URI Basketball Fan Forum

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

URI Basketball Fan Forum

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The first Basketball Fan Forum was held last night. Who attended and what was discussed?

I know there are a good number of KeaneyBlue members who will be attending these. I will be attending next week's meeting on Tuesday evening.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Re: URI Basketball Fan Forum

Unread post by zporiri »

We spent the entire first half talking about students-mostly revolving around how to get them in the arena and how to make them loud once they're there. We (I'm a grad student) talked about how there needs to be more physical advertisements on campus because so many students don't know that the games are going on. In dining halls, dorms, union, etc. Someone also had the idea of a bus with blaring music to go around to the dorms before game time and picking students up. I suggested that in they whatever cheers they want to do for the year, they teach at rhody madness, similar to how ucla teaches their students the frisbee chant at their madness event. Another student suggested having it in the ryan center this year and going all out with production with the light show and new ribbon board. I think it could work, but it could also be really lame if only 2k out of 7k seats are filled. Another idea was using promotions for how many games you attend. Like attend 3 games, get a free calzone. Or attend all home games before the Nebrasks game, and get to enter in a VIP line to avoid a long wait. As far as students in the game, there were ideas of planting students in the 200 section to stand, forcing everyone else to. There were also complaints that the students aren't near rhody's bench, and that they shouldn't be separated at two ends of the court.

Concessions were also talked about, mostly how the food sucks. They also spent some time talking about how to get more of the donors to use the alumni lounge so it's not lame and people actually want to go in it. Donors also want more events with Dan there and chances to chat with him for a minute. I'm sure there were a couple other things that I'm missing, but that's the jist of it.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thx very much for the summary!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Lots of good ideas there.
If the donor's lounge isn't getting enough action open it up to season ticket holders.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

RE: Students

If the team is good, there is no need for physical advertisements, or loud busses. The kids will know, and will be there.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

But... until we reach this level of awareness, perhaps something has to be done.

Unfortunately, we have had almost an entire class of students come and go with their degrees without having seen a really good basketball team. These days it's going to be harder to overcome the inertia of "everything else not basketball", unlike perhaps in the Baron years, 90s, 80s, etc.
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

Yes, keep winning and the students will come. But what they talked about last night was they don't want (knock on wood) the success with Hurley to be a flash in the pan. There are many programs that have a good coach, but then lose a lot of funding and are right back to where they were before if that coach leaves for a better job. They want to model after a school like Xavier that keeps getting a little better with each coach instead of always being set backed. So they want to build foundations for when we are successful under Hurley, not just ride the wave of success. They want the same thing in terms of students, so that we build a rocking atmosphere where people still come to games even when the team is mediocre. Right now, Bryant has a better student section than us haha.

As far as the alumni lounge is concerned, if all donors who could use it did use it, the room would be packed. They still want some exclusivity towards it because right now they aren't offering much incentive for people to give more. The biggest incentive is access to post season tickets, but until we are in the post season, it is difficult to have much leverage to ask people to increase their giving. They want more people in the alumni lounge while keeping its exclusivity, and were looking for specific feedback on that.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wouldn't want those big donors to be tainted by
associating with us hoi-polloi, would we ?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

What representatives from URI were present last night?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

rodfromcranston wrote:Wouldn't want those big donors to be tainted by
associating with us hoi-polloi, would we ?
Is that what you think of those who donate to the program? Not sure what you're saying here.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It speaks for itself.
Donating money doesn't make you a better fan.
It means you have money to donate.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Not what I'm getting at and you know it. What is it you mean that those that donate to the program think season ticket holders that don't donate or other fans are hoi-polloi?
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

Adam Schemm was leading it, and I forgot who the other guys were and what their roles are, sorry.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

When you segregate fans based on dollar levels, what does that mean?
It separates the haves from the have nots. Simple.
Donors are important to every school.
Giving money to the school or program is great.
It gives them access to the program, and nice perks
as incentives. I get that and why it's done.
Over the years, at Keaney, I'd accompany high buck boosters to things,
and get asked, "Who are you?" and looked at like I came from outer space.
I don't know if things have changed, but it was pretty cliquey then.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I remember about four years ago a truck with a loud speaker and 5 to 6 students were driving around the dorms yelling to students to attend the football games. Certainly made people aware.
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The in-game promotions try to get people yelling during time outs. What the hell good is that? You need noise while they're playing. Sometimes it seems that the game is just something to do between segments of the "game presentation."
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Some very good ideas were discussed by some true die hard fans....hopefully these ideas will be put into action
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Hey. Little late responding to this. I was there last night. I discussed a lot of gripes that I think a lot of us share. I said the band needs to show up. They half-ass the fight song, and have six people show up. It was suggested we write letters to the Dean of College of Arts & Sciences since they "control" the band. Not Athletics. The problem is these band kids get like one credit for showing up to X amount of games. Still not sure why we have a full marching band for our football though.

