URI Salaries- Of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Taken off the following http://riopengov.org/state-payroll/

Murphy 2010-2011 59k
2012 77k
2013 79K

Bobby Hurley 2013 131k

Dan 2012 83k
2013 597k

Baron 2011 391k
2012 310

*Last payment this summer 140K

Carr 2012 25k
2013 110K

Not sure what to read into it, but if this source is correct , Carr got 110k to Preston's 79k in 2013
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Salaries- Of Interest

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

McRam wrote:Taken off the following linkhttp://riopengov.org/state-payroll/

Murphy 2010-2011 59k
2012 77k
2013 79K

Bobby Hurley 2013 131k

Dan 2012 83k
2013 597k

Baron 2011 391k
2012 310

Carr 2012 25k
2013 110K

Not sure what to read into it, but if this source is correct , Carr got 110k to Preston's 79k in 2013
Well, that would piss me off.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

And baron is till holding up money that could have been deferred.
Give me football or give me death
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Something seems off about that. If Carr was really getting more than Preston that is crazy. The one that really makes me think something is off is it says Murray made $7,692 in 2013. That can't be right, can it?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

adam914 wrote:Something seems off about that. If Carr was really getting more than Preston that is crazy. The one that really makes me think something is off is it says Murray made $7,692 in 2013. That can't be right, can it?
It could be fiscal year, which ends in July, I believe.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
McRam wrote:Taken off the following linkhttp://riopengov.org/state-payroll/

Murphy 2010-2011 59k
2012 77k
2013 79K

Bobby Hurley 2013 131k

Dan 2012 83k
2013 597k

Baron 2011 391k
2012 310

Carr 2012 25k
2013 110K

Well, that would piss me off.
Didn't Baron get a huge bonus from getting the receipts from one home game? I thought Baron was up around $600k or even higher per year.
Regardless, it certainly is revealing for Murphy - no wonder he left.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote:
adam914 wrote:Something seems off about that. If Carr was really getting more than Preston that is crazy. The one that really makes me think something is off is it says Murray made $7,692 in 2013. That can't be right, can it?
It could be fiscal year, which ends in July, I believe.
Ok that would make a lot more sense, because he was hired in May I think. Maybe thats it then.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

If Carr was making 110K to Preston's 79K in 2013,
that explains a lot.
No wonder they didn't promote him to Associate head Coach until two weeks
ago!
I can understand Bobby getting what he made, but Jim Carr?
I'd have left sooner, if I were Preston.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:If Carr was making 110K to Preston's 79K in 2013,
that explains a lot.
No wonder they didn't promote him to Associate head Coach until two weeks
ago!
I can understand Bobby getting what he made, but Jim Carr?
I'd have left sooner, if I were Preston.
It does seem really strange. Like so strange it has me questioning if its even true.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Please someone tell me what Jim Carr does!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Please someone tell me what Jim Carr does!!!
I mean to be fair, I don't think this is really about Carr, I am sure he does plenty that we aren't aware of and that isn't reported about. It's just that Preston seems like the guy who should have been the highest paid on that staff.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

How did he make 79k when all recent reports put him at 135k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Please stop overreacting to this misleading/incomplete info. I posted the salary info for the URI assistants (associates) in the Preston Thread.

Here it is for those who missed it.. .and these are the real numbers for this past season:
ATPTourFan wrote:Prior to this past week, Preston Murphy was already being compensated at the top of the A10 conference's public institutions for assistants 13-14 season @ $135k. In fact, URI had two of the top three highest paid assistants (Carr at #3 @ $121k) this past season among public institutions in the A10 (data was collected via FOI requests). That said, URI, among it's peers in the A10, is very competitively compensating their assistants.

Looking at any "Associate" coaches in the A10, the top paid Associate last season earned $140k, and that was Mike Rhoades of VCU, a program with a much healthier financial situation than URI. Even if the other 4 or 5 "Associates" in the league are paid better (at the private institutions who did not participate in the report), URI still had 2 of the top 10 assistants/associates in the league last season, and at least 1 in the top 5 or better.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Remember that Carr was hired before Preston. Preston was the last guy in. So for the first year, it isn't shocking that Carr would have been higher up the totem pole and making more money. I actually think it is encouraging that that was apparently rectified in fiscal '14, because I believe Preston made $135K last year. That is almost double what he was making previously, and ~80K raise from when he first got to URI in FY12. To me, that paints a picture of things that is almost the opposite of what you guys are apparently seeing to get upset.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Sorry for creating this firestorm.

