Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hurley is a much easier sell than Baron and he has been doing it longer so should be better at it are my twin theories.

I would strongly disagree with the suggestion that Preston wasn't a very good recruiter turning onto a great one. That's why he was sought after by other schools and paid a big sum for an assistant. My only point has been that other guys can recruit, too. We will still get players, we will just have to go about it in a different way than we were. If you guys don't think we can recruit without Preston you should've been against hiring Hurley. Anyone could have kept Preston on as an assistant. I think that Hurley and his staff will be fine, though.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Just win some games next year and recruiting will be easier. Can't thank PM enough for his work on getting the building blocks here (EC, Hass and JG). His vision of what the program used to be certainly did not hurt recruiting these guys. Now if they go out and win others will be able to recruit off that more recent success which is MUCH easier.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

DiSano has raised the issue of getting an experienced assistant who can help with X and O's. If you could only have one would you want that or a young, energetic recruiter?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Need a recruiter more.
Without talent, Xs and Os matter little, without
good players to execute.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Jay Murphy might be DBO at BC. Impressive staff
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Iggy1979 wrote:Jay Murphy might be DBO at BC. Impressive staff
Murphy^2
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

First and foremost, I want an assistant to be a recruiter. Get the talent here and let Dan take it from there.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RoadyJay wrote:
Murphy^2
Youngest Murphy would end up at BC
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:
Murphy^2
Youngest Murphy would end up at BC
First recruit I thought of when Jim Christian got the job at BC, then thought of him again when Preston got the job was Thomas Murphy. Now with dad on staff you can lock this one up. Great move by Christian to add Jay Murphy to his staff ---- among his several solid moves already in a very short time.
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

IMO, Preston has moved forward in salary and competition (ACC vs A10), but has more than likely delayed his path to a head coaching job. I have no doubt he will be a great addition to the BC staff, but I feel he may be overshadowed by Spinelli's recruiting, he's a bulldog. Again, I'm not saying that PM can't hang, but Spinelli has recruited successfully against the big programs and may get most of the spotlight in the potentially successful rebuilding of BC. It may take a huge turnaround there along with Spinelli getting a HC position before PM gets any real consideration by any programs in the near future. He's young, so he has time, but he had more of a chance to be the main recruiting guy here, thus maybe getting HC offers from a smaller program. My other thought is I'm not convinced that Jim Christian is the guy that takes BC to ACC's elite which is another risk Preston takes by going there. If they don't get into the to mix of ACC's top half soon and multiple NCAA bids, he may be looking for another job in 5 or so year as an assistant rather than a HC job, which I feel could have been the case if he stayed. Sometimes the short term money windfall hurts someone's long term career path. Only time will tell. With that said, I'm a huge Preston Murphy fan and I'm sad to see him go, but it hope I'm off on this and he gets the future he so deserves.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Just saw that BC offered a 2015 PG and 2017 SG from Saginaw Arthur Hill in MI. Need to get someone in here fast that can freaking recruit. Looks like PM, not surprisingly, is still humping it.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

SO now we have Uconn, BC, and PC to compete with. I wish BC kept the Cornell wizard.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

This upcoming weekend is a live period. Would be good to have someone in place, although if Murray, Carr and Coach Hurley are out, that would cover our 3 guys on the road.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

It brings up an interesting ethical question. If Preston in now recruiting players that he was recruiting for URi and made contact and relationships on Uri's dime, is it ethical to recruit against the school that paid you for getting the info etc.

Obviously, this is not a legal question, simply an ethical one.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

There are few ethics in college basketball recruiting.
We'll probably be looking for someone who has similar
connections to players .
Dan took Aaman with him. Same difference.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McRam wrote:It brings up an interesting ethical question. If Preston in now recruiting players that he was recruiting for URi and made contact and relationships on Uri's dime, is it ethical to recruit against the school that paid you for getting the info etc.

It happens that way all the time. Schools don't really recruit. Coaches do.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Did anyone think Preston wouldn't hit the ground running at BC?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote:It brings up an interesting ethical question. If Preston in now recruiting players that he was recruiting for URi and made contact and relationships on Uri's dime, is it ethical to recruit against the school that paid you for getting the info etc.

Yes, it is absolutely ethical.
First name I thought of when Preston was departing was Eric Davis, same HS as Jordan Hare - best player we were involved with - would have been a reach but there is no reaching for Mr Davis now by URI.
But remember, we are saving $100k per year!!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billy Hahn took big kid with him to Ohip
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I thought the best player we're linked to is Terrance Mann.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:

First name I thought of when Preston was departing was Eric Davis, same HS as Jordan Hare - best player we were involved with - would have been a reach but there is no reaching for Mr Davis now by URI.
Would you pay 100k out of your pocket to have the same "chance" at Davis that we had before Preston left? If you would have you should have call someone in Athletics, although it sounds like it may not have made a difference.

I don't know what our chances were, but it was far from a sure thing. We'll see where he ends up, I guess. We'll also have to see what type of players we can get access to with the help if whoever is hired to replace Preston. It probably won't be in Saginaw, MI, but it's a big country. Plenty of places to recruit.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:I thought the best player we're linked to is Terrance Mann.
Best New England kid.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I don't care is who we had on staff, Preston included. We have or had ZERO chance
at this kid. Look at the schools chasing Davis and tell me we did.

Cincinnati Medium None
Iowa Medium Offered None
Iowa St. Medium Offered None
Kansas Medium None
Kentucky Medium None
Michigan Medium None
Michigan St. Medium Offered None
Minnesota Medium Offered None
Missouri Medium None
N. Carolina Medium None
N.C. State Medium Offered None Rob Moxley
Ohio St. Medium Offered None
Oklahoma St. Medium None
Oregon Medium None
Providence Medium Offered None
Stanford Medium None
Syracuse Medium None
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Losing a chief recruiter is a big loss for any program, particularly a mid-major program looking to move up. Recruiting at this level is about building relationships with players and coaches. This doesn't happen overnight. Can we get an assistant with these relationships even if it is not in Michigan? If you see Carr and Murray moving up and a youngster moving in, it is not a good thing for URI in the short term. Hurley needs to be his own chief recruiter if the instability among assistants continues.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:

Would you pay 100k out of your pocket to have the same "chance" at Davis that we had before Preston left? If you would have you should have call someone in Athletics, although it sounds like it may not have made a difference.

I don't know what our chances were, but it was far from a sure thing. We'll see where he ends up, I guess. We'll also have to see what type of players we can get access to with the help if whoever is hired to replace Preston. It probably won't be in Saginaw, MI, but it's a big country. Plenty of places to recruit.
huh?
Would I pay $100,000 to have the same chance at Davis? What sense does that make?

I say that cumulatively with all that Preston Brings to the table ABSOLUTELY YES I would have ponied up to the bar on Preston and paid him the extra $100,000 just like Boston College actually did.
I think that it does not make sense for you to pick out one potential player and isolate the $100,000 for that one player.

We simply disagree. You think htat URI will be fine without Preston, I think much differently. Simple as that.
Last edited by ramster 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think they meant $100,000, not $100.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:I don't care is who we had on staff, Preston included. We have or had ZERO chance
at this kid. Look at the schools chasing Davis and tell me we did.

Cincinnati Medium None
Iowa Medium Offered None
Iowa St. Medium Offered None
Kansas Medium None
Kentucky Medium None
Michigan Medium None
Michigan St. Medium Offered None
Minnesota Medium Offered None
Missouri Medium None
N. Carolina Medium None
N.C. State Medium Offered None Rob Moxley
Ohio St. Medium Offered None
Oklahoma St. Medium None
Oregon Medium None
Providence Medium Offered None
Stanford Medium None
Syracuse Medium None

We did, we don't anymore. My guess is he lands at Boston College. Guess - not prediction - I have to be clear for my friend SeanMc who always says I predicted Dunn would pick URI when in fact I said I had a hunch Dunn would pick URI :(
Sure Eric Davis is a long shot, no doubt about it, but I have not seen URI mentioned with Top 50 recruits since Jim Harrick's days.

Eric Davis 2015 Saginaw Arthur Hill Lumberjacks---Workout Tape. Eric plays AAU for the The Family in Detroit and is being recruited by Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Florida, Louisville, Memphis, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Iowa State, Providence, Marquette, Ohio State, Illinois, Missouri, Minnesota, Rhode Island, Oregon, Oregon State, Syracuse, Vanderbilt and Stanford among others

Eric Davis 2015 Saginaw Arthur Hill Lumberjacks goes for a career-high 34 points at the Battle of the Best. Eric plays AAU for the The Family in Detroit and is being recruited by Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Florida, Louisville, Memphis, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Iowa State, Providence, Marquette, Ohio State, Illinois, Missouri, Minnesota, Rhode Island, Oregon, Oregon State, Syracuse, Vanderbilt and Stanford among others.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I think this a big loss to a program that has yet to regain its footing. I like some of what Hurley has done. But Year 3 is crucial.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I guess I don't see this as such a big loss as others. I still think Bobby leaving was a bigger blow to the program. I see Murray stepping up big time now to fill the void. I am also super pumped for next season where I think we do some damage and recruiting becomes easier.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

What is this kid the second coming of Kevin Durant? The staff had a chance with Terrell but they better not even try with Davis? Hope the staff doesn't have that attitude. Pretty weak, in my opinion.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:What is this kid the second coming of Kevin Durant? The staff had a chance with Terrell but they better not even try with Davis? Hope the staff doesn't have that attitude. Pretty weak, in my opinion.
Agree, Davis is only slightly higher in the Top 50 than Terrell was. Both were 4 Star Players.
Davis was from Saginaw Arthur Hill High School - same HS as our Current Roster Player Jordan Hare. Preston Murphy is from Saginaw.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We're never going to agree on whether or not Preston is a big loss. Some of think it is, some of think it isn't. I am one who thinks it is. He delivered us one of the best high school players in the country last year. That doesn't happen often here. We'll see if it happens again any time soon. And I was one who thought that Bobby was a big loss too. But it's time to move on and look ahead. They're both gone and are not "walking through that door". I still think the future is bright. I'm ready to look forward.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Billyboy, yes losing Preston is a loss, but a temporary one.

It all depends on who Dan brings in. We need a closer. There are a LOT of them out there, a lot of good ones. Preston isn't the only guy that can land recruits.

When we lost Skerry, that was a big loss at the time. It became a bigger loss when Baron couldn't find anyone to replace him until Preston was hired.

I doubt that's going to happen again. The only issue, is whether URI will pay for a big time quality recruiter. I think Dan will get who he wants.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Billyboy, yes losing Preston is a loss, but a temporary one.

It all depends on who Dan brings in. We need a closer. There are a LOT of them out there, a lot of good ones. Preston isn't the only guy that can land recruits.

When we lost Skerry, that was a big loss at the time. It became a bigger loss when Baron couldn't find anyone to replace him until Preston was hired.

I doubt that's going to happen again. The only issue, is whether URI will pay for a big time quality recruiter. I think Dan will get who he wants.
So Rambone, you sound very confident, especially for someone who sung the praises of Preston frequently over the years.

Honestly how would you have graded these 4 guys who came with the current regime outside of Preston Murphy. Guys who we heard were kicking the butt of the Starting Team in the 2012-2013 Season when they all had to sit out. Guys who we heard big things from.
Grade before you same them play last year / Grade AFTER you saw them play last year
Biruta
Reischel
Minnis
Iffy

THis quite honestly is what concerns me about the future without Preston Murphy. I question the ability to judge talent based on what I had heard and what this board was raving about for a year and then what I actually saw. For me it was a big gap.
I wish I was as optimistic as you and others here.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Those guys were transfers brought in to basically field a team. Dan already knew them.

Except for Iffy of course. Dan and Bobby brought him in.

If they were the only players Dan has gotten so far, I would say you're right. Add Butler to that also.

Preston didn't hit home runs with every player he helped bring in either.

Again, the jury is still out imo. Let's see who we get this signing period [besides Jarvis] and also for 2015.

Then we can make a much more informed judgement on Dan's talent evaluation skills.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

It doesn't matter who Preston brought in, or how they worked out. He's gone. End of discussion.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:Those guys were transfers brought in to basically field a team. Dan already knew them.

Except for Iffy of course. Dan and Bobby brought him in.

If they were the only players Dan has gotten so far, I would say you're right. Add Butler to that also.

Preston didn't hit home runs with every player he helped bring in either.

Again, the jury is still out imo. Let's see who we get this signing period [besides Jarvis] and also for 2015.

Then we can make a much more informed judgement on Dan's talent evaluation skills.
It's hard to really judge that because if you go to the recruiting board there have been 30-40+ guys that were offered in 2014/15 that have committed elsewhere that maybe Dan liked better but couldn't get. All the way from Terrell to JUCOs. So, if Garrett ends up mediocre or Gustys (if the staff ends up with him) ends up so-so, it could be more of a lack of recruiting than talent evaluation. At some point, you take what you can get. I get that there is always going to be way more offers and commits but the list is getting long. That being said, it's hard not to forget about some of his comments re: Biggie/Gil/JR and wonder about the evaluation style. Hopefully, it was just a coaching revving up the fan base (not a bad idea) but those guys categorically are not as advertised.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The funny thing, GBG, is that anyone who really looked into it, could see that these guys weren't going to set the world on fire here or anywhere else.

Their numbers sucked. Yes, they played limited minutes, but WHY did they play limited minutes?

There's your answer in black and white. They just weren't that good.

I had hopes for Gil though. He does have easily the most talent of the bunch, but his head clearly wasn't on straight at times last year, of course through no fault of his own.

Dan brought them in because he could. He had ties to them, and they wanted more minutes, and in Gil's case he wanted out of Rutgers and who could blame him?

He needed bodies to fill a roster. Maybe he though they would improve more than they did? If that's truly the case, well that's a crapshoot anyway.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Gil was an All Rookie in a stacked Big East conference. There was plenty of reason to have high expectations for him. JR and Biggie are still question marks.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think Gil gets a pass, because he does have talent.
He's frustrating as hell, because he can get you into a game and
take you out of a game within the same game. (see the UMass
game at Amherst)
You guys forgot Aaman as a Dan recruit, for what its worth.
"People won't believe how good Reischel is".
"Biggie is a lockdown defender"
Obviously, neither statement turned out to be true, which begs the
question of talent evaluation.
It's why Dan won't get into Watson's potential value, too much.
I think he's learned his lesson on speaking on what he sees in practice.
Still unsure about what Butler brings to the table.
If he didn't play last year, when Powell left, Biggie was hurt, and TJ was cramping,
makes you wonder if he'll ever see playing time.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I get a sense some of those chirping about Preston's promotion two weeks ago are now downplaying his success today.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yup, lots of revisionism happening.
As for Davis, let's see, the guy who recruited him isn't here anymore.
Michigan, Michigan State , Kentucky and Ohio State are among the iron recruiting him
Yeah, we have a chance. Let's send one of our non D1- playing
guys to just reel him in.
What a joke.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Yup, lots of revisionism happening.
As for Davis, let's see, the guy who recruited him isn't here anymore.
Michigan, Michigan State , Kentucky and Ohio State are among the iron recruiting him
Yeah, we have a chance. Let's send one of our non D1- playing
guys to just reel him in.
What a joke.
This is absurd. Michigan and Michigan State are in there! Might as well give up. He isn't Lebron. He is a top 50 guy. Arizona, Georgetown, Louisville, Kentucky offered the #14 guy in 2014. Good coaches, huh? Isaiah Whitehead chose Kevin Willard and Seton Hall. Hurley was exciting as a hire because he would have the cache to go big game hunting. Giving up because of the competition is so weak it's hard to put into words. Again, I hope the staff doesn't feel like this. I'm sick of getting excited when the last good guy on board says yes after thirty others say no.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Wasn't the only reason Whitehead chose Seton Hall because one of his former coaches/advisors was being brought on staff? Also easier to "shoot for the stars" on recruits in your backyard. Much harder to build those relationships if you don't have the pipeline in the area. Especially when it comes to the little guys, players relate to the coaches recruiting them over the university itself. Preston just happened to be a power hitter in that region. Guess it's up to Hurley if he wants to bring in another Michigan guy to hopefully continue working the Michigsn to URI pipeline Murphy so successfully built.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I wonder if we go head to head with PM if he will bad mouth us? After everything that has been mentioned, that is the most interesting to me. He is the #1 competitor to us that has inside knowledge right now.

Out recruit him for a stud guard that hails from the same place? to our school where he just left and went to school?

Get Cooke and then deliver on some more tristate guys, sprinkle in a top 15 New England guy, maybe a Phila or DC area guy every year and we are good to go.

Don't see the value in trying to maintain the Michigan pipeline with the expenses involved versus what is close. Considering we lost our 'in' and that said 'in' is now competing against us.

Cooke is important, or just some popular tristate player that can keep us on the minds of the coaches and players there. If not this period, certainly this up coming year.

We may be more used to DH now, but he is still a exciting character in the northeast corridor. Preston Murphy alone didn't deliver EC. EC is a testament to Dan right now. They get top guys on campus and point to EC, proof and progress.

Granted we had press last year, we are picked as the sleeper team out of the A10 on ESPN right now.

I need a win over the FRYAS next year bad.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Wasn't the only reason Whitehead chose Seton Hall because one of his former coaches/advisors was being brought on staff? Also easier to "shoot for the stars" on recruits in your backyard. Much harder to build those relationships if you don't have the pipeline in the area. Especially when it comes to the little guys, players relate to the coaches recruiting them over the university itself. Preston just happened to be a power hitter in that region. Guess it's up to Hurley if he wants to bring in another Michigan guy to hopefully continue working the Michigsn to URI pipeline Murphy so successfully built.
I don't disagree with that. Looking at the competition and passing because they are power schools is small time, though.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Another dud season and Dan becomes old news. Yes, he provides a spark that Baron lacked. But he needs to win soon. The RC was a dead place much of last season. Need to see some serious strides soon. As Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramblinrose wrote:Another dud season and Dan becomes old news. Yes, he provides a spark that Baron lacked. But he needs to win soon. The RC was a dead place much of last season. Need to see some serious strides soon. As Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are."
I agree somewhat with this - I think Hurley needs another "step forward" season, since the only player they're losing is Munford. While he was a very good player, natural improvement from Mathews and Martin should account for his production, meaning you'd expect them to hold the same record at the very least. They went 14-18 this year, whereas next year, I think something around 20 wins and competing for an NIT berth is probably a realistic internal goal. That would be a great sign for next year, considering that the team is still going to be pretty young.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yes, a step forward in the W-L record is imperative next season.

I expect it, but the degree of improvement is going to rest with the newcomers, and how good they are right off the bat.

As things currently stand [although the Hare or no Hare question still exists] I would expect a slightly better than .500 record, at least 17-18 wins.

If we want to take the next step, to 20 wins and beyond, we need a couple more pieces. With Cooke, Gustys, and Garrett I think we have a shot for 20+ and at least a bubble conversation next March.

We should know where we stand, except for Hare, in a couple of weeks.

We should also know who our new assistant coach will be, soon after that.
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

A bit late to the (non) party. Disappointing for sure. I love Preston and the nostalgia factor. But, I don't feel that an assistant leaving is (or should be) crippling to any program. Having said that, Hurley has had a number of unfortunate circumstances. Players getting kicked out. Players leaving. A slower than hoped for upswing. Assistant coaching difficulties. Not great so far. But, winning can cure things. The bottom line is that the trend needs to keep going for the better somehow. Hurley's job is going to be harder than anticipated. The school needs to do whatever possible to support the program. We need a top recruiter. You hope that this gets sorted out with a suitable replacement for Murphy. While this isn't exactly a disaster, there is now officially some heat to do something bigger. Let's see what Hurley's reputation and stature can do for him.