'14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (Offer)

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The entire episode stinks.
Something changed his mind, but I have no idea
what it may have been.
Guess we are beating a dead horse here.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The staff probably knows, but they won't or can't talk about it now.
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

This whole think stinks! Something caused this kid to do a complete about face. We'll probably never know but something turned him off. I profess I'm much bigger Rhody football fan than basketball but this crap frustrates me, so I can imagine you diehards out there. Could football really right the ship before bball??
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I've heard crickets on this and any backup plan.
People like to talk when they think something good is about to happen,
and go dark when something not so good goes down.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Like I said, there was a Creighton coach at NPSI on Saturday in Providence. Our coaches were all at Fordham. I think the Creighton coach got a hold of Jarvis and promised him something. I wish one of our staff had stayed behind that day. It was right after that that his high school coach stated that Jarvis would not be announcing on Sunday. But Creighton did not swoop in last minute and offer. They already had an offer to him. I'm convinced the coach promised Jarvis something last Saturday to change everything.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Then why wouldn't he be committed to Creighton? I think it's more likely he was trying to pressure a team into offering by pretending he was about to be off the market. An ill-advised strategy to be sure, but that doesn't mean he didn't try it. If he wanted to be committed to URI he would be. If he wasn't sure and only had one option, he was better off waiting.

People on this board complain we are "small time" because we don't have names on the back of our jerseys, yet you're proposing that one of our coaches skip a game to guard a recruit from talking to other schools?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, I do.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Did that game at Fordham (which we lost anyway) mean more than the 120 or so games the next 4 years?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Did that game at Fordham (which we lost anyway) mean more than the 120 or so games the next 4 years?
And you assume one more stroke of the ego would have made a difference. Everything I know about this indicates that that is wrong.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying the staff should follow the kid around. But this was a critical stage of the recruitment. He was announcing in one week. He was playing at a tournament in which coaches from all over would be attending and seeing what kind of player he had turned into. And, yes, if we had had a coach there on Saturday, I do believe it could have resulted in a different outcome. Fact is, he changed his mind over that weekend, and we weren't there when he played his last game.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Perhaps we should have sent even more coaches to the Fordham game and won the thing. Promotional game where old Rhody coaches could go and help out.

I personally de-commit from the team after every loss to a Fordham type team for at least 15 minutes. Then I come back for more.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thinking having a coach there on Saturday would have made the difference is total grasping and just wishful thinking all around.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, that's my opinion. I could be wrong. I think the Creighton coach would have been less likely to talk Jarvis into Creighton if we were there too. That's all. Creighton was not in the picture before last weekend, we were. Now Creighton is the leader and we're out. It just adds up for me.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Well, that's my opinion. I could be wrong. I think the Creighton coach would have been less likely to talk Jarvis into Creighton if we were there too. That's all. Creighton was not in the picture before last weekend, we were. Now Creighton is the leader and we're out. It just adds up for me.
And how would it have been less likely? Would Preston box out any other coach that tried to get within a few feet of him?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Well, that's my opinion. I could be wrong. I think the Creighton coach would have been less likely to talk Jarvis into Creighton if we were there too. That's all. Creighton was not in the picture before last weekend, we were. Now Creighton is the leader and we're out. It just adds up for me.
And how would it have been less likely? Would Preston box out any other coach that tried to get within a few feet of him?
Yes, and a little elbow to the ribs.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Supposedly Buzz Williams is watching him today in New Hampshire. I guess Marquette is still in play.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

How is that possible, he wasn't there on Saturday to stop Creighton from talking to him!!!!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Do we know for a fact that no coach was there for that tournament? If so, I'm with BB 78 on this. It matters more that it was actually in RI. It probably wouldn't have made a bit of difference in this case. But, "little things mean a lot" to some people (especially song writers).
Maybe Bill Murray could have gone and told him "I want to party with you, cowboy."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I just told Jerry Meyer that Buzz is watching Jarvis today, and he already changed his pick back to Marquette. Wow, if some little shit like me can have that kind of influence on an "expert", that tells us how reliable these predictions really are.
boone
Jim Eitner

Unread post by boone »

Billy, did Jerry give a reason why he switched his pick (again) -- other than Buzz saw him play? Seems like Jerry's picks revolve around whomever has his ear last.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Billyboy, you should just start your own service. Make a little coin.
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

On one of my trips to RI, I'm going to try and get some info from the staff, whatever they can tell me, about the state of recruiting right now.

Rod keeps saying there's no backup plan, if that's true that's totally unacceptable.

I just find that hard to believe, knowing how critical our need is for a good PG.