The site that I posted was using salaries for July 1 2012 through June 30, 2013.

So this might mean that Preston got the 70ish $ when Bobby was getting the $125 ish number.

The site does not reference what happened from July 1, 2013 until June 30 2014. So, it could mean as ATP suggests that Preston was raised when Bobby left to Bpbbi's range.

We will know for sure, when the state publishes all their salaries at the end of the fiscal year. (June 30, 2014)

All this being said, my greatest angst remains, why in the world was Preston not under contract when the coaching "mating" season began. The way I see it, It either falls on Preston for wanting to test the waters, or Thorr and URI for not closing the deal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

How do you figure Preston wasn't under contract?
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i believe assistant contracts are 1 year only (July 1 -> June 30) and are resigned each year (July 1)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yup
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It still means the 2013 season had Carr making considerably more than Murphy,
with far less impact.
That it was rectified the following season, may not account for a year of resentment.
I don't think pointing that out is overreacting to anything.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:i believe assistant contracts are 1 year only (July 1 -> June 30) and are resigned each year (July 1)
Right. So he was under contract when he took the BC job. His contract ran through the end of June.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:It still means the 2013 season had Carr making considerably more than Murphy,
with far less impact.
That it was rectified the following season, may not account for a year of resentment.
I don't think pointing that out is overreacting to anything.
Fine but if you take a job as a staff person and totally outperform a manager, they promote you above that person and pay you accordingly. They don't go back and retroactively change your salaries. They just adjust going forward. Carr, by nature of his past relationship with Hurley, was higher up the food chain in that first season and Preston passed him based on his performance. Not sure there is much to get your panties in a bunch about there.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Jim Carr equals Pat Clarke? If that figure is right for Preston, who can blame him?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Keep up the bullshit condescending attitude, TP.
You're really getting sickening.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Keep up the bullshit condescending attitude, TP.
You're really getting sickening.
Honestly, what in God's name are you talking about? You are on an epic run of crankiness like I've never seen before. If you can't play nice then maybe you need to take a break. You are acting like anyone disagreeing with you is a personal attack ("condescending" in your words). I'd think you'd be used it by now since you are constantly arguing with everyone.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Not sure there is much to get your panties in a bunch about there."
"To me, that paints a picture of things that is almost the opposite of what you guys are apparently seeing to get upset."
Yes. we're all idiots, and you are the one to set us all straight, right?
Maybe YOU need to take a break.
You're pissing people off left and right.
I've gotten a couple of PMs from people talking about you acting like
your somehow better than everyone else here and your snotty comments, telling people to grow up, calling their
ideas "dumb". Check the exchanges with you and Runnin Ram and Ramster.
Belittling them because they think losing Preston IS a big deal.
Better look in the mirror.
You NEVER admit you're wrong and always need to have the last word.
Everything you say about me totally describes you!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, the "panties in a bunch" is an expression, not a condescending personal attack. As far as everything else, I do think a lot of the reaction here since the Preston news broke has been hysterical and, in some cases, childish and dumb. I didn't say that anyone here is personally childish and dumb. I also made arguments in support of what I'm saying, and if you disagree with me you're more than welcome to challenge me.

As I stated previously, I think anyone reacting to the salary info like it is some kind of scandal isn't putting the information in the proper context, because I think when put in the proper context it shows that Preston was actually elevated and rewarded for his performance much quicker than he would be in other organizations. That is my opinion. If you don't agree, explain why not rather than come with this ad hominem nonsense about me being condescending.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions here, and part of that is also explaining and defending your ideas, not just expecting to be able to say whatever wrong thing you want with impunity. If you disagree with what I'm saying about something, tell me why I'm wrong. I'd like to engage in a discussion and test my ideas. But don't get indignant tell me I'm condescending because I disagree with you. And if people are PMing you to complain about me, they are welcome to reach out to me directly. Probably be much more effective for them.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Telling someone to grow up isn't calling them childish?
This isn't Logic 101, it's a college basketball message board.
People have visceral reactions that don't always fall into logical or
even sane reactions to things.
As for PMs, ATP mentioned people complained about me to him, so
I guess it's a fairly normal happening here.
You're not condescending because you disagree with me, I'm all for challenging ideas, if they're
out of line. However, this isn't a court of law. It's a message board.
You're condescending by some of your comments, like trying to explain how raises work, or how
the workplace functions. Like we all work as chimney sweeps in Glasgow, Scotland.
There's some very successful people who read and post here. We're not all potted plants.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You're reading that condescension into what I'm saying. If I didn't think people were capable of getting it, I wouldn't be frustrated when they don't. You say that I'm explaining raises to people like they're rubes, but people are getting upset that Jim Carr was paid more than Preston during Hurley's first year, and I think that makes sense when you think about how that staff was assembled. Then when Preston earned more, he got more. I don't get why that is a bad look for URI, like some are suggesting.

It is similar to the overall reaction to Preston leaving, which essentially boils down to people being upset that Preston isn't here anymore and blaming URI for that when there was nothing URI realistically could have done. That aggravates me. I know people are emotional about sports, but there should be some attempt to understand the realities at play if you want to offer a serious opinion.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Said my peace in public. And yes sometimes you are condescending, which is okay for the rest of us, but not for a mod. And by okay, I mean not okay, but that's why we have mods that rise above condescending to people, so they can make sure we don't get too out of hand with all the credibility of having not condescended. You dig? If one of us is condescending to another it carries a certain weight, a mod on the other hand... Perhaps you are not intending to be so, but it is happening from time to time, the adjective that comes to mind is smug. No disrespect, just my honest take. I've been accused of the same and I'm working on it, admittedly.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Also, very few people blamed URI for Preston leaving in this forum. People are so upset by it because they really like Murphy, is it really that hard to understand?
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Haha, I think that was condescending. It's a work in progress...
Go Rhody!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I've never blamed URI for Preston leaving. I've seen too many good people
leave for any number of reasons.
I genuinely liked the man. I am sad he's gone.
He said it wasn't about the money. Taking him at his word, then it means
something else is in play.
I'm surmising, rightly or wrongly that it could have been resentment of being low
man on the totem pole. Maybe not right away, but after observing what the division of labor
was. Money is a measuring stick in the workplace. Out working someone who is paid better than you
causes resentment, and a lack of respect for that person.
I understand Carr's greater experience and familiarity to Dan. when the staff
was assembled.
Maybe he was resentful of the amount of time that passed while he was twisting in the wind, waiting for Dan
to give thumbs up to his hiring?
So, the question remains unanswered. If it wasn't the money offered, what was the reason
Preston Murphy is now employed by Boston College?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I love Preston and the last thing I'd try to do is say anything bad about him, so I don't consider this bad. But, it was the money. Nobody ever says "it was about the money." It might be about the money and other stuff, like being able to recruit and coach ACC-level players. Or maybe he sees this as the best way to the big chair. Who knows. But I think it is a big leap to assume there was dissension on the staff. He certainly didn't act disgruntled, and I think Hurley and Preston had a very good relationship by the time he left.

I think Preston came in as low man and worked his ass off, and when Bobby left he got promoted over Carr. To me, that shows his effort was recognized and rewarded. I just think at the end of the day, nobody on their way up turns down an opportunity to make more money. It is partly about the money and partly about the perception that goes along with being paid more.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Can someone tell us exactly what Jim Carr has accomplshed since he's been hired? We all know what PM has done. And, we're told we can't judge Murray for another year. That's pretty good. I wish I had a job like that.
URI has a long history of letting top people leave. The excuses have always been that we just couldn't match the offers. However, little is ever said about what could have been done before the offers came.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Preston basically got Bobby's salary this past season. He was undervalued and underpaid before that, under BOTH Baron and Hurley. Hurley would not have known much about Murphy before coming here but was quickly able to see his value in the first year they worked together and promptly rectified it paying him approximately 50k more in the second as he was basically promoted to #1 assistant.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I know a few things that Coach Carr has done/is doing. He is one of the game scouts. This responsibility was split between Carr, Murray, and Murphy. They each rotate scouting an opponent and prior to the game are responsible for breaking down the teams strengths/weaknesses, game planning, etc. In the actual game you see them as one of the more vocal coaches, besides Dan of course. As an example, they would call out what the opposing offense is trying to do. He also coaches the team's big men, so he is responsible for player development. Finally, I know he also has recruiting responsibility. Tough to say how much or who exactly he has been/is in on. Martin, Watson, Gustys? Conflicting reports here.

RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Also, no one said you can't judge Luke. However, just about all of the recruits he has been in on are underclassmen ('15s, '16s, '17s). I believe this is by design. We already had a good handle on the '14s so Luke took the underclassmen. The fruits of his recruiting labor won't be realized until next season and beyond.

bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

After all the other stuff, "good post play" by Roadyjay!
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

ramfan85 wrote:Can someone tell us exactly what Jim Carr has accomplshed since he's been hired? We all know what PM has done. And, we're told we can't judge Murray for another year. That's pretty good. I wish I had a job like that.
URI has a long history of letting top people leave. The excuses have always been that we just couldn't match the offers. However, little is ever said about what could have been done before the offers came.
FYI, there is a lot more to assistant coaching than recruiting - there's scouting, X's and O's, skill training, and practice coaching to name a few. In my time with the team, Coach Carr was the most vocal coach at practice while Preston sat back more. I'm really not sure why people are so up in arms that Carr is paid more than Preston. I'm still miffed as to when Preston became 'The Chosen One' around here. Great guy, but he's not an All-Star.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:Preston basically got Bobby's salary this past season. He was undervalued and underpaid before that, under BOTH Baron and Hurley. Hurley would not have known much about Murphy before coming here but was quickly able to see his value in the first year they worked together and promptly rectified it paying him approximately 50k more in the second as he was basically promoted to #1 assistant.
How do you know Preston got Bobby's Salary this past season? When did that increase occur?

Here is what we know:

- Preston's Promotion to Assistant Head Coach was announced on Tuesday April 2 of this month
- Jim Christian's Announcement as Head Coach of Boston College was announced on Wednesday April 3 of this month - only 1 day later

- Preston made $79K prior to the Promotion to Assistant Head Coach. This represented a $2000 increase over the prior year from $77K
- His Promotion moved him up to $135K, an increase of $56K.

What we don't know is did Preston's Salary get moved up higher than the $79K earlier in the season, prior to the announcement of the Promotion to Assistant Head Coach? Personally I doubt it.

What we don't know is when the phone call came from Jim Christian to Preston Murphy. The Promotion's for both were announced 1 day apart. My guess is that Christian's call came before the Assistant Head Coach Promotion.

What I do think is that the Preston Promotion could have taken place earlier considerably earlier than April - but it didn't. Could have bolstered Preston's reputation on the recruiting trail. Could'a would'a should'a.

We also don't know if this was only about the money as some have mentioned. There is a lot that goes into a decision like this once a family sits down and makes a list of the Pro's and Con's of a Decision like this - Money being one of the many items that get entered into the list.

Oooooooppppps, MY PANTIES ARE WADDING UP AGAIN :oops: :oops: :oops:
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I believe he did get paid 135k last season, prior to the recent promotion

Chris DiSano reported:

"URI assistant coaches were given raises entering the 2013-14 season per the terms of Hurley’s extension and, even prior to the last ditch offer to retain him, Murphy was an associate head coach in title and, according to my research, paid no lower than the sixth highest assistant’s salary in the Atlantic 10."

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This all kind of jibes as to what I was thinking, concerning the major duties of coaches Carr and PM.

Preston did the heavy lifting on the recruiting end of things, and Carr was more responsible for the training/teaching/coaching duties.

Makes it seem logical that Dan will be looking for a big time recruiter. But as DiSano said, it wouldn't hurt to have someone who also has experience in game tactics.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote:I believe he did get paid 135k last season, prior to the recent promotion

Chris DiSano reported:

"URI assistant coaches were given raises entering the 2013-14 season per the terms of Hurley’s extension and, even prior to the last ditch offer to retain him, Murphy was an associate head coach in title and, according to my research, paid no lower than the sixth highest assistant’s salary in the Atlantic 10."

So why didn't we give him the promotion when we gave him the $135K? Why not give him the title along with the money? What is there to lose?

