The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Cox gets criticism and the clapback is yeah, well Hurley ain’t shit either!! You’re not slick :-)
Not true at all.
I only attached that article because of the coaches that are considered on the hotseat and possibly opportunities opening up.
I am not here to defend Cox; he can do that by start winning some games that matter.

Look I have been very critical of some of Cox's decisions and very disappointing in our team's play.

Seeing Bobby's name on the hotseat is not surprising, has been brought up several times.
The only reason Dan's is even there as Safe for Now, is because of the high expectations for that program.
Being a HC of a P6 school (especially UConn) as the Hurley's are, comes with more stress and probably a shorter leash.
It should because their compensation is so much more.

This absolutely should not turn into a Cox vs. Hurley debate, that is ridiculous.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago DAN Hurley is on that list? The guy that got UConn back to the Tournament last year and has them ranked this year despite a rash of injuries? lol
Dan Hurley is on the list and David Cox isn't. Tells me everything I need to know about the quality of it
On top of that...conveniently lost in all of this is the context. What's the direction of their program? Trending up or down?

Hurley inherited a declining program from Ollie. Not a rebuild like he was given here, but certainly not a championship caliber program from the jump.

Cox inherited a built A-10 powerhouse with all-conference talent at both guard spots and in the front court. A top 25 recruiting class. High level pre-season tournaments with solid OOC opponents.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago DAN Hurley is on that list? The guy that got UConn back to the Tournament last year and has them ranked this year despite a rash of injuries? lol
Dan Hurley is on the list and David Cox isn't. Tells me everything I need to know about the quality of it
On top of that...conveniently lost in all of this is the context. What's the direction of their program? Trending up or down?

Hurley inherited a declining program from Ollie. Not a rebuild like he was given here, but certainly not a championship caliber program from the jump.

Cox inherited a built A-10 powerhouse with all-conference talent at both guard spots and in the front court. A top 25 recruiting class. High level pre-season tournaments with solid OOC opponents.
Many seem to miss the point and still trying to turn this into a Cox/Hurley discussion.

But give me a break Blue Man, no need to overexaggerate, we weren't an A10 powerhouse team in 2018-2019 and our recruiting class finished at #50 (247) not top 25. It wasn't loaded with any blue chippers, just 1 consensus 4*.
You make it sound like Cox inherited a team similar to what Harrick came into, not even remotely close.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Many seem to miss the point and still trying to turn this into a Cox/Hurley discussion.

But give me a break Blue Man, no need to overexaggerate, we weren't an A10 powerhouse team in 2018-2019 and our recruiting class finished at #50 (247) not #25. It wasn't loaded with any blue chippers, just 1 consensus 4*.
You make it sound like Cox inherited a team similar to what Harrick came into, not even remotely close.
Dave Cox could've AT A MINIMUM made the NIT that season if he had just kept Jeff as the point guard and let him run the offense.

Dan Hurley would've taken that team to the NCAA tournament.

I am certainly not saying that team was the '98 team, the '17 or '18 team, or anything close. I don't think anyone is saying that. But that team was better than being barely .500.

We were coming off of back to back NCAAT wins, a conference title and regular season title. That's a powerhouse program in the A-10. Had we kept our coach, the expectation would've been a top 4 finish in the A-10. Honestly if Hurley were still here, in/out that would be the expectation. In fact, I remember a press conference where a newly minted head coach said something about the "bar" for this program was A-10 championships and NCAA invites - ya know, because the program he was inheriting was built to do such a thing year in and year out....but I digress.

And you're correct the rankings changed when Adams followed Hurley and Cox replaced him with SIlverio. Point being 2 3 stars and a 4 star recruit isn't a bare cupboard, when paired with all-conference talent at 3 positions.

