'14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (Offer)

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:I have no problem with a kid who thinks he is good enough to play in the Big East or Big Ten. I thought rankings aren't the end all now we give a kid grief because he thinks he can beat out the #53 player? C'mon. I want a PG who thinks he is the best player on the floor. He did not commit to URI and then back out. For all we know, he has told the staff this is where he stands. The reality is if URI wants to be involved in competing with Oklahoma State or Indiana or Marquette, this is how it goes. Of course, have to win some of them eventually.
The reality, in this case, was URI was not competing against Marquette and Indiana, neither of which has offered and likely won't. URI was competing with Creighton and teams like that who Garrett has eliminated. In the end, URI was competing against itself and he decided he doesn't want to go to URI. Hurley and Preston will move on. They did a great job recruiting him and it didn't work out. Garrett's mistake was that he announced, through his coach, that it was down to URI and Marquette and he would make a decision on Sunday. That was odd considering Marquette hadn't offered. He should've waited. But 18-year-olds make mistakes.
No, they didn't do a great job recruiting him. At some point we have to stop confusing activity with results.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It takes a special kid to stick with a mid-major recruiting him the longest when the BCS schools swoop in at the end...
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramulous wrote:It takes a special kid to stick with a mid-major recruiting him the longest when the BCS schools swoop in at the end...
And that's what pisses me off. Preston's been on this kid for close to a year, I'm guessing, putting in a lot of hard work. Now the bigger schools come calling 8 weeks before the signing period, and we're out. Same thing happened with Terrell. I know it's the reality, but it sucks.And I can't blame the kids. We just can't compete. EC is the exception in this case. Unfortunately, once the bigger schools start noticing, it doesn't matter how much hard work our staff has done.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Stop with this mid-major crap, in the new college landscape, we are a high major program and a high major league. As this year has shown, the A-10 is comparable and even better some years then the new Big Least conference.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:Stop with this mid-major crap, in the new college landscape, we are a high major program and a high major league. As this year has shown, the A-10 is comparable and even better some years then the new Big Least conference.
So, if you were being recruited by an A10 school and started getting offers from Big10 schools, you would say that the A10 and the Big10 are equals in the minds of recruits.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Unfortunately CTR, results this year do not matter very much to recruits as far as the level of our program or league. Those sorts of reputations are built up over at least 5-10 years. We're not there yet.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Billyboy78 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Stop with this mid-major crap, in the new college landscape, we are a high major program and a high major league. As this year has shown, the A-10 is comparable and even better some years then the new Big Least conference.
So, if you were being recruited by an A10 school and started getting offers from Big10 schools, you would say that the A10 and the Big10 are equals in the minds of recruits.
Depends. If a kid gets an offer from Indiana or Duke or some team like that, god bless him. That's tough to turn down. But, there is no reason that URI can't compete with the bottom half of high major leagues for kids.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I don't think it's as much the league as it is the school recognition. How many of these midwestern kids know anything about us? How long has it been now, 14 years?
Being irrelevant for so long hurts. The last time we were known nationally, these kids were just getting out of diapers.
I sure hope we get some good point guard who can play next year.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Depends. If a kid gets an offer from Indiana or Duke or some team like that, god bless him. That's tough to turn down. But, there is no reason that URI can't compete with the bottom half of high major leagues for kids.
The school is more important, but I think kids want to play in the top leagues too. That's why Garrett is no longer involved with us. Most of the schools looking at him now are BIG10. I believe playing in the BIG10 is much more attractive to kids than the A10 is, despite what CT says.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Ramulous wrote:It takes a special kid to stick with a mid-major recruiting him the longest when the BCS schools swoop in at the end...
That's the thing, I don't think anyone did swoop in at the end. If Marquette or Indiana had offered and he accepted, what can you do ... But that hasn't happened. the Marquette interest was an illusion. I don't believe the Indiana interest either.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

purdue is showing interest, at least according to twitter
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Gonebarongone wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:I have no problem with a kid who thinks he is good enough to play in the Big East or Big Ten. I thought rankings aren't the end all now we give a kid grief because he thinks he can beat out the #53 player? C'mon. I want a PG who thinks he is the best player on the floor. He did not commit to URI and then back out. For all we know, he has told the staff this is where he stands. The reality is if URI wants to be involved in competing with Oklahoma State or Indiana or Marquette, this is how it goes. Of course, have to win some of them eventually.
The reality, in this case, was URI was not competing against Marquette and Indiana, neither of which has offered and likely won't. URI was competing with Creighton and teams like that who Garrett has eliminated. In the end, URI was competing against itself and he decided he doesn't want to go to URI. Hurley and Preston will move on. They did a great job recruiting him and it didn't work out. Garrett's mistake was that he announced, through his coach, that it was down to URI and Marquette and he would make a decision on Sunday. That was odd considering Marquette hadn't offered. He should've waited. But 18-year-olds make mistakes.
No, they didn't do a great job recruiting him. At some point we have to stop confusing activity with results.
They were at his games at RIC. Marquette wasn't. They made their case to the kid and his family. The kid, in the end, said no thanks. I agree that you have to get results at some point, but I don't see how they could've done anything more in this individual case.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:purdue is showing interest, at least according to twitter
I'd just like to know who the source on that is. The source for the Marquette interest was the player. There's nothing out there that came from the Marquette coaches or media that follows the team. The Indiana rumor surfaced at the RIC tournament, so the source of that was the ND prep coach or the player. I don't believe everything the players say about "interest" is based in fact or reality.
This is a case of the player rejecting the offers he has, not a case of big schools swooping in. He's looking for better offers. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I'm done talking about Jarvis Garrett ... moving on.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

12 pages, 565 posts later :? :? :?
moving on
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"Interest" is far different than a serious offer of a scholarship.
Look at everyone in these recruiting pages, and they all have a
laundry list of "interested" schools.
So did Garrett, but he only had offers from Lasalle, Creighton and us.
I'd still like to know how we went from three days away from being his
school of choice, to not even being on his "list"?
I just find that the one thing I can't quite understand.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

The good news is we found out now and have more time to find a replacement than if he backed out of his verbal in April
Clapton is God
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

gorhody89 wrote:The good news is we found out now and have more time to find a replacement than if he backed out of his verbal in April
Pickings are slim...
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If you don't have BCS football you are a mid-major.....let's not hide our heads in the sand....the new big east is mid-major...so is the A-10....the best mid-majors....but mid-majors nonetheless
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

If the NBE and writers such as Adam Finkelstein consider the Big East a high major, then we have to consider ourselves a high major. Can't call the A-10 anything else until the perception of the NBE is called the same.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I just hope we're not relegated to Baron type spring signing fillers.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:I just hope we're not relegated to Baron type spring signing fillers.
That might be all that's left.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Part of recruiting is identifying talent and part of recruiting is building relationships. These things have varying degrees of difficulty depending on where you are in the hierarchy of programs. If you are an elite program, it is easy to find the truly elite players and the relationships almost form themselves. When you're in not in that position, it obviously becomes more important to work harder on identifying talent and building relationships.

Even that, though, isn't enough sometimes. There is another important part of recruiting, and that is correctly reading the market. If you're the first one in on a kid as a sophomore, that's great except if you devote all of your time and resources to him and by the summer after his junior year he has offers from Kentucky, Kansas, UNC and UCLA. You can't have a relationship strong enough or get involved early enough to overcome that. That is obviously an extreme example, but we saw it play out a little bit with the Terrell situation.

