Want To Get Angry At The Barons?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Want To Get Angry At The Barons?

Unread post by Blue Man »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... s-with-dad

this quote stuck out to me: "I've been waiting for this, and to do it with my dad has been unbelievable," Billy said. "Especially after what he went through."

"If we make the NCAA tournament," he added, "no one in the world would be happier."

Except for maybe his dad.

Yeah all he went through. All he went through. Not what we went through. Or what he left us with. Or that he was the meteorologist of college coaches; didn't get shit right, but got paid handsomely.

I am putting it out there - I see no other option but to straight up end my life if they make the NCAA tournament. Not because I care that they make it, per se, but because of all the morons that would come out of the woodwork and try to compare that buffoon and Dan Hurley.

The only way those two should be in the same sentence is if the words "is not in the same coaching, intelligence, or basketball stratosphere as" are in-between them.

Billy Baron was recruited as an ACC level talent. How are you only averaging 17.7 in that league!? You should be dropping 25 on an off night. GET OVER YOURSELF BRO. You couldn't hack it at real schools, you need to be coddled, you need people to tell you you're God's gift to basketball. Big shocker dude, you're not. Your dad wasn't. Your brother however, was one of the best pure shooters to grace the hardwood at any school in the NCAA, you're not Jimmy.

Just shut up and play in your sold-out high school gym. Then, remember that your father burned, razed, and poured salt over the ground of a once proud basketball program. So shove it with the "all he's been through" crap. He's a multi-millionaire because of us. And he gave us nothing in return.

I look forward to the responses.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Want To Get Angry At The Barons?

Unread post by TruePoint »

I wouldn't be so bent out of shape about it. Their perspective is obviously going to be different than ours. Jim Baron was not a good fit here, but he didn't intentionally submarine us. Obviously they want to do well, and I'm sure part of that is wanting to prove a point. I'm sure I would feel the same way if someone fired me. But nobody here is going suddenly yearn for the Jim Baron days should he win a lousy conference and sneak into the tournament as a 15 seed. I wish them the best. No matter what Jim Baron does at Canisius, I'll be glad he's there and Dan Hurley is here.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Amen, TP. I'm interested in how Rams of the past are performing to a point, but I'm not clicking box scores daily and I sure as hell don't get Google alerts for Jim Baron. Baron wants to make the NCAAs, fine - good for him. Every other D1 coach feels the same way - his comments aren't that infuriating IMO. In the grand scheme of things, it affects URI very very little, if at all. I'm focused on our school and our team, and I'm sure most Rhody fans feel the game way.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jim Baron was a good fit in 2001 when he first came here. 11 years and zero NCAA bids later, he was no longer a good fit at URI. He had run his course in Kingston. Change was in order and it was probably best for both parties. If the Barons make the NCAA Tournament, good for them. It will mean they had a great run in the MAAC Tournament as that is probably their only feasible route there.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I think Billy is just happy to be winning. That's understandable.
I think they play Syracuse soon. He took over a decent team. Next year he'll have to look towards "his" players.
I don't care if he goes to the Final Four. I'm just glad he's not here.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hey Blue Man, did Billy steal your girl, cheat off you in class, or was just so much more well known around campus than you when he was here? Chill out dude.
Go Rhody
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Jay, the vitriol is a little off base here. I know Bill and his family pretty well - and I know JB getting fired took a toll on him and his family. Let's put basketball aside for a second and consider that his Father lost the job he loved, and I'm sure Billy partly (and unjustifiably) blamed himself.

Simply put, it sounds like Billy was trying to say he's happy his Dad can find success and peace elsewhere after being rejected by the program and the state they call home. It's really time for us to move on from name calling the Barons and be happy that we have a bright future with the Hurleys.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I don't really see the outrage in that article. I'd root for Billy to get in the tourney. Can't really blame him for transferring. And now we have Dan Hurley so I don't really care even if Jim Baron wins a game in the tourney.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

RF1 wrote:Jim Baron was a good fit in 2001 when he first came here. 11 years and zero NCAA bids later, he was no longer a good fit at URI. He had run his course in Kingston. Change was in order and it was probably best for both parties. If the Barons make the NCAA Tournament, good for them. It will mean they had a great run in the MAAC Tournament as that is probably their only feasible route there.
This is a good take. JB's big problem was that he left three bids on the table. Three times he had us in great position to go to the dance but then couldn't get it done when the chips were down. On top of that recruiting started to slide. He never was able to fill the void left by the Cothran-Ulmer class. When Del was a senior they won 20 with mirrors mostly because he carried the team on his back. These two classes were not replaced. You can't give up two recruiting classes.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Jks1985
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Jks1985 »

Step off the ledge blue man.

No need to end your life over a basketball player/coach who are unaware of your existence on this earth.

That is stalker talk.

Stop being a weirdo.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Blue Man isn't a stalker and he isn't a weirdo.
He just can't stand the Barons.
Personally, I hope they don't win another game.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

I mean...he's a little weird.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They may have a shot to get in the dance as their team seems decent and the conf isnt good. That being said CFLs teams usually start off well then fade so I wouldnt make my big dance reservations yet
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

EasyEdBrown wrote:I mean...he's a little weird.
So true.

With a day to digest and re-read...yeah that was a tad much. And I 100% agree that we are better off now for the future, and am ecstatic that Baron is there and Hurley is here. We'll certainly be better off in the long run. I didn't expect us to win a ton this year, but it doesn't make losing any easier.

For whatever reason, that article to me just smacks of smugness. Just the typical Baron "look at our record, 20 cupcake wins, and worship me." It just sounds like they all feel like they've been wronged, and they're getting to win games...while we were the ones who were actually victims, and we're losing.

And I know it won't be that way for very long, but like Hurley said, losing is death.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Q. What's Italian Alzheimer's?

A. You forget everything but the grudges.

Let's lay off the Barons and wish them well. Or would you rather be Canisius than URI?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man, hopefully Billy sends you a signed MAAC champions T-shirt if they win the conference tourney. Also, you might be obsessed with the Baron's more than everybody on this board combined. Get a life bro.
Last edited by Rhody15 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

This thread is pretty sad. Live and let live, bro. URI is in a much, much better situation now and it seems like the Baron's are, too.