Cox didn't inherit a 2nd weekend NCAA team, but he did inherit a team that was capable of the NIT or NCAA bubble.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah having DH on any kind of list like that is an utter embarrassment
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Yeah having DH on any kind of list like that is an utter embarrassment
Even more than that it invalidates the list and the person who made the list.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Just like the regular news and so called journalists - no one wants to do the real work and get the real stories.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Yeah having DH on any kind of list like that is an utter embarrassment
UCONN is currently #11 in NET and 8-1

How can the Head Coach of a team with these stats be on a list of Coaches who might be in trouble?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
UCONN is currently #11 in NET and 8-1

How can the Head Coach of a team with these stats be on a list of Coaches who might be in trouble?
Yeah, it is difficult to justify why they included Dan Hurley's name in there, even at the bottom "Safe for Now".
I guess according to their logic, you can probably add most P6 coaches to that list.

Supposedly their Database is updated every week, his name should probably be removed from it.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

But give me a break Blue Man, no need to overexaggerate, we weren't an A10 powerhouse team in 2018-2019 and our recruiting class finished at #50 (247) not top 25. It wasn't loaded with any blue chippers, just 1 consensus 4*.
People also seem to forget that DH took cox’s best player. That didn’t help things. Is there anyone here who thinks this team wouldn’t have been better with Martin on it?
Last edited by CaptainRon 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tyrese Martin, the person who didn't play under Hurley at all and played their first two years under Cox and transferred because he wanted to play at a higher level and felt he wasn't developing enough under Cox?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Tyrese Martin, the person who didn't play under Hurley at all and played their first two years under Cox and transferred because he wanted to play at a higher level and felt he wasn't developing enough under Cox?
Of course, a much bigger stage, more high profiled games, and a better staff.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

IMO, Bobby is a better basketball coach than Dan.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago IMO, Bobby is a better basketball coach than Dan.
IMO, you just further proved how much of an idiot you are.

Didn’t think it was possible to post this much on a basketball message board and have less than zero knowledge about the game.

There’s being a troll, and then there’s being you.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I've figured it out! You're actually RhodyNYCT's 80 year old basketball "expert" that hates on good coaches....
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
IMO, you just further proved how much of an idiot you are.

Didn’t think it was possible to post this much on a basketball message board and have less than zero knowledge about the game.

There’s being a troll, and then there’s being you.
C'mon he just threw that out there to get a reaction.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Tyrese Martin, the person who didn't play under Hurley at all and played their first two years under Cox and transferred because he wanted to play at a higher level and felt he wasn't developing enough under Cox?
The comment before it was edited incorrectly said that Hurley took Cox’s best player when he left. He didn’t take any players when he left, unless you want to count Adams. Tyrese, Dana, and Jermaine were lobbying hard for Cox to get the job.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Whoa...72 now teetering dangerously close to his infamous worst take line of all time. He's really pushing himself for greatness.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
I've figured it out! You're actually RhodyNYCT's 80 year old basketball "expert" that hates on good coaches....
I never expressed or implied that Dan was a bad coach, but Bobby is a better coach and is paid a little bit more than Dan. Dan is a better defensive coach, but Bobby is a far better offensive coach.
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Interesting take given it seems Dan is building UConn back to perennial ranked program and Bobby’s job is likely in jeopardy. But in all other ways I can see what you’re saying. :roll:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Interesting take given it seems Dan is building UConn back to perennial ranked program and Bobby’s job is likely in jeopardy. But in all other ways I can see what you’re saying. :roll:
Todays NET

UCONN 10
Fordham 170
Arizona State 221

:o
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
The comment before it was edited incorrectly said that Hurley took Cox’s best player when he left. He didn’t take any players when he left, unless you want to count Adams. Tyrese, Dana, and Jermaine were lobbying hard for Cox to get the job.
Yea, I worded it wrong and when I reread the post I realized it and fixed it. Wasn’t sure anybody had seen it, but you are correct.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Bobby has been a surprise...in the wrong direction.

I'd still take him here though. I think he could thrive at this level.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Turgeon's name will be mentioned with almost every opening after this season.
10 NCAAT (would've been 11 if 2020 not cancelled) including 2 Sweet 16's.
Took 3 different teams to the NCAAT, plus finished tied for 1st in the B10 in 2020.

I still say that if Kansas State and Weber part ways, that would be a great landing spot for him.
A Midwest guy, successful at Wichita State and also at Texas A&M.
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Bobby has been a surprise...in the wrong direction.

