The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Re: The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I think Mooney leaves after this year. He’ll be graduating 80% of his team. Great way to go out.

See: Hurley, Daniel
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-5-24-21/

Looks like Sutton has landed at FGCU
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Coach K done after next season, with Jon Scheyer leading candidate to replace him.
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Coach K done after next season, with Jon Scheyer leading candidate to replace him.
I know that's the word on the street but I can't help but feel it's Brad Stevens job to lose.
Why would you go for an unproven Dukie when you could have one of the greatest basketball minds in the game willing to come to NC?
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Coach K done after next season, with Jon Scheyer leading candidate to replace him.
I know that's the word on the street but I can't help but feel it's Brad Stevens job to lose.
Why would you go for an unproven Dukie when you could have one of the greatest basketball minds in the game willing to come to NC?
Because Brad Stevens said he's burned out coaching and is moving to the Celtics FO as part of their succession plan for Ainge.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
Because Brad Stevens said he's burned out coaching and is moving to the Celtics FO as part of their succession plan for Ainge.
Brad Stevens is also only 44 years old. Is there anyone who really believes that he's hanging up the coaching shoes for good? I give it 3 years max and he'll be back on the bench somewhere, if not Duke than Kansas or another blue-blood. He's the one guy who can basically pick any school and say "That's where I want to go."
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago

Brad Stevens is also only 44 years old. Is there anyone who really believes that he's hanging up the coaching shoes for good? I give it 3 years max and he'll be back on the bench somewhere, if not Duke than Kansas or another blue-blood. He's the one guy who can basically pick any school and say "That's where I want to go."
You think he won't get another NBA coaching job if he gets tired of FO work? As Woj pointed out when the Indiana rumors started, nobody voluntarily leaves the NBA and Stevens was far from being fired.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I guess the Bobby Hurley record at ASU, has taken him out of the Duke job consideration......even if he was under any consideration......one of those returning to the fame as player that doesn’t work out.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

I guess Pops couldn't leverage this job for Bobby, No St. Anthony miracle this time. Now the mercenary family needs to prepare for the next move when Bobby is fired at the end of next season.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

No need to speculate anymore, Scheyer officially is coach in waiting. Duke twitter account just put it out.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Duke pretty much named Scheyer coach in waiting so he is probably there for at least 5 years unless he falls flat on his face

I was a bit surprised about Brad moving upstairs but I agree it won’t be more than 3 years before he gets the itch to coach again whether in college or pro especially if the Celts don’t improve
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago I guess Pops couldn't leverage this job for Bobby, No St. Anthony miracle this time. Now the mercenary family needs to prepare for the next move when Bobby is fired at the end of next season.
This wouldn't be the right time for him, anyway. You never want to be the man who follows The Man, because you'll inevitably fall short.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Random thought on Todd Bozeman. I hope he is a little bit of a disciplinarian.. something as trivial as pregame warmups and after 1st half warmups. Let's tighten those up a bit and look a little bit more organized.. just the anal part of my personality.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

not yet...he knows that you don't want to be the guy that follows the legend, you want to be the guy that follows the guy that came after the legend.
eta...didn't see Red's post...but, yeah that
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….nice problem to have…….selecting a coach following a legend…….wish we could have that problem…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Interesting. Penny was rumored to be taking an NBA job. Not only is he staying at Memphis. He has a new assistant coach.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Larry Brown going to be 81
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Please stop me from working to be with my family and friends when I get to 70 (or sooner…. Definitely not 81!)
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 3 years ago Please stop me from working to be with my family and friends when I get to 70 (or sooner…. Definitely not 81!)
Yes, I don't get it.

I got pushed out at 65 and they probably did me a favor.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 3 years ago Please stop me from working to be with my family and friends when I get to 70 (or sooner…. Definitely not 81!)
Yes, I don't get it.

I retired involuntarily at 64 and feel the same way. I suppose I could’ve had a bigger ssa check but it's not a big deal.
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Yes, I don't get it.

