Mike Aaman (URI Medical DQ, Wagner Transfer)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Re: Mike Aaman medically disqualified, URI career is over.

Unread post by URI_IEP »

TruePoint wrote:I'm usually much more libertarian about things like this, but I guess my perspective here isn't about letting someone do what they want, but about the coaches of programs that would consider taking Mike. If that decision were up to me, I'd tell him no and wish him the best. I wouldn't be able to get over the chance that he could destroy his life on my watch and that would be on my conscience forever. I wouldn't want that blood on my hands.
I agree TP. If I was a coach I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft poll, but someone might. There are 300+ DI college coaches out there with different medical teams, and one of them may not be as risk averse as you or I, and will offer him a scholarship. At that point it's Mike's choice, and no one else's.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I don't think anyone is saying that it's not his right to make his own decision to play. Most of us are saying that these coaches are at fault in giving him the opportunity. I think Danny and URI took the correct path.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RAM67 wrote:I don't think anyone is saying that it's not his right to make his own decision to play. Most of us are saying that these coaches are at fault in giving him the opportunity. I think Danny and URI took the correct path.
Yeah, I'm not sure how there can be confusion about this. There isn't anyone with the authority to stop him from playing other than the coaches at these programs. Those are the people we are talking about here. They are the ones with the responsibility not to allow Mike to put his health for the rest of his life in serious jeopardy.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I can't believe the way this thread has blown up. Three points:

1. We don't know his true medical situation. Just because URI won't clear him medically doesn't mean they're right, it just means that they're not comfortable with the risk.

2. I'm certain Mike has been to more doctors appointments since we refused to clear him and he's gone from thinking he shouldn't play basketball anymore to playing well in a summer league and looking to play at another college. Maybe he's just ignoring doctors orders, maybe he's found more lenient doctors to get the desired clearance, or maybe based on months of recovery time the same doctors are now comfortable letting him play. Nobody hear knows either of the first two points, which means nobody knows what they're talking about.

3. Finally, just because schools are having Mike visit doesn't mean they've already cleared him to play, in fact I'm willing to bet a major part of his visits will consist of a thorough medical screening. There's a solid chance Mike won't find a college that clears him to play and the last two pages or so will be much ado about nothing.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3. Finally, just because schools are having Mike visit doesn't mean they've already cleared him to play, in fact I'm willing to bet a major part of his visits will consist of a thorough medical screening. There's a solid chance Mike won't find a college that clears him to play and the last two pages or so will be much ado about nothing.
I wasn't really going to get involved in this discussion, but this is the exact point I was going to make. I think some are assuming a visit means they are comfortable taking him on, and that may not be the case. I agree that part of it is likely a medical review.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I can't believe the way this thread has blown up. Three points:

1. We don't know his true medical situation. Just because URI won't clear him medically doesn't mean they're right, it just means that they're not comfortable with the risk.

2. I'm certain Mike has been to more doctors appointments since we refused to clear him and he's gone from thinking he shouldn't play basketball anymore to playing well in a summer league and looking to play at another college. Maybe he's just ignoring doctors orders, maybe he's found more lenient doctors to get the desired clearance, or maybe based on months of recovery time the same doctors are now comfortable letting him play. Nobody hear knows either of the first two points, which means nobody knows what they're talking about.

3. Finally, just because schools are having Mike visit doesn't mean they've already cleared him to play, in fact I'm willing to bet a major part of his visits will consist of a thorough medical screening. There's a solid chance Mike won't find a college that clears him to play and the last two pages or so will be much ado about nothing.
All true,
And absolutely any school who offers mike will have thorough medical screening. Mikes own doctor or doctors will have to provide information as well.
Only item I would bet against is the chance that mike does not find a school not clearing him to play. I believe he will find one.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Some school may let him play. But seven concussions are a huge red flag. As we know now, the full effects of concussions may not surface until middle age. And this is no longer laughed off as players getting dinged up.
As a URI alum, I am happy the school made a sensible call. I wish Mike's parents would, too.
A head collision or elbow to the head could do some damage. And some summer league is not the same as 35 games in D-1 trenches.
MrRamsDen76
Michael Andersen

Unread post by MrRamsDen76 »

I'm not sure his brain knows the difference between an elbow in a summer game, practice, or a regular D-1 game. For his sake, I wish he would stay away from any competitive games.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Aaman (re)committed to Wagner.

