'14 MA SG Jared Terrell (URI Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Re: '14 MA SG Jared Terrell (URI Commit)

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Booooom!!!!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I was reminded by going back to page 1 that this was his final 10: URI, UConn, Cinn, Fla, Miami, PC, St. John's, Xavier, UCLA, Ok. St.
The last time URI won a recruiting battle like that? Never.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote:I was reminded by going back to page 1 that this was his final 10: URI, UConn, Cinn, Fla, Miami, PC, St. John's, Xavier, UCLA, Ok. St.
The last time URI won a recruiting battle like that? Never.
When you put it that way. Damn. Well done Dan.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Who was after Sly ?
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We are so close to experiencing what the Ryan Center was built for.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Who was after Sly ?
PC, for one. I don't know if UConn recruited him or not. Rod has a better memory for this stuff.
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 MA SG Jared Terrell (Offer)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:
Can we not tiptoe around this? He's going to BC because of Preston Murphy.
...and I don't understand why people can't see that. Or maybe they just don't want to believe it.
Guys, GUYS- I can't confirm, but I'm hearing that the above might not be true. I'll update when I know for sure.
And I did gladly admit that I was wrong and offered an apology.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

But I purposefully left off names because I wasn't trying to make anyone look bad or anything. You outed yourself :-)
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Re: The wins discussion, at least when I looked at a four-year sample in 2009, 24 wins seemed to be the magic number for A-10 level competition. Meaning, if you had 24 wins on Selection Sunday, you were normally in. 22 and 23 wins normally put you on the bubble, and at 21 wins you were normally a 50/50 shot, and things like schedule strength were a big factor. It's on my list of things I want to look at again this off-season, if/when I get time to do so: http://sgreenwellsports.blogspot.com/20 ... -bids.html
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

He Who Shall Not Be Named always talked about The Process. DH HAS a process....we are seeing a plan in action. Wouldn't it be great to see a Smart/VCU relationship blossom here between DH/URI!?!?!?
rhodyras
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhodyras »

First day I didn't continuously look at board while at work... Great surprise to start weekend!

GO RHODY!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

74, Sly gave verbals to Syracuse,. UConn, and PC. Imagine that?
Everyone was after Sly.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Been posting under a different name but I figured it was time for a change. What better time than now? This is PHENOMENAL news. I was at the providence place mall when I read the news and couldn't help but let our a loud "YES" for any PC fans that may have been within hearing distance.

What a roller coaster ride this has been!! Very excited for the future

I realize I'm not the first "celebrity" to grace these boards. Big shout out to Taylor Swift!!! We've met and had a few conversations at PJ's pub. I know there's some excited regulars down there right about now along with every other fan of URI. Cannot wait for November!
Miramfan
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Miramfan »

rhodyras wrote:First day I didn't continuously look at board while at work... Great surprise to start weekend!

GO RHODY!!!
Me too. I can see us beating PC now and ramming the door down to the dance. Oh and we will make a lot of noise at the Old Spice guaranteed.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I can't wait for Orlando now, and I was excited about Orlando even before the Hare and Terrell announcements.
Wow,
We will definitely be able to play with Kansas, Michigan State, Marquette and Tennessee.
Georgia Tech will have tough sledding now that their best player, Sophomore Robert Carter, announced this week his intention to transfer.
Rider, Santa Clara also in the Tourney.
We should be able to earn a descent seed in the first round of games with this news. Maybe we play Tennessee in the first round.
I can see a first round pairing of of:
Kansas - Rider
Marquette - Georgia Tech
Michigan State - Santa Clara
Tennessee - URI

This is going to be great.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:74, Sly gave verbals to Syracuse,. UConn, and PC. Imagine that?
Everyone was after Sly.
I don't recall Syracuse recruiting him. UConn had a good player, Corny Thompson, at the time, so I wasn't sure how interested they would be in Sly. Thanks for the memories.
Slava Ukraini!
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

great news.. if all goes according to plan should be a fun year.. Talent level should be increased and depth definitely increased.. Looking forward to a little pressure defense and fast break offense..... let the games begin.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:74, Sly gave verbals to Syracuse,. UConn, and PC. Imagine that?
Everyone was after Sly.
I don't recall Syracuse recruiting him. UConn had a good player, Corny Thompson, at the time, so I wasn't sure how interested they would be in Sly. Thanks for the memories.
Corny Thompson was a very good player. Sly was a great player. And yes, I'm biased, but that's a fact.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't like this signing......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Rhody74 wrote:
Everyone was after Sly.
Corny Thompson came AFTER Sly Williams……..
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bressler3south wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
Everyone was after Sly.
Corny Thompson came AFTER Sly Williams……..
You're right .... Sly played 76-79 and Corny played 78-82. 78 always sticks in my mind with Sly because of the NCAA tournament team. My boss at the time was a big UConn fan and always was bragging about Corny.
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thompson couldn't hold Sly's jock. He was slow and overweight.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Don't know how to imbed this, but here's how I'm feeling!

twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

did i just see the announcement on the bottom line on espn?
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ramulous wrote:I don't like this signing......
You're a funny guy.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

twisted3829 wrote:did i just see the announcement on the bottom line on espn?
Yes, you did.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ace wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:did i just see the announcement on the bottom line on espn?
Yes, you did.
And so did I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Just got in front of my computer---spectacular news!!! I admit I felt less confident as each day went by but ......... Including Watson and Hare, who had to be recruited back to the team, with Garrett and Terrell this could be the best recruiting class ever!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This is what I've been trying to say. Chris probably says it better. Signing Terrell isn't just about signing this one player (as good as that is on it's own), but what it could mean for the future of the program.

