Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

bigappleram wrote:Glad to see he is getting his cup of coffee. A huge moment for any kid that grew up loving the game.
Still question why we ran all our offense through him considering the dynamic talent we had on that 8 win team.
Stupid Hurley
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Glad to see he is getting his cup of coffee. A huge moment for any kid that grew up loving the game.
Still question why we ran all our offense through him considering the dynamic talent we had on that 8 win team.
Stupid Hurley
Memphis has a good record but loaded with injuries. Good opportunity for X.
And his success is coming as a Point Guard, not a 2 or Shooting Guard
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Like X from the first time I saw him.
One of my all time favorite Rams.
Conducted himself as a gentlemen.
Happy for him.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Like X from the first time I saw him.
One of my all time favorite Rams.
Conducted himself as a gentlemen.
Happy for him.
You were absolutely right about X from the beginning, no doubt about it.
Great to see him moving up in the professional ranks.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Stupid Hurley
Awesome job by X. Really happy to see a guy give up some big money in Europe catch his dream.

If you are being snarky, though, this just may prove that Hurley didn't use him well. Senior year X had Gil, frosh EC, and Reischel (maybe he wasn't being used properly?). Not exactly 1990 UNLV but not without offensive talent. And X put up one of the least efficient seasons you possibly can. I thought he was just a volume guy but it's clear that he is a much, much more complete player than I thought. Like I said, maybe it is stupid Hurley. Running weave after weave as the shot clock ran down and then letting X improvise with 8 seconds left is not an offense. At least on the offensive side of the ball. He's 2x assist to TO now. He was under 1.O at Rhody. His shooting is night and day.

These posts should be all about X but, like I said, if you are being snarky, you should dig a little deeper.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And if you watched any of those games instead of just coming on here only after losses you would have seen that at the beginning of the year EC wasn't yet EC, and Gil and Reischel weren't giving us a whole lot, so X was the only guy we could actually count on to score. And that as the season went on and EC got more comfortable, X started to defer to him. That team, outside of X and 2nd half EC really was pretty devoid of offensive talent.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:And if you watched any of those games instead of just coming on here only after losses you would have seen that at the beginning of the year EC wasn't yet EC, and Gil and Reischel weren't giving us a whole lot, so X was the only guy we could actually count on to score. And that as the season went on and EC got more comfortable, X started to defer to him. That team, outside of X and 2nd half EC really was pretty devoid of offensive talent.
I love you keep sticking with that.

Gil was BE rookie of the year and Reischel has turned into an offensive monster (after DH said he was one in his off year). Why is it so hard to believe that DH has part of his coaching skill set that just isn't great. Empirically, this is absolutely true. Even if you don't want to believe the eye test.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Gil didn't improve a ton over the course of his college career. Kinda plateaued. His Jr year here was certainly a disappointment. You might be able to argue that some of that is on Hurley. I think Hurley did a great job in turning Gil into a very valuable player during his Sr year. During his Jr year, if you recall, Gil couldn't play more than 8 consecutive minutes without picking up two fouls. I don't really blame the coach for that.

GBG, your implication that if Hurley was a better coach he would have turned Reischel into "an offensive monster" at the A10 level tells me all I need to know about your ability to analyze college hoops.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Back on topic, congrats to Xavier! Hope he can stick for a little bit - maybe get a 2nd 10-day contract? In any case, tremendous accomplishment and great to see him succeed
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

the inference about Reischel is an all-time classic...look out '72 he's coming in hot.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gonebarongone wrote:I thought he was just a volume guy but it's clear that he is a much, much more complete player than I thought . . . He's 2x assist to TO now. He was under 1.O at Rhody. His shooting is night and day.
You don't think this could possibly be because the talent around him was not good? I mean, an assist is only something you can control to a certain point. Turnovers and shooting percentage would probably be worse for a guy that is forced to have the ball in his hands all the time and take the lion's share of shots because the rest of his team isn't good, right? So maybe the you're overstating what he had around him just a bit?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:the inference about Reischel is an all-time classic...look out '72 he's coming in hot.
You don't look at what he is doing now, what DH said about him before he played at URI, and conclude that he was even misused a bit?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:I thought he was just a volume guy but it's clear that he is a much, much more complete player than I thought . . . He's 2x assist to TO now. He was under 1.O at Rhody. His shooting is night and day.
You don't think this could possibly be because the talent around him was not good? I mean, an assist is only something you can control to a certain point. Turnovers and shooting percentage would probably be worse for a guy that is forced to have the ball in his hands all the time and take the lion's share of shots because the rest of his team isn't good, right? So maybe the you're overstating what he had around him just a bit?
No doubt. This is confirmation bias on my part and certainly not provable at this point but it's just another piece of the discussion. I don't know how you all can just blindly defend the offense. It's mind boggling. It has never been good. And the scheme has never changed. At some point, blaming execution rings hollow.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I think what happened with Reischel was DH took a flier on him because he needed to fill roster spots, and JR surely had some talent. It never materialized in games, and there is not one player who was given more minutes on those teams that I think JR should have played over.