I think I've said all I can on this subject earlier.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I've heard nothing but good things about Bashir Mason, and obviously I don't know everything that they considered in deciding to offer Mike a place in their program, but this is very disappointing to me and it is hard for me to find a ton of respect for an adult who would allow a kid to jeopardize his future in this way. Very disappointed in Mike, too. Completely foolish thing to do.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Mike Aaman (URI Medical DQ, Wagner Transfer)

Haha thank you for being so quick to catch that! I was already editing it. I'm pretty sure Martin Bashir is a person, though. Otherwise not sure where it came from. Weird slip by me.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I deleted my comment- didn't want you to feel bad, but it made me laugh!

Martin Bashir is a journalist and not, in fact, a former player of Dan Hurley and current coach of Wagner.

Mason is an incredibly good guy. I was hoping it wasn't going to end up being Wagner for Mike, but all signs were certainly pointing there.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, I assume Mike has to sit out a year? Hopefully, in a year from now, things are much clearer concerning Mike's medical situation. Although he will still be practicing with the team this year.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:So, I assume Mike has to sit out a year? Hopefully, in a year from now, things are much clearer concerning Mike's medical situation. Although he will still be practicing with the team this year.
He's petitioning to play right away and to have 3 years of eligibility left. He only played in a few games this past season and was first out because of the appendectomy.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:I deleted my comment- didn't want you to feel bad, but it made me laugh!

Martin Bashir is a journalist and not, in fact, a former player of Dan Hurley and current coach of Wagner.

Mason is an incredibly good guy. I was hoping it wasn't going to end up being Wagner for Mike, but all signs were certainly pointing there.
I appreciate you covering for me but I don't mind getting called out. I do know the Wagner coach's name, just one of those things that happens when you're typing semi-distractedly and you don't proofread until after you hit "Submit". I've also only heard good things about Mason, which is why this hard for me to understand. Seems like such a simple and obvious thing to me. I feel like understanding the seriousness of brain injuries is one of those things that you don't get it until you Get It, and once you Get It then you can't imagine thinking of it any other way. Maybe Mason isn't at the point where he Gets It yet.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Hoping Mike realizes that concussions are no joke and playing ball at the collegiate level may not be a good idea. I hope he stays healthy if he plays somewhere else.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Some say, "Life's a circle….."
I wonder if Aaman can recognize the shape…..
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm not sure it's just the playing ball that is Mike's issue, I honestly think all the cage rattling he's suffered to this point may be hampering his ability to make good choices. I hope I'm wrong or that he gets/is getting some counseling from professionals.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Some interesting quotes in these articles.
- Likely has 3 years eligibility
- Could play this year
- Says he has been medically cleared to play
- Several comments refer to his dominant performance in the summer league

Interesting that he returns to his original College selection.
Interesting that Nolan Long from Connecticut (who was recruited by URI) plays for Wagner. Long plays both Basketball and Baseball for Wagner. He is a 6'10" Pitcher.

http://shoresportsnetwork.com/former-ra ... to-wagner/
http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/go ... st_24.html
http://www.app.com/story/sports/high-sc ... /14212983/
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

he has reportedly passed the post concussion test with the Wagner doctors, he will petition to play right away this year (sat out most of last season) and to get a 5th year (medical (appendix and concussions))
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Wagner concussion screening:
Q. What is your name?
A. Mike Something or other.
Great. You pass. Go see thebasketball coach and get your uniform.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Apples and oranges but the Wes Welker situation reminded me of Aaman.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I've come to the realization that american football will in 30yrs be nothing like what we are used to today.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund