially since Billy himself starred at PC.

I don't want a series with FSU if it is a 2-1. Only an even home and home leveraging the Mann connection and the fact his mom is employed at URI. URI could got even home and homes in recent years with Va Tech and Nebraska. It did so without any special circumstances like would be the case with the Mann angle. Florida State should not get anything better.
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Hypothetical: a 2-for-1 with FSU, or nothing?
Go Rhody!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Andrew wrote:Hypothetical: a 2-for-1 with FSU, or nothing?

No series then. I would try to find another Power 5 conference team that will do an even home and home. There are very few schools I would ever give 2 for 1's to. They would have to be elite basketball programs that consistently make the NCAA most every season with deep runs. FSU does not meet that criteria. Neither did Boston College in the past which we had series I did not agree with. If URI can schedule recent home and homes with the likes of Providence, Virginia Tech, and Nebraska, a similar deal with FSU should be expected.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You can't compare PC, that is a rivalry game with decades of tradition. VTech and Nebraska are more similar. But you are likely stuck with closer to the bottom of the league BCS schools if you stick to just home and home philosophy. With 2 for 1s you can creep up the ladder to the mid tier of the conferences. You are not getting a home game with the top echelon of BCS schools, save for a rare exception (when we got Pitt to come to RC). We will have to beat those teams in tournaments, neutral courts or their home floors.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What if it was structured as a home-and-home with a buy game tacked on? In my opinion, the goal is to put a quality schedule together. The whole attitude of "we are too good for a 2-for-1" seems silly to me. You can't say that you'd never do a 2-for-1 on one hand, and on the other continuously complain about the schedule.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote:You can't compare PC, that is a rivalry game with decades of tradition. VTech and Nebraska are more similar. But you are likely stuck with closer to the bottom of the league BCS schools if you stick to just home and home philosophy. With 2 for 1s you can creep up the ladder to the mid tier of the conferences. You are not getting a home game with the top echelon of BCS schools, save for a rare exception (when we got Pitt to come to RC). We will have to beat those teams in tournaments, neutral courts or their home floors.
Florida State is not a top echelon Power 5 basketball school. Furthermore, there is the connection of Terrence Mann and his mom. There was no such connection with either Va Tech or Nebraska and we got home and homes with them.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Per the A-10 board, league AD's supposedly had a conference call earlier this week and much news will be released in the next week. The league schedule may be first. There have also been some references to a better tv deal and possibly the possible naming of a site for the tournament for 2017 and 2018.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Using unique connections that URI may have with former coaches, former URI players, RI resident players, etc., etc. is a route that should always be followed. For example, isn't there a dude in the URI Foundation who came to Kingston from Kansas State and has connections with the AD there? K-State did agree home and home series with GW just recently, so there is some precedent with them.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

FSU is not a top echelon Power 5 conference program, but if you read my post that is my point…you are not getting an upper echelon BCS school to come to the RC in a home and home arrangement, at least not yet. The best you can hope for is a mid-tier BCS program, and I would put FSU in that category. I would put VaTech and Nebraska below that to be honest. FSU has much better basketball history in recent memory. And I think even mid-tier BCS schools will be tough to attract for straight home and homes, we may need to cave to a 2 for 1 or the scenario TP points out. We just aren't there yet, never mind that historically there haven't been a ton of A10 programs that have attracted consistent BCS programs into their building.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Andrew wrote:Hypothetical: a 2-for-1 with FSU, or nothing?
I take a 2-1 with any ACC Team from the middle to upper ACC.
I'd jump on Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Virginia, etc.
I would take a 2-1 with FLorida State.
FSU went 22-14 last year, 9-9 in ACC and went to the Championship Game of the NIT losing to Minnesota.
I don't think you ever get a homoe and home with FSU,
however, I do agree with RF1 that you try to leverage Terrance Mann going to FSU to get a home and home - worth a try.
But if that does not work? I take the 2-1.

We did a 2-1 with Boston College as has been mentioned.
We also basically did a 2-1 with GMU. We did a home and home plus a bye game.