Did he reach his potential at URI? No. No argument there. I'm just putting a bit more of the emphasis on the idea that perhaps JR wasn't skilled enough to be an "offensive monster" at the A10 level, as opposed to Hurley not utilizing him properly. JR got out on the wing in transition plenty when he was with URI, which is where I would guess your argument would be that he should have been better utilized. Probably had a turnover rate of 40% and a fg% of 30% in those situations. Wasn't good enough to perform at a high level against A10 competition.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

First NBA player since Robinson?
GO RAMS
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Gonebarongone wrote: No doubt. This is confirmation bias on my part and certainly not provable at this point but it's just another piece of the discussion. I don't know how you all can just blindly defend the offense. It's mind boggling. It has never been good. And the scheme has never changed. At some point, blaming execution rings hollow.
Our offense might not have been aesthetically pleasing this season, but we were far from bad. Middle of the pack as far as efficiency numbers go, which is a helluva accomplishment given what we lost.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
No doubt. This is confirmation bias on my part and certainly not provable at this point but it's just another piece of the discussion. I don't know how you all can just blindly defend the offense. It's mind boggling. It has never been good. And the scheme has never changed. At some point, blaming execution rings hollow.
OK, but that isn't what I am doing, really. I offered no opinion about the design of the offense, with or without X on the team. I'm just saying, whether the offense was good or not, X's efficiency at URI was almost certainly impacted negatively by what he had around him.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Our KenPom numbers were near Top 100 all year - without our best offensive player. There is reason to expect all offensive metrics would have risen with someone of ECs talent in his 3rd season on the court. You always cited Top 100 offense and Top 50 defense as the realistic goals...aren't we getting closer?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Xavier might have a pretty good chance to stay around or at least contribute. The only point guards Memphis has right now are Briante Weber (VCU) and Ray Mccallum (Detroit)
He might be better than them...
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

anyone interested in watching, the game is here http://wiz1.net/channel75
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

He did not play. Makes sense. He just got there today
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

X got 11 minute tonight. Had two points. He's on the board!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Awesome
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Rhodymob05 wrote:First NBA player since Robinson?
He was on a regular season roster? I don't remember this.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think he only played preseason with the Clippers. Don't thinking ever played regular season.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The WVU ouster ends the seemingly 10 year college career of Jonathan Holton. The answer to the trivia question...

Name the only player recruited to URI by Jim Baron to ever play an NCAA Tournament game?
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Psyched for Munford!!!! Slash em up X!!!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote:The WVU ouster ends the seemingly 10 year college career of Jonathan Holton. The answer to the trivia question...

Name the only player recruited to URI by Jim Baron to ever play an NCAA Tournament game?

There has to be others, right?
Didn't Shengalia make it while at Albany?
Did Holm ever end up in the NCAA tourny? I saw he is now on staff with Lonegran at GW.
Do guys like Kyle Cain and Trashon Burrell count? Did either actually enroll??
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bos8, I was restricting it to only guys that actually suited up for the Rams. So that knocks Cain and Burrell out.
From what I can tell Holm was sitting out the 2004-05 season for UVM when they went to the tourney. The next two years they did not.
Not sure on Shengalia but I dont think so.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Akeem Richmond won a CIT tournament at East Carolina, so there's that.

I also won a football national title coaching ECU, in NCAA 2013 on XBOX.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote:Bos8, I was restricting it to only guys that actually suited up for the Rams. So that knocks Cain and Burrell out.
From what I can tell Holm was sitting out the 2004-05 season for UVM when they went to the tourney. The next two years they did not.
Not sure on Shengalia but I dont think so.
I know Shengalia was on the Albany team that won their first four game. I don't think he was playing much though, and eventually transferred to an NAIA school Georgetown College- the same school Gerald Coleman from PC and URI verbal committ Dominique Bull were at.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Zah-vee-ay is an interesting way to pronounce Xavier, but good dunk for X!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

A severely undermanned Memphis team just beat the Clippers 113-102. X had 7 points in 19 minutes of action.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Keep it up X!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Go go go X
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Robinson never made an NBA roster. Great news for X. The NBADL is low salaries, long bus rides, bad food and empty arenas. A 10 day contract in the NBA can run $100,000
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Actually about $6,400 per game.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Tyson Wheeler had a cup of coffee, maybe one game?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Looks to be about approx 50K for the 10 day period.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

No matter how much X makes or how long he stays, he will always be able to say he made it the show.
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That's great. Some good stories. And Tyson has the highest FG % in NBA history!
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

A bunch of Moonlight Grahams. Imagine your first defensive assignment t being Shaq. Ouch. I think Tyson landed with the wrong team. Lacked size but had skills.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

In today's NBA, with what Curry is doing, an undersized guard with great ball skills would get a longer look. He had 4 points and 2 assists in 3 minutes of NBA action, I mean that's efficiency!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Brian, thanks for posting that. Really interesting. Great seeing Tyson in the URI jersey!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

X has now played in 4 games, with his best being 20 minutes and scoring 7 points in a loss to the Clippers.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

TruePoint wrote:X has now played in 4 games, with his best being 20 minutes and scoring 7 points in a loss to the Clippers.
I may have picked him up on my NBA fantasy team. Feels good to have a URI player on my team.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Only got three minutes against the Lakers. Don't know if he got to play on the court at the same time as Kobe though.
The grizz signed Jordan Farmar so his minutes went down a lot.
Hope he can get some more time so he can go make some plays and stay around a little longer