I retired involuntarily at 64 and feel the same way. I suppose I could’ve had a bigger ssa check but it's not a big deal.
Same here...at 63.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Larry is a basketball lifer I guess
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Joe Biden is 78, will be 81 in his 4th year
Bernie Sanders is 79
Nancy Pelosi is 81

Tougher jobs than being an assistant basketball coach I’d think.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Bernie Sanders is 79
Nancy Pelosi is 81

Well
1) Larry Brown has gotten paid substantially more than those politicians over his life time.
2) Politicians works on 2, 4, and 6 year term lengths. Coaches get fired all the time, regardless of contract status.

Larry must really dislike his family life to stay in coaching at his age. (Or maybe the family prefers him out on the road instead of with them.)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Bernie Sanders is 79
Nancy Pelosi is 81

Well
1) Larry Brown has gotten paid substantially more than those politicians over his life time.
2) Politicians works on 2, 4, and 6 year term lengths. Coaches get fired all the time, regardless of contract status.

Larry must really dislike his family life to stay in coaching at his age. (Or maybe the family prefers him out on the road instead of with them.)
What has the amount of money they have made over their lifetime got yo do with working until 80? Neither Brown, Biden, Pelosi or Sanders need the money.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Mike Rhoades rewarded with extension, it will probably be his decision if there is a coaching change at VCU in the near future.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pitino making things happen in a post covid environment

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Pitino making things happen in a post covid environment

Post COVID?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats to him kid has a good resume coming from Florida
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

College basketball coaches on the Hot Seat (updated 10/22)
Matt McCall (UMass) and Chris Mooney (Richmond) mentioned from the A10
Bobby Hurley's name also keeps popping up.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago College basketball coaches on the Hot Seat (updated 10/22)

…….just wondering……..think any fans on those teams fan boards are suggesting they have a current waiting in the wings A-10 Coach of the Year…….?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago College basketball coaches on the Hot Seat (updated 10/22)

…….just wondering……..think any fans on those teams fan boards are suggesting they have a current waiting in the wings A-10 Coach of the Year…….?
105, you may want to update your thread to The 2022 Coaching Carousel.
I am sure once the season starts in a few weeks, there will be much discussion on possible coaching changes.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'll take Bobby Hurley.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago I guess Pops couldn't leverage this job for Bobby, No St. Anthony miracle this time. Now the mercenary family needs to prepare for the next move when Bobby is fired at the end of next season.
This wouldn't be the right time for him, anyway. You never want to be the man who follows The Man, because you'll inevitably fall short.
Like most everything in life, it is Always an INDIVIDUAL analysis that matters- Eg. How about Will Wade following Shaka ! And Mike Rhonda following Wade.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I'll take Bobby Hurley.
There are a lot on the list that I would take. !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I was wondering what happened to Pat Chambers, now helping out at LaSalle in the A10.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

College coaches on the Hot Seat updated 12/6/21

Here are a few quick takes and possibilities.

If Pitt gets rid of Capel, a name to watch out for is Archie Miller.
He would like nothing more than to get back to the P5.
He is from that area in western Pa. and would probably like to make that school relevant again.
Also, Pitt has the resources and $ to get it done.
Indiana with all their expectations and storied history may have been too big of a jump for him.

If Kansas State parts ways with Bruce Weber, this would be a great landing spot for Turgeon.
He is from the Midwest and already coached in the state of Kansas at Wichita State taking them to the Sweet 16.
He was already successful in the B12 at Texas A&M taking them to 4 NCAAT in 4 years.

Sean Miller is too good a coach to stay away long, the offers will come in, and programs will look the other way at his baggage.
Same can be said for Gregg Marshall but his resume isn't as strong as Miller's. Also, whoever takes him, his crazy wife will come along.

If Bobby Hurley and Arizona State part ways, I can see him coaching at a good Mid-Major program (or maybe another P6 school) possibly on the East coast.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

DAN Hurley is on that list? The guy that got UConn back to the Tournament last year and has them ranked this year despite a rash of injuries? lol
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago DAN Hurley is on that list? The guy that got UConn back to the Tournament last year and has them ranked this year despite a rash of injuries? lol
He isn't leaving UConn, they do have him as safe, there will always be very high expectations at UConn.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago DAN Hurley is on that list? The guy that got UConn back to the Tournament last year and has them ranked this year despite a rash of injuries? lol
He isn't leaving UConn, they do have him as safe, there will always be very high expectations at UConn.
They do have Dan Hurley on the list in the article, he is listed in the category of "Safe for Now". Tossed this report in the garbage after seeing Dan's name. No way is Hurley on any list.