We need to do whatever it takes to being good, strong teams to the Ryan Center so that our fans have games to look forward to. The home schedule has been poor for many years now - very few attractive teams coming in.
I like Nebraska coming but we need more Nebraska's - and more cowbell.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

We are never going to consistently get a lot of Power-5 league teams to ever come to Kingston. With the recent NCAA changes, it will probably get even more difficult with the further separation of the haves and have-nots. The best that we can hope for with regards to Power-5 teams are those in the low to mid ramge of that group. That is pretty much how it has always been since the Ryan Center opened. We will likely never see more than one Power-5 team at home each year and likely none some seasons. There have just been a handful of visits by teams presently in the Power-5 since the RC opened - USC, Pitt, BC (2), Northwestern (NIT), Utah (diff league then), and Va Tech are the only teams I can recall. The only other teams from a league higher rated than the A-10 that have come were lower echelon old Big East teams (PC-5, Depaul, and Seton Hall-2). The only other decent teams we have seen at home are those in the top tier of the just outside the Power-5 leagues such as Houston, Nevada, Kent State, Ohio, Toledo, Southern Miss, VCU )(pre A-10), GMU (pre A-10), Davidson (pre A-10)and SMU.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nice for Rhody to be considered a tough road game (from a St. Louis writer)-

twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

1/3 @ SLU (NBCSN)
1/7 vs Fordham
1/10 @ Duquesne
1/13 vs VCU (CBSSN)
1/17 @ UMass (NBCSN)
1/22 vs La Salle
1/25 vs St Bonnies
1/28 @ Fordham
1/31 vs GW
2/8 @ Richmond (NBCSN)
2/11 @ St Joe's
2/14 vs SLU
2/18 vs UMass (SNY)
2/21 @ George Mason
2/25 vs Davidson
2/28 @ La Salle (NBCSN)
3/3 @ Dayton (NBCSN)
3/7 vs St Joe's
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Doesn't appear to be any home game conflicts with potential Patriots playoff games. The first home weekend game is Sunday 1/25, which is the week between conference championships and the Super Bowl.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I like Tuesday January 13th with VCU
then Velentine's Day Saturday February 14th vs St Louis

gorhody also shows one OCC game with Brown on December 31 - not sure why they only show 1 - would have thought it would have been zero or more than 1 OCC showing
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Wish the VCU game was when students were there.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

At Fordham is a weekday game again.

I always enjoy going to the City for that game when it is a Saturday afternoon contest.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:Wish the VCU game was when students were there.
I know. I don't know when they get back, but hopefully before LaSalle on the 22nd.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

it's usually mlk weekend
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:it's usually mlk weekend
Yeah, just looked it up. Classes begin Jan. 21st.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UMass has now announced its 13 game OOC schedule and it is a challenging one with 6 home games, 3 games at neutral sites (Florida State, Notre Dame and BC), and 4 true away games. UMass traded the 4 MAC teams it had scheduled over the last few years for 4 games with teams from the Metro Atlantic. In their final addition to schedule, the Minuteman will welcome Jim Baron and his Canisius team to Amherst on Dec. 13. The four away games are Providence, BYU, LSU, and Harvard. This is a grinding schedule and while it may help UMass prepare for A-10 competition, the OOC W-L record may not be pretty; 8-5, 7-6 and 6-7 are real possibilities.

Of the 14 A-10 schools, only St Joseph's and URI have yet to release their complete OOC schedule. St. Joseph's is being held up due to scheduling problems encountered by the organizers of NIT Season Tip-Off and URI's is...........?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Obadiah wrote: Of the 14 A-10 schools, only St Joseph's and URI have yet to release their complete OOC schedule. St. Joseph's is being held up due to scheduling problems encountered by the organizers of NIT Season Tip-Off and URI's is...........?
They still need one more home game.
Rhody10ltu09
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody10ltu09 »

Obadiah wrote:
Of the 14 A-10 schools, only St Joseph's and URI have yet to release their complete OOC schedule. St. Joseph's is being held up due to scheduling problems encountered by the organizers of NIT Season Tip-Off and URI's is...........?

Scheduling problems for the NIT season-tip off = Divison II teams again. How does a reasonably prestigious tournament like that have such difficulty filling out the field?
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

not a destination tournament (like bahamas, orlando, hawaii, peurto rico)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:Of the 14 A-10 schools, only St Joseph's and URI have yet to release their complete OOC schedule. St. Joseph's is being held up due to scheduling problems encountered by the organizers of NIT Season Tip-Off and URI's is...........?
....because the schedule isn't finalized yet. We know exactly where they're at and what they're trying to do. Pretty sure they'll have it figured out by the time the season starts. Not sure why you guys spend so much time worrying about it.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

because we need to see it and criticize it and analysis every match up [read in heavy sarcasm]
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody10ltu09 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:

Scheduling problems for the NIT season-tip off = Divison II teams again. How does a reasonably prestigious tournament like that have such difficulty filling out the field?