They need to work their ASSES off for the next 2 months, to get someone in here who can step in and help this team. Maybe not an immediate star, but someone with potential.

I keep expecting us to offer Smith also. Still waiting.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Nothing would make a program look more like a joke than to have its coaches skipping the team's own games to stalk a recruit. You want to look attractive, not desperate and sad.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Agreed, BFC. None of our assistant coaches should ever miss any game for any recruit, period. Number one responsibility is to the guys on the team.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Providence? Wouldn't THAT be a kick in the pants!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

This interview should make it clear as to why he has reopened his recruiting. He thinks he is a combination of Ty Lawson, Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving. Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I was told he thinks he's already better than Duane Wilson, who was only a four star #53
rated player.
I guess he's just too good for us, eh?
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

He's clearly responding to a question about NBA point guards, he even starts off repeating the question. As far as I'm concerned we should want confident players, confident players would know they're good enough to succeed anywhere and they don't need a BCS program. Maybe Garrett's not that guy or maybe he just wants to go back to the midwest, either way I'm not taking it personally.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So was that interview at NPSI? Do we know? I don't know enough about what the gym looks like there to tell where he was.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

adam914 wrote:So was that interview at NPSI? Do we know? I don't know enough about what the gym looks like there to tell where he was.
Yes. That was during the NPSI at Rhode Island College

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Reading this thread makes me want to set myself on fire. I hope no recruits read this stuff. Some of our fans come across as the most hysterical and out of touch fans out there. It is a bad look for the whole fan base.

The coaches are doing a job, and it is a job that can be very difficult. They aren't your friends, they don't want or need your advice, and they don't owe answers to you (at least not on a personal level). Following recruiting is a fun part of following collegiate athletics because it gives you something to look forward to, but if it is going to make you miserable and if you can't handle not getting a particular player, then just leave it alone.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

TruePoint wrote:Reading this thread makes me want to set myself on fire. I hope no recruits read this stuff. Some of our fans come across as the most hysterical and out of touch fans out there. It is a bad look for the whole fan base.

The coaches are doing a job, and it is a job that can be very difficult. They aren't your friends, they don't want or need your advice, and they don't owe answers to you (at least not on a personal level). Following recruiting is a fun part of following collegiate athletics because it gives you something to look forward to, but if it is going to make you miserable and if you can't handle not getting a particular player, then just leave it alone.
True Points
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I think we were better off years ago, before all this instant information. It's a lot less stressful just waiting for announcements from the school as to who has committed.
Now, we're checking out what colors recruits wear on their visits, how interested in the game they are and who they're talking to. This, and following kids who won't even commit for years seems foolish to me.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That interview was at NPSI, but that article is old.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

yea, speculation is BS, personally, I usually only check to see if theres been a commit without commenting then leave the thread.
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I am sure if there is a thread on the internet with a kids name on it he's reading it.

Wouldn't you?
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, then he's reading the Marquette board, where nobody wants him.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

ramfan85 wrote:I think we were better off years ago, before all this instant information. It's a lot less stressful just waiting for announcements from the school as to who has committed.
Now, we're checking out what colors recruits wear on their visits, how interested in the game they are and who they're talking to. This, and following kids who won't even commit for years seems foolish to me.

The color was merely an observation and thought it was pretty funny. How interested they are in the game may be relevant. If it's foolish to you, why are you reading and replying?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe he'll end up here anyway. Hopefully he won't get any guarantees of a lot of PT, like he would here.

Doesn't seem to be drawing a ton of interest from BCS schools. Yet.

Of course, it's really nice we're not good enough for him now. :(
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Well, then he's reading the Marquette board, where nobody wants him.
Some Marquette fans were speculating that he'd be a walk-on.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Why would kid walk on, when he can get a full boat bb scholarship for 4 years?

Unless his family is very well off, that makes no sense. He's good enough to get quite a few offers.

If he's that desperate to go to Marquette, then go.

Preston must feel like he was duped. Can't be very happy, that's for sure.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Why would kid walk on, when he can get a full boat bb scholarship for 4 years?

Unless his family is very well off, that makes no sense. He's good enough to get quite a few offers.

If he's that desperate to go to Marquette, then go.

Preston must feel like he was duped. Can't be very happy, that's for sure.
He didn't say he would walk on, Rambone. Posters on the Marquette board did. Jesus.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Jesus walked on. Water.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Haha Bress
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

bressler3south wrote:Jesus walked on. Water.
Awesome! :lol: :lol:
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OT, Speaking of walk-ons,
which current walk-on is an All American?
Trick question......
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, I didn't say he said that.

I said why would he?

Read the post, and don't overreact.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

is it an All American in one sport that walked-on a team in another sport?
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Doug McDermott