I also brought up Concessions. Food blows. If you're coming to a game straight from work. What are your options? Dried up pretzel? Nachos with gross cheese? Subpar burger? Well, I was told the food contract is done through Center Plate. Should be called Crappy Plate. They clearly must not care about quality food... I suggested having local vendors. Gansett Wraps (old Pick Pocket guys) just something quality!

Booze!? Yeah, not happening. Thanks, Carothers. The "dry campus" policy applies to us all, I guess. Tons of red tape. I think the Athletic Dept wants this appealed as much as we do. Problem is, there is a lot they have to do. I guess the university is still terrified that students will drink underage. Ironically, I attended a networking event tonight and talked to a fellow Rhody alum. He said one of the reasons he doesn't go to games is because there is no booze.

I have been to the Alumni Lounge a few times, and I suggested it not look so stark. It reminds me of an airport lounge. They have pictures in there of the quad and zoology students holding chickens. Wtf? Not fancy. I asked about making it more "sports lounge" oriented.. Having game photos. That room def needs a paint job, too.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote:What representatives from URI were present last night?

Schemm, Waller, Trueson, and Laprey. A guy from Ryan Center/Boss was there too, but I can't remember his name sorry.
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

Hi, I was there at first forum as well and zporiri pretty much covered it. The uri guys were Adam schemm, mike laprey, the new guy for umass that's in the AD office on the fundraising side, trueson, and a guy from the Boss arena side.

Agree when we get better results students will come but for now there has to be a "day of game" word of mouth focus and there's a lot they could be doing for very little money that they aren't doing to get people there especially freshman. Zporiri had great feedback as did the two other students who were there. I hope the staff is smart enough to recruit them as student ambassadors.

The alumni room conversation was interesting, I am a donor with access and it's pretty lame in there. I was supportive of opening up access but don't think they are going to do it. It's a symptom of a bigger problem which is that when I go in I'm usually the youngest by 20 years+ unless people bring their kids. They aren't doing a good enough job refreshing and building their younger donor base at that level.

I can't remember the former umass guy's name from the AD office but I liked him a lot, he seemed to be challenging the status quo and bringing in "new ideas" which are frankly not new in the college basketball world but new to Rhody.

The Boss arena guy was too much "no, can't do that" in my opinion, not sure he understands how a focus group is supposed to be run.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodygirl2 wrote:Hi, I was there at first forum as well and zporiri pretty much covered it. The uri guys were Adam schemm, mike laprey, the new guy for umass that's in the AD office on the fundraising side, trueson, and a guy from the Boss arena side.

Agree when we get better results students will come but for now there has to be a "day of game" word of mouth focus and there's a lot they could be doing for very little money that they aren't doing to get people there especially freshman. Zporiri had great feedback as did the two other students who were there. I hope the staff is smart enough to recruit them as student ambassadors.

The alumni room conversation was interesting, I am a donor with access and it's pretty lame in there. I was supportive of opening up access but don't think they are going to do it. It's a symptom of a bigger problem which is that when I go in I'm usually the youngest by 20 years+ unless people bring their kids. They aren't doing a good enough job refreshing and building their younger donor base at that level.

I can't remember the former umass guy's name from the AD office but I liked him a lot, he seemed to be challenging the status quo and bringing in "new ideas" which are frankly not new in the college basketball world but new to Rhody.

The Boss arena guy was too much "no, can't do that" in my opinion, not sure he understands how a focus group is supposed to be run.

I totally agree. Garrett has very good ideas. I felt the same way about the RC guy as well.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Agree with you on all points T-Swift. I've mentioned this a bunch of times before, my number one gripe about the Ryan Center experience is the band. Mainly because it's an embarrassment. At least with the bad food it's a little bit less obvious because it doesn't make blaring sounds that sends shrills through our spines. Has anyone ever heard the PC band? Well it's amazing and it creates a great in-game atmosphere. Obviously the terrible Ryan Center acoustics don't help our cause either.

