Brayon Freeman Dismissed from Team

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Brayon Freeman Dismissed from Team

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

No longer with the team.

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Brayon Freeman

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Well OK then…

Edit:
Guess I’m out on the highest scorer contest too

:(
Last edited by hrstrat57 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

wow...tho can't say I'm surprised.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago No longer with the team.

His mom was wrong.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Archie not taking any shit.
9 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago wow...tho can't say I'm surprised.
Yeah, not a shocker.
Too bad it didn't work out here.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

COLOSSAL failure.

I’m not putting 100% blame on Freeman, however.

Most of it? Yes.

Archie needs some blame as well.
2 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You want to build a culture where attitude is everything, you can't keep putting up with one player's bullshit.It's too bad, but it didn't look like Bray was going to change.
6 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Lest we forget, Bray attended four high schools.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wow
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago COLOSSAL failure.

Most of it? Yes.

Yeah

Not the best start to a rebuild I've ever seen
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Geez man. Not a great look for anyone here…
Disappointed in Brayon though.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Additional by subtraction, the distance between his ears just seemed to be to far to go.
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why should Archie take some of the blame? Should he just accept insubordination? Is that how things go in 2023?
11 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Would’ve probably happened to the twins if they stayed here as well and I don’t understand why people wanted them back
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

that's called an Alpha Move
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

He just wasn't willing to conform. From the little things like tucking in his shirt (refs got on him every game for this) to just not being a team player. Too bad. This is definitely on the coaching staff too. They brought the kid in. I doubt he just decided to act the way he did because he was here. There had to be some of the same issues at GW. He was supposed to be a cornerstone of the rebuild. The rest of this season is going to be a fan's nightmare. Archie has a lot to accomplish before next November.
Last edited by ram1980 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What a fun season...
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Freeman's response sounds like hes taking at least a portion of the blame. Archie and Bray were like oil and water from the beginning. Not sure there was anything that could have helped the situation. Sucks, but this isn't going to derail our NCAA chances this season. Archie will get it right.
3 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Mid season dismissal isn’t very common without a fairly significant issue
5 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Holy shit. I mean I didn't expect a mid-season exit like this.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Most of it? Yes.

Why? For taking a chance on a talented yet undisciplined player who could be great if he fell in line with a system and team mentality? Arch took a shot on this kid's insane ceiling combined with his flight risk. It didn't pan out.

Yeah, obviously the kid is one of our most talented players - potentially with the most upside - but what does that mean if he can't control it or use it in a way that helps the team?

He's Fatts Russell. Not talented enough to win it on his own (see: our record, his drives to nowhere and subsequent turnovers), though he shows flashes of insane brilliance that frustrate you when he follows it up with selfish plays to nowhere.

He needed to get in line and leverage his greatness to help the team. Now, we're so depleted for talent that his hero ball attempts are potentially our 3rd or 4th best scoring option out of the halfcourt - but this year doesn't matter.

Archie coached this kid hard because he knew if we were going to go anywhere it was going to be with Bray's talent in line with Archie's system.

It sucks now - but get this out of the way. I don't want to be 2 more years down the road with this kid finding out he can't stop playing selfish and preventing us from becoming a team capable of winning.

However. This sucks in the near term. It means we see nothing but Sebastian Thomas and I contemplate drinking a bleach sundae.

If you need me I'll be blasting Cian Ducrot songs crying in the fetal position on the floor of my shower.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The blame on Archie is that he didn’t see any of these red flags in his vetting. Remember we likely took Bray over Diggins at Umass.

But Bray’s play on the court was almost uncoachable at times. And his body language even worse. He’s a talented player but it will take a special coach to get the most out of him.
5 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Most of it? Yes.

I feel like we don't know the whole story... He was probably being a massive pain in the ass after that game to be removed from the team.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The blame on Archie is that he didn’t see any of these red flags in his vetting. Remember we likely took Bray over Diggins at Umass.

But Bray’s play on the court was almost uncoachable at times. And his body language even worse. He’s a talented player but it will take a special coach to get the most out of him.
Yup, that’s why Archie needs be blamed a bit.

He is in charge of every aspect in this program from the top down.

Not giving him one iota of blame is still being in the “Archie can do no wrong” camp, which I assume has less and less people in it each day.
2 x
Go Rhody
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

not shocked at all...Did think he would make it thru the end of the season but enough is enough.
Time to move on.
There will be a lot of players in the portal wanting the opportunity and privilege to play for URI MBB, Coach Miller, The Fans and attend the URI!!!!
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

What a nightmare season.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Freeman's response sounds like hes taking at least a portion of the blame. Archie and Bray were like oil and water from the beginning. Not sure there was anything that could have helped the situation. Sucks, but this isn't going to derail our NCAA chances this season. Archie will get it right.
Definitely sets back the rebuilding.

Remember, this was a preseason all conference player. Very very talented and leaves a huge void.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Mid season dismissal isn’t very common without a fairly significant issue
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. This isn't normal... Something else happened after that game.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The blame on Archie is that he didn’t see any of these red flags in his vetting. Remember we likely took Bray over Diggins at Umass.

Well never be able to fully distribute blame without knowing the specifics. So I’ll reserve judgement.

But that being said, the landscape college basketball has changed a lot with the transfer portal since Archie was successful at Dayton. He can no doubt coach, but part of coaching is also assembling the roster.

In his first swing at the transfer portal he’s now fully missed on 2 big transfer additions with neither Freeman or Harris making it through a single season. And the two he has remaining on the team (Weston and Tchikou) have left a lot to be desired.

Again, far too early to lose faith on the vision here, but those are frustrating early hiccups to this rebuild
Last edited by KingstonLane 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

There was no way Bray was going to be on this team after this season. Might as well rip the band aid off now.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There will be a young player in the portal with just as much talent and a much better attitude. Looking forward to see who that player is.
5 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

The rest of this season needs to be what can Weston, Hutchinson, Stewart and Tchikou be going forward. Forget Harris. That can't really be possible at this point for next year can it? If it looks like these guys can't help in the future tear it down and start over except for Ish (need him to stay) and attack the portal mixing it with youth. Let's see how good our coaching staff really is in the recruiting game.
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Freeman's response sounds like hes taking at least a portion of the blame. Archie and Bray were like oil and water from the beginning. Not sure there was anything that could have helped the situation. Sucks, but this isn't going to derail our NCAA chances this season. Archie will get it right.
Definitely sets back the rebuilding.

Remember, this was a preseason all conference player. Very very talented and leaves a huge void.
Or it's a blessing in disguise... Sure, very talented player, but a good teammate that fits Archie's system? Idk.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Most of it? Yes.

Why? For taking a chance on a talented yet undisciplined player who could be great if he fell in line with a system and team mentality? Arch took a shot on this kid's insane ceiling combined with his flight risk. It didn't pan out.

Yeah, obviously the kid is one of our most talented players - potentially with the most upside - but what does that mean if he can't control it or use it in a way that helps the team?

He's Fatts Russell. Not talented enough to win it on his own (see: our record, his drives to nowhere and subsequent turnovers), though he shows flashes of insane brilliance that frustrate you when he follows it up with selfish plays to nowhere.

He needed to get in line and leverage his greatness to help the team. Now, we're so depleted for talent that his hero ball attempts are potentially our 3rd or 4th best scoring option out of the halfcourt - but this year doesn't matter.

Archie coached this kid hard because he knew if we were going to go anywhere it was going to be with Bray's talent in line with Archie's system.

It sucks now - but get this out of the way. I don't want to be 2 more years down the road with this kid finding out he can't stop playing selfish and preventing us from becoming a team capable of winning.

However. This sucks in the near term. It means we see nothing but Sebastian Thomas and I contemplate drinking a bleach sundae.

If you need me I'll be blasting Cian Ducrot songs crying in the fetal position on the floor of my shower.