And when does entering the 2013-2014 season start? Would that mean he got the $135K in October of 2013? Then he gets promoted to Assistant Head Coach and he gets no salary increase? Huh?

Something doesn't make sense here to me.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Per DiSano he was also Associate Head Coach in title as well. I suspect the increase would have started July 1, 2013. Why the promotion wasn't announced publicly until just recently is the thing that doesn't make sense if DiSano's facts are correct... which I would trust given his reputation.

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:I believe he did get paid 135k last season, prior to the recent promotion

Chris DiSano reported:

Thx, Jay, for saving me this copy paste from DiSano. It echoes my data earlier in this thread.

Ramster, contracts, and therefore salaries, of the assistant/associate coaches/DBOs are all renewed annually based on the University's fiscal calendar which begins July 1. Therefore, since July 1, 2013, Preston was compensated like an Associate even without the title. The highest paid Associate at a public A10 institution was Rhoades at VCU, a program with plenty of $ to spread around... and he made just $5k more than Preston.

The first post of this thread, because it does NOT include this fiscal year and this past season's compensation, is incredibly misleading. I'm thinking about editing that post to include what we know about this year's compensation (Preston, Carr, etc).

I agree with TruePoint that Preston's performance was handsomely rewarded even if the change in title came just weeks ago. He proved his worth and jumped over other known quantities on the staff, taking Bobby's place as the right hand man on the bench and on the salary report. URI pays its staff well, even if Dan's contract is not top-flight compared to the top third or even half of the conference.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:

Chris DiSano reported:

So why didn't we give him the promotion when we gave him the $135K? Why not give him the title along with the money? What is there to lose?

And when does entering the 2013-2014 season start? Would that mean he got the $135K in October of 2013? Then he gets promoted to Assistant Head Coach and he gets no salary increase? Huh?

Something doesn't make sense here to me.
That much is clear.

What difference would it have made if they had named him AHC sooner? He'd still be here? The fact is URI treated Preston very fairly. He didn't leave for BC because he wasn't treated well or didn't get along with the rest of the staff. He left for BC because that is what coaches do. Especially young coaches trying to build their career. They lengthen their resumes and get experience recruiting and coaching in different environments and get exposure to other coaches and ADs in other conferences, and if they can get a $100K raise in the process, even better.

Everyone is entitled to feel how they want about Preston leaving. For me personally, I hate it. I love Preston and I hate BC and this is just the worst, emotionally. But we aren't doing ourselves any favors by ignoring reality. This is the ultimate case of "it is what it is." This is just the way things work. I really don't want to come off as smug, honestly, but not being able to accept that comes off like a temper tantrum, where you want what you want and aren't willing to listen to reason about why you can't have it. And making your own school out to be the bad guys or like they dropped the ball when they were incredibly fair to Preston and obviously wanted to keep him and probably feel the same way about him leaving as we do, is just sad to me.

Preston is a Ram for life and we are all disappointed to see him leave. But URI has to move on and it would probably help if the athletic department and the program and the staff had the support of the fan base and we were all rowing in the same direction for once, instead of them having to navigate this situation and deal with irrational fans giving them shit at the same time.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI pays it's BB assistants well, because Dan has demanded it. He knows his time will come money wise, when the program starts winning.

Whether it's from us or someone else.

Everyone at URI has put their trust in Dan, expecting results. Those results need to start happening fairly soon, even if no one is publicly saying so.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, I understand what you're saying about the fan base, but it's human nature.

People are going to bitch, because they can. And they care.

This kind of stuff happens at every program when they lose a good coach.

Wonder how Duke's fans feel about losing Wojo? I'm sure it's not all sweetness and light.

We will get over it though. If Dan finds a really good one to replace PM, we'll get over it a lot faster for sure.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rule No. 1:

When someone says it's not about the money, it is definitely about the money.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

You can't leave out money when discussing this but I think it is really important not to underestimate the security this provides him. He is just two years removed from making less than $100k/year and hanging in the wind when Baron got canned. You would have to think that Christian is good for at least four years at BC. BC gave PM a multi year deal. When you have a young family, the prospect of having the next four years settled is a big deal. He's looking at $500k guaranteed and 90%+ of making $1MM over four years. Throw in the ACC and it becomes pretty compelling. Even for an alum.