My belief is that the band should either be improved (dramatically) or we should get rid of it all together. I would rather have no band than a horrible sounding band that is embarrassing for visitors and new fans. I wonder what we can do to fix this? Obviously more incentive for students than 1 credit would be a start. But I guess that have to be more of a Athletics/University/Fine Arts Department collaborative effort to get this done.

It especially bothers me when there are like 8 members of the band that show up on a week night game and then the National Anthem is botched.

I hope this gets frequent attention at the Fan Forum again.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Let the students run the band......add new instruments like guitars, synthesizers and drums to the mix....and let the kids pick the songs they want to play......mix in a DJ to supplement and add to the live musicians.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

Ram1019 wrote:Agree with you on all points T-Swift. I've mentioned this a bunch of times before, my number one gripe about the Ryan Center experience is the band. Mainly because it's an embarrassment. At least with the bad food it's a little bit less obvious because it doesn't make blaring sounds that sends shrills through our spines. Has anyone ever heard the PC band? Well it's amazing and it creates a great in-game atmosphere. Obviously the terrible Ryan Center acoustics don't help our cause either.

My belief is that the band should either be improved (dramatically) or we should get rid of it all together. I would rather have no band than a horrible sounding band that is embarrassing for visitors and new fans. I wonder what we can do to fix this? Obviously more incentive for students than 1 credit would be a start. But I guess that have to be more of a Athletics/University/Fine Arts Department collaborative effort to get this done.

It especially bothers me when there are like 8 members of the band that show up on a week night game and then the National Anthem is botched.

I agree with this 100% it is beyond embarrassing , it is humiliating...Most of the band members, I would imagine , are music majors and being a member of one of the pep bands should be a requirement for a degree...being in the pep band should have attendance requirements otherwise no credit...if we cannot get this done then get rid of the band at basketball games and line up a "regional" band made up of local high school band members, outfit them and move on...often we have the high school bands during breaks and they outperform our band anyhow....
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote:Let the students run the band......add new instruments like guitars, synthesizers and drums to the mix....and let the kids pick the songs they want to play......mix in a DJ to supplement and add to the live musicians.....
If someone attending next week can bring up AGAIN the fact that we have this HUGE marching band and drum line for football games. Aren't there like 100ish or so people in the marching band? Are 85-90 of them not interested in playing in the pep band for basketball games? I am sure it's a lot easier to play an instrument sitting/standing than it is to march around in a circle while holding a trumpet/trombone.

I think that the Athletic Dept would be better off bringing in SK or Gansett's high school band-- who I am sure would play MUCH better and with much more gusto.

A guitar added into the mix would go a LONG way.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Rhodekill, I know someone who was in the pep band who was also a music major and they said the majority of the band members are not actually music majors. This was about seven years ago so I don't know if that has changed or not. I would much prefer a high school band as well. Simply more people playing instruments will help with the overall consistent sound.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yep, I can promise you the band situation will be discussed on Tuesday night when I'm there. I'm concerned about what's possible with the band because it was LAST Summer where Dan and others made an effort to improve the playlist and freshen up the band... I did not see/hear improvement last season
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

So it seems like the responses have been:
Band - Not our department
Food - Outside contract, can't control
Adult Beverages - Too much work involved

Are we sure that they can even talk about increasing campus signage on game days without the Director of the Copy Machine Department and the head of the secretarial union?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

BFC wrote:So it seems like the responses have been:

Are we sure that they can even talk about increasing campus signage on game days without the Director of the Copy Machine Department and the head of the secretarial union?
Increasing campus signage is another issue due to the fact RI State Law has very strict verbiage about paper being posted due to it being a fire hazard. Housing & Residential Life doesn't allow anything to be hung up in dorms or dining halls.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

So basically - more of the same, but the illusion that something is being done/they care.

God I just hope they win games, I've completely given up hope that the "experience" part will improve. The boards and LEDs will be sick, but I'd seriously rather have a good band and beer.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

the band is not embarrassing... the band is emBARONsing !

what I joke

I agree 100%
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

btw.. a little known fact from the land of ECR.. on emails w/ friends.. they always use emBARONsing over embarrassing... it is quite comical.....
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Add a freakin bass guitar to the band minimally. It would easily improve the sound which all agree is too tinny. Keyboard and synth would be great too.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Taylor Swift wrote:Hey. Little late responding to this. I was there last night. I discussed a lot of gripes that I think a lot of us share. I said the band needs to show up. They half-ass the fight song, and have six people show up. It was suggested we write letters to the Dean of College of Arts & Sciences since they "control" the band. Not Athletics. The problem is these band kids get like one credit for showing up to X amount of games. Still not sure why we have a full marching band for our football though.

I also brought up Concessions. Food blows. If you're coming to a game straight from work. What are your options? Dried up pretzel? Nachos with gross cheese? Subpar burger? Well, I was told the food contract is done through Center Plate. Should be called Crappy Plate. They clearly must not care about quality food... I suggested having local vendors. Gansett Wraps (old Pick Pocket guys) just something quality!

Booze!? Yeah, not happening. Thanks, Carothers. The "dry campus" policy applies to us all, I guess. Tons of red tape. I think the Athletic Dept wants this appealed as much as we do. Problem is, there is a lot they have to do. I guess the university is still terrified that students will drink underage. Ironically, I attended a networking event tonight and talked to a fellow Rhody alum. He said one of the reasons he doesn't go to games is because there is no booze.

I have been to the Alumni Lounge a few times, and I suggested it not look so stark. It reminds me of an airport lounge. They have pictures in there of the quad and zoology students holding chickens. Wtf? Not fancy. I asked about making it more "sports lounge" oriented.. Having game photos. That room def needs a paint job, too.
Why ya gotta be so mean?
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

BFC: That's how I read it too.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Anyone who won't go to games because of a lack of booze is not a fan and might have a problem. Does he not go to the movies for the same reason?
If someone could get the name and address of the right dean we could all write letters about the band.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Here's an idea I passed on to Thorr: give everyone a one-game pass to the lounge who has perfect season ticket attendance. That would provide an incentive to make sure your tickets are used for each game, and maybe liven up the lounge a bit.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ram1019 wrote:Agree with you on all points T-Swift. I've mentioned this a bunch of times before, my number one gripe about the Ryan Center experience is the band. Mainly because it's an embarrassment. At least with the bad food it's a little bit less obvious because it doesn't make blaring sounds that sends shrills through our spines. Has anyone ever heard the PC band? Well it's amazing and it creates a great in-game atmosphere. Obviously the terrible Ryan Center acoustics don't help our cause either.

Hire the SKHS band !
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

My brother was one of the students who went, I'm a recent grad so I'm familiar with the current and recent attitude about games. If you weren't near the ryan center, or on a rare occasion the hope dining hall, then you wouldnt have a clue about there being a basketball game. Ridiculous. They did send emails but theres so much junk from the university sent to students that it can become smothered.
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Iggy1979 wrote:Anyone who won't go to games because of a lack of booze is not a fan and might have a problem. Does he not go to the movies for the same reason?
If someone could get the name and address of the right dean we could all write letters about the band.
Dean of College of 
Arts & Sciences is Winifred E. Brownell. Office address: 257 Chafee Hall
, 10 Chafee Road
, Kingston, RI 02881.

Phone: 401-874-2566
E-mail is Winnie@uri.edu
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

They have brought up the idea of more drum line and electric guitar to the pep band, but the band director doesn't want them, prefers a more pep band feel. THey said the band director wasn't willing to budge much on the topic.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Point the band director to this forum that has pages upon pages about how the band sucks. If they are unwilling to fix it then they should not be allowed to run it!

For the record, I think there are many posters on here who have been to games at different colleges and seen "pep bands" with electric bass and other things to make the sound better. Guess what it makes the experience more enjoyable and with maybe a few exceptions most college basketball pep bands still have that "feel"
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Give the band to the students........
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Fire the band director!!!!!!!!!!!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Upon reading his bio, it becomes certain he would rather play a cello for high noon tea AND HAS NO IDEA what people want to listen to at a sporting event.

They should hire someone like Jack Black's character in School of Rock.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I want this for us. How is our band that atrocious? If a kid wants to still play an instrument in college, they're obv very dedicated. Do the kids in our band actually want to look cool? Do this then!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

They will say "but VCU has more money". Well I don't think George Mason does. How about Doc Nix and the Green Machine? When was the last time our crowd cheered for our band?

I say if they won't improve the band then just uninvite them from coming.

rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

With so few music majors showing up for the games one has to wonder what they think of the bands director. I would think that many of the students are or have been in bands that would love to play in front of 6000+ people. I know that most people that are really into music and have the ability to perform want to play to a crowd. Maybe the band dictator should let the students pick the instruments and the music they play with only censoring by a person who is more into the type of music that fits a basketball crowd like the ones in the previous posts. We have a President that is into sports, Maybe he should let the director know that this isn"t a fine arts performance.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I don't think the band kids have to be, or even are music majors.

How hard is it for them to do this?