Rhody Football Recruting

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Re: Rhody Football Recruting

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

Will the locker room get redone soon?
Give me football or give me death
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I would really love to see a higher quality brand of football with better talent at key areas. Could be a dramatic upgrade compared to the past two (or more) seasons.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Kingsley Ayeni, LB, Voorhees, NJ.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Re: Rhody Football Recruiting

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/926072/dante-dimaggio#

Dante DiMaggio received offer.
Dad Tony was URI FB star in 84-85.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

For those who want to follow along, there's this:

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/2014 ... 0205v32qh6

Lowrie sounds like the real deal. A couple of linemen with size. I can't say I know any of these players, but it seems like we're on the right track.
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Signing day today. They were going to be at the RC for the announcements.

Hopefully everyone is already in Kingston, otherwise there will be a lot of no shows.

This weather is terrible.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We have Lowrie:
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Two more:
Derek Allen, OT, Edison, NJ; 6-8, 280; also offered by Fordham, Wagner, Navy.
Tyler Debek, WR, Derby, Ct. 700 yards, 9 TDs.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Looks like we have 15 players incoming. Does anyone know how big this class is supposed to be?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BIG_FISH_RI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by BIG_FISH_RI »

I JUST LOVE that we are going back to brining the JERSEY kids to the program. Being a former NJ player myself I just see that this coaching staff is looking for players that want to play the game. There is just TONS of talent in NJ/NY/CT that URI should target every year.

All these kids LOOK like they are players.
BIG_FISH_RI
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by BIG_FISH_RI »

Not sure HOW URI got some of these kids but for those not familur with NJ...... Some of these kids come from some REAL GOOD schools...... Impressive thus far.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I am very impressed so far.. Yeah lots of jersey kids. Saw Don Bosco on there, a NJ powerhouse. And a kid from Monroe College in Florida. Can't wait to see the class when it's all finished.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

8 players from NJ so far ... Jim Miceli working his contacts.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

I like the videos more this year than last year because the position coaches are talking about the recruits instead of trainer.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Jersey footballers will be right at home once they see all the Jersey girls on campus.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Jersey footballers will be right at home once they see all the Jersey girls on campus.
I had a shirt while I was at URI that said "Jersey Girls Ain't Trash....Trash Gets Picked Up"

The Jersey girls I knew loved it, naturally.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Iggy1979 wrote:T.J. Hayduk, Trumbull, Ct., WR.
Weird - this guy wasn't announced today with the rest of the NSD class. He still lists on his Twitter that he's coming here though.

https://twitter.com/TJHAYDUK

Non-scholarship?
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

I heard from reliable source Hayduk is non scholarship.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Hal Kopp wrote:I heard from reliable source Hayduk is non scholarship.
Awesome - good to know. Was worried something happened last minute.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Hayduk looks good on film,but too small to be every down player.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Wouldn't it be ironic, if the football program starts winning before the basketball program does?

Could happen, if recruiting flops in BB for 2014.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

The fifteen "look" good. When you had years like the last two, and had numerous seniors graduate this year, we need help in all areas. Let's get behind the new coach. The few, the proud, the ram football season ticket holder!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's nice to not have any more posts about dropping the football team :)
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

On a side note....I am in southwest Florida this week and National Signing Day is huge down here in print, television, and internet coverage...both on the high school and college perspectives...nothing like back in New England ....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ramster wrote:It's nice to not have any more posts about dropping the football team :)

Amen! And bone, I want both teams to win. Let's get it done. These are the two most visible pieces of our school. They're both important to all of us.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

I still wonder how they are going to get students to show up next year.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Rhody4012016 wrote:I still wonder how they are going to get students to show up next year.
Students usually show up for the first game, parents weekend, and homecoming. Other than that, the student presence is weak. Hopefully we will see ruckus organize a formal student section for the football games next year.
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

The University of Maine had 16 Committments yesterday which included two in state signees. One was the Maine High School MVP ( Gatoraide Player of the year, Fitzpatrick Trophy), the quarterback from Cony HS, the State Class B champs. A classic drop back QB who threw for 7,000 yards in four years. Coach Cosgrove got his usual crop of Pennsylvania players. If you think it's tough to get kids to Kingston - try Orono.

It is good to see us getting Jersey kids. A lot of the football players in the house were from Jersey and several went on to be highly successful coaches. Obnoxious at times, but good guys - and players!!
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Hopefully the promo schedule and regular schedule come out soon. If they have promotions and giveaways more students will show up. I dont know how it was before but was there any pep rallies and/or serious tailgating.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I actually believe that there was a decent show of students to this years games. If students could tailgate, mark my words, there would be a 70-80% increase of students showing up to the games.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Wouldn't it be ironic, if the football program starts winning before the basketball program does?

Could happen, if recruiting flops in BB for 2014.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Couple tailgating with different kickoff times and alot more kids will show up.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Rhodymob05 wrote:I actually believe that there was a decent show of students to this years games. If students could tailgate, mark my words, there would be a 70-80% increase of students showing up to the games.
Totally agree. The school needs to give the students an environment they want to be apart of.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Attendance for the 5 Home Games this year
Will be exciting to see next year's numbers with the new regime and a strong recruiting class coming in

7-Sep Stony Brook 4302
28-Sep Central Connecticut 5223
19-Oct Richmond 7936 Family Day
26-Oct Delaware 6536 Homecoming
9-Nov Villanova 4138
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

I think the average will be around 6000 this year. The Stony Brook game had no promotion to it and the Central Conn. game was military appreciation as well as the first home game after the win over Albany.
Last edited by Rhody4012016 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Does URI do a spring game?
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Yes I am not sure of the date but I believe sometime in April.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The spring game is normally toward the end of April.
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

I meant to put 6000 . If Fleming and the players are able get word to the students that this is a new look rams then there will be alot more students there. Kids that will be juniors net year have only seen URI win three games. I hope he can get their support.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As Cindy Lauper sang "Girls just want to have fun" you could also say "College kids just want to have fun". Make the College Football Games fun with Tail Gating and other entertainment at the games to make the kids want to come and they will come. I know for some the Record means a lot but College Fall Football is a great way for College Kids to meet and mingle. Games all over the country are well attended even if the schools have losing records because of the social aspect of the games.
I am very excited about the new Head Coach and the new Coaching Staff - they have experienced BIG time football and they will bring those experiences to Kingston.
I'll be very surprised if we don't average 1500 more per game next year - winning record or no winning record. Very nice recruitng class and it is not over yet.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm sorry, but it's on the college kids if they're not tailgating, no one else. If the school tried to hold an official tailgate students probably wouldn't go because they wouldn't view it as cool enough. If they offered free food, they'd go for the food and leave right after. I will say I noticed a better student tailgate last year at the Central CT game than in the previous two Homecomings. Carothers nuked the tailgate tradition, but now it's slowly coming back.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyfan3
ARD

I agree with you that students wouldn't go if the school held a tailgate. However, the school should try and sanction an area open for student tailgating. Upperclassman would definitely get together with friends and drive to the game. It wouldn't be the college game day experience we see on TV, but if the school made a lot just for students, people would go. You could also try and prevent underage drinking by giving those students who are 21 bracelets and not give them to anyone underage. I'm not exactly sure how to attract those who are underage with this method though. And it's important to get the young students because they are the ones living on campus. I don't know how other schools handle it. Anyone have any insight?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't even think we should try to prevent underage drinking. If we just decriminalized underage drinking the atmosphere at all of our events would be better. Obviously you can't have anyone of any age driving around drunk, but I strongly believe there should be no arbitrary drinking age for adults. A student tailgate lot should be an unregulated zone like Bunny Colvin's experiment in The Wire.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Hamsterdam.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:Hamsterdam.
'Zactly
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Richmond allows drinking in designated areas for people that are of age. James Madison enforces the 21 limit but I know people that drink at tailgates there and as long as the people aren't to obscene the officers don't say anything. There should be a way to allow the kids to drink just not allow it inside Meade. If the student is no completely hammered they should be let in.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah I think realistically you cannot have a stated policy that blatantly ignores the drinking age. That would be a terrific way to lose federal funding. What you could explore, though, is a "hush hush" policy of nonenforcement. Obviously anyone that cannot walk into the stadium among a crowd without being identified as visibly inebriated should not be allowed in the stadium and possibly sent back to Jr High.
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

The SEC has some of the better tailgates. I know we are not them nor big time. But we could follow what Georgia has for its alcohol rules which are : Legal and responsible consumption of alcohol is allowed on campus on gamedays other than in the family-friendly area on North Campus. Please note, there are 17 city streets that run through campus and are under the jurisdiction of Athens-Clarke County Government regulations, which includes an ordinance banning open containers of alcoholic beverages.

The wording could be put so alcohol is allowed in the tailgating area just not in the stadium. The officers that work the area could worry about kids that are overly intoxicated.
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Rhody4012016 wrote:Richmond allows drinking in designated areas for people that are of age. James Madison enforces the 21 limit but I know people that drink at tailgates there and as long as the people aren't to obscene the officers don't say anything. There should be a way to allow the kids to drink just not allow it inside Meade. If the student is no completely hammered they should be let in.
This was how it was when I was there in the early to mid 90's. We drank in the the tailgate areas then headed into the game. If you were tanked you weren't let in. That's how it should be again but then the school would have to get real staff at the gates not the 80yr old men manning the gates now. They used to have school workers and campus police at each gate. My guess is that they switched to the old guys and eliminated campus police/SK details at each door to save money. Seeing how things have changed in the last 20yrs, aside from Homecoming which was always a wild mess, life on campus was so much more fun for the college student. Maybe a mix of old ways and new ways may attract more students to come to the games aside from the winning aspect. We used to go to every game and it didnt matter whether they won or not. I was all about the atmosphere. I would love to see the school make it more of a party atmosphere for both the college kids, us alumni and our families. I've suggested many times to the school, they should have a fan experience for the young kids like they do at NFL games, etc(games, inflatables, etc). I would love to go and make a day of it each Saturday. Adults have a few beers while our kids are off having fun as well. They get to meet other kids and we reminisce about the good ol' days when life was simple!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I don't even think we should try to prevent underage drinking. If we just decriminalized underage drinking the atmosphere at all of our events would be better. Obviously you can't have anyone of any age driving around drunk, but I strongly believe there should be no arbitrary drinking age for adults. A student tailgate lot should be an unregulated zone like Bunny Colvin's experiment in The Wire.
This may be the greatest post in the history of this fine board!