The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Cox is here for another year unless there is a total collapse or he decides to leave. Seems to me BC (where he played) is a better fit for Schmidt. Don't expect Cox to recruit anyone of great quality in his last contract year.
NCAA this year or he does not make his last contract year. 4 years will be it.
You sound pretty confident in that statement.
Is this what you are hoping for or do you have inside information and direct communication with Thorr?
Personally I have no idea what the administration is thinking.
I just don't feel it is that clear cut for Thorr.
You may be right, I don't know.

The Bonnies and Richmond had their whole team back, plus some of the other top tier A10 teams had strong rosters.
We were picked to finish 5-8 by most "experts".
If Thorr gave Cox that ultimatum, It would of been easier to just fire him after going 10-15 last season.
Not with 2 years left.
No extension, no pay increase. WBB HC got extension and pay increase.

It’s not rocket surgery.

4 years in, transfers immediately eligible - no excuses now.

I don’t think it’s so much an ultimatum. The goal for URI is to make the NCAA Tournament. We have not been close for 3 years. Terrible year last season.
This is year 4. HC has all his own players.

Look at George Mason last season making a change.

This is the make of break year. Just as I see it and read the no extension, no salary increase and team performance signs.

I’m optimistic still that we go 25-6. We are 7th of 350 teams in defensive shooting % allowed at 36.45%…….and 17th of 350 teams in offensive shooting percentage at 49.47%. We can win the A10.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-m ... t/team/148
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

NCAA this year or he does not make his last contract year. 4 years will be it.
You sound pretty confident in that statement.
Is this what you are hoping for or do you have inside information and direct communication with Thorr?
Personally I have no idea what the administration is thinking.
I just don't feel it is that clear cut for Thorr.
You may be right, I don't know.

The Bonnies and Richmond had their whole team back, plus some of the other top tier A10 teams had strong rosters.
We were picked to finish 5-8 by most "experts".
If Thorr gave Cox that ultimatum, It would of been easier to just fire him after going 10-15 last season.
Not with 2 years left.
No extension, no pay increase. WBB HC got extension and pay increase.

It’s not rocket surgery.

4 years in, transfers immediately eligible - no excuses now.

I don’t think it’s so much an ultimatum. The goal for URI is to make the NCAA Tournament. We have not been close for 3 years. Terrible year last season.
This is year 4. HC has all his own players.

Look at George Mason last season making a change.

This is the make of break year. Just as I see it and read the no extension, no salary increase and team performance signs.

I’m optimistic still that we go 25-6. We are 7th of 350 teams in defensive shooting % allowed and 17th of 350 teams in offensive shooting percentage. We can win the A10.
Of course the goal is for an NCAAT bid and win the A10, that is what it always should be.

The question is whether or not Thorr will see enough improvement and talent in this team to get us there sooner than starting a complete rebuild with a new roster and staff.

I guess we will find out after this season.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Thorr is waiting for Cox to figure it out, then we might as well give up any hope of returning to the NCAA's. For a LONG while.

Sorry, that's the way I feel.

The jury foreman is clearing his throat, the verdict is in, imo.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, those stats you mention, sure they look good now, but they have been compiled against shit teams.

I doubt those numbers will remain as lofty as they currently are, once we start conference play.

25-6....I want some of what you're smoking!

Yeah the conference isn't that good, but those coaches know Cox's tendencies and will exploit them, sure as hell.
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If Thorr is waiting for Cox to figure it out, then we might as well give up any hope of returning to the NCAA's. For a LONG while.

Sorry, that's the way I feel.

The jury foreman is clearing his throat, the verdict is in, imo.
Yes Rambone we all know how you feel, I was wondering how long it would take you to get in on this.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

77, we've played 13 games...the sample size is big enough by now.....the shit will hit the fan starting with Dayton.

Hell, Brown will not be a pushover.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 77, we've played 13 games...the sample size is big enough by now.....the shit will hit the fan starting with Dayton.

Hell, Brown will not be a pushover.
How we perform in the A10 will answer a lot of questions.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Stupid to have this argument now. Results at season end will give us a much better idea.

Jersey77 said it well. Seems to obvious to some here that cutting bait is the right move, suffer for 2-3 years and hopefully you hired the right guy to be relevant again. That’s a much tougher pill to swallow as an AD. If Cox makes significant year over year progress with this roster he then gets most of it back next year. Why would an AD think it’s a good idea to flush that progress down the toilet?

Anyways - it comes down to how we think this season finishes. Enjoy the ride for now
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago ramster, those stats you mention, sure they look good now, but they have been compiled against shit teams.

I doubt those numbers will remain as lofty as they currently are, once we start conference play.

25-6....I want some of what you're smoking!

Yeah the conference isn't that good, but those coaches know Cox's tendencies and will exploit them, sure as hell.
Exactly, our numbers look great because we've played bums and have had tremendous luck with when we've played teams. Our opponents so far average 168 in the KenPom and 192 in the NET, a truly garbage schedule. Then take a deeper look past the numbers. Second game of the year Bryant sat out their best player. Georgia State barely fielded a team of scholarship players because of injuries and Covid. Sacred Heart was without their second best player. Once we get into the A10 schedule, which by the way isn't exactly a murderer's row this year, we're going to find our true level and it's not 7th in defensive shooting percentage allowed and 17th in offensive shooting percentage
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I predicted 19-12 and based on what I have seen in the first 11 games I think I would up the prediction to 20 or 21 wins

If we go 22-9 or better I will be very surprised
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Stupid to have this argument now. Results at season end will give us a much better idea.

Jersey77 said it well. Seems to obvious to some here that cutting bait is the right move, suffer for 2-3 years and hopefully you hired the right guy to be relevant again. That’s a much tougher pill to swallow as an AD. If Cox makes significant year over year progress with this roster he then gets most of it back next year. Why would an AD think it’s a good idea to flush that progress down the toilet?

Anyways - it comes down to how we think this season finishes. Enjoy the ride for now
Agree. Much easier to predict at season end.