Rhody Football Recruting

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Re: Rhody Football Recruting

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

All great points TP.. I totally agree with you. I just know drinking on the campus has been a sensitive subject in the past so I proposed something to please everyone.
I remember a party I went to at Endicott college while I was on break a few years ago. No one was of age and there were tons of kids by these apartment style dorms all outside drinking, playing games etc. Campus police showed up after a while and we all thought we were screwed. However, they ended up just bringing us cases of water and having a presence to make sure no fights or anything broke out. We all had a great time. That is how I feel drinking should be on a college campus, and if we could apply something like that to a student designated tailgate, it would be awesome.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

We need TP to become governor.
Give me football or give me death
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody4012016 wrote:We need TP to become governor.
I accept your nomination.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

TP would easily defeat Governor Gump Chafee
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

URI draws better than a lot of teams in the playoffs.
Who is in the stands in these crowds of 6K and 8K on losing teams? Sidewalk fans?
Sure,you will get a few K more when you win,but I don't understand how current attendance equals nobody (students and otherwise) going to the games? Its not lack of attendance hurting URI FB.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hal Kopp wrote:URI draws better than a lot of teams in the playoffs.
Who is in the stands in these crowds of 6K and 8K on losing teams? Sidewalk fans?
Sure,you will get a few K more when you win,but I don't understand how current attendance equals nobody (students and otherwise) going to the games? Its not lack of attendance hurting URI FB.
Exactly right
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

http://www.gorhody.com/tickets/football ... egulations

It feels like they have a lot of the things already mentioned by people in this thread, and have since the 2009 season. They don't have a dedicated student lot, but students are allowed in the lots. And I will say enforcement of the regulations is pretty low.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

With a winning team, the entire attitude around the program will change.

Tailgating policy would most likely change with it.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:http://www.gorhody.com/tickets/football ... egulations

It feels like they have a lot of the things already mentioned by people in this thread, and have since the 2009 season. They don't have a dedicated student lot, but students are allowed in the lots. And I will say enforcement of the regulations is pretty low.
Agreed, from what I have observed in the past years tailgating, unless you have a rowdy group of clearly young looking students all pounding cheap beers, there will be no intervention as long as there's no disturbance.

The tailgate scene south of Meade is a good mix of older alumni, young alumni and students. There are admins walking around and other members of the athletics staff as well as a few police officers. Generally, there are enough eyes on the activity in the tailgate lot that they allow for a certain level of self-governance.

I haven't seen any issues or fights or anything break out, no police cars responding and making a scene to disrupt the vibe. Seems there's a good formula in place and all that's needed to improve it is more WINS.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

its a good start, but ive only known about it from seeing it. never has it been advertised around campus to come tailgate. But like everything else, winning brings the crowds.
GO RAMS
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Taken from the NCAA website. 2013 D1 FCS attendance.

All of D1 FCS - 8112. Off 6%
CAA - 10395. Off 17%. Part of that could be the programs that have left.
In New England, only Yale at 19809 and Harvard at 12067, exceed the CAA average.

D2 - Northeast 10 conference 1853/game.
D3 - 2 New England conferences, 1500-2000/game.
Friday night H.S. football in CT frequently shows attendance in the 2000-4000 range

Sooooo, I guess 6000 isn't awful. It was nice back in the mid-80's with the 7000-9000 crowds at Meade, but I wonder if the current sport fan has any interest in sitting on bleachers on a cold October/November day.
.....I think many of the posters here have hit the nail on the head, you need to win, and it has to be socially fun.

As much as we talk about a bigger facility, I have changed my thinking to 10,000 or so. The interest in FCS D1 football in New England isn't there. Heck even BC and UConn only draw in the 30's.

It is strange to go to the Yale Bowl today[capacity reduced to 66,000] and be in a crowd of 10,000 to 15,000 [Harvard game an exception].....Sorta like the Ryan Center with 2500. No atmosphere.........Upgrade Meade to 10,000 to 12,000. Add lights and permanent seating.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

The schedule was released
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/schedule

I am hoping for five wins. And whatever losses we have I hope they are close.
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

No night home games so guessing no lights this season. Maybe turf this season, lights next? Or most likely the typical Rhody style will be no field improvements whatsoever
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No, they are coming, I was told they were.

I wish I had asked when, I'll try and find out next time I see my source.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

How do we end up with only 5 home games, and 7 roadies?

Marshall at Marshall. Tough way to start the new regime. Buy game?

We have 19 new players, about 1/3 turnover from last year. Pretty good.

Most look CAA level at least. Going to take 2-3 years imo before we achieve a winning record.

5 games won might be a little optimistic. The key will be, will we be competitive in most of these games?

We'll have more skill players, just not enough yet. The depth will come.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Marshall was a last minute buy game on their end. I am hoping for five I will accept three.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

It seems like we ALWAYS have more road games. Its BS. Then again our facilities...
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well part of that is due to being an FCS program. We're always looking for buy games against FBS schools and aren't looking to pay for another team to come to us, so we're always going to be -1 right off the bat due to that. The conference schedule is evenly split home and away.
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

Hopefully we can get to a level in a couple of years where we can schedule a true pay day with a Big Ten team as has been the past case with Maine and UNH. At this point doing such a thing could lead to a lot of injuries though Marshall is no slouch.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Big Ten is doing away with scheduling FCS teams, right now the only games are ones previously scheduled. It's also thought that other major conferences are going to do away with FCS games as well.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Maineiac66 wrote:Hopefully we can get to a level in a couple of years where we can schedule a true pay day with a Big Ten team as has been the past case with Maine and UNH. At this point doing such a thing could lead to a lot of injuries though Marshall is no slouch.
Believe URI was initially slated to play BC this year, but that game was dropped for some reason. Maine will now face BC this season.
'Nova faced BC last year, and Maine played Northwestern.
I think Marshall is a solid get - they won a bowl game last year.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Maineiac66 wrote:Hopefully we can get to a level in a couple of years where we can schedule a true pay day with a Big Ten team as has been the past case with Maine and UNH. At this point doing such a thing could lead to a lot of injuries though Marshall is no slouch.
Believe URI was initially slated to play BC this year, but that game was dropped for some reason. Maine will now face BC this season.
'Nova faced BC last year, and Maine played Northwestern.
I think Marshall is a solid get - they won a bowl game last year.

BC was didn't want to deal with the return of the Mack.....
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

I think our BC game was cancelled because of scholarships. Some Marshall fans are mad we are playing them because they believe they could have done alot better for a buy game.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I love buy games. Syracuse was awesome
GO RAMS
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Add Romeo Masuku
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Any wire cite equals mind blown
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."