We are going to have to be better about reading the kid to see what he aspires to (would he rather sit on the bench so he can say he played at Florida or Indiana than star in the A10?) and gauge what type of programs we're legitimately going to have to hold off. If we aim too high we can easily be stuck with nothing at the end. If we aim too low we won't have the talent to compete in the A10. Dan and his staff are going to have to find the middle ground there. It is certainly possible; other teams do it. But you can't be too picky, you have to trust your teaching/developmental ability, and you have to recognize undervalued assets knowing that they won't be perfect players.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That wasn't the case with Garrett though. Immediate playing time is a major factor to him. And he blew up (well, mildly anyway) during and after the NPSI, one week before he was to make a decision. Terrell was a long shot, until he got to our final two. Garrett is the type of player we should be able to get. It seemed we were only competing with Marquette, until yesterday.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree he is the type of player we should be able to get, but there is no accounting for what goes through these kids' heads. Type of player is one thing, but is he the type of kid we should expect to get? If he wants a BCS offer so badly he is willing to risk a good situation to get it, that is his right. It is his life and his decision. It would be better for us to get a sense of that earlier if we weren't prepared for it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's funny. Another guy on 247 changed from Marquette to us today. They did add "warm" to Creighton, Indiana and Northern Iowa. I wonder about Creighton. They have offered him and I did see a Creighton coach at NPSI on Saturday. OK, my prediction is Creighton. Let's see if I can outguess the "experts".
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

....and they added Ole Miss to the "warm" category also.
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

I just don't get it. Something at/near the last minute are turning these kids away. I get what everyone is saying about Big schools vs. URI but maybe our problem is we do not have a closer. Clearly Preston can find these kids and to me, it's up to Hurley to be the closer. Maybe that is his Achilles heel. He can't close the deal. If that is the case, we are in deeper trouble then most think.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 · 43m
Abrupt change for Jarvis Garrett. No announcement Sunday. Creighton, Indiana, Northern Iowa, Ole Miss now involved.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

GansettRam74 wrote:I just don't get it. Something at/near the last minute are turning these kids away. I get what everyone is saying about Big schools vs. URI but maybe our problem is we do not have a closer. Clearly Preston can find these kids and to me, it's up to Hurley to be the closer. Maybe that is his Achilles heel. He can't close the deal. If that is the case, we are in deeper trouble then most think.
He did fine with EC and Hassan. As we've discussed here previously, there are a variety of factors that make URI's recruiting position a little more difficult today than it was when we signed those guys. I won't get into all of that again, but we are at a critical juncture here. If we come up empty with this class we are at risk of not being able to get over the hump in a year or two and possibly squandering EC and Hassan, and making it harder and harder to convince recruits to come here. Conversely, if we can somehow find a good guard (whether it is a HS senior, a JUCO or a grad transfer), we can keep momentum going into next year and we will find it progressively easier to recruit as we continue to get better.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

GansettRam74 wrote:I just don't get it. Something at/near the last minute are turning these kids away. I get what everyone is saying about Big schools vs. URI but maybe our problem is we do not have a closer. Clearly Preston can find these kids and to me, it's up to Hurley to be the closer. Maybe that is his Achilles heel. He can't close the deal. If that is the case, we are in deeper trouble then most think.
Which one's Achilles?????????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBRmlVEvQO4
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Are we involved with anyone? This is terrible.
He had better get a pg who can play next year (not a freakin' transfer). Maybe a juco, if he can't get a good freshman. This is a crucial year coming up.
The longer we suck, the harder it's going to be to get quality players.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Maybe we should have folders by star ranking to put recruits in. I understand we need a pg, but 12 pages on a 2* recruit? Terrell I could see. 3 or 4* sg. Would have been a major impact. Let's keep perspective on this. I say eat the pg scholly if no one exist or use it on a Juco. Save it for next year. That way I can temper expectations based on folder selection.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Huh? We just make the profiles. The length of the threads is up to the board. I'm not sure what the beef is.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Maybe we should have folders by star ranking to put recruits in. I understand we need a pg, but 12 pages on a 2* recruit? Terrell I could see. 3 or 4* sg. Would have been a major impact. Let's keep perspective on this. I say eat the pg scholly if no one exist or use it on a Juco. Save it for next year. That way I can temper expectations based on folder selection.
I'm guessing you haven't seen him play....and he's a 3 star on some sites, not that it matters.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

TruePoint wrote:Huh? We just make the profiles. The length of the threads is up to the board. I'm not sure what the beef is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
ACTUALLY, WHERE"S THE POINT GUARD???????????????
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Maybe we should have folders by star ranking to put recruits in. I understand we need a pg, but 12 pages on a 2* recruit? Terrell I could see. 3 or 4* sg. Would have been a major impact. Let's keep perspective on this. I say eat the pg scholly if no one exist or use it on a Juco. Save it for next year. That way I can temper expectations based on folder selection.
I'm guessing you haven't seen him play....and he's a 3 star on some sites, not that it matters.
Billyboy I haven't seen him play. But many others have and rated him. Not that that means anything.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, I'm with you, in that it's weird that Garrett had us in his final two, and then suddenly we're nowhere.

I'd love to get our coaches' take on this. Maybe he was playing us for the fool all along.

You would think that Dan and Preston should have seen through the charade, and backed off him earlier.

It's getting to the point where I don't know what to think anymore, about the staff's recruiting abilities.

We know Preston is good, but the others?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Preston was pretty happy, Friday.
He's no fool. Something obviously happened after that tournament
to change everything.
I watched this kid play. Preston watched him play. Carr watched him play.
We all felt the same.
Anyone who thinks this kid was nothing is talking out of their ass.
He's a late bloomer,and he's now getting noticed nationally.
Remember, no matter how good any assistant coach is, he's not the closer.
Thus, my questions in BAR's thread about Cooley vs. Hurley as recruiters.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I guess now we have to go after REALLY late bloomers.

Once the big boys jump in, we're tossed out.

Kids who can play, want to play for big time winning programs.

We're not.

Going to have to recruit like Al did. Find the diamonds in the rough, and coach them up.

Once we start winning, then it will get easier. Until then, nope.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's tough to recruit if you can't win. It's tough to win if you can't recruit...
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I'm sick of 4 year guys thinking they are better than they are.

I'm pro Juco, build a no nonsense reputation for hardcore basketball where a Juco can go and expect to play to his potential in a league as good as any. Just make sure you know what your getting. They will come.

I also think east coast kids are more likely to sign with BE/A10 schools because there is familiarity. A kid from the Midwest is holding out for a B10 school?makes sense.

The bottom feeders of the BCS 5 aren't better than the a10. Jim Boheim made the case the other night that the reality is that it's more like 50 schools that have a legit shot at a deep tourney run, no reason for us not to be 1.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Bottom-tier BCS teams will almost always be bad (unless they get lucky a year or two or get a new coach) because of how they have to sell their team. They always have anxious lower-high major prospects who hear "Hey you, you can come here and play against UNC, Duke, and Syracuse, or go to that other place and play against Northern Illinois, Bradley, and Drake," and many of them stupidly jump on it. Then they end up going there, often end up struggling and losing a lot of games, and transfer out to a place that appreciates their talent.

I've always said that it takes a special breed of kid to come in and believe in "rebuilding." That is what is commendable about kids like Kris Dunn, E.C. Mathews, Hassan Martin, etc. They could wait around or go for the best offer, or come and try to be one of the "saviors."
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Nicely stated, RJ.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

That was well said, RJ.
I have to tell you, every time I see a post from you, I start humming the song from the Superfly movie of the 70's.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Everybody here knows what we need. We've beaten the subject to death, including myself.

Time to hunker down and wait. The next two months are going to be tough to deal with, unless we get a couple of verbals.

What I would give, to be inside the minds of the coaching staff right now.....
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Creighton appears to be leading now, not exactly "the big boys". If we can't beat out the new mid-major version of the big east for recruits after we have been on them for a while and they finally wake up then we're in trouble long term.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Tough to compare Rhody to Creighton right now. One team lost to Fordham the other is on its way to the dance. I would say likelihood of being on an NCAA tourney team seems higher at Creighton and that is what we need to overcome. Success will make recruiting easier, but these first few years we need kids who will buy in on the rebuild.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And Creighton's game-day atmosphere is slightly better than what he may have observed in Kingston. Don't the Jay's average like 18k every game??
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Creighton offered him a long time ago. He could have picked Creighton before. But when his list was cut down to his final two, it's Marquette and URI. Now all of a sudden Creighton is the leader. I don't get it. What happened? Why didn't he just pick Creighton before?