The NIT Tip-off is a mess right now and may be facing the end after this season unless it has radical format changes. The normally 16 team event only has eight teams lined up. The four hosts (st. John's, Ga, Gonzaga, and Minnesota) were originally scheduled to have two home games and were then expected to advance to MSG for two more with 3 consolation sites elsewhere. It is now unknown how many games will even be played.

St. Joe's Martelli recently said that the 4 schools that aren't the hosts would get 1 home game, 1 road game, play 1 game at Madison Square Garden, and then they may play a game against a non-Division 1 to fill it out to get the 4 games they normally get with the NIT Season Tip-Off.

http://www.zagaholic.com/2014/08/the-ni ... illed.html
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
Rhody10ltu09 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:

The NIT Tip-off is a mess right now and may be facing the end after this season unless it has radical format changes. The normally 16 team event only has eight teams lined up. The four hosts (st. John's, Ga, Gonzaga, and Minnesota) were originally scheduled to have two home games and were then expected to advance to MSG for two more with 3 consolation sites elsewhere. It is now unknown how many games will even be played.

St. Joe's Martelli recently said that the 4 schools that aren't the hosts would get 1 home game, 1 road game, play 1 game at Madison Square Garden, and then they may play a game against a non-Division 1 to fill it out to get the 4 games they normally get with the NIT Season Tip-Off.

http://www.zagaholic.com/2014/08/the-ni ... illed.html
I much prefer Tournaments like the Orlando Classic where teams like URI, Santa Clara, Rider, Georgia Tech all have a fighting chance to get to the Championship game. Tournaments that already pick their teams ahead of time to go to Madison Square Garden are dull in that even if there is an unbelieveable upset it still does not get that team to advance. That strategy prevents teams like Kentucky who get upset by Gardner Webb or by Robert Mason from having to suffer from not advancing when the unbelieveable upset occurs. Not surprised to see this kind of disinterest in the PreSeason NIT - just has been and continues to be poorly run with poor logic in the tournament structure. Good riddance.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Just saw some errors. fixing...
Last edited by Ram Stampede!!! 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wait, this shows we're playing Detroit TWICE. Also, isn't the Southern Miss game an away game?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Thanks Rod, I saw and I'm fixing it.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

??? vs. UMass-Lowell
Nov. 22 vs. Nebraska
Nov. 27 vs. Kansas @ 2 p.m. (Orlando Classic)
Nov. 28 TBD (Orlando Classic)
Nov. 30 TBD (Orlando Classic)
Dec. 6 @ Southern Miss
Dec. 10 @ Providence
Dec. 13 vs. Delaware State
Dec. 20 vs Detroit
Dec 31 vs. Brown @ 4 p.m.
Jan. 3 @ St. Louis (NBC Sports Network) at 3 p.m
Jan. 7 vs. Fordham(Campus Insiders Live Stream) at 7 p.m
Jan. 10 @ Duquesne
Jan. 13 vs. VCU (CBS Sports Network)
Jan. 17 @ UMass (NBCSN) @ 2:30 p.m
Jan. 22 vs. La Salle @ 7 p.m.
Jan. 25 vs. St. Bonaventure 2 p.m.
Jan. 28 at Fordham
Jan. 31 vs. George Washington 2 p.m.
Feb. 8 at Richmond (NBCSN) 2:30 p.m.
Feb. 11 at Saint Joseph's
Feb. 14 vs. Saint Louis 2 p.m.
Feb. 18 vs. Massachusetts (SNY) 7 p.m.
Feb. 21 at George Mason
Feb. 25 vs. Davidson @ 7 p.m.
Feb. 28 at La Salle (NBCSN) 12:30 p.m.
March 3 at Dayton (CBSSN)
March 7 vs. Saint Joseph's 2 p.m.

