Monitoring NCAA Transfers

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: NCAA Transfers, 2014 Edition

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It really is sad in a way, when you see some of these guys who left our program, blossom once they went somewhere else.

On one hand, it means yes they had talent. On the other hand though, it meant that the coaching staff had no clue how to develop them.

Kind of sums up CFL's entire time here. He could bring in some good players, but couldn't make them better.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:It really is sad in a way, when you see some of these guys who left our program, blossom once they went somewhere else.

On one hand, it means yes they had talent. On the other hand though, it meant that the coaching staff had no clue how to develop them.

Kind of sums up CFL's entire time here. He could bring in some good players, but couldn't make them better.
Who are we talking about, other than Akeem Richmond?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

TruePoint wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:It really is sad in a way, when you see some of these guys who left our program, blossom once they went somewhere else.

Even he's basically the player most of us thought he'd become, a good role player on a decent team (ECU -last year) or the best player on a bad team (ECU - this year).
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BFC wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Even he's basically the player most of us thought he'd become, a good role player on a decent team (ECU -last year) or the best player on a bad team (ECU - this year).
I didn't want Akeem when he was here and I still wouldn't want him. I think you can blame Baron for a lot of things but not for his inability to make Akeem a great player - because I still don't think that he is. I also do not see where Baron's players went and became much better if at all than when they were here. Maybe Dominique McKoy but in reality he is about the player now that I expected he would be - he was only a Freshman at URI playing the Billy B and Holton - not like he got a lot of touches and he was not in the starting line up. He did good at Duquesne but I don't think Baron or no Baron made a difference
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

agree with the above...the blame baron is an easy excuse for many here. most coaches don't drastically alter a players shooting stroke, my guess is a shot Doctor or Akeem himself played a much bigger role in that than the coach of ECU.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Purcell is certainly going to get his minutes

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Kaza Keene began his career as a starter at ISU.
He was relegated to the bench and never got much time afterward.
He's a good passer, with a good assist to turnover ratio, but
he is an horrendous shooter from 3, 2 and the free throw line.
No clue who the other two players are leaving with him.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Lofton was their second leading scorer but was suspended for the last few games of the season. Zeisloft averaged 25 minutes a game. They're all guards.

Keane was fun to watch run an offense, ok with the ball... until he shot.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Well, let's just hope that his fondest memories of URI are his one-on-one match-ups with Coach Preston Murphy…………...
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

Thought i read somewhere that Chris Obekpa from st johns is transferring; dont know if we had or have any connections to him and his offensive game is lacking but id take him in a second the guy is an athletic freak and a beast downlow. Avrgd 4 blocks a game this year although it was against lackluster competition in the NBE but if you put him on the floor with hassan theyd put up 8-9 blocks a game. 2 more years of eligibility, worst free throw shooter in all of college bball so he would fit right in. 6'9 235 with a vertical thats rumored to be 45 inches. from nigeria originally but played 2 high school yrs in nyc. anybody got any info??
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Obekpa was 2.9 in blocks this season, 4.0 last season. He really didn't play that much at times in the St. John's mess.

@jeffborzello: Heard Oregon and Baylor as potential landing spots for likely St. John's transfer Chris Obekpa"
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

PC fans thought he was a lock for Providence at one point.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Iggy1979 wrote:PC fans thought he was a lock for Providence at one point.
Didn't they also think Nerlens Noel was a lock too at some point?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

According to them, half the St. John's team was a lock to go to PC.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Two more Wagner players- Mario Moody (huge potential loss) and Langston Burnett- have applied to transfer, joining Jay Harris. Hurley left that program in such a good place, but it's really hurting now.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ace, what do you think of Aaron Brown, formerly of
your alma mater?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ace wrote:Two more Wagner players- Mario Moody (huge potential loss) and Langston Burnett- have applied to transfer, joining Jay Harris. Hurley left that program in such a good place, but it's really hurting now.
So Moody will have to sit out a year and then has one year left (like Powell). he was a Hurley recruit - will Dan show any interest?
Harris was suspended from the team so I'd imagine Hurley won't watch to touch him. ANd Burnett isn't any good.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Moody could help as a rental for a year. Problem is, as a transfer,
he'd be on a scholarship for two years, the one he sits out and the one he'll
be eligible to play.
In Mason's dog house, but why?
Here's more on him:

However, as noted by Ryan Peters of Big Apple Buckets, the consistency wasn’t always there and that seemed to impact his minutes as the season progressed:

"Despite the highlight reel dunks and nationally ranked rebound and block rates, the forward was, once again, somewhat inconsistent in his first season as an upperclassman. Even though he set a career low with 4.9 fouls committed per 40 minutes, Moody barely played more than half of Wagner’s available minutes. Why exactly was that the case? Well, Mason didn’t seem to trust him. In Wagner’s two NEC postseason games, Moody made all six of his field goal attempts and blocked five shots, and yet, the New Jersey native averaged a meager 13 minutes per game when the season was on the line. His lack of playing time didn’t seem to make sense from the outsider’s perspective."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:
ace wrote:Two more Wagner players- Mario Moody (huge potential loss) and Langston Burnett- have applied to transfer, joining Jay Harris. Hurley left that program in such a good place, but it's really hurting now.
So Moody will have to sit out a year and then has one year left (like Powell). he was a Hurley recruit - will Dan show any interest?
Harris was suspended from the team so I'd imagine Hurley won't watch to touch him. ANd Burnett isn't any good.
Burnett was a guy Mason added when he took over the team. It was a reach, but Aaman had already left with Hurley and Kameron Mitchell was gone, ending up eventually at StonyBrook. Harris was another Mason guy as a Valpo transfer.

Moody was considered to be an A10 level recruit when he signed with Wagner. He struggled with some injuries in his freshmen year but did contribute. Ortiz and Burton seem to be the only guys who really developed under Mason and his staff. Moody and Anderson are way more talented but have been inconsistent. That program does not seem to be in a good place right now- they've had the talent to win, but the culture seems a mess. Last year, Fanning (a Hurley recruit) was suspended for the end of the season and then transferred; the same thing happened with Harris this season. Beyond that, there have been so many 1-3 game suspensions for a bunch of different guys the last two years. In two seasons under Hurley, I remember one 1 game suspension (Chris Martin, ironically enough). Mason is a young guy who seems to be working out his coaching identity.

I've not seen Aaron Brown play a lot recently, and he didn't get many minutes when I was able to watch him at Temple. I like him for this team, although I could just be biased by the St. Benedict's/Temple connections. Brown could have ended up at Wagner after he left Temple if Hurley had stayed there. It's not saying much, but he shot better from 3 and from the line than anyone else on this team this past season.
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

@jeffborzello: Xavier announces that forward Justin Martin will transfer for his final season of eligibility. Can play immediately at next stop.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Too bad he's from the Midwest. Nice player.
Shoots free throws well, too.
He'd be perfect, except two guys named Martin could
prove overwhelming to Steve Mac calling the games.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:Kevin Ware, Louisville
Wow he is tranferring? Wouldnt have seen that one coming.
Auburn's to lose. Bruce Pearl had recruited him while at Tennessee
Ware is visiting Georgia State this weekend as Ron Hunter has been recruiting him hard since the Louisville annoncement. Ryan Harrow, the transfer Point Guard from Kentuckyt last year, played on the same AAU Team as Ware. If he was "Auburn's to lose" it looks like Auburn may lose Ware this weekend.

Jeremy Hollowell who was #42 ESPN Class of 2012 and is transferring from Indiana is visiting with Ware.
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sp ... n/7517481/
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

5 days to the signing period guys.