I'd still take him here though. I think he could thrive at this level.
I think i’d take Archie over Bobby but i’m not 100% sold on both. Based on what i have seen i’d take either over DC unless DC figures it out by the end of this season! Archie at least proved it at Dayton for a longer period and against better competition. IU and AZ state were mediocre at best with each coach. i would argue in Bobby’s defense that AZ state is a tougher gig for success.

I still think we try to find a Hurley type coach that is an up and coming coach. I’d argue against that if Pitino was available but that is not an option.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

What do we think about King Rice? He’s not exactly young. But he has made Monmouth relevant at times and has recruited above his conf level. They played St Johns tough last night. Tho we supposedly beat St Johns in a not so secret scrimmage.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago What do we think about King Rice? He’s not exactly young. But he has made Monmouth relevant at times and has recruited above his conf level. They played St Johns tough last night. Tho we supposedly beat St Johns in a not so secret scrimmage.
I don't think he's led them to a bid once right? I think we can do better.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago What do we think about King Rice? He’s not exactly young. But he has made Monmouth relevant at times and has recruited above his conf level. They played St Johns tough last night. Tho we supposedly beat St Johns in a not so secret scrimmage.
Not Happening.
If and when there is an opening here, doubtful he would ever be seriously considered.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That doesn’t bother me as much in a one-bid conference, but I guess it can be kind of a harder sell. His teams have won the conference three times, they just couldn’t win the conference tournament. Rice has messed up a couple times (haven’t we all) but has always seems to acknowledge his personal mistakes and answer for them. I would love Bashir Mason to get a chance at a higher level job somewhere, probably not URI, though. He’s in his 10th year as a head coach and is still only 37. It’s been really fun to watch his growth as a head coach.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That doesn’t bother me as much in a one-bid conference, but I guess it can be kind of a harder sell. His teams have won the conference three times, they just couldn’t win the conference tournament. Rice has messed up a couple times (haven’t we all) but has always seems to acknowledge his personal mistakes and answer for them. I would love Bashir Mason to get a chance at a higher level job somewhere, probably not URI, though. He’s in his 10th year as a head coach and is still only 37. It’s been really fun to watch his growth as a head coach.
I like Bashir Mason and also Dennis Gates(Cleveland State), as 2 young coaches that will probably get an opportunity to move up soon.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rice got really close - Monmouth was a 1-seed in the NIT in the 2015-2016 season
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

Rice got really close - Monmouth was a 1-seed in the NIT in the 2015-2016 season
Rice is a good coach.
He is already 53 (many years older than some mentioned) but I don't think he would be a good fit here.
Thorr wouldn't fire Cox just to hire King Rice.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

And, they had really fun bench celebrations. Will Leviton would have fit in well with that group!
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Missed the boat with Ryan Odom. I have spent some time with Jeff Boals when he was at Stony Brook and he is very good. Carmen Maciariello is a name we hear in the Tri-State as an up and comer. I think James Jones would be a home run. Long Island guy who is of the highest quality. Bright, well respected and a heck of coach. The job he has done at Yale is very impressive.

Luke Murray please if we go with an assistant coach!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Missed the boat with Ryan Odom. I have spent some time with Jeff Boals when he was at Stony Brook and he is very good. Carmen Maciariello is a name we hear in the Tri-State as an up and comer. I think James Jones would be a home run. Long Island guy who is of the highest quality. Bright, well respected and a heck of coach. The job he has done at Yale is very impressive.

Luke Murray please if we go with an assistant coach!
No thanks with Luke but it was fun to see his dad at the games.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….gotta say here for me, this time around, URI needs a coach with decent success at the D1 level…….no more OJT here, no more mentoring……..someone that has track record above 500 at the D1 level……..there is a time for hiring the young assistant, not now, not us…….we can’t go with someone that needs time to figure it out……..I am OK with someone looking to move up…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I don’t think someone in a 1 bid league not making the tourney us a strike against them. Ahem, Dan had never made a tourney when we hired him. What you are looking for is a perceived ceiling, not just what they have actually achieved to date. Not saying Rice fits that just saying.

I get leery of guys from Ivies (ie Jones) even tho I think he has done a great job there. There are inherent factors to recruiting to Yale that aren’t present at URI. I just get reminded of that Cornell guy who won big and went to BC and bombed.

