THIS Year (2014-15)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Next Year

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ace wrote:Jarvis got a haircut. My excitement for next year has already been diminished.

And this doesn't have much to do with anything, but remember when there was only going to be one open scholarship (Munford) to fill for next season?
He has/had the best hair. That kid has style!
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

So assuming Terrell and Hare are both here next season, am I correct in thinking our sophomore class is technically EC, Hassan, Hare, Terrell????!!! If so, that would be a special season when they're all seniors (and before of course), not to mention it's a class full of top 100 recruits. A starting 5 consisting of EC JT Hassan Watson Hare sounds absolutely deadly to me on the defensive end
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Huh? Terrell and Garrett would be one class behind EC, Martin and Hare.
Dan is selling a three guard offense.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
gorhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by gorhody »

RIhoopz14 wrote:So assuming Terrell and Hare are both here next season, am I correct in thinking our sophomore class is technically EC, Hassan, Hare, Terrell????!!! If so, that would be a special season when they're all seniors (and before of course), not to mention it's a class full of top 100 recruits. A starting 5 consisting of EC JT Hassan Watson Hare sounds absolutely deadly to me on the defensive end
I believe Terrell will be a freshman next year, since he never played for Ok. State. He just decomitted.
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

gorhody wrote:
RIhoopz14 wrote:So assuming Terrell and Hare are both here next season, am I correct in thinking our sophomore class is technically EC, Hassan, Hare, Terrell????!!! If so, that would be a special season when they're all seniors (and before of course), not to mention it's a class full of top 100 recruits. A starting 5 consisting of EC JT Hassan Watson Hare sounds absolutely deadly to me on the defensive end
I believe Terrell will be a freshman next year, since he never played for Ok. State. He just decomitted.
Alright, that's where my mix-up was. I was thinking he just sat on the bench as a scholarship player last year for OKST. I probably thought that because it feels like we've been recruiting him forever.......
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, Terrell is just finishing up high school at Brewster Academy.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Terrell and Garrett would clearly be freshmen, and Matthews and Martin would clearly be sophomores. Hare would be the trickier issue - he's technically a junior, but he could petition for a fifth year, I'm guessing either as a redshirt after the fact or for hardship reasons. However, if he is on track to graduate on time, I'm not sure if he would want to postpone a year of career earnings given that he does have a kid to support. His case is obviously pretty unique.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SGreenwell wrote:Terrell and Garrett would clearly be freshmen, and Matthews and Martin would clearly be sophomores. Hare would be the trickier issue - he's technically a junior, but he could petition for a fifth year, I'm guessing either as a redshirt after the fact or for hardship reasons. However, if he is on track to graduate on time, I'm not sure if he would want to postpone a year of career earnings given that he does have a kid to support. His case is obviously pretty unique.
I don't think Hare would have to petition unless I'm missing something. He gets 5 years to play 4 like everyone else.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

he was on the roster and technically in school last year, should just go down as a redshirt
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

One thing that I never understood is why Biruta had to sit out a year with all the crazy Rice things going on at Rutgers. You would think that would be a good reason to grant a :"waiver" Maybe it is not too late and we will have him for two years.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

McRam wrote:One thing that I never understood is why Biruta had to sit out a year with all the crazy Rice things going on at Rutgers. You would think that would be a good reason to grant a :"waiver" Maybe it is not too late and we will have him for two years.
No, he's going to play his four in five years. He was already sitting out when that stuff became public.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hassan looking tough, can't wait to watch his sophomore season.

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:Hassan looking tough, can't wait to watch his sophomore season.

In case anybody doesn't know, that's Dominique Easley, the Patriots first round draft pick.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Terrell, Garrett, Matthews, Martin and Hare (first 2 freshman last 3 sophomores) good core of young players
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Now the excuses can stop.

This is the most talented team URI has had in 15 years. Not a lot of "could be" or "might be" guys - we have studs. Certified. Thoroughbred. Studs.