I’ll pray for you BlueMan becuase we might have to deal with Bassy for another year
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Most of it? Yes.

I don’t disagree, 15. There are 2 sides to every coin. That said, is there anything you know or heard that would validate your post or just your opinion based on observation from game interaction.

I am curious because I like to file this type of info away in case similar situations arise in the future - not that I expect they will.

Also, to all KB member, for my own edification, has Arch had similar issues at IU or Dayton? I can’t recall any off the top of my head.

ETA: 15, me not fully knowing the particulars of the situation I can’t agree with the “colossal” part of your post although, I do agree with you overall message.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Archie will speak to the media at 2:15. I'm sure this will be addressed.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wonder if there will be any other player fall-out after the season.
Hope not, at least for the players we want to stay.
Also remember Bray and Ish are close friends, have known each other since 6th grade, and played AAU together.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Wonder if there will be any other player fall-out after the season.
Also remember Bray and Ish are close friends, have known each other since 6th grade, and played AAU together.
Except Ish listens to the coach, has a good attitude, and doesn't bitch on twitter about the coach lol
6 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Why should Archie take some of the blame? Should he just accept insubordination? Is that how things go in 2023?
+100

Saw this one coming unfortunately. Home opener and I was getting my first glimpse of the squad. Couldn't help but notice Freeman constantly up on the bench, turned around and interacting with what appeared to be family/friends. It was essentially him showing his displeasure for not getting into the game (shrugging, shaking his head, etc). I'm by no means saying the kid can't be annoyed/frustrated, but that shows a big lack of maturity to be dealing with it in that manner (especially with it being one of the first games of the year).

It's unfortunate, and while we certainly need his scoring in the short term, it certainly doesn't outweigh the long-term downsides with him (inconsistent/lazy defense, hero ball and a what appears to be a general attitude problem in multiple areas, which will undoubtedly cause issues with the team chemistry and coaches). Best of luck Bray. Onward and upward, Rhody!
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Wonder if there will be any other player fall-out after the season.
Except Ish listens to the coach, has a good attitude, and doesn't bitch on twitter about the coach lol
Yes very different personalities.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

spar wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Why should Archie take some of the blame? Should he just accept insubordination? Is that how things go in 2023?
+100

Saw this one coming unfortunately. Home opener and I was getting my first glimpse of the squad. Couldn't help but notice Freeman constantly up on the bench, turned around and interacting with what appeared to be family/friends. It was essentially him showing his displeasure for not getting into the game (shrugging, shaking his head, etc). I'm by no means saying the kid can't be annoyed/frustrated, but that shows a big lack of maturity to be dealing with it in that manner (especially with it being one of the first games of the year).

It's unfortunate, and while we certainly need his scoring in the short term, it certainly doesn't outweigh the long-term downsides with him (inconsistent/lazy defense, hero ball and a what appears to be a general attitude problem in multiple areas, which will undoubtedly cause issues with the team chemistry and coaches). Best of luck Bray. Onward and upward, Rhody!
This right here ^^^

Keeping him on the team, even if he's really talented, could be a big problem long-term. You don't want a toxic locker room.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

He absolutely shouldn’t accept insubordination.

But freeman didn’t end up here by accident, Archie recruited him. Same with Harris.

Coach is also accountable for the guys he brings in
5 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hate to say it but this staff has not lived up to its reputation as recruiters. Of the 8 players they brought in do any excite you?
Must do much better with 2nd class.
7 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

But freeman didn’t end up here by accident, Archie recruited him. Same with Harris.

They were also KJ recruits
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This is the equivalent of:

No one is above the Law.

There is a new Sheriff in town, and incessant bitching need not apply.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Not boxing out FT shooter in last game mightve been last straw.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

They were also KJ recruits
Yea I don’t mean to be singling out Archie. Whole coaching staff is responsible. Archie is the head coach though and ultimately gets to say yes or no to everything.

A leader has to both accept accountability has much as they get to relish in victory
1 x