Full court press by the staff is on.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. These next few weeks are VERY important.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's official, Ware picks Georgia State, will look to get medical redshirt and eligibility to play this year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... e-panthers
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Here's another intriguing transfer. Will be interested to see where Pollard lands.

http://bustingbrackets.com/2014/04/09/x ... ing-maine/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Terrance Smith 6'4" from Tennesse Martin is a possibility. 43% on 3 pointers, 83%FT averaged 14ppg on a not good team. Coach was fired.
Missouri, Alabama Birmingham, URI among others looking at
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Zagaholic‏@zagaholic·Apr 9
We just talked to Gerard Coleman. Relax people, he's not transferring. Put that rumor to bed.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Pollard had a good game against URI -- 23 points on 9-16 shooting and 5-5 FTs.
These players leaving after their junior year, though, aren't very attractive. They have to sit out a year to play one. Just like Powell.
At least the fifth-year seniors can play right away and only tie up a scholarship for one year.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I agree. You also tie up the scholarship for two years, to get one
year of playing.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:Terrance Smith 6'4" from Tennesse Martin is a possibility. 43% on 3 pointers, 83%FT averaged 14ppg on a not good team. Coach was fired.
Nice numbers. And a good student. I think he'd have to petition to play his last year of eligibility because if he transfers he won't be able to play his four seasons in five years.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Iggy1979 wrote:
ramster wrote:Terrance Smith 6'4" from Tennesse Martin is a possibility. 43% on 3 pointers, 83%FT averaged 14ppg on a not good team. Coach was fired.
Nice numbers. And a good student. I think he'd have to petition to play his last year of eligibility because if he transfers he won't be able to play his four seasons in five years.
He's graduating and will be eligible immediately.
http://www.franklinfreepress.net/?p=4656
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Obekpa might be returning to St. John's, too.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ace wrote:
Well, at least he has some credentials:

Charles Cooke has been granted his release from the James Madison basketball team, his father Charles and JMU coach Matt Brady confirmed Thursday.

“He will not be there (next season)," the elder Cooke said.

His son, a third-team All-Colonial Athletic Association sophomore guard, started 29 games for the Dukes in the 2013-14 season – averaging 14.3 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.

Brady would not say why Cooke decided to leave.

“You’d have to ask him,” Brady said. “What I would say to Charles is he’s a terrific kid who’s really worked hard for us and we wish him nothing but the best.”

Cooke is the second starter to be granted his release this offseason, joining sophomore power forward Taylor Bessick.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Anybody that averages over 14 and 5, might be quite welcome in Kingston. Especially if he can play both the 2 and 3.

The number of players moving is amazing.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

JMU coach Matt Brady is a former URI assistant coach......fwiw......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Cooke's a Jersey kid who would have to sit out and then have two years of eligibility. Good size, 6-6, second on team in scoring and rebounds, led team in steals, not a shooter.

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.db ... =205688765
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I like Cooke. If they bring him in I hope they also get a transfer wing who can play right away.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I worry about VATech, in the same state where he is now, and
Curley Howard closing the deal.
This move works if Hassan winds up as our PF, and Cooke takes the 3.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 13m
James Madison transfer Charles Cooke will visit Rutgers this weekend. He’s gaining new interest from Michigan St, Indiana, Penn St & more.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 13m
James Madison transfer Charles Cooke will visit Rutgers this weekend. He’s gaining new interest from Michigan St, Indiana, Penn St & more.
That's that………..
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rutgers? Doesn't scare me.
Interest doesn't always mean offers. Big jump
from JMU to the Big 10.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Ole Miss announced UT-Martin transfer Terence Smith has committed to the Rebels.

Oh, well…..
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Zags has put together a pretty complete list.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/college-transfer-list/
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My guess is, the NBE made a mistake when they added Butler.

That program is going to go through some hard times. Stevens isn't coming back.

They went for the money when they left the A10. Screw them.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Brown is a lefty 3 star guard. unfortunately, from california.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:According to them, half the St. John's team was a lock to go to PC.

Do not recall anyone saying they were a lock but they were in the final two on three of St John's players.As it turns out I think they were probably better off without them. Opbeka seems like a problem child. I liked Cooley's statement to them come play for me or get used to losing to me.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »