General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Post by bressler3south »

adam914 wrote:Everybody relax, its the beginning of April. They don't call this a "dead period" for nothing.

Yeah, I like that…...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote:We didn't hear that much about Four coming here, so I don't expect to hear many names linked to us until a recruit gives a verbal/ signs a LOI.
Actually we didn't hear anything about Four coming here. We also did not hear anything about Christion Thompson until the weekend of his visit and then he committed upon completion of his visit.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:We didn't hear that much about Four coming here, so I don't expect to hear many names linked to us until a recruit gives a verbal/ signs a LOI.
Actually we didn't hear anything about Four coming here. We also did not hear anything about Christion Thompson until the weekend of his visit and then he committed upon completion of his visit.
Exactly. No need to get worried about not hearing anything right now regarding recruits. They'll come.
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Post by Rhody74 »

I think we're still suffering from PCFLSD ....
Slava Ukraini!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Post by BFC »

Definitely seems like there's an effort to keep things quiet. Carr had been on Kyle Meyer for a while but we were never on any of his public lists. Now JucoRecruiting.com says we were in his top 3, he would have been a big get but he chose Houston.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Post by rambone 78 »

We have to win a couple of these battles, and soon....

Close doesn't count....
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Post by Billyboy78 »

Losing out on guys like Silva, Gustys, etc. all came down to _______. He screwed everything up. He's gone (I hope). There's a clear path to a starting position for a big now.
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

Post by runninrams5 »

Session 1 of EYBL starts tommorow, alot of players we have been mentioned with are on EYBL rosters. I would assume someone from the staff will be down in VA recruiting.
2016 players:
Tyrique Jones Expressions Elite
Unique Mclean PSA Cardinals
Tone Carter and Lamar Stevens Team Final
Terrell Brown and Bruce Brown BABC
Devin Gage Chicago Meanstreets
KJ Santos Mac Irvin Fire
Rodney Miller NY Lightning
Demonte Buckingham Team Takeover
Jermaine Samuels and Kimami Lawrence Expressions Elite
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, evaluation period is underway. Where will the staff be this weekend?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Post by Seawrightspostgame »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Imagine coming on here one day and there being a guy signed that is tall. :shock: :shock: :roll:
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Post by bressler3south »

Seawrightspostgame wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: Imagine coming on here one day and there being a guy signed that is tall. :shock: :shock: :roll:
Tall --- okay…..TALENTED AND TALL!!!!!!!

P.S. I hope that makes sense to everyone.

If it does, thanks for your understanding.
Last edited by bressler3south 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Post by Billyboy78 »

bressler3south wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: Imagine coming on here one day and there being a guy signed that is tall. :shock: :shock: :roll:
Tall --- okay…..TALENTED AND TALL!!!!!!!
Yeah, Blake Vedder is tall.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Certainly. But Tall. We really need somebody TALL.
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

Post by runninrams5 »

Coaches from URI were present at the Expressions Elite game tonight in Hampton, VA at EYBL
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Post by bressler3south »

Nike Hoop Summit: U.S. Jr. national Select Team vs. World Select Squad at halftime on ESPN2.
World leads 47-44.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Post by rambone 78 »

Expecting some good news in a few days.......
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

Post by runninrams5 »

Danny is currently watching E1T1 vs All Ohio Red at the EYBL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Post by ramster »

runninrams5 wrote:Danny is currently watching E1T1 vs All Ohio Red at the EYBL
Has he been there all 3 days? Any assistants go with him? Bobby on site? Both of these teams with be Peach Jam bound
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Post by CT Rhody »

Anybody know who the coaches at targetting with Expressions?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Post by Billyboy78 »

CT Rhody wrote:Anybody know who the coaches at targetting with Expressions?
The ones we know about are Tyrique Jones, Kimani Lawrence and Jermaine Samuels.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Post by eli#10 »

"Crickets" not good at this time of recruiting cycle.............. WTF is going on?
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Post by Ramulous »

Lawrence may be best served by going to school a few hundred miles from Providence
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Post by TruePoint »

eli#10 wrote:"Crickets" not good at this time of recruiting cycle.............. WTF is going on?
Yeah, what's going on is the coaches aren't feeding stuff to reporters. We know some of the places they've been, and we think we know some of the people they're after.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Post by Billyboy78 »

Two of them got offers today...

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop · 16m16 minutes ago
Florida State offered Tyrique Jones, a 2016 PF from Expressions Elite (MA).