I also am leery of P6 assistants with shortish stints at highly successful programs. They can be like offensive coordinators for Brady and Manning; is it them or the talent/program they are associated with. There are def some great assistants out there but something to be mindful of.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

So, Tyrese was lobbying for Cox, tried it and then decided to follow DH to UConn. Not exactly a positive for Cox and the loyalty of Tyrese (and others)
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago

So, Tyrese was lobbying for Cox, tried it and then decided to follow DH to UConn. Not exactly a positive for Cox and the loyalty of Tyrese (and others)
IIRC, slimy slithering snake had a clause written into Cox's contract that if URI didn't promote Cox he'd be entitled to a six-figure payout. Said clause was passed off as a means of keeping Cox on board in case he became the hot assistant du jour.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago

IIRC, slimy slithering snake had a clause written into Cox's contract that if URI didn't promote Cox he'd be entitled to a six-figure payout. Said clause was passed off as a means of keeping Cox on board in case he became the hot assistant du jour.
It was a $150,000 buyout, but in fairness, it's not like Dan snuck into Mackal one night and altered the contract to unilaterally give Cox that buyout if he wasn't elevated to head coach. Thorr agreed to that clause
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Mark Schmidt would be an interesting choice.

GO RHODY!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Grant McCasland - North Texas
Joe Pasternak - UC Santa Barbara
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Please...not one of the NOHEHOH bros
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

brady1 wrote: 2 years ago Mark Schmidt would be an interesting choice.

GO RHODY!
He would, except for the fact that his next job will be in the Cartel.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

You would think so, but there have been plenty of those openings the past couple years while he has been a known commodity and yet he is still with the Bonnies. Makes you wonder why. I agree, I think he's a very good coach and would love to have him, but why dont the big boys agree?

Isnt he from Attleboro? He might love to be close to friends and family here at Rhody.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago You would think so, but there have been plenty of those openings the past couple years while he has been a known commodity and yet he is still with the Bonnies. Makes you wonder why. I agree, I think he's a very good coach and would love to have him, but why dont the big boys agree?

Isnt he from Attleboro? He might love to be close to friends and family here at Rhody.
Maybe the timing would be right for him to come here after this season.

The Bonnies are a senior dominated team and are likely to make the NCAA tourney this season.

Next season they might not be as good.

And of course, we might be looking for a new coach.

If he's looking to make one more move until he retires, maybe here would be a good fit for him. He doesn't seem gung ho to move up either.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Cox is here for another year unless there is a total collapse or he decides to leave. Seems to me BC (where he played) is a better fit for Schmidt. Don't expect Cox to recruit anyone of great quality in his last contract year.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Cox is here for another year unless there is a total collapse or he decides to leave. Seems to me BC (where he played) is a better fit for Schmidt. Don't expect Cox to recruit anyone of great quality in his last contract year.
NCAA this year or he does not make his last contract year. 4 years will be it.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster is right.

Either he gets a short extension or he's gone after this season.

There's no in between.

However I'm not sure that he's fired if he doesn't make the tourney. I would like to think so, but I still think he'll get a short extension if there's a big improvement by the end of this season.

Baron got a short extension because he made the NIT and advanced to the semis.

I'm not saying that Cox has to do that, only because I don't trust URI to do the right thing and let him go.

He's not making any tourney this year though, imho. I've got a better chance of seeing God than we have of making the Dance this season.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Cox is here for another year unless there is a total collapse or he decides to leave. Seems to me BC (where he played) is a better fit for Schmidt. Don't expect Cox to recruit anyone of great quality in his last contract year.
NCAA this year or he does not make his last contract year. 4 years will be it.
You sound pretty confident in that statement.
Is this what you are hoping for or do you have inside information and direct communication with Thorr?
Personally I have no idea what the administration is thinking.
I just don't feel it is that clear cut for Thorr.
You may be right, I don't know.

The Bonnies and Richmond had their whole team back, plus some of the other top tier A10 teams had strong rosters.
We were picked to finish 5-8 by most "experts".
If Thorr gave Cox that ultimatum, It would of been easier to just fire him after going 10-15 last season.