2015 Atlantic 10 Championship will return to Brooklyn's Barclays Center from March 11-15

That should be pretty close to what we know thus far...
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I would think umass-lowell would either first game, 12/2 or 12/22. First game would be nice
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I much prefer Tournaments like the Orlando Classic where teams like URI, Santa Clara, Rider, Georgia Tech all have a fighting chance to get to the Championship game. Tournaments that already pick their teams ahead of time to go to Madison Square Garden are dull in that even if there is an unbelieveable upset it still does not get that team to advance. That strategy prevents teams like Kentucky who get upset by Gardner Webb or by Robert Mason from having to suffer from not advancing when the unbelieveable upset occurs. Not surprised to see this kind of disinterest in the PreSeason NIT - just has been and continues to be poorly run with poor logic in the tournament structure. Good riddance.
The NIT Tip Off was one of the few multi location tourneys that still did not automatically send the top four seeds to championship rounds location. The top four seeds had a better chance to get there given they played the first two games at home but they were not guaranteed the trip to MSG. Top 4 seed Rutgers last year actually lost at home and did not advance (they did however get four home games). I believe that the Kentucky loss to Gardner Webb a few years ago was actually in the NIT Tip Off and was the main reason many other tournaments changed their format automatically assigning the final four. The NIT Tip Off, to its credit, did not follow suit.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We play Umass Lowell again this year after playing them last year on November 23rd?
Should be interesting. Last year our starting line up against them was:
Powell
Reischel
Onyekaba
Munford
Biruta

Biruta could be the only repeat starter from last year's game.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Just another way to look at schedule.... I do believe UMass-Lowell will be first game. Agree with ace, definitely a bummer we play VCU when we do (no students)

OOC (12):

Home (6):
SUN 11/16/2014 - UMass-Lowell
SAT 11/22/2014 - Nebraska
TBD - Home OOC #3
SAT 12/13/2014 - Delaware State
SAT 12/20/2014 - Detroit
WED 12/31/2014 4:00PM - Brown

Away (3):
TBD - Road OOC #1
SAT - 12/6/2014 - Southern Miss
WED - 12/10/2014 - Providence

Neutral – Orlando Classic* (3):
THU 11/27/2014 2:00PM - Kansas
SAT 11/28/2014 - TBD
SUN 11/30/2014 - TBD

A-10 (18):

Home (9):
WED 1/7/2015 7:00PM - Fordham TV:CI
TUE 1/13/2015 - VCU TV:CBSSN
THU 1/22/2015 7:00PM - La Salle
SUN 1/25/2015 2:00PM - St. Bonaventure
SAT 1/31/2015 2:00PM - George Washington
SAT 2/14/2015 2:00PM - St. Louis
WED 2/18/2015 7:00PM - Massachusetts TV:SNY
WED 2/25/2015 7:00PM - Davidson
SAT 3/7/2015 2:00PM - St. Joseph's

Away (9):
SAT 1/3/2015 3:00PM - St. Louis TV:NBCSN
SAT 1/10/2015 - Duquense
SAT 1/17/2015 2:30PM - Massachusetts
WED 1/28/2015 - Fordham
SUN 2/8/2015 2:30PM - Richmond TV:NBCSN
WED 2/11/2015 - St. Joseph's
SAT 2/21/2015 - George Mason
SAT 2/28/2015 - La Salle
TUE 3/3/2015 - Dayton TV:CBSSN
Last edited by RoadyJay 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Also a bummer to play them so early in the A10 part of the schedule. My prediction is that this team might not come out of the gates like gangbusters, but should continually get better and be a really dangerous team down the stretch.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

@ Fordham on a Wednesday? Booooooo.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed, 96!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Umass Lowell - November 16th
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The game time for Lowell is still TBA, but the Patriots are at the Colts at 8:30, so shouldn't be any conflict there.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Are we still trying to schedule 1 more game??
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Here is something interesting.... I took a look at our schedule on gorhody.com, which until recently, showed the complete A10 schedule along with the Brown game on Dec 31. I noticed now that the Brown game has been removed from our schedule.

Then I went to the Brown site and looked at their schedule. Looks like their entire schedule is listed and I do not see the URI game.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RoadyJay wrote:Here is something interesting.... I took a look at our schedule on gorhody.com, which until recently, showed the complete A10 schedule along with the Brown game on Dec 31. I noticed now that the Brown game has been removed from our schedule.

Then I went to the Brown site and looked at their schedule. Looks like their entire schedule is listed and I do not see the URI game.
I would not be surprised if URI nixed the Brown game for that date in order to complete its schedule (which might mean Rhody is playing another opponent in and around 12-31). I can't imagine Brown would be completely dropped and would think an alternate date is being worked out.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RF1: tend to think you could be right
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:Here is something interesting.... I took a look at our schedule on gorhody.com, which until recently, showed the complete A10 schedule along with the Brown game on Dec 31. I noticed now that the Brown game has been removed from our schedule.

I would not be surprised if URI nixed the Brown game for that date in order to complete its schedule (which might mean Rhody is playing another opponent in and around 12-31). I can't imagine Brown would be completely dropped and would think an alternate date is being worked out.
[edit:] nevermind
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The schedule must be coming out this weekend because I think that mini-plans go on sale Monday.