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop · 17m17 minutes ago
Villanova has offered 2017 wing Jermaine Samuels of Expressions Elite (MA).
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Post by CT Rhody »

At least we are chasing prospects that are wanted, now we have to beat out the competition for these guys.
reckless jake
ARD

Post by reckless jake »

What's bothersome is regardless of who you read; Kline, Rothstein, Zagoria, Goodman, Borzello, Verlin, Brazille, Winston, etc. I don't see the URI name mentioned anywhere. Period. What's beyond under the radar?
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Post by STC »

Relax folks. Dan Hurley can recruit. Just because URI doesn't get wall to wall coverage on twitter doesnt mean nothing is happening.

This isn't going to be dumpster diving for the Blake Vedder's and Levan Shengelia's of the world, Hurley is going to get talent.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Post by PeterRamTime »

Blake Vedder is an enigma. He's got about as much athleticism as you can get being 7'3 player, could shoot pretty well but in about 6 years of playing college basketball he could never get off the bench. I think he played in D3 some but he just played his last season with Kent State and they never played him.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Post by Rhody15 »

St Louis, along with UNC, Duke and Kentucky, are the final four schools for Jayson Tatum,
the best player in the class of 2016. Jayson's father played at SLU, and apprantly Jason absolutely loves the city of St Louis, and having all his family and friends at all his games.

Can you imagine if St Louis got him? That would be absolutely crazy!
Go Rhody
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Post by Ramulous »

Someday.....I will go to the Recruiting section and see that we have signed someone....anyone....small.....big.....I don't care which.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Post by rodfromcranston »

Remember when Dan warned against spring signings,
saying they are mostly "reaches", born out of desperation?
I'm hoping we're not dumpster diving at this late date,
and whoever comes here, isn't a reach.
We'll find out soon enough, I guess.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

Post by runninrams5 »

This late into the spring I think we will have to look at guys that have decommitted or JUCO guys. I know we were not involved with this guy in his original recruitment but Tony Anderson a 6'8" 235 pound PF just decomitted from Toledo. This is they type of guy we could look at. He originally had offers from West Virginia, Iowa Washington St he has to have some ability
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Post by SGreenwell »

Ramulous wrote:Someday.....I will go to the Recruiting section and see that we have signed someone....anyone....small.....big.....I don't care which.....
It was a long, hard two weeks ago that they last announced a recruit.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote:
Ramulous wrote:Someday.....I will go to the Recruiting section and see that we have signed someone....anyone....small.....big.....I don't care which.....
We also now have 3 openings to fill with the signing period 20 some hours away.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:
Yeah, and I understand that with the signing period coming up, and three open scholarships, some people will get antsy. But outside of Terrell's recruitment, and the nature of it, there haven't been many leaks from the coaching staff and people close to the program about who they're actually interested in. I think some people mistakenly jump to the assumption that the staff isn't close with anyone, or working on filling them, whereas I'm more of the mindset that far less good information leaks out from this staff as compared to past ones.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Post by McRam »

runninrams5 wrote:This late into the spring I think we will have to look at guys that have decommitted or JUCO guys. I know we were not involved with this guy in his original recruitment but Tony Anderson a 6'8" 235 pound PF just decomitted from Toledo. This is they type of guy we could look at. He originally had offers from West Virginia, Iowa Washington St he has to have some ability
never saw him play scout has him as a 3 star 76 ranking. exactly the same as Butts
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:
1. you do know how the recruiting cycle works, right? This isnt free agency, the players hold all the cards not the teams.

2. just because we arent privy to every detail along the way, doesnt mean their sitting there twittling their thumbs. Running a tight ship without leaks is their m.o.
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Post by Billyboy78 »

First of all, I know we will sign someone. You don't leave 3 open scholarships. I disagree that keeping things quiet has been our m.o. We first heard we were involved with Christion Thompson in Sept, two months before he signed. We first heard we were involved with Leroy Butts in June, 5 months before he signed. We were involved with Jarvis Garrett long before he signed, knew about several visits, and that he had it down to us and Marquette. We knew we were on the final lists of guys like Rokas Gustys, Chris Silva, Aflakpui, Steve Enoch. We knew Alex Murphy was either coming here or going to Florida. The only high schooler that came out of the blue was Butler. I'll give you that the transfers weren't reported in advance. But that's a totally different recruitment. Hey, it's fine if they want to keep things quiet. Hopefully we get some good players. But to say that has been our m.o. is false.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Post by BFC »

Billyboy78 wrote:First of all, I know we will sign someone. You don't leave 3 open scholarships. I disagree that keeping things quiet has been our m.o. We first heard we were involved with Christion Thompson in Sept, two months before he signed. We first heard we were involved with Leroy Butts in June, 5 months before he signed. We were involved with Jarvis Garrett long before he signed, knew about several visits, and that he had it down to us and Marquette. We knew we were on the final lists of guys like Rokas Gustys, Chris Silva, Aflakpui, Steve Enoch. We knew Alex Murphy was either coming here or going to Florida. The only high schooler that came out of the blue was Butler. I'll give you that the transfers weren't reported in advance. But that's a totally different recruitment. Hey, it's fine if they want to keep things quiet. Hopefully we get some good players. But to say that has been our m.o. is false.
I agree that keeping things quiet isn't this staff's M.O. but there's a lot of revised history here. We heard about Christion Thompson when he publicly announced he was visiting and then publicly announced he had verballed. He was never mentioned on this message board before then.
The other guys you mention, except Butts, debuted in our discussions after recruiting websites/analysts mentioned our involvement, its possible their info came from our staff but not likely. Butts is the one guy who we had a rumor before we had any media confirmations and that Alex Murphy statement, even if someone said that I don't believe it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Post by Billyboy78 »

Oh, I don't think the Alex Murphy thing was true either. Just saying that info was out there. I guess what I'm saying is that in the fairly recent past, info has leaked from one source or another. Now there seem to be zero leaks, especially regarding high school kids. Once again, there's nothing wrong with that. It's just different.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:I disagree that keeping things quiet has been our m.o. We first heard we were involved with Christion Thompson in Sept, two months before he signed. We first heard we were involved with Leroy Butts in June, 5 months before he signed.
It is very misleading to say we heard about these guys however long before they signed. They signed on signing day, but in both cases there was not a ton of lead time between when we learned we were involved and when they committed. Also, and I DON'T mean this as a slight to him at all, but Preston played the recruiting game differently than Dan does and was a source for people reporting recruiting news. That is not uncommon for coaches to do and it isn't a criticism, but it is a difference between Dan and Preston. So maybe people got used to a steady stream of information while Preston was on staff, but that isn't the case now.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Post by rambone 78 »

As long as it leads to results, not revealing info beforehand is fine.

Like you said, just different from what we are used to.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Carr talks a lot, but it seems to be not much more than
either purposeful misinformation, of just bad information.
I think Murray was a KGB agent in another life.
He's like, nobody knows what he's doing, but he's doing something.
Cox, you can tell by where the recruits are located, that he's the one on it.
Either that or someone he recruited at Rutgers.
Yes, I miss Preston. He didn't even have to get specific.
It was, "I'm at the airport, heading for______."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Post by rambone 78 »

Rod, it must have been nice being in the loop when it came to recruiting.

Now, lips are sealed.

Like I said, I'm OK with it, unless we get some stiff, or nobody at all.

Then we got problems.....

As for this signing period, this only applies to high school or prep kids.

Transfers, jucos, and 5th years can declare any time.

The question is right now, will we sign any 4 year players, or will it be all part timers?

We need at least one 4 year big. A 4 year PG can wait until next year, as long as Thompson can back up JG.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Im still surprised Biggie is gone. he caught alot of Flak but he had flashes of good. Seemed like a nice guy.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Maybe he read some of the game threads here......
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:
Like I said, I'm OK with it, unless we get some stiff, or nobody at all.

Then we got problems.....
I don't understand the logic here. Do you feel that divulging recruiting info to media outlets would result in better recruiting results? It seems like there are two distinct things here: recruiting, and information about recruiting. You can be pleased or displeased with either or both, but the two do not have anything to do with each other and should be thought of separately. It doesn't make sense to say you are OK with one dependent upon the other.

I will say that for me, personally, I prefer a more open flow of information. It is why there is a recruiting section of this site - fans love it and it is a good way to keep your fanbase engaged. However, I am fine with letting operate however they see fit. I will judge the classes ultimately by who is in them, not how much I knew about them ahead of time.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Post by rambone 78 »

TP, you read WAY too much into things.

Seriously, I was just making an observation, nothing more, nothing less.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Post by TruePoint »

Huh? I'm not reading into anything. I'm saying what you said is illogical.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, look at the added 2016 recruits.
Notice something missing?
Yup. Not one player over 6'6".
It would be nice to see us involved early with some size.