Chris DiSano ‏@CDiSano44 · 23m
Jared Terrell commit for URI transcends on court impact. Aids recruiting momentum (class of 2015 efforts), buzz, brand. Ripple effect value.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I am absolutely not trying to start anything, but, with this wording, this is different from a letter of intent. It doesn't mean anything, I was just curious about the wording.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Best recruiting class had Silk Owens and Tommy Garrick in it, or Stan Wright, Jiggy Williamson and Randy Wilds.
Also, Iggy, check out who recruited Tavoris Bell. Kentucky, UCLA, and a ton
of other schools.
This is all great, but let's not lose perspective.
DiSano is right. This could lead us into Experessions 2015 and 2016 class.
Right now, the biggest need is to replace Gil, and there's some right in New England
prep schools who fit the bill.

Ace, that is odd. I heard a reference to "paperwork" last week, and I figured the person
didn't get his terms right. Maybe because Terrell already signed an LOI with OSU?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ace wrote:

I am absolutely not trying to start anything, but, with this wording, this is different from a letter of intent. It doesn't mean anything, I was just curious about the wording.
Thinking the same thing, but really afraid to even say something, hopefully we will see a photo of Dan's office door tommorow.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The only difference between LOI and scholarship papers is protection for the player, like if Dan suddenly lost his mind and went to go coach the Knicks (he's not), a player would not have to ask for an official release.

And for the record, this does not overly concern me.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, well, great news! It figures, worked late tonight and had no idea until a few minutes ago.

Can't wait until November!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody74 wrote:
Everyone was after Sly.
Saw Sly play Syracuse in the Manley Fieldhouse. Was allowed to leave alive because URI lost
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Cannot sign more than one NLI in the same signing year.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, good work. Correct.

No worries.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It's fun to read these articles I purposefully ignored the first time I saw them

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... ship-recap

Tournament MVP Jared Terrell, who has signed with Oklahoma State, only scored seven points in the final but was instrumental in setting the tone in both the quarterfinals and semifinals with 20 and 19 points, respectively. Terrell utilized his trademark power to attack the rim, mixing in jumpers when he had to, while also providing energy and playmaking on the defensive end of the floor.
Last edited by ace 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Ramulous wrote:I don't like this signing......
I don't like this signing either.... I LOVE IT!!!!!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So we should finally get official, on the record comments about Terrell from Hurley tomorrow. Those have been a long time coming.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This puts us in the conversation for an NCAA berth this coming season...doesn't guarantee it of course, there's a lot of sorting out to do...we're still a young team....

Should be REALLY interesting, once the prediction contest comes out again!

Guess I'll be going to Alpine again this fall.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Can't wait for Madness!
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I couldn't be more excited about the future of our program. GO RHODY!!!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

In hindsight Garrick and Owens were a great recruiting class but to the best of my recollection our new head coach Malone had recruited Silk to be a backup at Syracuse and took him along to URI instead and Tom Garrick gave serious consideration to attending Bryant. I was psyched when Garrick decided to attend URI having seen his athleticism up close in high school.

Terrell seems to have similar athleticism to Garrick and a world of confidence from competing against top competition.

I know that Dan Hurley is a good college basketball coach. Is he an elite one? It should be a fun journey finding out!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Talk about Rhody upgrading in a hurry. Good stuff. Terrell, Garett, Watson….and Hare possibly back as well = "mother of god". I think this scene basically sums up this year's season and off season…went from happiness(last summer) to "what's going on?"(Hare gone) to a bunch of paranoia, nervousness, and then taken on a wild ride. "You boys like Mexico? WOOOOOOOO!"
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Feel excited for the program for the first time since I was a kid in the 90s! A great contrast from when I was a student back in 04-05, the apathy was just crushing.

I just hope Dan can continue the momentum into the 2015 class. Hopefully we are not waiting until late spring next year to get recruits.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Ah, the good old days. Here are a few facts:
1. The Governor of Ct. was brought in to help recruit Thompson. (I wonder if the Missing Link just did that for us).
2. Sly's worst game was against Corny in the ECAC Championsip game at the CC.(I still have the "Ram Fever-Catch It T shirt).
3. Sly verballed to everyone. Syracuse and Ct. both thought they had him, along with some other school whose name I can't remember.
4. Malone signed Silk (I think) the day after he was hired.
5. Tommy was considering playing football (tight end) until Malone talked him into BB.

Maybe one day we'll have great memories of this current team.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It's great to wake up and already know Jared is a Rhode Island Ram!

Goooooooood Morrrrrrrnnnninnnggg!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

McNamara, what a tool. Now Terrell is 6' 2" ( not listed at that height on any scouting service) and on some nights he'd be "overshadowed and be only a minor factor) and of course "recruiting rankings can be taken with a grain of salt." Lol go away Kevy.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Where does Kevin say that? Post the article please!