As sophomores or younger - we now have 4 guys that were top 125 in their class, and a coach who can develop players.

2 of these guys were top 100 - and if the guy that was ranked in the 70s and 80s was ROY under Hurley...I can't wait to see what the dude who was in the 50s and 60s does.

Also - what's our lineup? By conference play I expect:

1 - Garrett
2-3 - Terrell, Matthews
4-5 - Martin, Biruta

Guards off the bench - Buchanan, Minnis
Forwards off the bench - Hare, Watson

Limited Time - Onyekaba

Little to no time - Reischel, Butler, Powell

Can't expect to see us play more than 9 or 10 guys
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Blue Man wrote:Now the excuses can stop.

This is the most talented team URI has had in 15 years. Not a lot of "could be" or "might be" guys - we have studs. Certified. Thoroughbred. Studs.

As sophomores or younger - we now have 4 guys that were top 125 in their class, and a coach who can develop players.

2 of these guys were top 100 - and if the guy that was ranked in the 70s and 80s was ROY under Hurley...I can't wait to see what the dude who was in the 50s and 60s does.

1 - Garrett
2-3 - Terrell, Matthews
4-5 - Martin, Biruta

Limited Time - Onyekaba

Agree... Except for Reischel :) I expect he will get some solid minutes. I feel a bet should be wagered here Mr. KeaneyBlueBalls
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:Now the excuses can stop.

1 - Garrett
2-3 - Terrell, Matthews
4-5 - Martin, Biruta

Limited Time - Onyekaba

Just posted this in Jared's thread, but probably belongs here. I'll preface by saying I think seven guys will get "starters" minutes. But I think by conference play you will have:

Garrett
EC
Terrell
Martin
Hare
(This is out most athletic lineup and they can play uptempo, plus they will be together for three years so I'd like to get that started ASAP)

Gil
TJ
(First two guys off the bench will basically be starters in terms of minutes, will bring veteran leadership and presence while in the game but probably necessitate a more deliberate style of play; may play more than the starters in any given game based on matchups)

Watson
Iffy
(Beef off the bench should eliminate the nightmare that happened too frequently last year where the foul trouble in the front court took us out of games in the second half)

Reischel
Biggie
(Look like deep reserves, but potential for bounce-back seasons where they live up to expectations we had for them last year - in which case they'd play themselves up this list a little bit)

Powell
Butler
(Not sure how these guys will get on the floor barring a disaster or a blowout, but I guess Butler remains a wild card in terms of expectations)
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TP,

First - how much fun is THIS!? Look at how damn deep we are!

Also, from Zags and Terrell:

"Terrell will play in a three-guard set with incoming guard Jarvis Garrett and sophomore E.C. Matthews.

“They’ll play three guards, so all three of us will be playing with the ball in our hands and will be able to do multiple things,” Terrell said."

So unless we are getting absolutely manhandled down low and are in deep foul trouble, I'd expect to see closer to what you're saying.

I'm tempering my expectations on Hare simply because he was still really really raw and has been sitting on the shelf for a year. I figure he'll get big minutes eventually, but I'd think a minor miracle for him to beat out Watson and Biruta to get on the court.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Watch out Spartans and Jayhawks (might be a slight exaggeration, but who would have thunk about actually winning some key games in Florida)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:TP,

First - how much fun is THIS!? Look at how damn deep we are!
It is the best!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Also, there's this:

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote:Also, there's this:

He might be talking about Ingram if Powell, as Rod says, is technically a walk-on.
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Right. I think that is the open question right now.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Wow who would've expected us to be arguing this heatedly over starting lineups in May?! I love it.

I just don't see how Dan will be able to not start both Gil and Hassan. The problem is that Rhody struggled big time with interior defense and rebounding with those two on the floor. The big question is whether Coach wants to develop Hassan to be a 3 or if he's content with him playing just the four. Hassan is the X factor and what Coach H decides will alter the lineups drastically. For example, with Hass at the 3, I see these rotations:

EC (Garrett)
Terrell
Martin (Buchannan)
Biruta
Hare (Watson sub)

There's just so many scenarios, but my gut says the starting lineup will be:

EC
Terrell
Buchannan
Martin
Biruta

Which is a big improvement from last year. We have Soph EC and Martin (you see biggest improvement fresh-soph years), senior Biruta and Buchannan, and our beast of a combo guard in Terrell

I'll be coming up for a lot more games next year.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

i expect that to be the line up to begin the season but like last year I see it changing as the season goes on
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Minnis will be in the mix at pg.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

When the first balls are rolled out at practice that first day, everyone is in the mix…..
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Keaney.Blue wrote:Wow who would've expected us to be arguing this heatedly over starting lineups in May?! I love it.

I just don't see how Dan will be able to not start both Gil and Hassan. The problem is that Rhody struggled big time with interior defense and rebounding with those two on the floor. The big question is whether Coach wants to develop Hassan to be a 3 or if he's content with him playing just the four. Hassan is the X factor and what Coach H decides will alter the lineups drastically. For example, with Hass at the 3, I see these rotations:

EC (Garrett)
Terrell
Martin (Buchannan)
Biruta
Hare (Watson sub)

There's just so many scenarios, but my gut says the starting lineup will be:

EC
Terrell
Buchannan
Martin
Biruta

Which is a big improvement from last year. We have Soph EC and Martin (you see biggest improvement fresh-soph years), senior Biruta and Buchannan, and our beast of a combo guard in Terrell

I'll be coming up for a lot more games next year.
Gil will foul out in 20 so he won't take up that much time.

But do you think Hass moves to 3? I think the key will be Watson or Hare playing inside D and keeping Hassy's shot blocking ability around the post.

Plus I see everywhere that Hurley will be playing 3 guard lineups.

You know more about the low post than I do, I just think we'd want Hass to stay where he was since he was such a beast.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Biruta averaged more than 26 min a game even with his foul trouble last year and I think he'll prosper in that dept. with a deeper team. I don't see him fouling out after 20.
Slava Ukraini!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

It's going to be interesting to hear Steve using all these initials on this team.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

As far as the NCAAs, this talented, young team will only get better and better as the season progresses. They might finish in 5th or 6th place in the division, but by A10 tourney time, this should be a very strong group. I don't think it's out of the question that they could win the A10 tourney and get the automatic bid. Yes, it will be tough to beat some of these teams, especially VCU. But to beat VCU, you need guards. We have 'em now.
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Billyboy78 wrote:As far as the NCAAs, this talented, young team will only get better and better as the season progresses. They might finish in 5th or 6th place in the division, but by A10 tourney time, this should be a very strong group. I don't think it's out of the question that they could win the A10 tourney and get the automatic bid. Yes, it will be tough to beat some of these teams, especially VCU. But to beat VCU, you need guards. We have 'em now.
This is my thinking as well. It will take a month or two for everyone to get comfortable playing with each other but by the time A10 play starts, watch out. A deep A10 tourney run is not out of the question and if everyone stays healthy and plays to their potential they could definitely steal an automatic bid.

Can't say enough how awesome it is to be talking about URI and tourney bids again!
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Whats up with Powell? We are allowing him to retain his athletic scholarship this year?

I don't get it. Would much rather bring in a legit SF like Ingrahm.
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

EGram wrote:Whats up with Powell? We are allowing him to retain his athletic scholarship this year?

I don't get it. Would much rather bring in a legit SF like Ingrahm.

APR impact if he is cut loose...
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

I looked at future bets for college ball, and Rhody isn't one of the 88 teams they have odds for to win next years tournament. PC is in there at +15000 ($1 to win $150). What's weird is that last year we were one of the teams they posted odds for, yet we have a much better chance this year. I cant wait till they release conference title odds, i bet Rhody will be undervalued to some of the recent tourney teams like Dayton VCU St louis etc.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Love when our ex-players still follow the team closely...

Delroy James ‏@Del_James21 · 23h
#Rhody shaping up for special things
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

bressler3south wrote:When the first balls are rolled out at practice that first day, everyone is in the mix…..
Spot on, bressler. Competition for every single spot. I think you'd have to pencil in EC, Hassan, and Gilvydas for starting roles, but other than that it is wide open, including roles off the bench. As it looks now, this roster certainly rivals any one that we've had at URI since 98 in terms of raw talent, even though some of it is quite young. Such high hopes for this year, can't wait to see the RC packed for the first open practice!
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

So what do people expect from Hare next year? My pops told me he heard he was the top player in Italy last year, really expected a break out year from him.

I feel Watson and Garret are just as important as Terrell. Garret maybe more so because a PG who can shoot and distribute would be huge on this team. Watson seems like a bruising interior PF who is a bit undersized but has good size/athleticism and can score inside and rebound. Another type of player we could badly use with Gil, Hare and Hassan all lacking size to bang inside.

In my bank robbing dreams Garret will be like Bittee in his last two years, and Watson the next Seawright. Terrell a superior, and bigger version of Preston Murphy.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We haven't had a PG that can "see the floor" well since Tyson.

That skill is hard to come by. From what I've seen JG can do that.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Watson and Seawright are not similar players.
Seawright was more finess, with some offensive moves.
Watson is pure power, and kind of crude on offense.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Watson and Seawright are not similar players.
Seawright was more finess, with some offensive moves.
Watson is pure power, and kind of crude on offense.
We have some scorers now. I want our big guys like Watson and Hare to defend and rebound.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Shared by DiSano on twitter. A UMASS perspective on Rhody basketball and their rivalry.

No really, it's worth the read.

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... urdle.html
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Read the dumb comment by the first guy.
Kellogg is the new CFL of the A-10. Lots of talent,
and a fire drill on the floor.
Without Chazz, they'll be falling into the middle of the conference.
We almost beat them three times last year, without a legitimate
point guard.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rule #1 of the internet: never read the comments!!!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Read the dumb comment by the first guy.
Kellogg is the new CFL of the A-10. Lots of talent,
and a fire drill on the floor.
Without Chazz, they'll be falling into the middle of the conference.
We almost beat them three times last year, without a legitimate
point guard.

UMass fans have an over-inflated opinion of their program. They basically had success under one coach (Calipari) and were forced to vacate their greatest accomplishment (Final-4 that officially never occurred). Their next NCAA Tournament win will be their team's FIRST without John Calipari as head coach.
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

RF1 wrote:UMass fans have an over-inflated opinion of their program.
Almost EVERYONE has over-inflated opinions of their programs. That's why we're called fans. "We're better than you guys, because we're us" is basically what every argument between rivals boils down to.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

When does the schedule usually become finalized? I feel like we're still a couple months from that, correct?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

sf2010 wrote:When does the schedule usually become finalized? I feel like we're still a couple months from that, correct?
The final schedule is usually not released until late August. There is a thread on the known schedule to date. Follow the link:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3235
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

dont see the Garrett and Watson comparisons to Bittee and Seawright. almost complete opposites...Jarvis will hopefully be a quick, pest of a PG, who can knock down the 3 and run the team. Parfait was a converted 2G who brought size and good decision making, but was never a big penetrator or play maker type that drew a lot of defensive attention. Watson is a bruiser, with big time athleticism but light on finesse/touch around the hoop...Kahiem was a finesse 4 with an arsenal of fakes and foot skills around the rim to get his shot off despite low athleticism.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wish I could comment Watson, still have not seen him play. But, Rothstein likes him....

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein · 3h
Underrated piece in URI's front court next year is JUCO transfer Earl Watson. Originally committed to Wichita State. Athletic and strong!