Mike White is also on the Safe for Now list but after last night's home court loss to Texas Southern the natives must be quite restless there in Gainesville Fla..
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Dan is fine. If he losses in the first round of the tournament again then I could see it heating up. But I think he makes the sweet 16 or elite 8 this year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
They do have Dan Hurley on the list in the article, he is listed in the category of "Safe for Now". Tossed this report in the garbage after seeing Dan's name. No way is Hurley on any list.

Mike White is also on the Safe for Now list but after last night's home court loss to Texas Southern the natives must be quite restless there in Gainesville Fla..
Ramster as a very loyal fan we need to try and take our emotion out of it.
They list him as safe for now because at a school like UConn, their expectations will always be much higher.
They have more NCAAT basketball championships (4) in the last 25 years than any other program in the nation.
UConn probably expects deep runs in the NCAAT fairly regularly.

Actually they have made a lot of accurate calls in the past.

I am sure in Dan's case he is very safe where he is and their program will do just fine.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Dan is fine. If he losses in the first round of the tournament again then I could see it heating up. But I think he makes the sweet 16 or elite 8 this year.
I disagree. UConn doesn't have "national championship" requirements, just "relevancy" requirements.

If the natty was all that mattered, Ollie would still be there. They just want to be relevant and involved.

With Hurley at the helm of that program, they may miss an NCAAT once every 5-6 years. If that. They're going to have a chance every year with the resources and conference they're in.

He just produced another NBA first round pick, has the team ranked, and will probably lead them to another NCAA birth.

Also, what a trash report to not have Cox on it but have Mooney and McCall listed from the A10.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Dan is fine. If he losses in the first round of the tournament again then I could see it heating up. But I think he makes the sweet 16 or elite 8 this year.
I disagree. UConn doesn't have "national championship" requirements, just "relevancy" requirements.

If the natty was all that mattered, Ollie would still be there. They just want to be relevant and involved.

With Hurley at the helm of that program, they may miss an NCAAT once every 5-6 years. If that. They're going to have a chance every year with the resources and conference they're in.

He just produced another NBA first round pick, has the team ranked, and will probably lead them to another NCAA birth.

Also, what a trash report to not have Cox on it but have Mooney and McCall listed from the A10.
Very few programs have national championship requirements.
But UConn, will expect their teams to make deep runs and win games in the NCAAT, just getting there probably won't be enough.
I think Dan will do that and be successful there.

For me personally it's very difficult because I like Dan but never a fan of UConn.
That just goes back to our intense rivalry in the old Yankee Conference days.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They list him as safe for now because at a school like UConn, their expectations will always be much higher.
They have more NCAAT basketball championships (4) in the last 25 years than any other program in the nation.

I am sure in Dan's case he is very safe where he is and their program will do just fine.
Loyalty has nothing to do with it.

Dan Hurley is on the list and David Cox is not listed at all? Enough said. Move on from this report.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Piss on that slimy slithering snake and all the Leg-humpers, and their spoiled-rotten fan base.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Loyalty has nothing to do with it.

Dan Hurley is on the list and David Cox is not listed at all? Enough said. Move on from this report.
I knew this "Coaches Database" report would rattle some of you. I have been told that at times I can be a shit stirrer.

I actually concentrate more on the upper segments of this article rather than the bottom where it listed "safe for now".

I added this article, just to put in my thoughts on how certain changes may pan out.

I can understand why Mooney's name is there, because of extremely high expectations for them this season in the A10 with all those veteran stars back.

Also McCall in his 5th year at UMass is 52-68 (23-41 A10)
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Cox gets criticism and the clapback is yeah, well Hurley ain’t shit either!! You’re not slick :-)
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dan Hurley is on the list and David Cox isn't. Tells me everything I need to know about the quality of it
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines